PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body How to dismantle the A-pillars and re-install them?

dmcnorway
06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Hello, does anyone know how to dismantle the A-pillars and re-install them?
How do the old ones come off and how do you fasten new ones?

Christian Dietrich
06-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Hello, does anyone know how to dismantle the A-pillars and re-install them?
How do the old ones come off and how do you fasten new ones?
Get a heat gun and use low heat to carefully remove them because there glued and reinstall using 3m yellow weather strip glue in a tube!l. Thats how i did mine and turned out great.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dn010
06-23-2016, 08:52 AM
What part are you referring to? There are "A-Post" trim (#110495) on the door and then there are A-Post trim (#110455) on the car on either side of the interior windshield.

To dismantle both, you simply peal off the old trim and glue on new trim

If you're asking about removing them from the car:

To remove the door post trim you simply pop the pine tree clips out of the door and recover them if you want.

To remove the body post trim or the ones next to the windshield, it is a bit more difficult as they're sealed by urethane under the windshield (unless you have an early vin and if I remember correctly 712 was sold without a windshield anyway). With the door open, pull the inner door seal and remove the trim that is wrapped around the channel. Then you'd need to cut the trim at the windshield and once that is done you can pull it, outwards a little at the top, then upwards and out of the car. I found it easier to remove them with the headliner gone but I am not sure that is mandatory.

If you recover them make sure you leave enough vinyl/leather etc material on it so that it can be glued down. Put some new tape on the wires on the passenger side body fiberglass post to hold them on the post as I'm sure the old tape is no longer working. Install the post trim and make sure it is flush with the dash on the bottom and push it as far forward on the fiberglass body post as you can. I then adhered the windshield side of the material to the body fiberglass post and then stretched the door seal channel side and adhered that to the channel. Trim the excess material once it is dry and install the seal. Clean the body fiberglass post to remove any excess material, prime the post and windshield, urethane it and install it over the trim (I doubt anyone will be doing that).

Otherwise, if you're not installing a windshield, there are fiberglass replacement A-post trim pieces that go next to the windshield that do not need to be glued. Being fiberglass, they won't warp without the material being glued under the windshield. I believe the trim wraps around the windshield part of the trim and is hidden inside the post trim so you don't see it.

dn010
06-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Just to add, if you are referring to posts 110455, I have pictures from when I replaced mine if you'd like a visual, I just won't be able to find them until lunch time comes.

dmcnorway
06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone.
Photos would be great!

I'm talking about the A-pillars right beneath the front windshield (from the T-roof to the dashboard on each side)