PDA

View Full Version : LED 3rd brake light install, still experimental stage, not yet fixed

chef4u
08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
What do you think? Like it or not?

SIMid
08-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Different, looks good too. Nice job! :)

Spittybug
08-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Been there, done that.....looks good! Will post again when I go out and take a picture of how the lights look with my second set of louvers (chopped to just the top two) and the clear engine cover. In both cases I used the JC Whitney light bars, epoxied them to the louvers and ran the wire carefully to the passenger side hinge, into the rear fender and to the light board.

Ashyukun
08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Looks nice! I need to take pictures of mine- I used the 90-degree angle LED strips, and they're wired such that the appropriate side blinks with the turn signal. When I get more ambitious the brake light will flash 4-5 times when you hit the brakes, and the turn signal function will work even when you're holding the brakes...

TTait
09-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I got a set of rear louver struts (from Houston or Hervey or ebay? Its been years) that have an electrical terminal at both ends. I would think such struts would be very helpful in doing a nice clean wiring job for single circuit brake lights. Not all that helpful if your trying to make it mimic the turn signals too, but its a start.

chef4u
09-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking about using fiberglass & resin to hide the wires and then painting over it.

jfirios
09-07-2011, 03:50 AM
how is the epoxy holding on the light bars? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my car.

Spittybug
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
how is the epoxy holding on the light bars? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my car.

Haven't had any problem. Key seems to be in roughing up the two surfaces adequately and then clamping in place for a long time. Granted, I don't leave the D out in the sun for hours on end that could really cook things up and cause expansion issues, but who knows?

john 05141
09-09-2011, 04:19 AM
I've had about the same. (middle picture) But I removed it last year, because Welmoed and I are working on a new project. Check out the picture. It is a prototype, so not final yet. The illunitaion for the licenceplate is built into the same unit with LED of course.

But the design will change a little.

john

Bitsyncmaster
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I've had about the same. (middle picture) But I removed it last year, because Welmoed and I are working on a new project. Check out the picture. It is a prototype, so not final yet. The illunitaion for the licenceplate is built into the same unit with LED of course.

But the design will change a little.

john

Looks nice but wasn't the whole point of the third brake light to be high so you get seen sooner. Over the years cars have been moving them lower and lower and it's just to save some money on manufacturing.

Ashyukun
09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Looks nice but wasn't the whole point of the third brake light to be high so you get seen sooner. Over the years cars have been moving them lower and lower and it's just to save some money on manufacturing.
That's exactly why I first put a 3rd brake light on my D- so many cars these days can practically looks straight over the top of it without seeing the stock lights (anything truck/SUV-like that's way too close to your tail...), I wanted something higher up to catch their attention and (hopefully) not get rear-ended.

Dave, have you got a suggestion for a simple (solid-state, ideally) circuit that would allow one side of my setup to still blink with the turn signal while the other side was acting like a brake light? That's the one minor flaw with my current setup, that when the brake lights are lit the two strips that form the 3rd brake light stay on constantly since they're getting power from it and the intermittent feed from that flasher just get lost...