PDA

View Full Version : Back to The Future MODs Survey

stranovegas
01-02-2017, 09:16 PM
I want to take a quick survey. If you, as a Stock Delorean Owner could convert your car into a NON-INVASIVE BTTF Car with things like: Exhaust fins, light up flux bands, and general outside Time Machine looking parts, that are attached without drilling holes into your car... Would you buy such parts?

I'm currently working on a project that will offer stock D owners some outside parts that can be attached to your car fairly easily without costing a fortune, and can be used for the BTTF owner for entertaining the public and detached when wanted.

Is this something the community might be interested in? My theory is, many of us owners are BTTF fans, but don't have the $$$ to send it to the professionals to get a permanent conversion. If you could purchase a few BTTF Exterior parts to attach to your car to impress the public, would you? I've attached some photos of my non-invasive conversion. Everything you see here is attached to the car yet can be taken off with no harm to the car itself.

Thoughts?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/0f9257fcd759266c1dffb5b5e1d9e7a1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/65b781427d1e3460f188a49bacefd525.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/cad8b8f7c4fd540102b2601f78fe485b.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Soundkillr
01-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Moved to bttf forum. I think traffic will be better here, and this forum is better suited to what you're going to need to know. For sale area, is only for items you have for sale....

stranovegas
01-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Moved to bttf forum. I think traffic will be better here, and this forum is better suited to what you're going to need to know. For sale area, is only for items you have for sale....
Thanks!

BladeBronson
01-03-2017, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't. I value both stock Deloreans and time machines, but nothing in between. For me, there's nothing worse than a DMC with a few BTTF props stuck on it.

sdg3205
01-03-2017, 01:58 AM
No. I've found even when an event wants a BTTF replica, they're quite happy even to find a Delorean at all. When my friend Dan (2991) provided the DeLorean for the Michael J Fox charity golf tournament here in Burnaby a few years ago, he was quite chuffed when MJF commented about how nice it was to see a "real delorean without all the props on it for a change." Non-destructive or not, I'd still worry about damage, too. I might throw a flux capacitor in the back if i had one, but thats about it. I aspire to make and maintain my DeLorean as a fine example of the marque. Despite the joking around we do about DeLorean being kind of crappy, the reality for me is that it has been unbelievably rock-solid, reliable and enjoyable. I take pride in that and showing others that truth. BTTF is fantastic in it's own right, but it diverts attention in a different direction, and its a direction I'm not interested in pursuing.

Jonathan
01-03-2017, 08:35 AM
No for me.

I don't like permanent, like others, but I would rather have a few interior BTTF props than exterior if I had either.

During car shows (some of them, not all) my BTTF set-up can include a flux capacitor that I sit on the parcel shelf, paper props including the magazine covers (Ooh La La, Sports Alamanac, Tales from Space, etc.) that I put in behind the rear quarter glass resting on the pontoon, the Save the Clock Tower flyer on the dash along with the OUTATIME license plate, and some FAQs in a clear plastic sleeve taped to the opposite rear quarter glass.

I've been interested at times in getting a hoverboard (until the for sale prices started to gouge), the plutonium gauges set-up to clip into the glovebox, and maybe that Old Biff top of the cane reproduction that someone on here made years ago.

Like Dave mentioned that MJF had said, I now tend to more often go to car shows and keep the car naked of all this BTTF stuff. Oddly enough, the last show I went to, the big British Car Day in Oakville in September, I did not put one single thing out with the car and I won 1st place in our class. I too am going in the direction of celebrating the car for the car and not for the movie anymore.

You asked, that's my answer.

SamHill
01-03-2017, 08:44 AM
No.

powerline84
01-03-2017, 08:50 AM
I am surprised at the responses so far. I think there is a market for this but what do I know lol. Me personally Ifeel I was to do anything it would be interior props. I think the exterior of the car is gorgeous ;-). I like the idea of a screen accurate interior car with a stock exterior. I am sure someone has done it.
Jimmy

Mark D
01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
You may want to use the forum tools to add an actual survey to this thread at the top. You'll get a better response with people that may want to vote but don't want to type out a response.

I personally have no interest in a non-permanent type conversion for my car. I know a few people that have non-invasive mods to their cars but no real plans to ever remove them. The cars in particular I'm thinking of would take days to undo the modifications and aren't just a few stick on type modifications just for car shows.

It's also much, much harder to sell props that are not visually accurate than parts that match the screen used props. They don't have to be legit vintage aircraft parts but at least castings of original parts, or fabricated parts that have the same look as the screen used parts.

If people are not sticklers for accuracy then they are more likely to get creative themselves to build a replica (invasive or not) than to buy parts from someone else. If you're trying to set up a run of BTTF props to sell my advice is to build them so they are as visually accurate as possible. If you're main goal is non-invasive then that may not be possible in some cases.

OR you can sell parts that are less than visually accurate but then they would need to be cheaper than what some someone else could build on their own. People who don't care as much about accuracy tend to build with whatever they can get their hands on and aren't going to buy a 'kit' from someone else if they know they can find similar materials themselves for cheaper.

Another way to think about it is this: If there were 9000 DeLoreans ever produced, and roughly 6000 left in existence, 200 or less have been converted into time machines. Of those 200 cars, even if 10% of those were non-invasive conversions, that's only 20 people in the world that would be a potential market. Of those 20 people most are going to be the type that will get creative themselves and build something in their garage. Your market may less than a handful of people, or non existent.

DMCVegas
01-03-2017, 01:48 PM
Personally, I would pass. Those items are big and bulky, and I wouldn't want to scratch or ding my body panels getting the props on and off. Then there are the logistics of where am I supposed to store all of the props when not in use. Because if I have a 2 car garage, I am going to park two cars in there and not kick a second one out to store the props.

Most of all though, while I love BTTF my fondness for the film kinda ends right there at the screen. I have a few collectibles, sure. But I'm not that in to it that I'd dress my car up as a cosplay accessory. Not because I'm afraid of permanent modifications, but because I'm not that passionate about it. But that's just me.

Having said that, I think that you've got a good idea on your hands. There also is probably a market for it too, but I don't think it's that big of one. If this was 13-18 years ago, you'd probably have an inbox full of replies and a line of people ready to buy such a product that would be beating a path to your door. Admittedly, I would have been one of them. But time has moved on and tastes have changed. Maybe it's just because so many people suddenly arrived on the scene to crank out all these soulless replicas devoid of passion that the time machine cars lost their luster. It was one thing to build your own car because you loved the movie, but when you're a conversion shop that doesn't give a shit about the marque and view the DeLorean simply as a disposable ingredient to turn a quick buck, resentment came and that certainly didn't help the perception of the cars. I dunno.

In any case, best of luck to you. I hope you can find your audience and make it work for you.

Timebender
01-03-2017, 02:31 PM
And now for my .02 cents.

Being a prop builder of sorts (I have an R2 unit my son and I built, some from scratch, some from R2 Builder club parts runs), I'd say just go for it and see what happens. I did a model of the Wormhole emitter last year that's on Thingiverse, which is free, and pretty accurate to photos and measurements of the actual one that Gary Weaver posted. Is it perfectly accurate? Probably not. But it's close.
I made it because certain people sell a resin cast version for $500 bucks, which to me is kind of grand larceny. But then they probably sell them for that because some people are willing to pay that much. I'm not, and I can make 3D models all day of parts and then put them somewhere where anyone who wants to save a buck can either print them or send them to get printed. The days are much different than 8 years ago when I built my R2 and had to wait for parts to be made in a run - though those were still reasonably priced due to the R2 Builders license and agreement with LFL. As I have time I'll be making more external parts (Mr. Fusion that looks a bit more accurate than what's online now from other makers for instance) to share as well.

Having said that, it's interesting how many people think my modded DeLorean is the one from the movie (it has a spoiler). And then I've had comments from people with very nice cars (like Lamborghini's and Ferrari's) comment how much nicer the stock (though it's not) look is to the time machine they may have recently seen.

I do have stuff inside, like the Flux Capacitor (which gives everyone a thrill and they all have to get a photo of it), Doc's glasses, the speedo, and a HoverBoard. I wold like to have vents I could just put on and take off that fold up nicely, and I do stick my top part of my actual Mr. Fusion (a Krups grinder) to my louvers with a little bit of Commando 3M tape, and it lights up too. I would like to have a light up static version of the time display circuits I can just set or hang from the dash in front of the vents when at shows or events, as I get a lot of requests for those with the car and me as Doc Brown.

So if you plan on it, I'd have a better version of the Wormhole emitter than you have now on your car, as well as the Mr. Fusion. Your flux bands look pretty spot on though! And if you could have interior parts that look the part but are non-functional (the time circuits in the movie were just gels), then you might have something there.

Good luck!

adam_knox
01-03-2017, 05:47 PM
I personally don't have any interest in modding my car to look like the BTTF car, but I can see the appeal. For me the use would be for maybe parades, a car show/event on some random weekend and maybe a Halloween party or two every few years. The set up would need to take less than 2 hours, be in drive-able condition with them on, and break down about an hour or less. I would need practically nil risk to damaging the car (from cracked louvres to noticeable scuff/rub marks on the stainless steel). I personally don't think the general population notices, or cares, about it looking screen accurate. It would just need to have the iconic pieces and have 9 out of 10 people think its believable/passable replica/homage to the Time Machine. Honestly, it could be foam, or a hollow one piece plastic form, just as long as it appears real. I like the idea of the interior pieces to be "functional" as part of the joy for people is actually touching/using them, so it would be great if the time circuits on and keypad worked. However, I wouldn't pay more than $200 to have "functional" interior props vs. static displays.

I guess if I had to price it, the cost I could "justify" to myself to fork out would be less than $1000 total. I wouldn't personally spend that, but it goes up there on the list of things I would like to do to my car, but don't need, like lowering the front end, doorzilla, etc. What I would actually pay, like if you said I'm selling this right now, would be $300 to $400 dollars. I figure the putting smiles on peoples faces a few times over the years would be worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope your enjoying the process and props to ya' for trying to bring props to the masses!

mluder
01-03-2017, 07:40 PM
I did a model of the Wormhole emitter last year that's on Thingiverse, which is free, and pretty accurate to photos and measurements of the actual one that Gary Weaver posted. Is it perfectly accurate? Probably not. But it's close

So if I want to print this at Shapeways... It asks what units the file uses... Is it inches? Any other info I need to order a print from them?

Thanks
Steve

mluder
01-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Here's the kit I made for the back... It's not drive-able as the vents are made from gator board (high density foam core). I used it for a couple of events for static display and just set it on top of the engine cover.

I've since got some more accurate parts I will be installing - like the correct hubcap, and heat sinks for the reactor, and the oil separators. However I think even in this state it's really close in spirit. Next up is accurate flux bands, boxes, and wormhole emitter. I've already got the speaker grille for the wormhole emitter.

Cheers
Steven

mluder
01-03-2017, 08:10 PM
So if I want to print this at Shapeways... It asks what units the file uses... Is it inches? Any other info I need to order a print from them?

Thanks
Steve

Holy crap! Shapeways wants $300 to print it just the body ($200 in PLA). By the time I print the rest of it I could buy my own 3D printer.
Jeez!

Cheers
Steven

Timebender
01-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks
Steve

It's in inches. I'd also consider using iMaterialise.com, as they price based on the volume of the object vs. the material requited, so it does come out a bit cheaper.

Also, this has the screen as well, though not completely accurate but probably easy to print.

Greg

DaraSue
01-03-2017, 08:34 PM
For me it would depend on the cost vs. what use I could get out of it. Like, could the cost of the parts be offset fairly quickly by renting it out for a few special events, or would it be cheap enough to buy just for personal amusement (for me that would pretty much have to be in the sub-$1000 range)? If so, I'd consider it.

I hadn't really been considering a time machine conversion at all due to expense and permanent mods being more stuff I'd have to worry about when driving and parking, but if the price was right, maybe...

mluder
01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
It's in inches. I'd also consider using iMaterialise.com, as they price based on the volume of the object vs. the material requited, so it does come out a bit cheaper.

Greg

$152 at iMaterialise so a little better. Think I may have to scratch build it and then make a cast. Pretty sure I can build one from wood... Now to figure out how to cast things...

Cheers
Steve

Hissem
01-05-2017, 09:09 PM
I can speak from experience that I have been living out this concept for the past two years. Please go the the "Hissem" post in the BTTF posts. There you will see my home made "NON DESTRUCTIVE" time machine conversion. I can honestly say that it can be done without any hole drilling in the body. There are no scratches on the body panels or the front bumper. All hardware parts that go on the pontoons are mounted to a plate of aluminum that has same shape and contour of the pontoons. That way there are no holes that were drilled there either. The wires there go around the front fenders and up to the back are all clipped with stainless steel clips with a rubber backing that don't scratch the panels.

I have been dreaming and planning on making a time machine for the past 15-20 years and doing it without damaging the car. I have been saving parts and making parts that I hoped to go onto a DeLorean if and when I got a DeLorean. I have years of practice in fabricating all sorts of large and small projects, so this came easy and natural to me. The hard part was making fitting and adjusting the parts delicately around my car. I could take it all off if I wanted, but so far I have no desire to. That option will still be an option 10-20ish or more years from now. I rest in that thought of that.

I do drive my car daily except on salty and snowy roads in the winter. Driving a time machine on a daily basis can test your patience and attitude. I enjoy it 99% of the time. I drive it for my own pleasure, so I don't let the opinions of criticism get to me. I have not heard any direct criticism from random places, so it has been encouraging. Some people I come across can not contemplate spending the time and money in doing that. I have been dreaming of this for my whole life, and I can't describe the satisfaction of accomplishing this dream. When those who criticize that, I wonder if they have accomplished their life long dreams?

I believe in preserving the integrity of the cars history and story more than making it movie accurate. I am have fun with the best of both worlds. That catch is that without taking out the back window or using accurate parts, I can not claim a replica status. I claim a very close representation in what it should be. I have done the best with the resources that I have access to. I drive it in the rain, and there is no harm to any of it. It can be a little annoying when I clean around the flux bands.

I want to thank Mark D for his help and advise in helping me accomplish my life long dream.

AdamKontras
01-05-2017, 11:55 PM
As a Time Machine owner with a permanent mod I can safely tell you that these non-destructive mods are awesome and 99% of the people have no idea. I think it's a great way to have your cake and eat it too. Very creative!

stranovegas
01-07-2017, 04:57 PM
I can speak from experience that I have been living out this concept for the past two years. Please go the the "Hissem" post in the BTTF posts. There you will see my home made "NON DESTRUCTIVE" time machine conversion. I can honestly say that it can be done without any hole drilling in the body. There are no scratches on the body panels or the front bumper. All hardware parts that go on the pontoons are mounted to a plate of aluminum that has same shape and contour of the pontoons. That way there are no holes that were drilled there either. The wires there go around the front fenders and up to the back are all clipped with stainless steel clips with a rubber backing that don't scratch the panels.

I have been dreaming and planning on making a time machine for the past 15-20 years and doing it without damaging the car. I have been saving parts and making parts that I hoped to go onto a DeLorean if and when I got a DeLorean. I have years of practice in fabricating all sorts of large and small projects, so this came easy and natural to me. The hard part was making fitting and adjusting the parts delicately around my car. I could take it all off if I wanted, but so far I have no desire to. That option will still be an option 10-20ish or more years from now. I rest in that thought of that.

I do drive my car daily except on salty and snowy roads in the winter. Driving a time machine on a daily basis can test your patience and attitude. I enjoy it 99% of the time. I drive it for my own pleasure, so I don't let the opinions of criticism get to me. I have not heard any direct criticism from random places, so it has been encouraging. Some people I come across can not contemplate spending the time and money in doing that. I have been dreaming of this for my whole life, and I can't describe the satisfaction of accomplishing this dream. When those who criticize that, I wonder if they have accomplished their life long dreams?

I believe in preserving the integrity of the cars history and story more than making it movie accurate. I am have fun with the best of both worlds. That catch is that without taking out the back window or using accurate parts, I can not claim a replica status. I claim a very close representation in what it should be. I have done the best with the resources that I have access to. I drive it in the rain, and there is no harm to any of it. It can be a little annoying when I clean around the flux bands.

I want to thank Mark D for his help and advise in helping me accomplish my life long dream.
Thanks buddy!!! Are you in my RentDelorean.com database? I am always looking for new time machines to add to my referral list around the country.

Hissem
01-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks buddy!!! Are you in my RentDelorean.com database? I am always looking for new time machines to add to my referral list around the country.

I am apart of the DeLorean Midwest Connection. I have done some appearance requests of local locations. I personally don't like to hand over my car to be driven by anyone who has never driven a DeLorean before without me. I always tag along and do the driving of the car. I have displayed it inside the performing arts center in town over night. The event was BTTF theme related and fun. I try to make it work with requests and schedules. If I am asked to drive too far to complete an event in one day and have to make hotel reservations and take vacation to do it, then the price has to be worth my while. I try to be reasonable for what it is worth at the end of the day. I don't own my car for the benefit for others. I own it for my own satisfaction of living the dream. I have no problem sharing it as I can in my free time or at random when I go to places around town. I can easily remember what it was like before I had a DeLorean and understand what I would do and feel if I crossed paths with my life long dream. 482044820548206

stranovegas
01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
I am apart of the DeLorean Midwest Connection. I have done some appearance requests of local locations. I personally don't like to hand over my car to be driven by anyone who has never driven a DeLorean before without me. I always tag along and do the driving of the car. I have displayed it inside the performing arts center in town over night. The event was BTTF theme related and fun. I try to make it work with requests and schedules. If I am asked to drive too far to complete an event in one day and have to make hotel reservations and take vacation to do it, then the price has to be worth my while. I try to be reasonable for what it is worth at the end of the day. I don't own my car for the benefit for others. I own it for my own satisfaction of living the dream. I have no problem sharing it as I can in my free time or at random when I go to places around town. I can easily remember what it was like before I had a DeLorean and understand what I would do and feel if I crossed paths with my life long dream. 482044820548206
The way I've set up RentDelorean.com is basically, if a potential client emails me looking for a delorean in their area, i simply send their information your way. You then let them know your terms, costs, and such. I NEVER recommend my Delorean guys ever let someone else drive their cars. In the end, if you made money off the gig I referred to you, I simply ask for a small referral fee. IF you didnt make anything, or the gig never came to fruition, I don't ask for anything. I base things on the honor system. It has been pretty successful. I am always looking for new guys around the country so if/when an inquiry comes in, I have Delorean owners all over that agree to my terms.
I hope that makes sense. What are your thoughts?
-Andy

cpistocco
01-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Count me in Andy. I cant believe that people aren't lining up in the streets for a non-invasive conversion that can be un-done within 1 hour!!!

I want to take a quick survey. If you, as a Stock Delorean Owner could convert your car into a NON-INVASIVE BTTF Car with things like: Exhaust fins, light up flux bands, and general outside Time Machine looking parts, that are attached without drilling holes into your car... Would you buy such parts?

I'm currently working on a project that will offer stock D owners some outside parts that can be attached to your car fairly easily without costing a fortune, and can be used for the BTTF owner for entertaining the public and detached when wanted.

Is this something the community might be interested in? My theory is, many of us owners are BTTF fans, but don't have the $$$ to send it to the professionals to get a permanent conversion. If you could purchase a few BTTF Exterior parts to attach to your car to impress the public, would you? I've attached some photos of my non-invasive conversion. Everything you see here is attached to the car yet can be taken off with no harm to the car itself.

Thoughts?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/0f9257fcd759266c1dffb5b5e1d9e7a1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/65b781427d1e3460f188a49bacefd525.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170103/cad8b8f7c4fd540102b2601f78fe485b.jpg

aotmfilms
01-10-2017, 04:18 PM
I would be interested in what you had available. More so in the interior department but I am interested specifically in the Front Flux bands and the Glove box radiological meters. Is your timecircuits static? I have mine as a 7 inch iPad in a box magnetically mounted on the dash. Doesn't work well in daylight though.

You can always hit me up on FB.

--Doug

cpistocco
01-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Here's the kit I made for the back... It's not drive-able as the vents are made from gator board (high density foam core). I used it for a couple of events for static display and just set it on top of the engine cover.

I've since got some more accurate parts I will be installing - like the correct hubcap, and heat sinks for the reactor, and the oil separators. However I think even in this state it's really close in spirit. Next up is accurate flux bands, boxes, and wormhole emitter. I've already got the speaker grille for the wormhole emitter.

Cheers
Steven

Hi Steven-
Would you consider building/ selling any props to prospective buyers. Perhaps You, Andy, Mr Hissem and myself could all pitch in with different parts. It is much easier building the same thing twice than re-inventing the wheel for every prop....

cpistocco
01-26-2017, 11:30 PM

Hi Mr Hissem
Would you consider building/ selling any props to prospective buyers. Perhaps You, Andy, Steven, and myself could all pitch in with different parts. It is much easier building the same thing twice than re-inventing the wheel for every prop....

Lwanmtr
01-27-2017, 01:39 AM
I myself wouldnt mind a non-destructive mod I could put on occaisonally, depending on the cost of it.

Hissem
01-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Hi Mr Hissem
Would you consider building/ selling any props to prospective buyers. Perhaps You, Andy, Steven, and myself could all pitch in with different parts. It is much easier building the same thing twice than re-inventing the wheel for every prop....

It is something to consider. What parts are you thinking of?

cpistocco
01-28-2017, 11:24 PM
It is something to consider. What parts are you thinking of?

I remember my Mom and her friends baking cookies every Christmas. One woman would just bake prune cookies....while another would do just macaroons... They would get together before Christmas and swap cookies.......so that they would all have a variety of cookie trays for Christmas. We need to get this same concept going for BTTF enthusiasts that don't have 50 grand to spend on a conversion. If we split up the work, and "mass produce " parts, it will make things easier for everyone. For example, the engine covers would be easy for me to make... I could even laser-cut them. Same for vents (If I had dimensions). Andy does gatorboard vents too.

For the moment, I am looking to do exterior only....non-destructive.

Lwanmtr
01-29-2017, 01:17 AM
I have 3d printing ability and am interested to learn how to make molds to produce multiple copies of things.

mluder
01-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Hi Steven-
Would you consider building/ selling any props to prospective buyers. Perhaps You, Andy, Mr Hissem and myself could all pitch in with different parts. It is much easier building the same thing twice than re-inventing the wheel for every prop....

It's possible... Most of what I've made is very lightweight. Made from gator board which is a more rigid form of foam core if you're familiar with what that is.
That said - I was able to take the CAD drawing of the components that I got from this forum and I took them to a sign maker who used a CNC machine to cut the shapes. Then it was just a matter of fitting them together. I did this to make the vents and central reactor core. Most of the rest is made from off the shelf plumbing bits I bought at Home Depot. What I'm getting at is while I could make these pieces ready to go - just connect some hoses, etc - the size and material might make them expensive to ship. Then you have to mount all of it to a sheet of plywood... etc. If you have any fabrication skills at all it's really not hard to do and would only cost you time and materials. I'd be willing to help you to a degree via e-mail, etc.

That said, if you just don't have the skill or the time, PM me and we'll talk about what I can build for you...
Cheers
Steven

cpistocco
01-30-2017, 10:51 PM
It's possible... Most of what I've made is very lightweight. Made from gator board which is a more rigid form of foam core if you're familiar with what that is.
That said - I was able to take the CAD drawing of the components that I got from this forum and I took them to a sign maker who used a CNC machine to cut the shapes. Then it was just a matter of fitting them together. I did this to make the vents and central reactor core. Most of the rest is made from off the shelf plumbing bits I bought at Home Depot. What I'm getting at is while I could make these pieces ready to go - just connect some hoses, etc - the size and material might make them expensive to ship. Then you have to mount all of it to a sheet of plywood... etc. If you have any fabrication skills at all it's really not hard to do and would only cost you time and materials. I'd be willing to help you to a degree via e-mail, etc.

That said, if you just don't have the skill or the time, PM me and we'll talk about what I can build for you...
Cheers
Steven

Thank You Steven.
That is very kind of you.
Did you have to glue the gatorboard together?
Where did you get the dimensions?
Did you say that your engine cover was made from wood?
Thanks again-
Charlie

mluder
01-31-2017, 06:00 AM
Thank You Steven.
That is very kind of you.
Did you have to glue the gatorboard together?
Where did you get the dimensions?
Did you say that your engine cover was made from wood?
Thanks again-
Charlie

I left the stock engine over in place - in fact I left the louver's in place... Just opened them up. Most people don't know the difference. They're easy enough to remove but may louver latch actually works so I hesitated mucking with it.
That said, I assembled everything on a 1/2" tick sheet of plywood. I put a couple of pieces of carpet on the underside of the plywood so it wouldn't scratch the engine cover. Then it just sits on top.

When the sign maker cut the shapes he left tabs holding everything to the full sheet. I had to cut everything loose, sand the edges a bit, and then assemble with regular old Elmers glue and some straight pins to hold everything while the glue set up. I then detailed some of the joints with hot glue to make it look like welds.

The dimensions came from a CAD drawing that was posted here on the sight. I had to modify it slightly for the thickness of the gator board vs what it would normally be cut from (aluminum). The CAD is pretty accurate - that's why my vents look different from Andy's... I think he just made his interpretation. Most of his car is "in the spirit of" and he'd be the first to admit. He wasn't going for screen accurate. I on the other hand am a stickler to a fault so while I fudged parts, I tried to make it as close as possible. That said, I've since bought a number of screen accurate parts and one day I'll get to putting them in place. Example - the heat sinks around the reactor - Mine are plywood that I fabricated... I now have the real things.

Let me know what if you need more assistance.
Steve

cpistocco
02-01-2017, 09:41 PM
I left the stock engine over in place - in fact I left the louver's in place... Just opened them up. Most people don't know the difference. They're easy enough to remove but may louver latch actually works so I hesitated mucking with it.
That said, I assembled everything on a 1/2" tick sheet of plywood. I put a couple of pieces of carpet on the underside of the plywood so it wouldn't scratch the engine cover. Then it just sits on top.

When the sign maker cut the shapes he left tabs holding everything to the full sheet. I had to cut everything loose, sand the edges a bit, and then assemble with regular old Elmers glue and some straight pins to hold everything while the glue set up. I then detailed some of the joints with hot glue to make it look like welds.

The dimensions came from a CAD drawing that was posted here on the sight. I had to modify it slightly for the thickness of the gator board vs what it would normally be cut from (aluminum). The CAD is pretty accurate - that's why my vents look different from Andy's... I think he just made his interpretation. Most of his car is "in the spirit of" and he'd be the first to admit. He wasn't going for screen accurate. I on the other hand am a stickler to a fault so while I fudged parts, I tried to make it as close as possible. That said, I've since bought a number of screen accurate parts and one day I'll get to putting them in place. Example - the heat sinks around the reactor - Mine are plywood that I fabricated... I now have the real things.

Let me know what if you need more assistance.
Steve
Hi Steve
Thanks again...
Could you tell me where you found the CAD info.....and also, where you obtained the "screen accurate parts"?
-Best
Charlie

stranovegas
02-02-2017, 08:21 PM
All true!! If I did it over again and had the time, I'd love a more "screen accurate" look... But all in all, the public hasn't a clue. And I drive with mine on as well. Its all in good fun.

cpistocco
02-02-2017, 09:32 PM
All true!! If I did it over again and had the time, I'd love a more "screen accurate" look... But all in all, the public hasn't a clue. And I drive with mine on as well. Its all in good fun.

Andy- You're right after my own heart. That's what its all about. I am still working out the details of my (easily) reversible conversion!

mluder
02-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Hi Steve
Thanks again...
Could you tell me where you found the CAD info.....and also, where you obtained the "screen accurate parts"?
-Best
Charlie

Looks like you found Gary Weaver's CAD based on your post on the other thread... Everything is there. If you don't have access to a CAD program I have - or can make a PDF for you.
AS far as screen accurate parts - some from E-bay, some from Amazon believe it or not. Others from suppliers and government surplus searches. You just have to know what you're looking for.
I can try to gather a list of some of the known parts... You're looking exterior exclusively right?

Steve

cpistocco
02-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Looks like you found Gary Weaver's CAD based on your post on the other thread... Everything is there. If you don't have access to a CAD program I have - or can make a PDF for you.
AS far as screen accurate parts - some from E-bay, some from Amazon believe it or not. Others from suppliers and government surplus searches. You just have to know what you're looking for.
I can try to gather a list of some of the known parts... You're looking exterior exclusively right?

Steve
Thanks Steve
For the moment, I am sticking to exterior only (although I may pick up a flux capacitor and maybe a TFC drive switch). I have no intention of removing any of my rear glass. I am going for the basic idea of "not doing everything....but whatever I do, make it accurate"!
Non-destructive....easily reversible.
I would appreciate anything resources that you could provide..
Also, a pdf of the CAD file would be awesome!
Thanks a million!
-Charlie
ps I am doing this for my son :) ( although I am having a ball)!

mluder
02-06-2017, 02:25 AM
Thanks Steve
For the moment, I am sticking to exterior only (although I may pick up a flux capacitor and maybe a TFC drive switch). I have no intention of removing any of my rear glass. I am going for the basic idea of "not doing everything....but whatever I do, make it accurate"!
Non-destructive....easily reversible.
I would appreciate anything resources that you could provide..
Also, a pdf of the CAD file would be awesome!
Thanks a million!
-Charlie
ps I am doing this for my son :) ( although I am having a ball)!

Attached are two versions... One has all the hole locations (correct or not I do not know). The one marked REV has them removed as I did not want the cutter to cut them out. I printed a full size paper version with the screw holes and laid that over the pieces after assembly to locate the holes for screws.

Also two items to note... I resized the slits to 3/16" where the center exhaust louvers slip together... I believe standard practice is to cut from 1/4" aluminum but gator board standard is 3/16"... If you want a PDF of the original I can get that to you tomorrow. Finally this PDF only has the things I needed at the time - vents, reactor parts, and flux boxes (although I never got around to building these). Again - the deck and lots of other pieces are on the orig CAD. I can get PDFs of that to you later if you want/need the whole set. Somewhere I've also got a SketchUp version I created with these pieces to figure out how they went together.

Cheer
Steve

Lwanmtr
02-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Your links appear to be broken.

Timebender
02-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Great info, especially from Steven on his vents etc. I had a similar thought before seeing the work he had done for mine, as I do a lot of events as the Doc and right now have some odds and ends in the cabin, like the FC, the speedo box, and I attach the top part of a Mr. Fusion to my louvers using tape that easily pulls off after - and my Mr. Fusion lights up for night just using the little strand of grain of wheat LEDS with the copper wire and battery box. I plan though on making it more realistic, and hopefully printing a base for it someday.

But, my idea for the vents was to make them as well from gator board that's hinged in the right spots, and a cross bar that goes over the louvers, so the Mr. Fusion would mount to that, and an additional crossbar that's lower - the idea is to spread the weight of the vents across the louvers. Hinging them would allow you to essentially fold them flat so they could fit in your front trunk, or even inside the car as you're head to your event, and on the way home. You could even do them with a light aluminum as well so once set up they could stay on the back of the car on top of the louvers. You'd need to brace the louvers in spots (get the middle brace of course) and then some extra that go form side to side. Also the thought I had was to find a way to slide the vents on so they hook on to the louvers as well, but could be removed easily when you need to work on the engine.

Maybe the cross bars/plate/surfaces could be bungee corded to the louvers, or use some other method.

mluder
02-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Sorry about the broken links... I'll try to fix that tonight.

BTW - My initial plan was to cut the gator board so that it would slip over the louvers with them in the closed position. Then the reactor, etc would all be built to sit on top as well. However I found that the deck equipment mostly sits below the level of the louvers - in other words with the louvers in place the stuff would be below and even if you built it to sit on top it would just look wrong. This is why I decided to just build it as accurate as possible and then just display with the louvers open. Of course you can easily remove and re-install the louvers but I opted not to... I spent a lot of time getting my louver latch to actually work and didn't want to undo that.

Cheers
Steve

Lwanmtr
02-06-2017, 07:28 PM
While my plans for a time machine add on are a ways down the road..I've thought of something on top...but yeah, figured it would look wrong..though if you didnt care about being accurate to the movies at all, something could be designed so that the louvre was actually part of the design with streamlined vents, etc...which would lead to having to redesign the bands and other bits to reflect that... perhaps ill do some mockups..could be interesting...hehe.

cpistocco
02-10-2017, 11:53 PM

BTW - My initial plan was to cut the gator board so that it would slip over the louvers with them in the closed position. Then the reactor, etc would all be built to sit on top as well. However I found that the deck equipment mostly sits below the level of the louvers - in other words with the louvers in place the stuff would be below and even if you built it to sit on top it would just look wrong. This is why I decided to just build it as accurate as possible and then just display with the louvers open. Of course you can easily remove and re-install the louvers but I opted not to... I spent a lot of time getting my louver latch to actually work and didn't want to undo that.

Cheers
Steve

I would love to check out those links....when you have a moment. (they aren't working).
-Best
-Charlie

mluder
02-13-2017, 05:09 AM
I would love to check out those links....when you have a moment. (they aren't working).
-Best
-Charlie

Trying again...

If this doesn't work I'll put them in a Box.com folder.

Cheers
Steven

cpistocco
02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Trying again...

If this doesn't work I'll put them in a Box.com folder.

Cheers

Steven

Thank You Steven.
Do you think that I can use these layouts for 1/8 inch aluminum?
Also, I don't see any measurements / dimensions...
I greatly appreciate all of your help.
-Charlie

mluder
02-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Well... I resized the slots where the fins go together so that they would work with 3/16 gator board. For 18" alum they will be a bit sloppy. The weld can probably make up for that but I'm not a welder so I can t guarantee. Better off getting input from Gary, use the original drawings, or at least talk to whoever is going to weld it up. I'm not sure what kind of tolerances the CNC machine cuts to.

I can probably put together a dimensioned version but most places don't need it - they will just upload the file into their CNC machine and cut the pieces. I recommend also having a full sized paper print made so you can identify the parts when you get them back from the shop.

Cheers
Steven

Lwanmtr
02-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks alot. Do they even make 4'x10' gator board? all I've seen is 4'x8'

mluder
02-14-2017, 02:55 AM
Thanks alot. Do they even make 4'x10' gator board? all I've seen is 4'x8'

They actually make a 5'x10' in 3/16" - I think the shop that cut mine actually split things up on to 2 4'x8' sheets.

Cheers
Steve

aotmfilms
02-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Cheers
Steve

or the weight on the louver and it cracking? How much does some of this equipment weigh Andy?

--Doug

mluder
02-16-2017, 02:28 PM
or the weight on the louver and it cracking? How much does some of this equipment weigh Andy?

--Doug

It depends on your build...
The gator board stuff is negligible - I built the louvers and circular part of the reactor of it. Of course the hubcap and turbine stator adds weight (my original design is actually just two hubcaps and they weigh very little. Because of the hose attachments and at the box area behind the core, I built it out of 1/2" plywood. My reactor has plywood heat sinks around it now - they weigh very little but I am prepping to replace them with the correct aluminum ones... More weight.

Of course what you will build if it's just going to sit on top will be much less if you are aiming for screen accurate. It's really just a bit of the rearmost top of the louvers and the back end as well as the very top of the reactor. Out of gator board this would weigh nothing so you're probably safe.

Cheers
Steven

stranovegas
02-18-2017, 10:04 PM

--Doug
All together... My stuff probably adds...25-30lbs? Not sure.

aotmfilms
03-06-2017, 03:14 PM
All together... My stuff probably adds...25-30lbs? Not sure.

Good to know. Thank you.

--Doug