PDA

View Full Version : General DeLorean spontaniously combusted.... I guess I'm lucky to be alive.

Time Machine
04-14-2016, 11:40 AM
414774147841479I was driving home one night and I smelled smoke and the next thing I knew, there was fire coming from the engine. I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher, but the interior just spread like wildfire. I have no idea what caused this and I have never seen anything like it. :flamed:

Michael
04-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Did you crash too because that's a lot of body damage just from the fire?

DMCVegas
04-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Did you crash too because that's a lot of body damage just from the fire?

Pretty common to see the roof collapse as the fiberglass melts and the Spider Cage deforms. Also, it's common practice for fire fighters to rip open the hood during an engine fire. Yet they never bother with the trunks on front-engine cars...

414774147841479I was driving home one night and I smelled smoke and the next thing I knew, there was fire coming from the engine. I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher, but the interior just spread like wildfire. I have no idea what caused this and I have never seen anything like it. :flamed:

It sucks, man. Sorry to see this. Looks like the fire started on the passenger side of the car. What was the last work you performed in the engine compartment, and when was the last time you touched your fuel lines?

Morpheus
04-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Glad you made it out alive, that looks awful. Hopefully your insurance company will pay up.

Henrik
04-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Awful. Just awful. Yes, glad to see that you're ok, physically at least. I'm glad I invested in a fire extinguisher.

Ryan King
04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Holy shit.

Glad you're okay

Mark D
04-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Jeez... lucky to be alive for sure. This is further reassurance that I'm doing the right thing by carrying a fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. Sorry to see your car end up like it did but glad you were not hurt. I hope your insurance company makes things right.

I am interested to know what the cause of the fire might have been... Shortly after buying my car I noticed wetness on top of the fuel distributor from leaking fuel. Upon closer inspection found the plastic fuel line from the control pressure regulator was cracked beneath the outer rubber sheath.

Before you noticed the smoke was there any loss of power, or stuttering of the engine? Or did you notice an electrical burning smell? The damage looks pretty extensive so it's difficult to determine just from the pics where the fire may have actually started.

Trstno1
04-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Whoa! Man, that is a sad sad sight..... Im glad you're ok though!

This has me freaked out as I just completed a lot of fuel line work on my car. I have triple checked them for leaking and have none, but I'm still freaked out about it. I bought a fire extinguisher but am not really sure where to mount it in the car. For now its under the hood until a better place introduces itself.

I too, am interested in what the last major engine/electrical work was done.

Please let us know how the insurance company treats you.

Domi
04-14-2016, 02:51 PM
You're lucky to be alive!
The car has a lot of damage, very impressive.
I hope your insurance company will reimburse the value of your car.
Any pic of your engine compartment before this happen?

bfloyd
04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher

Today is the day I stop on the way home from the office and buy a fire extinguisher to live in my car. Not tomorrow... Today.
Sorry for your loss.

Dangermouse
04-14-2016, 03:35 PM
WOW, sorry to hear about this.

David T
04-14-2016, 04:16 PM
The good news (if you have insurance) is that you can get another one. You just have to put in your deductible and you should be able to find another. The "take away" here is to carry a small fire extinguisher and if you can get it out while it is still small you have a chance of saving it. By the time the F/D gets there there is no chance at all. What work was done recently, was there any fuel system work or electrical system work?

Nicholas R
04-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Holy cow man, that sucks. Definitely glad you're okay; nothing more important than that. I'd say salvage what you can but it looks like there's very little left. Really sorry about this.

For everyone asking you what you did or changed recently... I'm not sure I'd be discussing what work you may or may not have done recently on the car (at least not publicly). The last thing you need is the insurance company deciding that this was caused by you or some work you did on the car, and therefore denying your claim. For now it may be better to continue with the "spontaneous combustion" until everything is resolved. Just my two cents.

Rich_NYS
04-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Glad you're OK, sorry to hear about the car.

refugeefromcalif
04-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Very sorry to see and hear about your DeLorean and I'm glad you didn't get hurt. (Cars can always be replaced).

Like many others I carry a fire extinguisher in my car.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15507&d=1355771722

I hope your insurance will allow you to get another one.

George

mr_maxime
04-14-2016, 06:44 PM
That's terrible, especially after owning it for such a short amount of time.

PJ Grady Inc.
04-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss and physical close call. If you wind up with another Delorean I trust you won't overlook carrying a fire extinguisher next time. This unfortunate event reminds me of six things.
1) While I recommend everyone carry a fire extinguisher, even with a newer car, it is particularly important as cars age and fuel and electrical systems deteriorate. The car/life you save could be your own...or someone else's!
2) While this likely started as a fuel fire it most certainly ended up one.
3) Everyone still running the original plastic/rubber fuel lines should be thinking strongly of updating to braided stainless lines or DEFINATELY CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER.
4) Always replace all copper fuel seals when removing/replacing fuel components.
5) Do not attempt unassisted fuel system repairs if you're lacking in the proper tools, parts, or knowledge.
6) Although I trust my mechanical abilities and my fuel system is upgraded on my personal car I still carry a fire extinguisher and so should you.
Rob

Patrick C
04-14-2016, 07:42 PM
So sorry to hear and see this, but I am glad to hear that you made it out unharmed.

Peripatetic
04-14-2016, 11:19 PM
I'm very sorry to see this and I'm glad you're ok. I'll be getting an extinguisher before I go another millimeter.

Also, maybe don't mention any changes you've done until you have the insurance on your side. The chances of them finding out anything is probably really small, but why risk it?

dodint
04-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Wow. You just bought that up in ND I think. So sorry mate.

norcimo
04-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Sorry for your loss.
but its good your ok.

Im going tho buy an fire extinguisher too.

chris williams
04-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Sorry to see that, it's not a pretty sight but at least your safe and well that's all that counts. I had to loan an extinguisher from my work van a couple of weeks ago to a 2015 Transit Custom that went up in smoke in a supermarket car park, fortunately under bonnet fire and was put out very quickly but it happens to old and new cars.
Chris

Tamir A.
04-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Wow. That's terrible. But glad you weren't hurt. Hope you are back in another DeLorean soon.

Stainless
04-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Is there a trick to identify if the fuel lines on the car are stock or have been replaced? I suspect mine are SS lines with black tubing to make it look stock, but want to know for sure.

DavidProehl
04-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Is there a trick to identify if the fuel lines on the car are stock or have been replaced? I suspect mine are SS lines with black tubing to make it look stock, but want to know for sure.

Stock fuel lines are fatter, and look like this:

Stainless lines look like this:

My SS lines are also covered in black, but they are still thin like these.

Farrar
04-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the "My DeLorean caught on fire but I survived" club! :)

Very glad you're OK. Cars are replaceable -- people are not.

DMC-81
04-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Glad you're OK, sorry to hear about the car.

+1

Shark Pilot
04-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Holy SCHNARKEES I'm getting a fire extinguisher tomorrow and I have braided steel fuel lines. Just not worth losing a car I've worked so hard on for so long (oh yeah...or losing my life). Thanks for posting this as a reminder to US ALL to have one and glad you're ok.

Michael
04-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Holy SCHNARKEES I'm getting a fire extinguisher tomorrow and I have braided steel fuel lines. Just not worth losing a car I've worked so hard on for so long (oh yeah...or losing my life).

I have had san extinguisher since day one, but if I'm honest I need to replace it as I'm sure it's way past due to be replaced.

I can tell you one thing, if I am in a car on fire, the extinguisher is there to help me get out (and my passenger if I happen to like them)...not risk my life to go back and fight the fire.

Jonathan
04-23-2016, 08:42 AM
I have had san extinguisher since day one, but if I'm honest I need to replace it as I'm sure it's way past due to be replaced.

I can tell you one thing, if I am in a car on fire, the extinguisher is there to help me get out (and my passenger if I happen to like them)...not risk my life to go back and fight the fire.

I'm in the same camp as Michael on this one.

The fire extinguisher I have with me in my car is either to help someone else or to fight a small one in my own car.

And small for me means it's limited to only an electrical fire in the passenger cabin. If it is a fire in the engine bay, regardless of whether it is already into the fuel system, there is no way I am risking fumbling with the lower cover release latch to get access to spray the flames. I don't think you're going to do any good spraying it from above without that cover out of the way, and there's no way I'm risking my life trying to get it open. Not to mention if you do get it open, you've just fed the fire with a new blast of oxygen. No thanks.

81dmc
04-23-2016, 12:18 PM
This is why I'm replacing the rest of my hoses that aren't stainless (frequency valve lines, return line, main feed line). I simply have put too much time and money into my car to only save a few bucks.

To OP, sorry for your loss.

DMC-81
04-23-2016, 03:50 PM
This is why I'm replacing the rest of my hoses that aren't stainless (frequency valve lines, return line, main feed line). I simply have put too much time and money into my car to only save a few bucks.

To OP, sorry for your loss.

Agreed. Me too. I just got motivated to install a SS main feed line and a new filter. Man, what a job!! Next is installing the return line. I'll have to research the FV lines.

At the tech day a month ago, an owner was saying that he lifted the mixture unit up so that he could work on the area below it, and when he did, all the original injector hoses cracked. I think at this point, you're taking your chances if you are still running the original ones.

RichG
04-23-2016, 11:28 PM
I have stock fuel hoses. I noticed a lot of DeLoreans upgraded to SS fuel lines while I was at DMA's spring social today. I'm gonna order SS fuel lines AND keep a small fire extinguisher in the car.

MML
04-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Heartbreaking to see this happen! I’m glad you’re ok though.

This sort of thing scares the hell out of me. Is there a complete checklist of what hoses should be replaced, along with their part numbers? I’d like to replace anything that needs replacing as soon as I can but I'd need part numbers to be sure.

MTDMC
04-25-2016, 08:40 PM
That sucks. I already have a fire extingusher in my car.

funkstuf
04-25-2016, 09:49 PM

Been Down That Road, and it ain't pretty.

funkstuf
04-25-2016, 10:59 PM
I have stock fuel hoses. I noticed a lot of DeLoreans upgraded to SS fuel lines while I was at DMA's spring social today. I'm gonna order SS fuel lines AND keep a small fire extinguisher in the car.

Updating is a good idea. This seems to be a problem especially if someone has been working on their car and they move the lines around a bit. They become quite brittle with time, and moving them a small amount can cause micro-cracks. We believe that's what happened to my car, seen in a picture above. This happened just as the car pulled out of a parade after idling through the parade for about an hour After that incident, nearly everyone in the PNDC upgraded to the stainless braided lines, including myself on my two other Deloreans.

louielouie2000
04-26-2016, 11:47 AM
I was driving home one night and I smelled smoke and the next thing I knew, there was fire coming from the engine. I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher, but the interior just spread like wildfire. I have no idea what caused this and I have never seen anything like it. :flamed:

I'm sure you're already deep into talks with your insurance company, but keep in mind the figure they offer you as a replacement value is negotiable. It's all a waiting game; if you are able and willing to hold out, you can most certainly secure a better payment for your car than what the company initially offers. If you've got receipts for work done to the car (even if they are prior to your ownership), use those in your discussions, and drive home how the car's service history bolsters its value and sets it apart from the crowd. Gather up a large listing of every DeLorean currently for sale right now as evidence of your car's value; their asking prices are almost certainly higher than what you paid. Though it took a couple of months, I was able to essentially double the initial amount I was offered for my DeLorean following my encounter with a drunk driver. Patience and persistence are key.

Stainless
04-26-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm sure you're already deep into talks with your insurance company, but keep in mind the figure they offer you as a replacement value is negotiable. It's all a waiting game; if you are able and willing to hold out, you can most certainly secure a better payment for your car than what the company initially offers. If you've got receipts for work done to the car (even if they are prior to your ownership), use those in your discussions, and drive home how the car's service history bolsters its value and sets it apart from the crowd. Gather up a large listing of every DeLorean currently for sale right now as evidence of your car's value; their asking prices are almost certainly higher than what you paid. Though it took a couple of months, I was able to essentially double the initial amount I was offered for my DeLorean following my encounter with a drunk driver. Patience and persistence are key.

Wouldn't that only apply for a stated value policy and not an agreed value policy? I doubt you'll be able to negotiate an agreed value policy as you already agreed what the vehicle was worth before writing the policy.

louielouie2000
04-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't that only apply for a stated value policy and not an agreed value policy? I doubt you'll be able to negotiate an agreed value policy as you already agreed what the vehicle was worth before writing the policy.

Absolutely. Back when I was an owner, most DeLoreans were insured under stated value policies... however, the opposite seems to be true these days. :)

dmcnorway
04-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Good to hear you're ok!

What VIN was it?

Jeffu
04-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Been Down That Road, and it ain't pretty.

Gawd...... It still pains me to see that picture. Poor 941. We gotta get her "rehabbed" and back on the Road dude!

dodint
04-28-2016, 06:24 PM
What VIN was it?

It was this car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/121833862844

cdrusn
04-29-2016, 10:39 PM
You might be able to buy it back from the insurance company for $100. Maybe you can save the front left fender which is worth $1500 or so. Other than that it looks like a total loss. Mine caught on fire under the intake manifold but a 25 year old fire extinguisher put it out immediately and was only a $200 cost for a new engine wiring harness. Good luck!!!:race:

jmettee
04-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Maybe you can save the front left fender which is worth $1500 or so.

There's no pic of that side of the car, but judging by the pics that he posted, none of the body panels are in usable shape. Sadly, I think the only thing salvageable on that car my be wheels, frame (maybe?), & some suspension parts. Looks like it pretty much scorched to the ground, unfortunately.

My condolences to the OP.

05-01-2016, 05:54 PM
And small for me means it's limited to only an electrical fire in the passenger cabin. If it is a fire in the engine bay, regardless of whether it is already into the fuel system, there is no way I am risking fumbling with the lower cover release latch to get access to spray the flames. I don't think you're going to do any good spraying it from above without that cover out of the way, and there's no way I'm risking my life trying to get it open. Not to mention if you do get it open, you've just fed the fire with a new blast of oxygen. No thanks.

Smart.

I've seen 2 car fires on highways in the past year. I have an extinguisher behind my driver's seat of the D. It was in the trunk but after hearing these stories I moved it to where I can grab it in under 5 seconds.

I need to order another one for my daily driver as it is a good first-aid-type of item as far as "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." But no way would I be opening latches to fight a raging fire.

Lwanmtr
05-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Crickey! Thank goodness you got out unscathed from that. Sucks about the car...though on the plus side, if any of the stainless parts are salvagable, it should be easier to remove the red paint.

Im adding fire extinguisher to my list of things to buy.....and adding fuel system to my list of things to have DMCNW do when I can get it up there for the big mechanical work that I cant do.

Maybe someone could invent a fire suppression setup for the engine bay...hehe

Peripatetic
05-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Crickey! Thank goodness you got out unscathed from that. Sucks about the car...though on the plus side, if any of the stainless parts are salvagable, it should be easier to remove the red paint.

Im adding fire extinguisher to my list of things to buy.....and adding fuel system to my list of things to have DMCNW do when I can get it up there for the big mechanical work that I cant do.

Maybe someone could invent a fire suppression setup for the engine bay...hehe
I know such a thing exists, but I can't find it anywhere online. It's like this tube thing you line the engine compartment with and then the fire damages it enough and then it releases the suppressant.

This is why we should invest in alternative energies (https://healingtreefarm.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/horse-delorean.jpg).

Time Machine
05-03-2016, 01:18 AM
And here it is

https://youtu.be/k8Kwha8lC8s

https://youtu.be/k8Kwha8lC8s

Time Machine
05-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the "My DeLorean caught on fire but I survived" club! :)

Congratulations, you're the first person to make me laugh about this.

Time Machine
05-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Today is the day I stop on the way home from the office and buy a fire extinguisher to live in my car. Not tomorrow... Today.
Sorry for your loss.

I hope that this information helps someone in the future. I think they should make a sticky thread telling people to invest in a fire extinguisher. If I would have had one, I could have saved my car.

skill
05-08-2016, 03:16 AM
I hope that this information helps someone in the future. I think they should make a sticky thread telling people to invest in a fire extinguisher. If I would have had one, I could have saved my car.

TimeMachine, so sorry about your loss. Materials can be replaced. You'll have your dream machine again. I hope people come out to donate on your GoFund. If not already shared on social media... i hope people can spread the word about this. Again, seriously bothering to watch what you went through and sorry! It's a serious reminder to all Delorean owner's to be prepared.

I went ahead and bought the KID21006287 - Kidde FX511 Automobile Fire Extinguisher for $18 on Amazon.

If you have a Facebook please share his Gofund page with your friends and give. https://www.gofundme.com/229ypg4

David T
05-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Having a fire extinguisher and knowing how to use it are 2 different things. I had a car fire once and when I opened the hood the fire really took off quickly once it was able to get more air. I didn't have a fire extinguisher but if I did I would have to have had it ready and aiming at the motor the second I opened the hood. By the time a bus stopped and the driver ran out with his fire extinguisher it was already more than it could handle. I am not saying you shouldn't have a fire extinguisher, what I am trying to warn everyone is you also need to know what you are doing.

dn010
05-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Why the need for crowd funding, did something happen with the insurance?

Rich_NYS
05-11-2016, 11:24 PM
I know such a thing exists, but I can't find it anywhere online. It's like this tube thing you line the engine compartment with and then the fire damages it enough and then it releases the suppressant.

This is why we should invest in alternative energies (https://healingtreefarm.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/horse-delorean.jpg).

I was thinking of rigging one of these in the engine compartment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4HKPoDHZw

Lwanmtr
05-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Looks neat

DMC-81
05-12-2016, 07:30 AM
I was thinking of rigging one of these in the engine compartment:

Wow, that's an impressive product!

Morpheus
05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
I went ahead and bought the KID21006287 - Kidde FX511 Automobile Fire Extinguisher for $18 on Amazon.

I just went and did the same thing. It arrived yesterday. You can't beat the price, and it's silver to boot!

Some guy
05-12-2016, 03:17 PM
So all the talk of no fire wall has me asking the question....

Do we have any options?

Is there a flexible material we can add to the interior of the engine compartment?

Is there a fire retardant materials available, that would even make a difference?

dn010
05-12-2016, 03:23 PM
I have this zip tied to the upper engine cover:

http://www.amazon.com/BlazeCut-Automatic-Suppression-Automotive-Extinguisher/dp/B00D7M3E7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463080989&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+suppression

I also carry an extinguisher in the cabin.

Do we have any options?

Is there a flexible material we can add to the interior of the engine compartment?

Is there a fire retardant materials available, that would even make a difference?

Jonathan
05-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Do we have any options?

I think these are two different conversations. One is saving YOU and the other is about saving the CAR. Out of any car fires that I've seen discussed, it never seems to be a life and death situation regarding the driver or passenger getting out safely and in time. Most guys seem to get out but then are wondering if they should try to go back to the car, with or without a fire extinguisher, and save it from being a total loss.

My 2 cents were that I carry a fire extinguisher (sitting on the shelf behind the cargo net for those asking the "where to mount" questions) but it's only going to be used for an electrical fire if one starts in the dash area or behind the passenger seat. If one gets going in the engine bay and ultimately involves fuel, I'll be getting my butt outta that car and parking it somewhere a safe distance away to watch it burn while the real fire fighters may or may not have arrived in time to help. Me and my little 5 lb fire extinguisher aren't going near the engine bay thanks.

DL4567
05-12-2016, 08:02 PM
OMG, what happened with the insurance.... it's the answer people have been waiting for since this thread was started.

Peripatetic
05-13-2016, 12:00 AM
I have this zip tied to the upper engine cover:

http://www.amazon.com/BlazeCut-Automatic-Suppression-Automotive-Extinguisher/dp/B00D7M3E7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463080989&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+suppression

I also carry an extinguisher in the cabin.This is the thing I was thinking about.

dn010
05-13-2016, 07:34 AM
The issue with it is it needs to burn to activate, it's much better suited in a sheet metal environment. Once the fire begins it will also take out the engine cover before the thing goes off.

I've reused copper washers, I've had fuel dump from a broken accumulator line - I consider myself extremely lucky. Now with a different engine, my worries are still there but much less.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Farrar
05-13-2016, 10:08 AM
The issue with it is it needs to burn to activate, it's much better suited in a sheet metal environment. Once the fire begins it will also take out the engine cover before the thing goes off.

FWIW, #2613's engine cover was just fine after a fire of several minutes. The stickers, not so much. Every fire is different, of course. Mine was not fuel, mine was electrical (distributor cap and spark plug wires were burning). Plastic and rubber probably burn at a lower temperature than gasoline...?

I only had an el-cheapo fire extinguisher available, so it left white powder everywhere, but it was better than nothing. Now that I know better, I'm going with one of the Kidde extinguishers, as linked above and elsewhere, after the new engine goes in. (Engine replacement is AFAIK not related to fire, BTW - fire happened in 2008 and I drove for a few more years before engine failed.)

N.B. I kept the extinguisher in the gap between the passenger seat and the side of the car's interior. DO NOT DO THIS: after a few months I noticed it was creating an extinguisher-shaped dent in the side bolster. :( I moved it to behind the passenger seat. I hardly ever have a passenger, anyway, and none of them is ever tall enough to warrant putting the seat all the way back.

content22207_2
05-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Just put the extinguisher on the parcel shelf. A 5 pounder fits perfectly:

(Please note the hat next to it -- every single vehicle I own carries a fire extinguisher and a hat, to keep the sun off my bald spot).

There seems to be some confusion about car fires. First and foremost they don't instantaneously explode in a ball of flame like the movies. If you don't believe me, just ask a professional firefighter. Tires and battery will eventually burst, but the vehicle's been burning for at least 5 minutes when that happens, typically longer. Extremely rare for the gas tank to explode. It does happen, but the car's typically been burning for 20 minutes to half hour before that happens (fire has to travel from one end of the car to the other).

Second, know how to use your fire extinguisher. Shooting it anywhere except the base of the flames is a waste. Shooting it long distance is a waste. Remember that you've only got a limited amount of compressed nitrogen to work with, so don't go shooting it off willy nilly. 2 lbs extinguishers typically only have 100 PSI of nitrogen. 5 pounders are 150-200 PSI. You will run out of nitrogen before you run out of powder.

Year of manufacture is stamped or cast into the bottom of the tank. Most fire extinguisher companies won't even inspect an extinguisher more than 10 years old. You don't have to throw away an out of date extinguisher, but don't put leave it on the hook in the kitchen -- move it into the garage. Whenever I set the grass on fire while welding I use an old extinguisher to put it out (actually I use an extinguisher I've recharged myself with baking soda and compressed air, but please don't tell pontificators and prevaricators that). No sense using a good extinguisher to put out a little grass fire.

Fire extinguishers on my bus -- 5 and 7 lbs:

It's not at all uncommon the see commercial vehicle brakes catch fire from a dragging brake shoe.

Bill Robertson

dodint
05-13-2016, 01:10 PM
I had two fires in my '87 BMW M6. Both electrical. Prior owner pulled a bunch of fuses and didn't leave any notes as to why. I swapped all the fuses for new ones and plugged fuses in where they belonged but were missing. It turns out the heater blower motor near the firewall in the engine bay was seized. It quickly overheated and caught fire. Quickly put it out with only a little paint (and heater motor) damage with a kitchen extinguisher.

The other was on the highway. Oil seeped from the valve cover into the distributor and ignited everything. No extinguisher that time but luckily it put itself out by the time we got pulled over, very fortunate there. Ended up upgrading the entire ignition system at that point.

When I get my D I'll be a little more proactive, though I doubt I would mount it in the cabin.

davidc89
05-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Also, make sure you shake up your fire extinguishers. If they sit for long periods of time, the powder will get hard and stick to the bottom of the extinguisher. Thus making it useless.

dn010
05-18-2016, 06:52 PM

I've reused copper washers, I've had fuel dump from a broken accumulator line - I consider myself extremely lucky. Now with a different engine, my worries are still there but much less.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I posted this in the other fire thread, but here is a photo of the suppression system installed:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=42040&d=1463611654