PDA

View Full Version : How To: Make a replacement instrument cluster lens for ~$15!

Drive Stainless
06-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Brought to you by 43438

Tools needed:
1. Heat gun
2. Metal bending brake - I used the 18" #39103 Harbor Freight brake w/ C-clamps
3. Drill press w/ 3/16" and 3/8" drills
4. Table saw or similar
5. Two nylon spring clamps - I used HF #69291.
6. Tape measure
7. Masking/painter's tape

Materials needed:
1. 1 sheet of 0.093" acrylic cut (using table saw, etc) or sized at 17" x 6.75"
2. Your old scratched-up instrument cluster lens

Procedure:
Once you have the sheet sized at 17" x 6.75", cover the whole thing with masking tape to prevent any scratches during the remainder of the procedure:
Mark off 9/16" from each of the LONG ends, and then also mark 1/16" closer to the EDGE. Locate the brake bar at the 9/16" mark, and the brake *seam* on the 1/16-closer-mark.
Now clamp it down and heat up that edge with the heat gun as you begin to bend it to approximately 45 degrees. You will know when you've gone far enough when you can slip a 13mm box wrench vertically under the handle to prop it in place:
Leave the brake propped in place while it cools. LET IT COOL COMPLETELY! If you pull it out too soon, the lens will distort like a potato chip. It will take about 20 minutes.

Now do the other end, bending in the opposite direction:
Prop it in place and let cool for another 20 minutes:
Now clamp the "new" lens on top of the old lens using the two nylon clamps. Using a drill press and using the the old lens as a drill guide, drill all of the 3/16" holes. Drill a 3/8" hole for the trip-o-meter reset button. You will want to drill the 3/8" trip-o-meter about 1/4" HIGHER (toward the roof of the car) than the template would suggest. I do this by drilling a 3/16" hole at the TOP of the template hole, then removing the clamps and the old lens, and enlarging the hole using the 3/8" drill bit.
You will need to trim the lens at the bottom and possibly the top corners so that it fits within your binnacle. This can be done before or after you remove the masking tape/plastic (if you're careful).
The END!

Note: Polycarbonate is another material that can be used in this application. Polycarbonate does not require heating in order to bend it using the brake. The disadvantages to polycarbonate are that it scratches more easily, turns yellow with exposure to UV, and costs more.

content22207_2
06-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I made mine with a flat piece of optical grade acrylic (about $20 a sheet). Rather than bending the acrylic, I made Z shaped clips from scrap stainless strapping to hold the lens to the instrument cluster. You can see one of the clips peeking out here (picture is taken looking down from above -- clip can not be see head on):

If it wasn't the hottest day of the year (thus far...) I'd pull the binnacle out to photograph the entire clip. Remind me in the fall and I'll do it.

Bill Robertson

Michael
06-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I was thinking why not buy one new? Then I looked to see if they were NLA...150.00 bucks is pretty steep for a lens.

I like Matt's approach. In my experience with lexan it is quite soft and scratched easy. Just wiping it with a cloth puts fine scratches in it. Is there a hard, more scratch resistant type to use?

Drive Stainless
06-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I was thinking why not buy one new? Then I looked to see if they were NLA...150.00 bucks is pretty steep for a lens.

I like Matt's approach. In my experience with lexan it is quite soft and scratched easy. Just wiping it with a cloth puts fine scratches in it. Is there a hard, more scratch resistant type to use?

You can get it with coating (clear coat, basically), but you cannot form it afterward.

content22207_2
06-04-2016, 04:21 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8536k131/=12pll9v

Not all cast plastics are created equal. Acrylic does not yellow over time as plexiglass/lexan does. And it is more scratch resistant. But it does not tolerate bending and forming well (it also has a tendency to chip while cutting -- *ALWAYS* tape off both sides where you are going to cut). And it is less impact resistant than lexan (but still more impact resistant than glass).

Bill Robertson

content22207_2
06-04-2016, 04:23 PM
A rough analogy between working with acrylic versus lexan is the difference between yellow pine and white spruce.

Bill Robertson