PDA

View Full Version : Flexible brake hose kits - what to buy?

Jonathan
10-20-2016, 07:59 AM
A winter project I'm planning on doing will include replacing the flexible brake hoses on all four wheels. I already have much of what I need so far, new rotors and pads primarily. I have done pads on the car before and also have rebuilt all four calipers. The rotors have not been touched and neither have the brake hoses (to my knowledge). At the very least I'd like to drain out the brake fluid, flush it and refill it.

I see a number of different flexible brake hose kits for sale by the vendors. The exchange rate for the Canadian dollar isn't very good, so price, shipping, taxes, customs fees, etc. play a role in this too. Not that it's only about the cost though, as I'd like to understand if any of the type or style of replacement hoses are better or worse, fit well/don't fit well, come complete versus need additional fasteners or hardware, etc.

The ones I've seen available are:

http://store.delorean.com/p-10616-front-and-rear-brake-hoses-2-each.aspx

Front and rear brakes hose (2 each); $119.80 USD. These look to be close to the original design and (I believe based on the individual hose photos as there isn't a kit photo) include the "coiled spring" travelling down the length of the hose for protection against outside damage.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10624-front-and-rear-brake-hoses-2-each-stainless.aspx

This is the stainless version of the above; $139.80 USD. The braided stainless is in place of the protective coiled spring and can be covered in black or other colour coating however these ones have a transparent coating on them so you can still see the stainless appearance.

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/dot-brake-hose-kit-set-of-4.html

On the DMC UK club store, these are the "DOT brake hose kit" and are 69.99 British pounds. They have the coiled spring and also include mounting hardware (nuts and washers).

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/stainless-braided-brake-hoses-lines.html

These are black coated stainless braided brake hoses and are 65 British pounds. They look to have some fastening hardware already on them, but this is one of the things I'm not clear on understanding.

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104032

DeLorean Europe has these stainless braided hoses at 136.62 Euros. Again, looks like the fastening hardware is on them already.

Two main questions:

1.) Is there more than just cosmetic appearances in going with the stainless braided ones versus the original coiled spring versions? And if not just cosmetic, have there really been that many problems with the coiled spring ones getting damaged to need to go with the braided stainless ones? I like the stainless ones, sure, but I'm just trying to understand if this is a better hose than the original style. My originals are still on the car and haven't caused me any problems, so not sure I need to change styles just for the heck of it (or replace them at all I suppose is another possibility).

2.) Are there any differences in the threaded ends that connect on both ends of the hoses? Either with the fastening hardware that is or isn't included, or perhaps the length of the threads (or length of these hoses themselves for that matter)? Some of the end connections look quite different in the photos yet it doesn't get mentioned anywhere. Any practical experience in this and can share what you learned or found?

Thanks!

Mattglas
10-20-2016, 08:47 AM
1.) Braided brake hoses are supposed to be better at not bulging compared to rubber hoses, which results in a firmer brake. However, it's only helpful for sudden braking situations, like in racing. They are also known for better protection from road debris. Besides that it's mostly aesthetic.

Delta DeLorean
10-20-2016, 09:33 AM
1.) Braided brake hoses are supposed to be better at not bulging compared to rubber hoses, which results in a firmer brake. However, it's only helpful for sudden braking situations, like in racing. They are also known for better protection from road debris. Besides that it's mostly aesthetic.

+ 1 on that.
With my old hoses the brakes where never very firm. Turned out one of the hoses had a blister if you pushed the pedal hard.
Have the stainless lines from the Uk club now. Mine are not black but stainless. Good product. The only thing you need to use your old washers, new ones are not suppied. Does come with new nuts like seen in picture.
Also the pressed on "nut" on the hose is slightly smaller then the original one, so you need to prevent it from turning when fastening the hose. But yes, very happy with the product and they look great!

mark w
06-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Also the pressed on "nut" on the hose is slightly smaller then the original one, so you need to prevent it from turning when fastening the hose. But yes, very happy with the product and they look great!

And what is the consensus on how to hold it from turning?

Seems that ALL the stainless options available today have the smaller hex end than the stock one (which is longer) and thus will fit in the bracket on the car properly. All these are too short and the line will spin.

sdg3205
06-17-2018, 04:32 PM

Seems that ALL the stainless options available today have the smaller hex end than the stock one (which is longer) and thus will fit in the bracket on the car properly. All these are too short and the line will spin.

I stick a flat head screw driver in to remove the play, then torque the nut. It's really not an issue.

EdR5150
06-17-2018, 09:23 PM
I just installed the DPI kit: http://www.deloreanindustries.com/9-flexible-brake-line-kit-stainless/ for $129.95 shipped. I can confirm the pedal feels firmer after replacing all four lines.

If you have an automatic transmission, borrow or invest in a metric crowfoot flare nut wrench set. Replacing the rear passenger side is a major PITA due to access problems. I finally had luck with a 14mm crowfoot and some extensions. 10mm and 11mm flares are need for the bleeders.

If you have access to a car lift, it will also help you immensely.

PJ Grady Inc.
07-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Not anymore. We just recieved our first production batch of Goodridge stainless lines built to our own specifications which have stainless hex heads of the correct NOS size. Both features were not available in any other stainless line until now. The other brands use smaller zinc plated hexes. They are made in the USA and conform to DOT specifications. I cannot load pictures on this site anymore but for those of you on FB they can be seen in my P.J.Grady feed. They were tested and the fit perfected on my personal green painted car. There is also a pic of a front line mounted on my car if you scroll down a bit.
Rob

DMC-81
07-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Not anymore. We just recieved our first production batch of Goodridge stainless lines built to our own specifications which have stainless hex heads of the correct NOS size. Both features were not available in any other stainless line until now. The other brands use smaller zinc plated hexes. They are made in the USA and conform to DOT specifications. I cannot load pictures on this site anymore but for those of you on FB they can be seen in my P.J.Grady feed. They were tested and the fit perfected on my personal green painted car. There is also a pic of a front line mounted on my car if you scroll down a bit.
Rob

Nice improvement Rob!

PJ Grady Inc.
07-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Nice improvement Rob!

Thanks Dana. I love this line kit. I have to believe I nailed this one! It's been a year in the making.
Rob

kings1527
07-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Thanks Dana. I love this line kit. I have to believe I nailed this one! It's been a year in the making.
Rob

Side question: is there a reason why you can't load pics onto this site any longer?

PJ Grady Inc.
07-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Side question: is there a reason why you can't load pics onto this site any longer?

Of course there must be a reason but I don't know why. For one thing my Galaxy Six doesn't like my now 3 year old computer and I can't upload pics but I can't seem to upload straight from the phone either. I really don't have much time as I'm training three new employees so it's not high on the to do list.
Rob