PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Another hotwire? (Green Cable - Rear Harness)

dmcnc
07-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Found this "not-so-stock" looking wiring attached to the green cable just behind the rear harness connection. This is the same plug for the ECU cabling. What's circuit is this green cable and will it hurt the car if I disconnect the attachment? More importantly, does it belong there? The car used to have an Nology system, which I promptly got rid off after a few Florida torrential downpours.

BABIS
07-19-2016, 02:33 AM
Found this "not-so-stock" looking wiring attached to the green cable just behind the rear harness connection. This is the same plug for the ECU cabling. What's circuit is this green cable and will it hurt the car if I disconnect the attachment? More importantly, does it belong there? The car used to have an Nology system, which I promptly got rid off after a few Florida torrential downpours.

this is a factory mounted capacitor

Bitsyncmaster
07-19-2016, 05:27 AM

I've not seen the factory use those quick splice connections. I don't think that white connector is stock either. What ECU does it plug into?

BABIS
07-19-2016, 08:10 AM
I've not seen the factory use those quick splice connections. I don't think that white connector is stock either. What ECU does it plug into?

it is the white plug from the bulkhead, pushed inside the cabin.
fwiw, they used a scotch lock even in the brake light switch wire, in the vins without fuse #18 operative

dmcnc
07-20-2016, 07:49 AM
It is right behind the factory plug head. I went ahead and unplugged the capacitor and haven't perceived any change. Perhaps someone hunting down radio noise?

81dmc
07-20-2016, 08:34 PM
I have never encountered scotch locks even in my early car. Also, the factory used both gray and black electrical tape, not blue.

David T
07-20-2016, 09:05 PM
I have never encountered scotch locks even in my early car. Also, the factory used both gray and black electrical tape, not
blue.

I have seen many cars with those red Scotch taps. Usually on those radio static filter caps. I hate them, they are not sealed against moisture and the steel blade inside it rusts if in a wet environment. IMHO they have no business in an automotive application.

Christian Dietrich
07-21-2016, 07:02 AM
I have found plenty of blue electrical tape in my car especially around the center console and a lot of those Scotch lock connectors but upon investigation when I guttedmy interior to fully restore it, I did find evidence of a previous alarm system that looks like it was tied into the lighting system. Best thing to do is get a schematic that has that connector on it and start tracing wires. That's what I did.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BABIS
07-21-2016, 08:00 AM
I have found plenty of blue electrical tape in my car especially around the center console and a lot of those Scotch lock connectors but upon investigation when I guttedmy interior to fully restore it, I did find evidence of a previous alarm system that looks like it was tied into the lighting system. Best thing to do is get a schematic that has that connector on it and start tracing wires. That's what I did.

blue tape and capacitors with scotch locks are factory implementations, I believe early vins don't have them..
It would be interesting to know if the later cars with fuse #18 (I guess around VIN 6-7000) still have the "scotch lock capacitors" or if they have been integrated in the revised wiring harness..

Christian Dietrich
07-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Im 11035 and had plenty but removed all of them. I also believe they were added with the New ASI Radios. Having a common single ground for power and speakers wrapped up into one, im sure they had noise like a son of a gun!

David T
07-21-2016, 09:34 AM
The entire wring system in the car leaves much room for improvement. if it was to be redone there are many things that would not be done the way they originally did it.

DMC-81
07-21-2016, 06:58 PM
blue tape and capacitors with scotch locks are factory implementations, I believe early vins don't have them..
It would be interesting to know if the later cars with fuse #18 (I guess around VIN 6-7000) still have the "scotch lock capacitors" or if they have been integrated in the revised wiring harness..

+1. I have seen blue tape on the inside, and green tape on the outside, and at least 2 scotch locks attaching a capacitor near the radio harness, and under the steering wheel. I have a June 81 car.

Some of the glue on the tape was breaking down, so if the tape wouldn't stick anymore, I replaced what I found. Here is what I used...