PDA

View Full Version : Ontario owner's 1983 for sale, automatic, custom interior, VIN 17050

Jonathan
09-16-2016, 08:18 AM
This is not my car, however it is for sale from another Ontario owner I know personally. He is not on the forums to my knowledge, so I thought I would share the for sale links with you here.

Car is a 1983 automatic with a customized interior. He is meticulous with his car and has taken care of it well. Original owner too which is getting pretty rare in and of itself.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/DeLorean/DMC-12/ALLISTON/Ontario/19_9589200_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/252540557545?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3acc9718e9:g:-bMAAOSwCGVX2hmT&item=252540557545

More photos here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_h__3LxNGAQMThJTGtSTFJIdjA

Michael
09-16-2016, 08:43 AM
I like his taste. Nice work on the interior.

Dangermouse
09-16-2016, 08:51 AM
I saw that on-line yesterday and I wondered did he have a need to replace the dash etc (faded, cracked etc) or did he just fancy a custom look?

Did Canadian cars come with the red marker sticker on the interior door locks, or was that something he added?

Jonathan
09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
I had never noticed that red marker sticker until you mentioned it. That's a nice touch. Don't think that's related to the Canadian cars. The Canadian cars had mostly just language related things changed to accommodate French (which is why the cluster has things shown as symbols and not words) and the metric units of course too. Nice idea adding the indicator on which way the locks are positioned. I often look at some of the switches or buttons on the car and forget which way is which.

I would guess he just got bored with the original interior and changed it just for something to do. Not certain about that though.

dodint
09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
That's a lot of coin. $45K US.

Michael
09-16-2016, 10:54 AM

There he is. Every for sale thread has one. The guy who complains about values too high until he has one for sale...then the cars can't rise in value fast enough.

Drive Stainless
09-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Wow, that interior is definitely one of the most customized I've seen.

dodint
09-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Hardly.

This would be the most expensive car I've seen sell by a private party in the last year. And the number of cars that are on the market right now are the highest so far this calendar year. I'm pointing out the anomaly, not attacking the car or the seller. Normally I wouldn't have said anything at all, but this isn't a For Sale thread so I chimed in.

If I wanted to be specific I'd point at the puffery, the seller thinks the car has "never been dirty" but it has 19K on the odometer. That kind of hyperbole matched with that price tells me they're not terribly serious.

Best of luck to him, maybe things are different in Canada. My guess is they'd have better luck in the spring.

sdg3205
09-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Maybe this (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14196-What-s-your-D-worth-to-you) will help you better understand how he priced his car. It obviously means a great deal to him.

dodint
09-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Maybe this (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14196-What-s-your-D-worth-to-you) will help you better understand how he priced his car. It obviously means a great deal to him.

I've read that thread. First two words in it? "Forget eBay..."

And you're calling me out for discussing...an eBay listing.

Quality.

There he is. Every for sale thread has one. The guy who complains about values too high until he has one for sale...then the cars can't rise in value fast enough.

I haven't posted much, it shouldn't take long to review the posts I've made. Everyone one of them in the For Sale threads has been in "that's a really great car, wish it were coming up in my window" because many of the ones I've seen here are in great condition for the prices they're going for. I would not have hesitated to fly out to inspect a handful of them. However; I'm simply not going to buy a car in the fall in Wisconsin that will have to be stored for the winter immediately.
I don't comment on For Sale thread cars I do not have a legit interest in, that's not fair to the seller. This thread is not a For Sale thread.

What I'm seeing here, appears to be, is the obverse of your accusation. I mentioned the price is curiously high, hoping to learn more about how it can be justified, and am attacked as a complainer trying to drag the market down. Seems anyone that even passively mentions the unusually high price on a car is a threat to every DMCs value and needs to be snuffed out or else the ownership is out some equity. A bit cultist, really.
Protip: The market dictates the value of a car, not some chatter on a message board.

SamHill
09-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Hardly.

This would be the most expensive car I've seen sell by a private party in the last year.

You aren't looking hard enough.

dodint
09-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Also possible. ;)

louielouie2000
09-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Protip: The market dictates the value of a car, not some chatter on a message board.

The DeLorean community has a really insecure and tenuous relationship with the value of these cars. I think it's a Napoleonic complex- these cars were ridiculed for so many years, and now owners want to legitimize the marque through rising values. They want to be like the class nerd who was bullied in high school, then showed up to the class reunion wealthy and with a model on his arm. I totally get that.

The hardest pill for DeLorean owners to swallow though is that not only does message board chatter not dictate the value of a car, asking prices don't either. Owners also pound their chests and point to specific high-dollar DeLorean sales, all the while the car in question was hardly representative of the average DeLorean for sale these days. Most DeLoreans need thousands of dollars in cosmetic work, and many thousands in back maintenance.

I've owned 2 DeLoreans and can say I was just fine when they were viewed as an oddball cult car. I didn't have anything to prove, other than the fact I love these cars and the history behind them. Rising values are a double edged sword- yes, DeLoreans are finally becoming legitimate collectibles, but that also means more people are becoming increasingly scared to drive and enjoy them. This piece on air-cooled Porsches sums it up precisely:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30734/porsche-993-values/

sdg3205
09-16-2016, 03:50 PM
I've read that thread. First two words in it? "Forget eBay..."

And you're calling me out for discussing...an eBay listing.

Quality.

I haven't posted much, it shouldn't take long to review the posts I've made. Everyone one of them in the For Sale threads has been in "that's a really great car, wish it were coming up in my window" because many of the ones I've seen here are in great condition for the prices they're going for. I would not have hesitated to fly out to inspect a handful of them. However; I'm simply not going to buy a car in the fall in Wisconsin that will have to be stored for the winter immediately.
I don't comment on For Sale thread cars I do not have a legit interest in, that's not fair to the seller. This thread is not a For Sale thread.

What I'm seeing here, appears to be, is the obverse of your accusation. I mentioned the price is curiously high, hoping to learn more about how it can be justified, and am attacked as a complainer trying to drag the market down. Seems anyone that even passively mentions the unusually high price on a car is a threat to every DMCs value and needs to be snuffed out or else the ownership is out some equity. A bit cultist, really.

Don't be so dramatic, princess.

All i did was provide a link to help you better understand why he may have priced his car the way he did.

Do you actually believe the link and information therein is invalid simply because the car is for sale on eBay? That link discusses a plethora of reasons (both external and personal) that help owners assign a value to their car, though NOT necessarily what it might list for, but STILL impact what they could list it for.

You've been around less than a year. You have a low post count. You don't own a DeLorean. You can read all the books and blogs you want, but you're not in the drivers seat yet. Next time someone politely points you in a direction to help you better understand where an (actual) owner is coming from on an issue, don't get so bent out of shape because with that attitude no one will want to help you when you actually do get a car.

dodint
09-16-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm not bent out of shape.

My initial (coin) response spoke to information provided by two car ads.

In response, you linked to a thread that specifically asks people to ignore practical valuation in car ads. A thread I have already read. Though, I'm curious now why you even bothered to send me the thread since there is nothing to be gained from learning about the car before I buy one. 'Politely', does that apply to your post before or after you edited it?

I'll excuse your condescension as simply not knowing facts that weren't provided to you. I've been a part of the online DMC 'universe', for lack of a better word, since 1996. Just because I registered here in 2015 doesn't mean I heard about BTTF day and decided to see if the car was real.

My post count is low because of situations like this, I rarely engage owners. The same thing happened at DCS 2016. I was walking the floor with my wife and someone walked up, interrupted our conversation with "Do you have a car here?" and when I replied "No" he sneered and huffed away.

The hospitality I've seen in this community, in person and on the forum, is great. I'm not going to let people that don't know me, but insist on taking character jabs, ruin my experience.

It's new buyers like me that float your valuation, not intangible reasons why you think your particular car is wonderful.

Jonathan
09-16-2016, 04:22 PM
You all have your points, and good ones at that. Not much is improving at the moment though with the discussion, so might I suggest everyone takes the rest of the day off and revisit with cooler heads tomorrow? At least in this thread anyway. Go for a drive, go for a walk, have something nice and refreshing to drink or otherwise just enjoy the start of the weekend. That's all I have to say about that <in my best Forrest Gump voice>.

dodint
09-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Sounds good, I'm just killing time at work on a slow Friday and it's quitting time.

I've said my piece, if anyone wants anything specific from me they can PM. No hard feelings meant. Have a good weekend folks.

MML
09-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Whoa... that has to be the best custom interior I've ever seen. It's totally in keeping with the overall appearance of the car. Stunning work!

Andrew
09-16-2016, 09:31 PM
I like the dash! It looks like what the DeLorean dash might have looked like in 1985 or 1986. It looks like parts my have been sourced from a Starion.

DMC-81
09-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Whoa... that has to be the best custom interior I've ever seen. It's totally in keeping with the overall appearance of the car. Stunning work!

+1

To me it was so integrated and appropriate that I missed the custom work on the first glance though the pics.

Mighty fine work and car! :thumbup:

Dangermouse
09-16-2016, 10:49 PM
I guess I am in the minority. While I appreciate the work involved, it just doesn't float my boat.

Apart from the red stickers ;)

SamHill
09-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Prices increase when people of a much higher strata of income all of the sudden decide they want something. There have been a few solid examples of that lately.

Michael
09-17-2016, 11:41 AM
The days of finding a 15k driver/resto project are long past and the days of the 25k rule are numbered.

DMC-81
09-17-2016, 12:49 PM
The days of finding a 15k driver/resto project are long past and the days of the 25k rule are numbered.

Agreed. On average, I last saw 15k projects in early 2013 when I was shopping for mine. As people still restoring their cars know, it takes real money to go through the car throughly, even when you are doing the work yourself. In my opinion, 50k for a clean car that needs nothing is perfectly reasonable.

sdg3205
09-17-2016, 12:56 PM
In Canada they are regularly going for $30 - $40k.

SamHill
09-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Right now there is an E Type in the MOMA. Exceptional design from a particular era is being recognized as legitimate art. All any object needs is a few tastemakers to propel it upwards. How else can you explain frauds such as Rothko?