PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Digital door lock module problems

Kerichbe
06-10-2016, 11:23 PM
About a week ago I replaced the Oem door lock module with Houston digital module. The module was working fine, doors locked and unlocked without issue. Today I tried it and nothing, the module responds, and the LEDs blink, but nothing from the solenoids. Unfortunatly Houston does not supply documentation to interpret the error codes, is anyone familiar with the codes? The other thing I notice is the door lock telltale is no longer illuminated, is it possible that the inertia switch is the culprit, or would that have shut down the fuel pump as well?

Christian Dietrich
06-10-2016, 11:28 PM
It's possible and you can try to disconnect the inertia switch and see if the power lock function works? I'm at work and I'm not near my schematic but I got the same as you do and I haven't had any defects and I'm trying to get ahold of them so I can get a diagnostic report for the door lock codes because I would like to have in case I have any issues. I also have the remote keyless entry system hooked into my car as well from them aswell. Try unplugging the module itself and plugging it back in to see if it resets.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Rich
06-11-2016, 10:31 AM
.... Houston does not supply documentation to interpret the error codes, is anyone familiar with the codes? The other thing I notice is the door lock telltale is no longer illuminated, is it possible that the inertia switch is the culprit, or would that have shut down the fuel pump as well?

I don't think their digital lock module generates error codes. The blinking LEDs are status indicators. One of them is lock or unlock and the other one is the opposite.

If the suggested hard reset does not work then call Houston.

Michael
06-11-2016, 04:29 PM
I seem to remember Dave sending me a copy of the status light conditions. I don't think it actually blinks out codes but the red and green lights will illuminate to signal different problems such as to allow you to at least get to the correct door and somewhat narrow it down. I will see if I can find them and just post it.

Christian Dietrich
06-11-2016, 04:53 PM
No the lights do flash error codes and i was told that by Mike at DMCMW. You can try hitting the Black reset button that's next to it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Kerichbe
06-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Greatly appreciate all the responses. I will try out the suggestions, and report back any findings. Nothing more frustrating than getting something to work, and then fail again. Thanks all!

Tillsy
06-12-2016, 06:47 PM
I had this once a couple of years ago - it would blink various lights (mostly red from memory) but would not activate any of the door locks.

Nothing anyone or DMC advised worked - including cutting power to it.

So then I figured, virtually every electronic device these days will do a full reset if you hold down its/various buttons for 5-10 seconds.

So I held the button down on the digital controller and, after 5 or 10 seconds (can't remember which), it suddenly started cycling through a full diagnostic process. It spent about 30-60 seconds activating and deactivating the door locks multiple times in various combinations and the lights were illuminating in all sorts of various sequences, until eventually it finished doing whatever process it was doing.

It has been working perfectly ever since.

iflights
06-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Michael's reply triggered my recollection about a similar document I received.

I see you've already resolved your issue, but I'm positing this here so we'll have easy access to the information in the future.

Kerichbe
06-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Not being the most adept mechanically, I decided to replace the solenoids with actuators, thinking that they may have failed. Still no luck. I have also verified that the breaker was giving off 12v. I tried disconnecting the Inertia switch, once cleaned the contacts on the wiper switches. The one wiper switch looks pretty banged up, but I do believe it is making contact. When I throw the switches, the Lock module goes through the lock cycle, ending in a blinking red light, and then back off with a blinking red. I am wondering if I may have damaged the module somehow. Is there any owner in Michigan willing to take a look if I drive over too ? :-)

Morpheus
06-18-2016, 10:47 AM
^^Thanks for posting that PDF!

Kerichbe
06-18-2016, 11:36 AM
^^Thanks for posting that PDF!I second that!

Chris 16409
06-18-2016, 02:55 PM
One of my friends got the digital lock unit and one of the fuses inside was blown when he got it. So that might be the last think to try. Back when my friend go his, DMCH didn't cover all their electrical box in tamper-evident plastic wrap.

Kerichbe
06-18-2016, 04:01 PM
One of my friends got the digital lock unit and one of the fuses inside was blown when he got it. So that might be the last think to try. Back when my friend go his, DMCH didn't cover all their electrical box in tamper-evident plastic wrap. Thats a thought, maybe i'll work up the nerve to cut the plastic, and check it out. Its the only thing I can think of is the module has failed.

Michael
06-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Michael's reply triggered my recollection about a similar document I received.

I see you've already resolved your issue, but I'm positing this here so we'll have easy access to the information in the future.

Glad you found it. I looked through the 8" stack of receipts and service records but I don't have it anymore.

Kerichbe
06-18-2016, 05:50 PM
One of my friends got the digital lock unit and one of the fuses inside was blown when he got it. So that might be the last think to try. Back when my friend go his, DMCH didn't cover all their electrical box in tamper-evident plastic wrap.Thanks, I opened up the module, and sure enough the fuse had blown. I don't know if it was the old solenoids that blew it or the plugging and unplugging (yeah, I should have disconnected the battery). Anyhow, I'll replace the fuse. thanks again, never would have guessed they put fuses in there.

Kerichbe
06-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Last item about the module. Looking at it I noticed, that one of the pins on a chip are bent, and not seated in the socket. Think I should straighten? or is this by design?