PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Transmission 5 Speed Rear Main Seal Leak

yianni
04-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Hey guys, I have removed my transmission for the third time, I had a rear main seal leaking. The first time I used a DMC seal and the second time I used a John Harvey seal. I don't know if I had bad seals both times or if I am doing something wrong during installation. Any input or suggestions? I would really appreciate it. I have included some pictures of the seal. It is definitely leaking between the crank shaft and the top of the seal.

Thanks in advance.

Shark Pilot
04-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Hey guys, I have removed my transmission for the third time, I had a rear main seal leaking. The first time I used a DMC seal and the second time I used a John Harvey seal. I don't know if I had bad seals both times or if I am doing something wrong during installation. Any input or suggestions? I would really appreciate it. I have included some pictures of the seal. It is definitely leaking between the crank shaft and the top of the seal.

Thanks in advance.

Give Rob Grady a call. Any OE parts I can get from him I take advantage of because he has NEVER steered me wrong with the OE parts he's sent me. He'll also help you out tech-wise if you buy the part from him. He may help you in that regard anyway, he's just a treasure trove of knowledge and he's worked on my car quite a bit so I know him well and hit him up all the time for tech info and parts.

PJ Grady Inc.
06-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks in advance.

This is Jessica at PJ Grady. I just wanted to check in with you on behalf of Rob to see if you had an update on your rear main seal. Please advise.

Cheers,

Jessica

dn010
06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
You'd need to pull the seal and confirm your crankshaft doesn't have a groove in it. If it does, it doesn't matter what seal you use it will still leak. The fix for this is a speedi-sleeve in the correct size or sometimes you can get away with pushing the seal further into the carrier so it goes past the groove.

DMCMW Dave
06-07-2016, 11:06 AM
The common installation error is to have the seal installed with a slight angle to it. Doesn't take much and it will leak like crazy. It needs to be perfectly parallel to the face of the crankshaft.

The other possible issue is knocking the spring off the back side, but that's pretty obvious when you remove it the next time.

David T
06-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Also make sure you are not overfilling the motor with oil.