PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Scothbriting a panel..

painterdave72
04-02-2016, 05:17 PM
I have never had this problem until now.. when i am taking minor scratches out of a panel with scothbrite it keeps leaving weird deeper scratches in places that look like crap in the sun.. I am using pads from midwest dmc and have never had this problem before.. any suggestions?? I tryed using polish to wet the panel first and also dry and it does the same thing.. I use medium pressure then back off after a while... thanks..

Michael
04-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Chances are those scratches were already there. The blending pads are IMO too fine for scratch removal. You may be making the panel brighter and smoother allowing the deeper scratches to be more visible than before. Go to Lowe's and get some dark green 60grit stripping pads. Get the handle too. These work great for refinishing scratched stainless. Once the scratches are out and the grain is uniform, then move up to the 3M blending pads (I get those from Lowe's too)

PS: if the scratches are real deep you may have to use 80 grit paper first, then followed by the pads. I know that 60 is more aggressive but the 60 grit pads are not more aggressive than 80 grit paper.

painterdave72
04-03-2016, 09:21 AM
the scratches are definitly from the scotchbrite pads...

David T
04-03-2016, 01:34 PM

If you are going with the grain all of the scratches should be in the same direction and you should not be able to tell the difference. Graining is just a fancy word for scratches all in the same direction.

Drive Stainless
04-03-2016, 01:35 PM
I know you are a painter, so this may be obvious, but I would imagine that you're using the Scotchbrite against your hand. If you use your hand, you are guaranteed to leave deeper scratches where your fingers are touching the pad.

I use this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ptua0I-TL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Lok-Pad-Holder-in-Gray/dp/B000JKAIVW/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1459704803&sr=1-4

And I find that I get flawless results, if I do say so myself! :blush:

painterdave72
04-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Yes i go with the grain...lol.. and yes i used a block and also an actual scotchbrite block .. both still show weird srcatches in the sunlight.. its pissing me off...lol

cdrusn
04-03-2016, 03:37 PM
I use green scotch brite pads with "bar keepers friend" liquid. Just for routine cleaning. :race:

Gregadeth
04-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Does the scotch-brite pad also help get rid of surface marks/swirls caused by sandpaper?

Nicholas R
04-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Do you ever reverse direction while gaining? If so, this is a problem. Years ago in my first attempts of gaining, I would do this and pretty quickly learned it was a problem. If you go forward and then back, even if it's along the same axis, you'll leave 'U' or 'V' shaped scratches in the place where you reverse direction (because it's almost impossible to follow the exact same line the opposite direction). It is critical that when you grain, no matter whether you're using a pad or sandpaper, that you go slow, and only one direction.

If you can see them in the sun, you should be able to photograph it. Post a photo of what you're seeing; "weird scratches" isn't much for us to go on...

David T
04-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Do you ever reverse direction while gaining? If so, this is a problem. Years ago in my first attempts of gaining, I would do this and pretty quickly learned it was a problem. If you go forward and then back, even if it's along the same axis, you'll leave 'U' or 'V' shaped scratches in the place where you reverse direction (because it's almost impossible to follow the exact same line the opposite direction). It is critical that when you grain, no matter whether you're using a pad or sandpaper, that you go slow, and only one direction.

If you can see them in the sun, you should be able to photograph it. Post a photo of what you're seeing; "weird scratches" isn't much for us to go on...

If you do long strokes you shouldn't be having a problem. Just be sure when you do reverse you still stay straight. It is difficult especially for beginners to maintain even pressure and go exactly straight, especially when you change direction. Use masking tape if necessary to help stay straight. Another "tip" is to reduce pressure just before you change direction.