PDA

View Full Version : How To: Replace hot start o rings in fuel pressure plunger on Fuel Distributer

TTait
08-31-2011, 01:43 AM
Is there a 'howto' on this? [hot start o rings in fuel distributor] What do I need?
--buddy

Ratchet with a 10mm and 15mm sockets?, or adjustable wrench, and a standard cable tie just in case.
The kit from hervey has all the parts you need, two nitrile o rings and a fresh copper washer for good measure.

Easy to do: Remove air filter housing (3x 10mm bolts I think). Use a socket or adjustable wrench (15mm?) to loosen the hex fitting on the rear facing side of the fuel distributor, passenger side. Carefully slide out the assembly. Do not allow the center pin to touch the FD as you withdraw it or you will ground out the detonator and blow up the fuel tank. :dead: Just kidding. That only happens on Ford Pintos and cars where Lucas did the fuel system too.

There are 3 major parts, the main valve assembly you unscrewed, a spring, and an inner cylinder that goes on the spring that likely got stuck inside the opening. If the spring is the last part to come out at first the inner cylinder is lightly stuck inside there. To get it out I just inserted the end of a cable tie, put a little sideways pressure on it and pulled it right out. Replace the two O rings and the copper washer with the new ones, put it all back together and tighten it up. I think it would be tough to cross thread when re installing, but as always be careful and start it by hand first. Run the car to check for leaks before installing the air filter box again.

5 minutes or less.

Photo reference here:

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

See 3 photos 80% of the way down the page under the heading "Here is where the Hot Start 2 kit goes in the distributor"

I tried to find my own o-rings for this fix 3 years ago, the ones I found were close, but not perfect obviously, one of mine ripped in half and destroyed itself - just get them from John. He's been kind enough to post the photos so let him have the $3.50.

sean
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Only think I would add to this is to also remove the two hollow bolts closest to the PPR running along the side, I believe this reduces the risk of chewing up the oring upon installation:
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/fuel-prim-pressure-reg..jpg

DeCobra
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Attached is an article I wrote for the Pacific Northwest DeLorean club newsletter back in 2004. I also shared this same article with Gullwing Magazine.

I have made an update to it to include some new parts from Toby, and to address the fuel return line bolt issue. Hope you all find it helpful.

Thanks!
Dave

JIMJAM
11-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Some words of STRONG advice. My opinions from much pain and suffering........
DO NOT REPLACE the O-RING unless you are having hotstart issues and some of the longtime and knowledgeable posters here suggest it.
This is without a doubt one of those "If its working Dont muck with it" items.
I spent a good part of a year, experimenting with various O-rings, Viton ect and went through 3 fuel dist troubleshooting mine. Some are to hard,soft,mishaped. Some f dist have burs,not perfectly round ect ect.From a bag of new Viton rings I went through dozens. Some got chewed up within hours. Some lasted days, a month. Finally hit one that worked and has not failed in 2 years. ITS THAT PICKY! So if you are blessed to have no issues that means that O ring you have is perfectly mated,seated and you should treasure it!
So imo bottom line the ppr o ring is NOT something to mess with unless you really have to and not to be changed out as a preventative measure but only as a last resort.

Ryan S.
04-08-2013, 11:28 PM
I think I am experiencing a hot start issue, again. My car starts great from cold. And it starts effortlessly up to 10-15 minutes after engine shuts down. But if I try to restart the car after 15 min or greater, car won't start. It takes a lot of cranking and pumping gas paddle to start the car. I replaced accumulator and o-ring about 3 months ago. It was the o-ring that caused/fixed my first hot start issue. I am guessing that my 3 months old o-ring is going bad?

Ryan S.
04-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the how to instructions. Just replaced o-ring. It was one of the easiest repairs. I think problem solved. :thumbup2: