PDA

View Full Version : General NOS parts running out?

dmcnorway
05-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Hopefully James Espey can shed some light on this?

When looking at DMC Houston's webstore, a lot of original DeLorean specific parts are now "out of stock", for instance the rear tail lights.

It would be nice to know what parts are now depleted and/or in short supply and when they are being reproduced.

Regards,
Stian Birkeland
Norway

DavidProehl
05-02-2016, 03:20 PM
If the announcement that they are going to start building a bunch of new cars next year is true it probably means two things:

They are holding back part of their NOS inventory in anticipation of new build orders.
They are ramping up production now on all out of stock parts to be ready late this year, early next.

So if you are feeling optimistic about the proposed production run, you likely have new tail lights to look forward to. If not, great condition used tail lights come up for sale regularly on eBay or from vendors. I called DMC-MW a couple years ago and got a used tail light off a parts car that looked brand new. I think there are enough tail lights in the wild that you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Michael
05-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Just the same I am hoarding them.

David T
05-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Just the same I am hoarding them.

Which is exactly the reason DMCH will not give clear status on each and every part. Just imagine what would happen if they told us any particular part was low and the replacement was going to be double the price. There would be a run on the remaining inventory in anticipation of the price increase. Do you expect the tailights to wear out and that is why you would hoard them or is it you might want to make a few extra bucks on the price increase?

Michael
05-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Which is exactly the reason DMCH will not give clear status on each and every part. Just imagine what would happen if they told us any particular part was low and the replacement was going to be double the price. There would be a run on the remaining inventory in anticipation of the price increase. Do you expect the tailights to wear out and that is why you would hoard them or is it you might want to make a few extra bucks on the price increase?

Jeez David, it's called humor.

Drive Stainless
05-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Jeez David, it's called humor.

Stian: It's easy to see which parts are NLA by going to DMCH's website and looking for parts with a price of $0.00.

The irony is that DMCH knows when each part is getting close to being completely depleted, yet they don't correspondingly adjust the price. I remember needing a RH knee pad. One day they were available and a few days later they were not. There was no price increase.

Efficient markets allocate goods (based on price) to the buyers who value them the most. The price of DeLorean parts should incrementally increase proportionately to the number of parts left. In this way, the folks who really want the parts can get them, and the folks who are willing to settle for a good used part will go that route. This would also mitigate the problem that David T. raises referring to what would happen if DMCH announced that the supply was low and the replacement would cost double; there would not be a run on the remaining taillights if each one cost $1,000.

I commend Michael for stockpiling taillight housings, true or not. When someone needs one, he will have one to offer that has been properly stored out of the elements and will sell it for whatever the market will bear. During the course of collecting many, he may discover methods of refurbishment create additional value.

In sum, "parts hoarders" provide a valuable service.

Michael
05-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm also hoarding OE door solonoids and fan fail relays....Just a matter of time before I cash in.

Mark D
05-03-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm also hoarding OE door solonoids and fan fail relays....Just a matter of time before I cash in.

There's so much copper winding in those lock solenoids you could make a few bucks in scrap value :tongue:

DMCVegas
05-03-2016, 05:52 PM

I would vehemently disagree with that. It is one thing to help locate parts and secure a supply source. It, however, is totally different when it comes to simply hoarding parts for the sake of simply having them and controlling the supply. All that does is kill the supply on the market,further costs up beyond normal prices, and then creates an artificial demand which further drives up prices.

Using the very anecdote of the knee pad supply, what would have happened if DMCH announced the short supply of parts, and especially raised the price of them? People who did purchase those knee pads prior to the supply being exhausted would according to that logic have paid more and received no additional benefit whatsoever from that. In fact it obviously would have hurt them financially, because if you need the parts you have no choice but to buy them. The only beneficiaries of such a practice would be both sellers, and would-be re-sellers with enough cash to snatch up the then limited supply. People previous to that who needed those pieces would never have received them because they would have been priced-out of the market, and the buyers would have been people who did NOT need them, and the parts would simply have gone to waste. At that point now we have hoarders who don't need parts competing with people who DO in fact need them, and that is where the artificial demand comes from. And again, it's driving up the prices.

Artificial increases in prices through a tampered "supply and demand model" in no way add value to consumer purchases, and as such are in no way shape or form "valuable" in terms of purchase prices nor any misconceived "service" that is being applied. The only true value provided is to the seller's profit margins.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Stian: It's easy to see which parts are NLA by going to DMCH's website and looking for parts with a price of $0.00.

The irony is that DMCH knows when each part is getting close to being completely depleted, yet they don't correspondingly adjust the price. I remember needing a RH knee pad. One day ethey were available and a few days later they were not. There was no price increase.

Efficient markets allocate goods (based on price) to the buyers who value them the most. The price of DeLorean parts should incrementally increase proportionately to the number of parts left. In this way, the folks who really want the parts can get them, and the folks who are willing to settle for a good used part will go that route. This would also mitigate the problem that David T. raises referring to what would happen if DMCH announced that the supply was low and the replacement would cost double; there would not be a run on the remaining taillights if each one cost $1,000.

I commend Michael for stockpiling taillight housings, true or not. When someone needs one, he will have one to offer that has been properly stored out of the elements and will sell it for whatever the market will bear. During the course of collecting many, he may discover methods of refurbishment create additional value.

This is not a criticism but I have often seen in the past instances when DMCH did hike the cost of a part when the supply got low by two or three hundred percent. Mirror switch's and rear tail light harness's are just two examples that come to mind. Years ago I mentioned the practice to James and he said they did it to slow down the sales of a particular low inventory item to allow them time to consider whether making a replacement part was feasible and to discourage hoarding. Both concerns seem legitimate but why they apply the practice on some items and not others is a mystery. Perhaps sometimes it's just an oversight or they just decide to hang on to the remaining stock for internal use rather than up the price to slow sales. I would suspect that would be the case with the tail lights given their "New Delorean" ambitions. Of coarse they could make new ones but tail lights are a pretty tooling intensive (as in costly) item the last time I inquired.
Rob

Drive Stainless
05-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I would vehemently disagree with that. It is one thing to help locate parts and secure a supply source. It, however, is totally different when it comes to simply hoarding parts for the sake of simply having them and controlling the supply. All that does is kill the supply on the market,further costs up beyond normal prices, and then creates an artificial demand which further drives up prices.

Using the very anecdote of the knee pad supply, what would have happened if DMCH announced the short supply of parts, and especially raised the price of them? People who did purchase those knee pads prior to the supply being exhausted would according to that logic have paid more and received no additional benefit whatsoever from that. In fact it obviously would have hurt them financially, because if you need the parts you have no choice but to buy them. The only beneficiaries of such a practice would be both sellers, and would-be re-sellers with enough cash to snatch up the then limited supply. People previous to that who needed those pieces would never have received them because they would have been priced-out of the market, and the buyers would have been people who did NOT need them, and the parts would simply have gone to waste. At that point now we have hoarders who don't need parts competing with people who DO in fact need them, and that is where the artificial demand comes from. And again, it's driving up the prices.

Artificial increases in prices through a tampered "supply and demand model" in no way add value to consumer purchases, and as such are in no way shape or form "valuable" in terms of purchase prices nor any misconceived "service" that is being applied. The only true value provided is to the seller's profit margins.

While you talk about my proposition as artificially raising the prices, your proposition artificially lowers the prices by eliminating buyers (demand) from the marketplace (you conclude that hoarders shouldn't be able to buy parts that they don't need).

The price of parts is based on supply and demand, all else being equal. I'm not talking about "hoarding parts for the sake of simply having them." I'm talking about someone who hoards parts for resale purposes; parts that may have to be purchased individually, as part of a large lot (think DeLorean One), or as part of a parts car.

1. When someone "hoards" parts for the purpose of resale, it does not kill the supply.

2. Define "normal prices." All else being equal, the price of a part depends on supply and demand.

3. If someone purchases a soon-to-be-NLA kneepad, they will have paid more than when the kneepad was in abundant supply. This is the fundamental principle of supply and demand. "Additional benefit" is irrelevant. The benefit is obtaining the good.

4. If the buyer didn't need a NOS kneepad, they could buy a used one. There is both a new and used parts market. Ask DPI if the used parts market affects his business selling new parts; he will say yes before you even finish asking the question.

5. Another fundamental principle is that the markets should allocate the good (part) to the buyer who values it most. In other words, if you value a kneepad at $1000 and I value it at $10, you should be the one who gets it.

6. As the NOS parts supply dwindles, numerous buyers will be priced out of the market; that's just a fact of life. The price of a left front fender cannot remain at $250 when there are 100 owners who want it and are willing to pay $2,500.

7. You argue that the hoarders don't need parts while others do need them, and so the others ho actually *need* the part (to complete an incomplete car, for example) should get them. This sounds great, but it's completely artificial. As Adam Smith said in The Wealth of Nations (1776), competitive markets send resources to uses in which they have the highest value. In other words, the parts should go to those who will pay the most.

In our case here, if the value of left front fender continues to rise, at some point it will become profitable to reproduce them, which will increase supply and reduce the price. We already saw this phenomenon with the $1,500-$2,000 torsion bars that were being sold. At that valuation, it was worthwhile for DMOCO to manufacture them without losing their shirt. As soon as the $850 bars hit the market, the valuation of the originals decreased to roughly the same price. :thumbup2:

DMCVegas
05-03-2016, 07:46 PM
While you talk about my proposition as artificially raising the prices, your proposition artificially lowers the prices by eliminating buyers (demand) from the marketplace (you conclude that hoarders shouldn't be able to buy parts that they don't need).

You sound like a day trader. The kind of people who eschew the mantra of "A penny saved is a penny earned", and instead live by the rule of "A penny not invested is 3 pennies lost" where even though you didn't actually loose any wealth, you complain like you did.

Your statement/interpretation is actually incorrect. Maintaining a price is NOT lowering it in the least given the fact that there is no physical negative cash flow. What we have here is a finite supply of parts, and a naturally occurring amount of buyers who are in need of said parts. Hoarding parts is indeed creating an artificial demand by creating buyers out of no where and thus falsifying the demand for parts, and ultimately increasing the value for no other reason than re-sellers who wish to cash in.

Let me explain using the most elementary example possible: If for instance we have a ratio of one buyer for a part (who is in a real, actual need of it) and one part to sell them, we then have a 1:1 ratio of buyers for parts. That is the natural supply and demand. When you introduce a hoarder into the mix (someone who simply buys parts for the sake of stockpiling them rather than out of actual necessity for the part itself to fulfill the function for which it was designed), the number of parts remains the same, except that now there are two buyers, and we now have a 2:1 ratio. Yes, that is a false demand.

The price of parts is based on supply and demand, all else being equal. I'm not talking about "hoarding parts for the sake of simply having them." I'm talking about someone who hoards parts for resale purposes; parts that may have to be purchased individually, as part of a large lot (think DeLorean One), or as part of a parts car.

All else may be equal, but you're tipping the balance as I previously explained and skewing the ratios of supply and demand for no other reason than personal, financial gain. That is not right.

1. When someone "hoards" parts for the purpose of resale, it does not kill the supply.

Yes it does. It removes the available supply from competing sources. This is otherwise known as a Monopoly. DeLorean One is a prime example. Ed trolled the DML for people's VINs, and anyone he saw he refused to sell parts to. So when you're at the mercy of a sole vendor/re-seller whom you have pissed off and then they decide not to sell a part to you, then yes, your supply has been killed since access to it has now been terminated. And you can't use the argument that people could just go to DMCH or P.J. Grady, because when you've got a hoarder, you don't have such options and alternatives. Just something to think about.

Again too is the aspect of "Resale". It's there to make a profit, and with some parts the price may now be too high for someone to afford, so their access then gets cut off as well if they can't afford the part.

2. Define "normal prices." All else being equal, the price of a part depends on supply and demand.

Normal prices are based upon existing vendors and direct supply sources, minus re-sellers and flippers who parasitically drain money from buyers by forcefully injecting themselves as unnecessary middlemen.

3. If someone purchases a soon-to-be-NLA kneepad, they will have paid more than when the kneepad was in abundant supply. This is the fundamental principle of supply and demand. "Additional benefit" is irrelevant. The benefit is obtaining the good.

The benefit goes way beyond simple obtaining of goods. There is also benefit of obtaining them fairly, as well as without artificial inflation from cruel profiteers.

4. If the buyer didn't need a NOS kneepad, they could buy a used one. There is both a new and used parts market. Ask DPI if the used parts market affects his business selling new parts; he will say yes before you even finish asking the question.

Some parts you simply cannot buy used, and other times when you can there is the problem of quality among them. Taillights are a prime example for when it comes to lens fading. But what does it matter if it's NOS or used if a hoarder is snapping all of these parts up and jacking up the prices at the expense of others.

5. Another fundamental principle is that the markets should allocate the good (part) to the buyer who values it most. In other words, if you value a kneepad at $1000 and I value it at $10, you should be the one who gets it.

The price one is willing to pay isn't always out of choice. If a kneepad is $10 and you buy it up and then sell it back to me at $1,000 because I have no other choice, that doesn't suddenly make it any more acceptable simply because you were to hold me over a barrel. That is the same exact kind of logic that people like this guy right here used for artificial drug price hikes:

http://www.downvids.net/video/bestimages/img-martin-shkreli-and-the-750-pill-drug-481.jpg

6. As the NOS parts supply dwindles, numerous buyers will be priced out of the market; that's just a fact of life. The price of a left front fender cannot remain at $250 when there are 100 owners who want it and are willing to pay $2,500.

Pay to play, eh? So you're willing to tell both future enthusiasts as well as fellow owners here that they don't deserve their cars because they can't afford them thanks to your high prices? Your ethics tell you that your personal financial gain is more important, and holds a higher priority than the actual fellowship of the DeLorean community? Wow.

7. You argue that the hoarders don't need parts while others do need them, and so the others ho actually *need* the part (to complete an incomplete car, for example) should get them. This sounds great, but it's completely artificial. As Adam Smith said in The Wealth of Nations (1776), competitive markets send resources to uses in which they have the highest value. In other words, the parts should go to those who will pay the most.

And yet you also need consumers to be able to remain competitive with their buying power in order for the financial gears of an economy to remain functional.

Yes, someone who needs a part should get first choice over it rather than a re-seller, that is preceisely what I am saying. It's not artificial in the least. Greed is artificial. I'm exercising my humanity.

In our case here, if the value of left front fender continues to rise, at some point it will become profitable to reproduce them, which will increase supply and reduce the price. We already saw this phenomenon with the $1,500-$2,000 torsion bars that were being sold. At that valuation, it was worthwhile for DMOCO to manufacture them without losing their shirt. As soon as the $850 bars hit the market, the valuation of the originals decreased to roughly the same price. :thumbup2:

Not everything however gets a second chance, and sometimes supply and demand gets trumped by copyright and intellectual property rights.

content22207_2
05-03-2016, 08:13 PM
It's Houston's stuff.

They can price it however they want. They can put it on the market or pull it off. They can even destroy it if they want (it's been reported that is where about half of KAPAC's inventory went).

Houston is not a charitable organization. They don't owe DeLorean owners anything.

Houston doesn't tell DeLorean owners what to do with their cars; DeLorean owners can't tell Houston what to do with its inventory.

Anyone who disagrees with Houston's business practices is free to buy their parts elsewhere.

Bill Robertson

content22207_2
05-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Same logic holds for private individuals. If a parts hoarder wants to buy all remaining tail light lenses, that's his business. He doesn't owe anybody else anything. As long as Houston and the hoarder agree to the transaction, that's their business alone.

Bill Robertson

content22207_2
05-03-2016, 09:00 PM
private individuals

Houston is private as well. That's the difference between Houston and the government, or a publicly regulated utility: Houston is not obligated to further anyone's welfare.

Bill Robertson

John U
05-03-2016, 11:05 PM
It definitely sucks when parts prices go up, but the Delorean is by far the cheapest "exotic" car to restore or maintain.

Michael
05-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Wouldn't Mr Wynn be considered the worst hoarder? He bought ALL of the parts for everything and is selling them for a profit. (Is profit a bad word now?)

SamHill
05-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Ever try to feed yourself on fellowship?

Jonathan
05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
C'mon guys, this ain't rocket appliances. Simple supply and command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3QHoqfhX8

content22207_2
05-04-2016, 08:41 AM
On a more serious note: quite a bit of the car can be cross referenced from parts houses, Rock Auto, eBay, etc -- mostly mechanical components, but there are some interior fitting alternatives as well. John Hervey's entire business is based on cross referenced components.

And there's always the used part market.

But most importantly: Houston is still here and still open for business. Unless you intend to boycott Houston, there's no reason not to buy from them as well, price and availability permitting.

Radiator hoses are a good example. I recently identified the Gates upper radiator hose John Hervey is selling (he removes Gates' printing). It costs a whopping $7 less than Houston's hose. If $7 is a deal breaker, or if someone is too pissed off to buy from Houston, the hose can be purchased off Amazon. But in the big scheme of things you may as well just add it to your next Houston order. Some battles just aren't worth fighting.

Bill Robertson

PJ Grady Inc.
05-04-2016, 02:01 PM
On a more serious note: quite a bit of the car can be cross referenced from parts houses, Rock Auto, eBay, etc -- mostly mechanical components, but there are some interior fitting alternatives as well. John Hervey's entire business is based on cross referenced components.

And there's always the used part market.

But most importantly: Houston is still here and still open for business. Unless you intend to boycott Houston, there's no reason not to buy from them as well, price and availability permitting.

Radiator hoses are a good example. I recently identified the Gates upper radiator hose John Hervey is selling (he removes Gates' printing). It costs a whopping $7 less than Houston's hose. If $7 is a deal breaker, or if someone is too pissed off to buy from Houston, the hose can be purchased off Amazon. But in the big scheme of things you may as well just add it to your next Houston order. Some battles just aren't worth fighting.

Bill Robertson

Gee Bill thank you for the non-mention! We still sell DMC parts from time to time and actually have many items made for us as I am known to be a bit pickier than some other vendors about the quality of the product. Owners need to consider all their choices when buying parts and make informed decisions. Sometimes quality costs more but in the end it often costs less. Our tail light boards have a lifetime warranty while the competing board currently has a thirty day warranty. Which board do you think is more expensive in the long run? Our new silicone coolant hose kit is the only hose set available that was patterned after an NOS set of original hoses and fits better than any other currently available. BTW it will be on our website soon as we just hired an extra person for the office whose task is to get many more of our unique products on our site. Then owners will know just how many better choices they have in parts availability and can benefit from them like our service and restoration customers do.
Rob
Rob

John U
05-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Gee Bill thank you for the non-mention! We still sell DMC parts from time to time and actually have many items made for us as I am known to be a bit pickier than some other vendors about the quality of the product. Owners need to consider all their choices when buying parts and make informed decisions. Sometimes quality costs more but in the end it often costs less. Our tail light boards have a lifetime warranty while the competing board currently has a thirty day warranty. Which board do you think is more expensive in the long run? Our new silicone coolant hose kit is the only hose set available that was patterned after an NOS set of original hoses and fits better than any other currently available. BTW it will be on our website soon as we just hired an extra person for the office whose task is to get many more of our unique products on our site. Then owners will know just how many better choices they have in parts availability and can benefit from them like our service and restoration customers do.
Rob
Rob

All my emails to you seem to disappear in cyber space

Drive Stainless
05-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Rob
Rob

I have been running PJ Grady tail light boards since 2003. I was also using PJ Grady door struts from 2003 up until last year when I replaced them with (you guessed it) PJ Grady door struts. 10 years is a pretty good lifetime for a door strut, I think.

content22207_2
05-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Which board do you think is more expensive in the long run?

I'm still running OEM boards (modified), so I'm probably not the best person to answer that question.

Bill Robertson

kings1527
05-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Rob
Rob

Great to hear all of this, Rob. I'm in the market for a few things and it's great knowing that there's a vendor out there that is interested in providing very high quality parts, albeit slightly more expensive however that doesn't factor into my decision at all. Doing it right the first time so I don't have to "go back in there" is priceless. I've had great luck with Houston's products but there are several out there that we know will continue to be problematic if the original design or quality is followed.

Thanks for hiring the help to update the website. I think that'll pay big dividends for you.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-04-2016, 03:53 PM
I have been running PJ Grady tail light boards since 2003. I was also using PJ Grady door struts from 2003 up until last year when I replaced them with (you guessed it) PJ Grady door struts. 10 years is a pretty good lifetime for a door strut, I think.

The newest version is much better but thank you!
Rob

PJ Grady Inc.
05-04-2016, 03:56 PM
All my emails to you seem to disappear in cyber space
Perhaps you're using the wrong address? I try to answer all enquiries ASAP. Try PM'ing me in the meantime. We also still have an 800 #.
Rob

Brian_SS_TT
05-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Rob
Rob

Thank you Rob!
Been waiting for this, looking forward to your full offering. CC in hand and ready to order! :thumbup:

David T
05-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Delorean owners have been VERY fortunate for a long time with the large supply of parts and the many vendors willing to have new stock made. It is also true some items can be refurbished and others cross-referenced. The problem with hoarders is that in many cases they buy the parts but do not plan on selling them at any price, they are bought up only for their own use. In many cases it just makes the part go out of stock sooner and causes the price to go up sooner rather than later. I always find it amusing when people complain about prices on available parts. Just how much would you be willing to pay when there are NONE. All of a sudden you will pay a LOT more! As the prices of parts goes up so will the value of Deloreans in good shape and needing few parts. The POS that needs everything will cost a LOT more to fix up making it more expensive. As an example you buy a POS for $10,000. Parts and labor cost $20,000. Now you are in for $30,000. A nice one that doesn't need any parts should be worth at least the $30K and even more since it is ready to go. As for DMCH they are in it for profit and they are entitled to it. They have costs every day for the building to store the parts, the people to maintain the inventory, insurance, utilities, and the cost of money. They took the risk of buying all of the stuff and the reward is called profit.

Jonathan
05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
About 3 years after getting my 2009 Pontiac G8, I went into the stealership to buy a new pair of windshield wipers. They are an odd size, so I thought I would get the ones I knew would fit. You know what Generous Motors charged me for that? $93. You know how much a pair of replacement wipers are for our DeLoreans? $10.

I'm cherry picking an example that helps make my point of course, and there are other examples that aren't so great, but yea, I agree with others in that a.) we have it pretty good, and b.) Houston isn't running a charity, so they can choose to do whatever they want with their prices or inventories, which is generally pretty fair IMHO.

SS Spoiler
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Stealership....good one!

Henrik
05-05-2016, 07:11 PM
C'mon guys, this ain't rocket appliances. Simple supply and command.

Trailer Park Boys is a yet undiscovered gem in the world of entertainment especially here, south of the border. It's lewd, crude but oh so funny. I love the Rickyisms.

DMCVegas
05-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Trailer Park Boys is a yet undiscovered gem in the world of entertainment especially here, south of the border. It's lewd, crude but oh so funny. I love the Rickyisms.

I was introduced many years ago when someone showed me a clip from where the satellite company comes to shut down Ricky's pay TV operation. And from there I was hooked.

Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys is also worth a watch to see Julian's new car...

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/245730/trailer-park-boys-gallery.jpg

Jonathan
05-10-2016, 11:33 PM

I was introduced many years ago when someone showed me a clip from where the satellite company comes to shut down Ricky's pay TV operation. And from there I was hooked.

Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys is also worth a watch to see Julian's new car...

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/245730/trailer-park-boys-gallery.jpg

Have no fear, I think we have a replacement for TPB. I give you... Letterkenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFenfwyDzwA