PDA

View Full Version : General New member - potential new owner

Nate88
05-23-2016, 08:42 PM
New member here, first post as well.

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I have an opportunity to purchase a DeLorean for a great price. First some history.

My name is Nate, I'm 27, married, with a 2.5 month old daughter. My first encounter with a DeLorean was probably when I was around 10. My best friend's dad had (has) one. I sat in it and thought it was cool. That was about it. Fast forward, that same dad became my boss. In 2011 he finally took it out of 10+ years of storage and got it fixed up. After that was completed in 2012, he drove it down to Orlando (from Ohio). I was able to drive it a bit in 2012, but my big exposure came in 2015. In my town we have an annual car show that closes down Main Street and lines the cars up. He is not a car show person so he offered to let me take it. I got to drive it a week before to get used to it and fell in love. It's not a perfect car by any means, but it's the best one I have driven so far (and that's not much) that handles like that. Between me and my dad we put 800+ miles on the car last year!

This year he has decided to sell. He has had it since 1987 and just hasn't used it much lately. Here is what he has had done to it since taking it out of storage in 2011.

VIN 2805, Automatic, Black interior, Gas flap, and grooved hood. 27,7XX miles.
Work in 2011/2012
- Both front brake calipers replaced
- Both rear brake calipers rebuilt
- Both rear brake hoses replaced
- Front brake pads replaced
- Cleaned rear pads
- Front rotors resurfaced
- Fuel tank cleaned
- Fuel pump, suction screen, fuel baffle replaced
- Fuel pump holder and cover replaced
- Fuel system cleaned
- Fuel mixture adjusted
- Idle speed control system adjusted
- Fuel pump relay replaced
- All coolant hoses, including heater hoses replaced
- Water pump and thermostat replaced
- Radiator fan control switch replaced
- Both belts replaced
- Radiator tested
- Oil light switch re-sealed on left side
- Cleaned no lubricated the angle drive for speedometer
- All support struts (doors, trunk, and rear louvre) replaced
- Door torsion bars adjusted
- Oil and filter changed
- Taillight circuit boards repaired
- interior roof headliners replaced
- A/C inspected and converted to R134-A
- Blower motor replaced
- Windshield washer pump replaced
- Tie rod protective boots replaced
- New tires
- New radio
- Upper sections of front and rear bumpers re-painted
- Automtic transmission computer replaced
- Right door window motor/regulator replaced
Total: $8700+

2013 work:
- Fuel level sender replaced
- Repair electrical connection at rear light assembly
- Repair electrical connection at left front speaker
- Clean A/C condensate drain
- Adjust passenger door
- Left side door window motor/regulator replaced
- Right side exhaust manifold gasket replaced
Total: $1300+

2016 work:
- Mode vacuum switch for HVAC repaired
- Rubber switch diaphragm glued in place for HVAC
- Low side test port valve replaced
- Automatic transmission pan gasket replaced
- Cleaned and righted taillight circuit board connections
- oxygen sensor replaced
- Fuel mixture adjusted
- Oil and filter changed
Total: $550

Still needs some work, some weather stripping needs replaced, would like to get stainless coolant bottle and fuel lines, I think it has an A/C leak, but drives well. I'd also like to replace some of the bulbs with LEDs and get the front lowered.

I'd be lying if I wasn't a "deer in headlights" with some of the terminology that I see around here. I would like to do most of the work myself to save money. My dad is a retired mechanic, but has never worked on DeLoreans. He did restore a 79 VW Beetle convertible from the ground up so that should help.

This is definitely a "once in a lifetime" opportunity at the price he is selling it to me. I know the community around these is huge with everyone being very helpful. I guess I just need advice. I'll post pics hopefully tomorrow when I have time to take some.

Thank you all for your time.

DMC-81
05-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Hi there,

Welcome, and congrats on the opportunity to purchase! The car looks like it has had all the major work done to it. That's a plus. If it were me, I would want to carefully inspect the frame as the next step.

As you mentioned, pictures would be helpful.

Cheers,

powerline84
05-23-2016, 09:14 PM
I would say with all the connection you have with the car as long as the frame is good you should buy it. I have had an annoying time so far looking for a good car, had a few deals fall through. It takes a while for the right car at the right price to come around. Some people think there non running cars are worth crazy amounts. I would say you have a unique opportunity were you actually know a lot about the car. I would pull the trigger if I was you, you'll be hard prest to find a car you know so much about the background of, and its kinda a cool story. I am being very patient and waiting for the right car to come around myself. Once my truck sells I am probably gonna go to Grady. Should be an owner this year.

Jimmy

Dangermouse
05-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Not sure what advice you need.

Sounds like you have been taking the longest test-drive evAr 8)

And I suspect you are happy with the price and hopefully you have had a poke around this site and read the pricing guide in the Resources section and can gauge whether it is accurate or not

But if you want impartial advice (away from the deer headlights) on whether it's really a good deal, then post up pictures and the asking price and we will let you know.

Nate88
05-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone who responded. I was able to take some quick pics of under the front of the car.

Jonathan
05-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Dermot read my mind...

You didn't actually ask a question. What advice do you need? Do you want to know whether I/we think you should buy it or what you should do next?

From everything you wrote, yes, buy it.

If you want clarification on whether the once in a lifetime purchase price is as good as you think it is, you can share that number with us, but that number is only for you really. The seller won't know a different potential buyer as well as he knows you, a new buyer won't know the car as well as you do, and anyone new won't have as much trust between each other as it sounds like you do. And that number won't be offered to anyone else likely either.

Having said that, buying something like this from someone you work for, i.e. your boss as you said, could get dicey if things come up in the future no one expected. I'd probably not date my boss's daughter, but buy his old car? Maybe. Depends on the situation and where you think the car or your job is headed in the future.

Without pictures, but with all you've written, and your own ability to research car prices and compare to what he offered and you said was good, it sounds like you should buy it. Ask your wife though first. That 2.5 month old daughter will be changing things for you dramatically.

Nate88
05-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Dermot read my mind...

You didn't actually ask a question. What advice do you need? Do you want to know whether I/we think you should buy it or what you should do next?

From everything you wrote, yes, buy it.

If you want clarification on whether the once in a lifetime purchase price is as good as you think it is, you can share that number with us, but that number is only for you really. The seller won't know a different potential buyer as well as he knows you, a new buyer won't know the car as well as you do, and anyone new won't have as much trust between each other as it sounds like you do. And that number won't be offered to anyone else likely either.

Having said that, buying something like this from someone you work for, i.e. your boss as you said, could get dicey if things come up in the future no one expected. I'd probably not date my boss's daughter, but buy his old car? Maybe. Depends on the situation and where you think the car or your job is headed in the future.

Without pictures, but with all you've written, and your own ability to research car prices and compare to what he offered and you said was good, it sounds like you should buy it. Ask your wife though first. That 2.5 month old daughter will be changing things for you dramatically.

Thank you for your reply.

I guess I just need to know if I'm making a good decision. I'm usually a practical person who doesn't take much financial risks. If it weren't for this opportunity and the ability to drive it for awhile I would probably never of considered a DeLorean.

The financial committee has approved the purchase :).

Nicholas R
05-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Is this Nate P. from the Celebration Car Show in Celebration FL? If so welcome! It certainly sounds like you've found a good car. This sounds like an opportunity that you wouldn't want to miss. If the price is as good as you say, it seems like it'd be hard for you to loose. Even if you have to let it go later, you'll still likely come out ahead given how the market is. Best of luck!! And if you need help or have questions, definitely let us know!

Nate88
05-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Is this Nate P. from the Celebration Car Show in Celebration FL? If so welcome! It certainly sounds like you've found a good car. This sounds like an opportunity that you wouldn't want to miss. If the price is as good as you say, it seems like it'd be hard for you to loose. Even if you have to let it go later, you'll still likely come out ahead given how the market is. Best of luck!! And if you need help or have questions, definitely let us know!

Haha, no not the same Nate. Thank you for the reply though!

Dangermouse
05-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Thank you everyone who responded. I was able to take some quick pics of under the front of the car.

Don't see anything terribly worrisome in those frame pictures, apart from some TLC and touchups.

Without seeing any pictures of interiors, etc, I would say that if he wants:

$40k+, decline;
<$15k - jump on it
somewhere in between - more info is needed :)

Jonathan
05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I guess I just need to know if I'm making a good decision. I'm usually a practical person who doesn't take much financial risks. If it weren't for this opportunity and the ability to drive it for awhile I would probably never of considered a DeLorean.

The financial committee has approved the purchase :).

Glad to hear you got the financial approval with your family. Be prepared to need to go back to the Board of Directors for increased funding and time allocation. Both will very likely be well underestimated. Not your car inparticular of course, all of them. "Most" new owners don't know what they're getting into until they dive in. How could you really? Not saying that's a bad thing, but dreaming about owning one of these cars and actually getting to own one of these cars are two very different things. Try to keep in mind that it is just a car when deciding on money and time and that your wife/daughter should come ahead of the DeLorean. Sounds like common sense, but it's not always that easy to put into practice.

Anywho, just one thing on your frame pic up at the driver's front wheel area. Does this look like a concern of any kind? Can't tell exactly what's going on there from the pic other than it doesn't look pristine.

As Dermot mentioned, frame looks ok from the pics. Your suspension components will not be a ton of fun thanks to that surface rust when you go to remove certain nuts or bolts. Swiss Cheese frames aren't great, but frame damage can be repaired or welded up right. Rusty fasteners aren't the end of the world either, but boy can they ever kick the crap out of your enthusiasm once you struggle with a few of them. As mentioned though, you have a car available to you that most others won't get the same kind of chance for. Pristine, completely rust free cars are not very common, not the ones for sale anyway. The prices will be up there though if you do find one of those of course. Just try to weigh that into your overall decision, for expectations or whatever.

dn010
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
That circled area looks like tow hook damage to me.

DMC-SMA
05-24-2016, 01:45 PM

Would love to use these pictures as a chance to ask the experienced owners their thoughts and learn.

Should the rust not be concerning? Upper and Lower Control arms, Sway bar brushings, etc? Is all of that easy to replace and treat?

Still new to this stuff but based on what I have read, any rust has turned me into a bit nervous nelly.

Appreciate you all instructing this newbie.

Thanks!

Nate88
05-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Attached are more pics. I took a close up of the damage. It looks like a rip in the frame, maybe tow hook damage as previous poster mentioned? Is this no good, bad, terrible, don't buy it? Fixable, now or later?

Rest are general interior, engine bay and a couple of the outside.

42167421814216842175421694217442171421704217342172 4218042176421794217742178

dn010
05-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Surface rust can easily be taken care of. Those arms and stuff like that can be taken off, sandblasted, coated, etc. When you start seeing rust holes or rust stains from the intended holes in the frame is when the fun really begins. Seeing that should make you worry about what is happening to the places you cannot see or access in your frame. With that, some people just wire brush the rust away and brush on a nice coating of rust sealing paint on it to make themselves feel better about it. The only way I've gotten rid of rust was to sandblast all the areas, do all the prep work and then paint with a good rust paint.

Nate's frame, from what I can see pictured, looks like it has mild rust and aside from that tow hook damage which is an easy fix, I don't see anything alarming.

Worry when it begins looking like this:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39656&d=1455200716
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39657&d=1455200719

Would love to use these pictures as a chance to ask the experienced owners their thoughts and learn.

Should the rust not be concerning? Upper and Lower Control arms, Sway bar brushings, etc? Is all of that easy to replace and treat?

Still new to this stuff but based on what I have read, any rust has turned me into a bit nervous nelly.

Appreciate you all instructing this newbie.

Thanks!

DMC-SMA
05-24-2016, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=dn010;197721]Surface rust can easily be taken care of. Those arms and stuff like that can be taken off, sandblasted, coated, etc. When you start seeing rust holes or rust stains from the intended holes in the frame is when the fun really begins. Seeing that should make you worry about what is happening to the places you cannot see or access in your frame. With that, some people just wire brush the rust away and brush on a nice coating of rust sealing paint on it to make themselves feel better about it. The only way I've gotten rid of rust was to sandblast all the areas, do all the prep work and then paint with a good rust paint.

Nate's frame, from what I can see pictured, looks like it has mild rust and aside from that tow hook damage which is an easy fix, I don't see anything alarming.

Thanks for the info!!

dn010
05-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Later I'll try to post a picture of what it looks like now, it makes a great conversation piece.

Nate88
05-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Surface rust can easily be taken care of. Those arms and stuff like that can be taken off, sandblasted, coated, etc. When you start seeing rust holes or rust stains from the intended holes in the frame is when the fun really begins. Seeing that should make you worry about what is happening to the places you cannot see or access in your frame. With that, some people just wire brush the rust away and brush on a nice coating of rust sealing paint on it to make themselves feel better about it. The only way I've gotten rid of rust was to sandblast all the areas, do all the prep work and then paint with a good rust paint.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39656&d=1455200716
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39657&d=1455200719

Wow! Thank you for the visuals. I would think the tow hook damage could be repaired by cutting it out and welding a new piece of metal in?

dn010
05-24-2016, 03:26 PM
It may or may not be from a tow truck hook, it kind of looks like it to me but it's really just speculation. Whatever the cause, that is an easy fix with some welding but- when the time comes, be mindful of the fuel tank and all the hoses in the vicinity.

Jonathan
05-24-2016, 04:51 PM
When there was mention of "tow truck hook" damage, I immediately thought of the hooks actually on the car being damaged (which they look fine). I hadn't realized it meant some donkey tow truck driver had hooked his own chains under the front of the car and pulled hard on it causing that damage. Yea, that's a real boner move, but doesn't look too difficult to repair (for someone that knows how to do that sort of thing... not me to name at least one though).

Your car here looks really nice inside. A man after my own heart, with black interior and an automatic. Fender antenna too, but an early enough VIN that you got yourself a gas flap hood. Your car's dash and binnacle look really, really good too, so considering that and the type of hood you have, you already have a few pretty decent features that many guys consider quite important.

I looked back at your list of the work done on the car and one thing jumped out that I might want to look into further. It mentioned all the hoses were replaced, yet one of the earlier pictures you posted shows at least one of those hoses with a bit of a bulge in the middle and that to me meant it was ready to be replaced, not newly replaced. Thoughts?

Also, any reason you know of why the engine bay light switch is unplugged? Any other lights or switches or gizmos on the car that you know of that don't work?

The lower engine bay cover looks to be cracked over on the driver's side. Also missing a couple of the engine grille retaining strips (http://store.delorean.com/p-10240-engine-cover-grille-ret-strips.aspx)and a couple of the seatbelt bolt covers (http://store.delorean.com/p-10095-seat-belt-trim-cover-exterior.aspx). Neither of those are big ticket items, just thought I'd mention them for you. I look at pictures of cars a little too much it would seem... lol :)

Nate88
05-24-2016, 05:03 PM
When there was mention of "tow truck hook" damage, I immediately thought of the hooks actually on the car being damaged (which they look fine). I hadn't realized it meant some donkey tow truck driver had hooked his own chains under the front of the car and pulled hard on it causing that damage. Yea, that's a real boner move, but doesn't look too difficult to repair (for someone that knows how to do that sort of thing... not me to name at least one though).

Your car here looks really nice inside. A man after my own heart, with black interior and an automatic. Fender antenna too, but an early enough VIN that you got yourself a gas flap hood. Your car's dash and binnacle look really, really good too, so considering that and the type of hood you have, you already have a few pretty decent features that many guys consider quite important.

I looked back at your list of the work done on the car and one thing jumped out that I might want to look into further. It mentioned all the hoses were replaced, yet one of the earlier pictures you posted shows at least one of those hoses with a bit of a bulge in the middle and that to me meant it was ready to be replaced, not newly replaced. Thoughts?

Also, any reason you know of why the engine bay light switch is unplugged? Any other lights or switches or gizmos on the car that you know of that don't work?

The lower engine bay cover looks to be cracked over on the driver's side. Also missing a couple of the engine grille retaining strips (http://store.delorean.com/p-10240-engine-cover-grille-ret-strips.aspx)and a couple of the seatbelt bolt covers (http://store.delorean.com/p-10095-seat-belt-trim-cover-exterior.aspx). Neither of those are big ticket items, just thought I'd mention them for you. I look at pictures of cars a little too much it would seem... lol :)

Thank you for the reply. The list of work was direct from the invoices from the mechanic who did the work so I would hope it is accurate. Could it maybe just be misaligned from one hard bit of hose to the other causing it to looked bulged?

The engine light works, we plugged it in and it came right on. My only guess as to why it is un-plugged is to prevent it from running down the battery when it was being worked on. The door locks are iffy and may be not hooked up because of the issues these locks have. He has told me not to lock it so that is what I'm doing. That should probably get fixed in the future. The engine cover is cracked, and replacements are $600+! Maybe in the future...

I agree with the features, I like the gas flap hood. Another thing it has is the stainless DeLorean letters in the back bumper, I like that too.

Thank you!

Dangermouse
05-24-2016, 05:28 PM
So all in all, a nice list of minor things to do, but nothing that would stop you driving it - a rolling restoration as you might say.. Welcome to classic car ownership.

Now, why haven't you bought it already :)

Nate88
05-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I have started the buying the process, I'm on my way to DeLorean ownership!

David T
05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Keep in mind, just because all of the work is listed as being done, some of it may not have been done properly and may need to be redone. It is an extensive list and by most accounts you might figure there should be little to nothing needing to be done. Bad assumption on an old car. The engine light is of little use and if it stays on for a long time the plastic housing melts, the contacts touch and the fuse blows. Very few owners leave it connected. As for the doors, it is good advice to leave it disconnected if it isn't working perfectly. All you need to do to disconnect is remove the big red wire going from the door lock module to the circuit breaker behind the passenger seat under the package shelf. In your negotiations try to get any spare parts, 2 sets of keys, the valet, the owner's manual, any service books, car cover, etc that may be with the car. Oftentimes there is other stuff the seller may pass along like old magazines, BTTF stuff and so on. Ask and you may be surprised what they throw in. Check over carefully all the paperwork, the Title must match the vin #, the mileage and so on. Once you get the car Titled you need insurance to get it registered so get several quotes.

Nate88
05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Keep in mind, just because all of the work is listed as being done, some of it may not have been done properly and may need to be redone. It is an extensive list and by most accounts you might figure there should be little to nothing needing to be done. Bad assumption on an old car. The engine light is of little use and if it stays on for a long time the plastic housing melts, the contacts touch and the fuse blows. Very few owners leave it connected. As for the doors, it is good advice to leave it disconnected if it isn't working perfectly. All you need to do to disconnect is remove the big red wire going from the door lock module to the circuit breaker behind the passenger seat under the package shelf. In your negotiations try to get any spare parts, 2 sets of keys, the valet, the owner's manual, any service books, car cover, etc that may be with the car. Oftentimes there is other stuff the seller may pass along like old magazines, BTTF stuff and so on. Ask and you may be surprised what they throw in. Check over carefully all the paperwork, the Title must match the vin #, the mileage and so on. Once you get the car Titled you need insurance to get it registered so get several quotes.

Thank you for the advice.

All the work listed was done by a reputable shop that also specializes in DeLorean's. I do understand that it is an old car and parts will deteriorate quicker.

A car cover, seat covers, spare outside door handle, DeLorean World magazine's, owner's manual, and the previous invoices (work that was listed in first post) are all coming with the car. Car also has the spare tire and jack, but some of the other tools are missing.

Peripatetic
05-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Thank you for the advice.

All the work listed was done by a reputable shop that also specializes in DeLorean's. I do understand that it is an old car and parts will deteriorate quicker.

A car cover, seat covers, spare outside door handle, DeLorean World magazine's, owner's manual, and the previous invoices (work that was listed in first post) are all coming with the car. Car also has the spare tire and jack, but some of the other tools are missing.If it's the original 35 year old spare, you don't have a spare. At this age you'll be lucky to get a mile from them. I bought a new spare tire just in case for $80 and I got AAA just in case.

Nate88
06-08-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm now the proud owner of 2805! Now the fun starts!

axh174
06-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm now the proud owner of 2805! Now the fun starts!

Congratulations and welcome to the family! :raveon:

As mentioned and alluded to in prior posts, yes, these little cars have their share of fun in both the anticipated and unanticipated variety. When dealing with the unanticipated variety, know that this forum is full of members who can provide a wealth of help and support!

-Kevin
VIN2234

Morpheus
06-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Congrats and welcome to your new obsession!

Chris Burns
05-20-2018, 10:47 PM
I remember seeing VIN 2805 at DCS 2012. I took these pics and remember it was a very nice stock Delorean!!

Nate88
05-21-2018, 08:40 AM
I remember seeing VIN 2805 at DCS 2012. I took these pics and remember it was a very nice stock Delorean!!

That's awesome! That's when my boss owned it. He drove it all the way from Ohio down there. When he was driving back, I and a couple of coworkers were in Roanoke VA on a job and he stopped to help. While there I got to drive/ride in it, that was my first time driving/riding in it. Who knew 4 years later I'd be buying it!

Thanks!