PDA

View Full Version : General Aftermarket Saturn alternator wiring?

nullset
08-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to fit a Saturn alternator to 2930. I took the connector from an 89 eagle premier. It has two wires coming out. One is yellow, and the other is brown with a black stripe.

Does anyone know the proper wiring for this? Which one goes to green in the dash? Where does the other one go?

Should I get a different plug from a parts house? I've heard it's a "GM CS alternator plug".

--buddy

TTait
08-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to fit a Saturn alternator to 2930. I took the connector from an 89 eagle premier. It has two wires coming out. One is yellow, and the other is brown with a black stripe.

Does anyone know the proper wiring for this? Which one goes to green in the dash? Where does the other one go?

Should I get a different plug from a parts house? I've heard it's a "GM CS alternator plug".

--buddy

Sorry for the lame response, but its better than none...

Your old alternator only had one wire - that connects to one of the two on your plug, not sure which one. The other wire is not needed on the Delorean.

I had a similar plug on my Cadillac alternator - had to purchase a GM plug from Pep boys - still had two wires, but one was red - pretty obvious, I hooked the wire up to that one. Go check out such a plug and make sure it similar to yours and then note which wire is which. You don't have to buy it, just get a good look - you might find a similar photo on the internet.

propony
08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
I had a Motorola alternator on my car, and it had 2 wires connected to it, a larger output wire, and a smaller wire that sends a signal to the dash light and gauge.
I now have a SI series GM alternator on my car, it has 3 wires..sorta. I still have the large wire, output, that is just a post on the back of the alternator. There is also a 2 wire plug, one of these feeds the dash light and gauge, the other wire from the plug is a current sensing wire for the regulator. This wire should be connected "up stream" in the wiring harness to monitor the output after the load, but honestly, my current sensing wire just loops back around to the large output stud on the alternator. So the one wire from the plug is only 3 inches long and is reading direct output of the alternator, not necessarily the draw on the system. This works, and have seen a few GM vehicles that this was done from the factory.
All that being said, I wonder if your alternator has a post on the back side for a large output wire?
Curt

nullset
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I had a Motorola alternator on my car, and it had 2 wires connected to it, a larger output wire, and a smaller wire that sends a signal to the dash light and gauge.
I now have a SI series GM alternator on my car, it has 3 wires..sorta. I still have the large wire, output, that is just a post on the back of the alternator. There is also a 2 wire plug, one of these feeds the dash light and gauge, the other wire from the plug is a current sensing wire for the regulator. This wire should be connected "up stream" in the wiring harness to monitor the output after the load, but honestly, my current sensing wire just loops back around to the large output stud on the alternator. So the one wire from the plug is only 3 inches long and is reading direct output of the alternator, not necessarily the draw on the system. This works, and have seen a few GM vehicles that this was done from the factory.
All that being said, I wonder if your alternator has a post on the back side for a large output wire?
Curt

Yes, it does have the large output post. I wasn't counting that in the 2 wires :)

So I have output, yellow, and brown/black. With yellow connected to green, the alternator powers up. I'm not sure if I need brown/black, or if I should loop it back.

--buddy

Ron
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Something is not right here!

I have a 98 Eagle Premier schematic in front of me, but it shows Tan-Black and a Yellow wire.
The D schematic shows- Brown wires for the main (post) and a Brown-Yellow wire for the field/excitation wire. A Green wire is used on the other side of the BAT light...you don't want to by-pass it.

IF you have the right colors etc, the Brown wire (from the Eagle plug, Tan-Black) goes to a "Hot when key is at ON or RUN" source, Yellow on Eagle plug to Brown-Yellow D wire.

Double check the colors and plug configuration....and find the Brown-Yellow D wire.

nullset
08-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Something is not right here!

I have a 98 Eagle Premier schematic in front of me, but it shows Tan-Black and a Yellow wire.

Okay, I could've mistaken brown/black for tan/black. That means I have tan/black and yellow from the alternator plug.

The D schematic shows- Brown wires for the main (post) and a Brown-Yellow wire for the field/excitation wire. A Green wire is used on the other side of the BAT light...you don't want to by-pass it.

I'll double check this in a few minutes. I'm headed over to the car now.

IF you have the right colors etc, the Brown wire (from the Eagle plug) goes to a "Hot when key is at ON or RUN" source

Double check the colors and plug configuration....and find the Brown-Yellow D wire.

Okay, to reiterate:
Eagle tan/black goes to something switched when the key is On/Run. (What color is this wire or where can I tap it?)
Eagle yellow goes to ???

Delorean Green goes to ???
Delorean Brown wires go to the output post on the alternator.

I'll take some pictures of my various wires.

--buddy

I picked up a plug from a parts house. It was $7.

It had red, black, and brown wires. Now, where would those go again? :)

--buddy

nullset
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Curse the previous owner.

My Brown/yellow wire goes to a quick connect. Connected to that is a black wire, that's the soldered to a green wire……

Why, oh why…..

So my 'green' is your brown/yellow. That might make more sense.

--buddy

Ron
08-28-2011, 02:12 PM
After that many splices, I'd check it to be sure-
Turn the key to run then ground the wire -- the BATT light should come on...