PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy a Delorean?

QuadcityDMC
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I get this question all the time at car shows.

I'm 28 now, but when I was 27, I found myself asking "If I wanted to get a Delorean, when should I?"

The car is almost 30 years old now, and maybe 6,000 left, so if I work my whole life and buy "toys" after retirement I should be 58 years old, so now I would be looking for. 60 year old car, and maybe only 3,000 left. Maybe DMCH will close up shop and no more parts.

I'm glad I bought my car when I did, and I do plan on keeping it till I'm dead or it's destroyed. Or I sell it for $150,000.00

sean
08-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Because I like the car and I'm a masochist so.....win/win. Being an Admin here helps with the latter too.

louielouie2000
08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm glad I bought my car when I did, and I do plan on keeping it till I'm dead or it's destroyed. Or I sell it for $150,000.00

I said the same thing when I bought my first DeLorean. Life is definitely good at throwing us surprises and changes of priorities though. :)

louielouie2000
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Because I like the car and I'm a masochist so.....win/win.

Hah... must be why me and DeLoreans have struck out thus far. I think we both like to be the ones in charge of the whips and chains! :lol:

Dracula
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Because I wanted to.

Though, I get that question all the time. I like the DeLorean and I bought one because of that; not BTTF, but because I like the CAR. I also enjoy driving something that I don't see on the road that often or ever encounter another at a car show; though, I never win at those darn things...

stevedmc
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
I bought one because I don't have a brain.

Chris Burns
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Even though I haven't got one yet, I'll chime in. I want one because of my friend having one when I was 11. Growing up in WV I rarely saw a cool car like the Delorean (which is why it made such an impression on me). It's different, cool looking, fun to drive. Once you fix them up and take care of them properly they are dependable cars. I'm a classic car buff at heart, but the Delorean is at the top of my list!

Mike C.
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Because I have no desire to have females want me for my car...

Roman Legion
08-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Because I have no desire to have females want me for my car...

I have a Mustang and females still don't desire me for anything..lol

Dracula
08-24-2011, 01:39 AM
The DeLorean: For those not ready to come out by owning a Miata.

DMC3165
08-24-2011, 05:59 AM
I always liked stuff that's not in the mainstream. I'm a car guy but also a huge sci-fi fan, so being a kid my two favorite cars were a 79 bandit trans am (my first car and coincidentally my first tattoo) and a DeLorean. The more I learned about DeLoreans the more I wanted one. Now I enjoy it way more then any trans am I had.

But you have to ask why anyone likes anything. There are plenty of people out there that are into TR6 Triumphs and MG midgets. I think I heard about a yugo club once? Who knows to each his own I always say.

Jonathan
08-24-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm 28 now, but when I was 27, I found myself asking "If I wanted to get a Delorean, when should I?"

The car is almost 30 years old now, and maybe 6,000 left, so if I work my whole life and buy "toys" after retirement I should be 58 years old, so now I would be looking for. 60 year old car, and maybe only 3,000 left. Maybe DMCH will close up shop and no more parts.

See post 13.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1323-Your-other-projects-hobbies&p=15238&viewfull=1#post15238

"Don't wait for stuff in life until it's too late, do it now."

BTTF-1
08-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Gents

A true story!

Speaking of Yugo's. Once a long time ago in a land far far away. My wife and I went to a Flea Market in Waldo. Florida. You know Waldo Florida it is the biggest Speed Trap in the Entire World. That is the only way the city brings in income. I belie it was even featured on 60 minutes and Date Line.

With that being said they were selling brand new Yugo's at a booth for around 4K. I asked the guy at the booth if parts were any kind of an issue?

He said I could have two Brand new for 7k.
__________________________________________________ __________________

I never really had any interest in buying a Delorean.
However I always liked toys

Now if you are going to have a toy it might as well be the greatest toy ever conceived..
A toy with incredible style. A toy with class and yes it must be extremely expensive.

"A Delorean Time Machine."

Now "How Cool is that!"

Just another thought in time!
ED:nervous::wiggle:

DMC3165
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I knew i was right about this:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/YugoClub/

Sorry off topic i know, but hey, why does anyone like anything?

jackb
08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
I had wanted one since the first time I saw it (Yes, in BTTF). I do know though, that even the BTTF movies had never been made, I would still love the Delorean. Granted, I probably would never have learned of it's existence, but BTTF was only responsible for my knowledge of it's existence, not my desire of it.
So after wanting one for about..ooh, 20 years, one night at work in the breakroom, some friends were looking on Autotrader for another guy to buy a car. And we got off on a tangent looking up other cool cars, and I say "Look up Delorean!" My buddy (who knew how much I've wanted one for so long) gets exasperated and says "Why!?! You're not gonna buy one!" "Well maybe I will!" I decided right that moment "[bleep] it, I can afford this, I've wanted one forever, why not? I'll only regret it when I'm older if I don't do it now" Started actively looking around, test drove one when I was on leave in NY at PJ Gradys, and ended up buying #6720 after finding it here.
No regrets.

dvonk
08-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I do know though, that even the BTTF movies had never been made, I would still love the Delorean. Granted, I probably would never have learned of it's existence, but BTTF was only responsible for my knowledge of it's existence, not my desire of it.

this describes my sentiment exactly.

Chris Burns
08-25-2011, 01:04 AM
+1

SIMid
08-25-2011, 02:57 AM
My father told me in 79 or 81 (was a while ago) a guy named John Delorean made his own car and will have gullwing doors and SS panels. Showed me a pic and I fell in love. Even saw a doco on the telly and I was amazed and became a zombie for a few days after that. I was probably around 9-10 years old.

Then the car became a distant memory, then heard about BTTF and then I got all excited again. Even saw one in Hong Kong (where I was living at the time) as a promo vehicle and some Asian person had driven into the door and people were scratching their head to how they were going to fix it. So from then on, the fasination was always there. My father had a chance to buy one twice during the next 20 years and I was offered one as well in early 2000, just didn't have the cash.

So here I am, FINALLY got one and my wife is now worried what's next :lol:

Lamborghini Gallardo or an Audi R8 :lol: