PDA

View Full Version : General Bolts on rear fascia

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Should the bolts on my rear fascia touch the muffler? They a couple of them touch and it gets hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan
04-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Quick answer is no, they shouldn't touch.

Can you post a photo of what you see?

I assume you are talking about the bolts that are epoxied into the plastic and then secure through the metal edging strip (http://store.delorean.com/p-6483-lwr-support-bracket-rear-fascia.aspx)?

They can get pretty crooked from the heat back there and then those bolts can shear off.

This is a picture of old and new beside each other:

The bolts you are likely talking about are what go through the HOLES in this strip. The bolts in the photo you see are what secure up into the horizontal cross member of the frame behind the engine.

EDIT: could also be the muffler brackets on your car aren't right. There is one on the left and two on the right side. Take a photo of those too perhaps.

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 01:54 PM
It in brand new installed by Josh at DPI and it is the holes the bolts stick out all the way to the muffler

Jonathan
04-19-2016, 04:28 PM
It in brand new installed by Josh at DPI and it is the holes the bolts stick out all the way to the muffler

Ok, I didn't realize that part. You'll need to figure that out with him as I don't have any insight on how his products fit.

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 05:09 PM
I gave up he won't respond

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 05:23 PM
How far from the muffler should they be or short enough so they don't touch

DMC-81
04-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Hi there,

Sorry that you can't get it touch with DPI Josh. I can't be sure which area you are talking about, but here are some pics that may help, assuming a stock setup...

Other than that, if you can snap a picture of the area that would help.

Good luck,

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Here

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 07:43 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/3be6f75cf0105fa9410185071f404d0a.jpg

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 07:44 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/df4a14433fdb7b0ddae3c5c52a94b1b6.jpg

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 07:46 PM
I think I need to make sure the bolt doesn't touch at all

DMC-81
04-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Wow, that's really close. Aside from the lower bolts, it looks like the top of the muffler is resting against, or very close to the lower support bracket (101764). Does it rattle?

Is it a DPI exhaust? If so, perhaps someone else that has one can chime in on the proper fit.

If it's stock, there should be 1/4" clearance from the front heat shield, and a minimum of 1" at the top of the rear and 2 3/4" at the bottom.

If left like that, I'd be concerned about deforming the rear fascia.

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 08:58 PM
It already is
I bought this car from DPI and it ran too rich and I think I may have that fixed but only have driven the car about 10 miles and found this I'm supposed to have a warranty but so far I haven't herd from Josh at DPI since the 25th of last month and he was going to come and fix the problems but not a word from him
I thought buying a car that was all redone was a good idea but I guess I got it from the wrong guy

mluder
04-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Josh is a good guy... But a busy guy. He's basically a one man shop.
How did you contact him? E-mail? Phone? In my experience he almost always answers the phone so if you haven't tried that I would suggest it.

The work he does is typically top notch so I'm guessing that something has come loose and allowed the muffler to fall forward. Is it a stock header set up or stage 2?

Cheers
Steven

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 09:10 PM
If anyone else has a DPI exhaust please let me know how much clearance you have
Thanks

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Email. Text. Left voicemails I got an email on the 25th that he was going to come here around the 2nd or shortly there after but nothing I don't think he sold me a car with problems on purpose at least I hope not but things like the mirror control missing and he said he sent it twice after he dropped off the car I just want it to run and drive like it should , I know he got my messages

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 09:37 PM
It didn't rattle but it's close , I'm not sure how it's set up but I can't find anything loose He installed it and I hope to ask him about it I know when the bolt was touching that transferred a lot of heat but it's not touching now but it's almost touching and a half inch or so of clearance I don't know if his exhaust system is supposed to be that close but I know it shouldn't touch

DMCMW Dave
04-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Just cut the ends off the screws.

homeselljeff
04-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Ok I'll try that
Thanks

Jonathan
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Josh is a good guy... But a busy guy. He's basically a one man shop.
How did you contact him? E-mail? Phone? In my experience he almost always answers the phone so if you haven't tried that I would suggest it.

The work he does is typically top notch so I'm guessing that something has come loose and allowed the muffler to fall forward. Is it a stock header set up or stage 2?

Cheers
Steven

A good guy may very well be the case, but from what so many seem to experience, he is not a good business owner.

There can no doubt be any number of completely understandable reasons why it's so difficult to get responses from him. That's fine. Plenty of good people get overwhelmed with things. But as a business owner or provider of products and services, that sort of track record with being difficult to reach isn't acceptable.

It wouldn't be acceptable in your local community as a business owner selling groceries, clothing, hardware or prescriptions, and I don't feel it is acceptable in the DeLorean community either. I think it is bullshit to be quite honest and I feel fortunate that I've not invested any of my own money into one of these expensive upgrades and feel sorry for those that did.

If that offends some of you, I apologize. But this is just calling a spade a spade. Fix the communication problems, and be open and transparent about it. That's not too much to ask for what owners have paid towards these products and services.

homeselljeff
04-20-2016, 08:12 PM
I agree I bought a car from him he delivered it and it didn't run properly and has some issues he said this car was completely gone through and was supposed to come back and fix it he also claimed to send the parts then the package was damaged and sent again still nothing it's been 6 weeks
So I have a car that I cat drive more than a couple of miles so much for his warranty
Whatever you do don't buy a cat from him

Delorean Industries
04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
This discussion as been brought to my attention and has warranted a response despite my known lack of time for such forum nonsense:

A condensed break down and a pretty clear reason on why I'm not going to let people disrespect me and waste my time further despite my best intentions.

____Beautiful car gone through with 15k plus invested above what the buyer purchased it for in last three years between myself, Houston and others being involved. A very well sorted daily driver car within the budget with many extras completed post sale on us per owner request. Because I really do care about these cars/

____ Car delivered (with near empty tank for transport reasons) and it clearly stated fill it before doing anything.

____ Transportation bill conveniently over looked after I personal made sure this was delivered. This was the first strike that I over looked at this time.

____ Mild running issue that could easily be addressed once symptoms figured in from above line.

____ Problem can be solved without stopping over or bringing car back to Ohio.

____ Solution sent to remedy concern with owner jumping gun, throwing parts on and not making underlying adjustment.

____ We state what else needs to be done to correct this and give the proper advice to do so. Advice not taken and we questioned after giving an asked for professional opinion. Strike two.

____ While still wanting to help even though my solution was being blatantly ignored I offer to stop out on a return trip from PHX to address the concern after the owner wasn't comfortable with a five min walk through over the phone.

____ After this point that is the plan. Until Grady calls. States the owner is pissed off, wants to bring car up to him, secretly doesn't think what I know is wrong is actually the problem and is willing to send car an even greater distance in the opposite direction and greater distance from me and pay someone else to sort after I accepted an invitation to please come and help without compensation. Strike three.

____ shortly there after UPS returned second package and I haven't gotten to sending after getting back from PHX. This will be done regardless of this as I said I would send extras as part of our original arrangement.

With the above stated and especially the third strike why would I even bother spending my time after not being compensated, being professional consulted and then questioned in my response and clearly disrespected by working to take the car elsewhere questioning my appraisal of the situation after arranging for me to return at my expense as a good will gesture because again I really do care.

With that said I would address the initial concern and anything there after gladly with the car in front of me here as apparently shipping it a great distance to someone else isn't an issue. But at this point there isn't the slightest chance that I will go out of my way to waste my time and that of others to address this.

I'm trying this new thing. I'm standing up for myself and my time.

And of course an insult as posted above can't go without response. That's just not my style.

Jonathan,

You don't know the first thing about me, what I do, my business or what it takes to make something this intricate come to be. Your remarks are insulting and you will atone. This is a niche' market place where I tireless must sort through good people willing to pay for a service, tire kickers and dead beats that waste my time. I would love to see you manage a situation such as this where every day consists of not knowing how or when someone is going to try and pull a fast one. Be it disputing a simple 2k bill after leaving fifteen minutes earlier with a repaired car to outright abandoning a half done 50k restoration for five years without a trace all while taking care of the good owners who do nothing but support you and believe in your company vision and products. I dare you to try and do better.

Josh Bengston
President
DeLorean Industries

homeselljeff
04-20-2016, 09:06 PM
So this is what it takes to get a response I've called emailed texted for weeks why not just call email or text. I had to order the new plugs and pay for them that you never sent
I just want you to honor what you promised me I even offered to pay your airfare to come fix the car So what choice did I have but to try and find someone else.
Why not just return a call. If anyone didn't believe me just look at the emails
I guess your not going to honor your word

homeselljeff
04-20-2016, 09:39 PM
So how about my first question about the bolts touching the muffler what about that the rear fascia is getting damaged are you going to tell me what to do to fix that?

PJ Grady Inc.
04-22-2016, 01:00 PM
So how about my first question about the bolts touching the muffler what about that the rear fascia is getting damaged are you going to tell me what to do to fix that?

Since an answer is not forthcoming why don't you take Dave Swingle's suggestion and cut the offending studs flush with the nuts. You can get around the clearance issue by using a hand held hacksaw blade. It's laborious but effective.
Rob

homeselljeff
04-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your help guys
Jeff

DMCMW Dave
04-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Since an answer is not forthcoming why don't you take Dave Swingle's suggestion and cut the offending studs flush with the nuts. You can get around the clearance issue by using a hand held hacksaw blade. It's laborious but effective.
Rob

Dremel with a 1" cutoff wheel is the hot setup.

PJ Grady Inc.
04-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Well since we're talking power tools now a pneumatic muffler cutter with a 3" 3M cutoff wheel is 5 times faster;)
Rob

DMCMW Dave
04-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Well since we're talking power tools now a pneumatic muffler cutter with a 3" 3M cutoff wheel is 5 times faster;)
Rob

Just don't slip.

Michael
04-22-2016, 11:55 PM

I get from that that a D owner without a cutoff tool in his possession is like a tiger without teeth.