PDA

View Full Version : Electrical New Aftermarket Horns - Help?

Ryan King
04-01-2016, 01:20 AM
So I bought a set of Aftermarket horns for my DeLorean

http://wolo-mfg.com/horns/electric-replacement-horns/model-320-2t-maxi-sound.html

The ones I bought are pretty much like these, just the metal screen covering the horn is different. They are really nice and are Made in Italy.

Only problem is I plug them both in, no horn. You plug them in individually and they work. If I plug in one new one and one stock one they work. But both new ones, nope.

Any ideas? Maybe these require more power to work...? I am puzzled.

Here is the manual. Do I need to daisy chain them together THEN plug them into the cars wiring?
http://wolo-mfg.com/media/wysiwyg/pdfs/replacement_horns/320-2t_english.pdf

I am an absolute idiot when it comes to wiring. So please help me figure this out.

I will send you chocolate chip cookies.

-Ryan

content22207_2
04-01-2016, 01:39 AM
Start the engine and try both new horns at charging voltage.

Bill Robertson

Ryan King
04-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Start the engine and try both new horns at charging voltage.

Bill Robertson

Worked! So then I just cant use them when the car isn't on?

content22207_2
04-01-2016, 01:49 AM
Or buy a pair of less powerful horns.

Bill Robertson

Ryan King
04-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Or buy a pair of less powerful horns.

Bill Robertson

Thanks for the help. Should only really need them when driving I guess anyways!

BABIS
04-01-2016, 04:51 AM
sorry for this (almost) OT question but I was thinking to add a relay for the horns and mount it in place of the buzzer, what could be a good power source in the dash area?
firstly I thought about the purple wire to the buzzer, but looking at the schematic it passes through the "dl & wpr switch" so it wouldn't be that different from the stock set up (even if it draws power directly from the switch).
I am thinking about the B/U wire from the headlight switch, since I have done the "headlight switch relay mod" directly in the relay compartment and it takes power from the the bulkhead brown wires...

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Your horn problem seems to be the voltage drop is to great for your new horns to get both started. They really should have designed the car with a horn relay and larger wire. But since you rarely use the horns we can get away with the poor wiring not overheating for those short bursts of current.

You may have problems if you need a safety inspection done on your car.

Patrick C
04-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Run a relay. Your horn switch on the stalk will thank you.

Edwin5814
04-02-2016, 08:50 AM
My horns worked the same way. No horn when both are plugged in and the engine is not running. I had to start the engine for both to work at the same time. I fixed it by replacing the dirty and corroded spade connector with the two wires on the drivers side horn. You should just replace both connectors.