PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Courtesy Lights Issue

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 02:21 AM
My interior courtesy lights will work in both positions manually, but neither position will turn off automatically or be properly triggered by the doors opening.

Is this just a diode problem?

MikeWard
05-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Not that it helps any, but 4708 has exactly the same issue with the courtesy lights, though it hasn't yet bugged me enough to fix it. :P

Ryan King
05-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Do you have the relay unplugged in your relay compartment to allow the lights to function with the doors? Also, are you running LEDs or Incandescents?

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 04:37 AM
Do you have the relay unplugged in your relay compartment to allow the lights to function with the doors? Also, are you running LEDs or Incandescents?

Hey Ryan

I've replaced all the relays wit DMC updated kit... unless the door one is one of the ones that doesn't get replaced.

I'm running LED's. I don't recall the lights working with incandescent either though.

jbreeden
05-27-2011, 05:46 AM
If the power wires are plugged incorrectly this can happen pretty easily. Or did they used to work and just go out recently?

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 05:53 AM
If the power wires are plugged incorrectly this can happen pretty easily. Or did they used to work and just go out recently?

They've never worked for me. I'll check the wiring. I printed off the circuit diagram.

MikeWard
05-27-2011, 07:22 AM

The wires at the door switch end? Or the wires connecting to the dome lights themselves? As far as I am aware, only the wires at the door switch end were disconnected by PO to save the battery. The car is now running LED's in the door light and dome lights so power consumption isn't really an issue for me. Mine has also had the relay update kit from dmch fitted.

Grover
05-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I am interested to see how this turns out, I have exactly the same problem.

stevedmc
05-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I am having the same problem but am too lazy to fix it. Here is an image, courtesy of John Hervey, with the correct connections for the coutesy light.

John U
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
same problem....also too lazy to get to it right now....lots on the list before it!

Chris4099
05-27-2011, 03:39 PM
If you are running LED dome lights, they will stay on after closing the door if you have the factory white delay module still installed (not replaced with any "update kits"). This is because the module was designed for incandescent bulbs. A quick/cheap fix is to simply remove the white module. This should make it so the lights will turn on when the doors are open and turn off right after the door is closed. Try this and if they still stay on, then you have a wiring/diode issue you still need to address.

Once you have the lights working where they turn off right after the door is closed, you can see about getting the updated version that Dave (aka Bitsyncmaster) makes. It's designed to work with either incandescent or LEDs. Makes them behave much more like a modern car and has nifty features such as parade flashing and auto shutoff (since I store mine with the doors open, this is a lifesaver).
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze109dmk/

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
If you are running LED dome lights, they will stay on after closing the door if you have the factory white delay module still installed (not replaced with any "update kits"). This is because the module was designed for incandescent bulbs. A quick/cheap fix is to simply remove the white module. This should make it so the lights will turn on when the doors are open and turn off right after the door is closed. Try this and if they still stay on, then you have a wiring/diode issue you still need to address.

Once you have the lights working where they turn off right after the door is closed, you can see about getting the updated version that Dave (aka Bitsyncmaster) makes. It's designed to work with either incandescent or LEDs. Makes them behave much more like a modern car and has nifty features such as parade flashing and auto shutoff (since I store mine with the doors open, this is a lifesaver).
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze109dmk/

Would this also prevent the light from turning on when the door opens? Is there a jumper needed or do you simply remove the relay altogether?

Chris4099
05-27-2011, 04:23 PM
No jumper required. The module is designed to provide a temporary ground after the door is closed (which normal opens the lighting circuit) for a brief period of time. With LEDs the current draw it too low and it keeps the circuit grounded. So by removing the white delay module, the circuit disconnects the ground when the doors are closed. When the doors are open, they ground the circuit (module is not involved with this) so the lights should turn right on.

So go ahead and yank the white module out. You really need to do this anyway if you switch the dome lights out for LEDs.

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Great to know!

For anyone else looking at this problem, there is also a wiring diagram in the community location that you might find useful.

cheers

stevedmc
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I forgot to mention that I am running LEDs. Anyway, I am all fixed up and good to go. I corrected my connections and pulled the white relay and things are working great now. It only took a few minutes and now I have light whenever I open the doors. Now it is time for some serious LED upgrades like what Bill and Farrar have done.

sdg3205
05-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Was it just wired wrong on the lights, Steve?

stevedmc
05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
The front was wired wrong but still didn't work correctly until I removed the white module. I currently have a new and improved DMCH lamp assembly in the front and a flimsy original one in the rear. Now I am debating whether to replace the rear unit with a new DMCH part, cross reference the part on ebay with a 1986 Jeep Comanche (only $21 shipped) or to simply leave the thing alone.

stevedmc
05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Another cross reference, and better looking, seems to be a Porsche dome glove box light but the cheapest I have found is $35. At that price you might as well just order it from your vendor of choice.

jbreeden
05-28-2011, 10:05 PM
both of mine had lots of issues with flickering and eventually not lighting up at all. they can be pretty easily rejuvenated by (CAREFULLY) opening them up and sandpapering the contacts to remove 30 years of oxidation. If one of yours just doesn't light up, that could be your cheapest solution.

If your problem is that it doesn't want to stick in the hole(so to speak), taping a little shim on it so it fits a little more snug works quite nicely.

sdg3205
06-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm going to try replacing my diodes today. Where abouts are they located in the vehicle?

dmc6960
06-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm going to try replacing my diodes today. Where abouts are they located in the vehicle?

The diodes for the curtsey circuit are located in the far right side of the drivers footwell, possibly behind the center console trim. #14 (exploded in bottom right) in the photo, dont get confused with the other #14's.

http://www.delorean.com/store/images/CATEGORY/large/3-7-3.gif

sdg3205
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Hahah. So many 14's!

Thanks so much.

Dhennick99
05-27-2019, 02:46 AM
I'm having an issue with the interior lights only coming on when the passenger door is opened. The plungers on the driver's side look good and the door lights illuminate when opened. So I don't know why the interior lights don't.

DMC-Ron
05-27-2019, 06:07 AM
I'm having an issue with the interior lights only coming on when the passenger door is opened. The plungers on the driver's side look good and the door lights illuminate when opened. So I don't know why the interior lights don't.

Check to see if your "Door Ajar" warning light comes on with the driver door (passenger door closed). If not, the issue is likely with the driver door switch diode (the red one). Could be a bad diode or a poor connection at that diode. Diodes are located under the dash to the right of the steering column near the center console.