PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cold start/hot start

airfireman1
04-15-2016, 05:46 AM
My Delorean does not like to start when cold, it won't rev and sometimes stalls. It never starts first time when cold. I have replaced the accumulator, fitted a new non return to the fuel pump, checked the injector spray pattern and had the rest pressure checked.
On the flip side when it is hot, it tends to flood and not start unless I disconnect the cold start injector.
I can't say anyone here in Perth Australia knows much about the engines. I have had a Volvo guy have a look as he had worked on similar PVR engines in the past.
I will say it really does not like to rev easily and seems to labor a bit when driving it. My thoughts are it feels like the timing is retarded.
I don't think I hear any buzzing from the thing under the air filter but my hearing is shot from 40 years around jet engines.
Someone in the past has removed the otter stat and fitted a aftermarket fan controller but what other electrics have been fiddled with is anybody's guess.
Any clues to having a sweet running engine would be much appreciated.
Vin 12181 the rare one
Cheers

Bitsyncmaster
04-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Sounds like your mixture needs to be checked and adjusted with a dwell meter. Starting the engine is pretty critical the mixture be set to book value. Your dwell meter will also show you if the lambda system is running or not.

airfireman1
04-15-2016, 08:24 AM
I do have a dwell meter, so how do you change it, if it's not within specs? What does the dwell do? Also What's the process for setting the air fuel ratio?
A lot of questions , but better now so I understand the whole process.
Cheers

Mattglas
04-15-2016, 02:04 PM
There is a plug right behind the air intake that looks like this, in the image it's called the air flow meter adjust:
You adjust it with a 3mm allen wrench

Here is a good write-up on how to adjust the mixture, http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3532-How-do-I-know-if-I-need-a-new-catalytic-converter&p=49980&viewfull=1#post49980, it's post #19.

David T
04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Before you start adjusting make sure that the frequency valve is buzzing and the Lambda system is functioning properly. The motor should be in good tune also.

sdg3205
04-16-2016, 02:29 AM
I had a car once that had the wrong spring and shims in the PPR. Threw off the fuel pressure and made for hard starts and running conditions.

airfireman1
04-16-2016, 06:30 AM
I can't honestly say I can hear the frequency valve, my hearing is shot. Is it loud? A high pitched buzz?woud I hear it better if I removed the air cleaner or with that removed would I be able to feel it buzzing.
I have no idea what condition the oxy sensor is either. This car was just occasionally started for the last ten years that it sat in a museum.
It has been a love hate relationship for the last 2 years getting it to where it is today.
This one has never had a cat converter fitted in its life either.

sdg3205
04-18-2016, 02:33 AM
I can't honestly say I can hear the frequency valve, my hearing is shot. Is it loud? A high pitched buzz?woud I hear it better if I removed the air cleaner or with that removed would I be able to feel it buzzing.
I have no idea what condition the oxy sensor is either. This car was just occasionally started for the last ten years that it sat in a museum.
It has been a love hate relationship for the last 2 years getting it to where it is today.
This one has never had a cat converter fitted in its life either.

It's a buzz of sorts. Hard to describe. If you want to know if it is doing anything, wait till the car gets to operating temperature and follow the lead to the bulkhead - it's the bottom rearmost 2 - pin connector. Unplug it. If your idle goes to hell or the car stalls, it is doing something. They can seize up, but a whack with a hammer can free them up.

airfireman1
04-18-2016, 03:47 AM
Thanks I will try that in the next few days as I have a 1200 kilometre road trip to pick up a caravan in my mitsubishi.
Another question is alternators. I have the Duce one still fitted and had it rebuilt recently but i am still not happy with its output. headlights and wiper, fans and interior fan on the volts drop to 12 volts or less. Being in Australia the cost of buying and shipping a replacement upgraded one to here is extremely expensive. A lot of people talk about the saturn alternator in America but I don't think we got that car here so I am trying to find an alternative high output one that will be basically a direct replacement. What can you suggest and what cross references are there.
We don't have AutoZone in Australia and nobody gives a lifetime warranty for anything over here.
Cheers
Dave