PDA

View Full Version : General Door key for 2 key system

DMC3165
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately I lost my keys this week. The door key was the only original I had. I do have a copy but its not perfect. It works in the driver door if I jiggle it a little. But it dosent work in the passanger door at all. I was able to get blanks today and have them cut so I at least have something. But I'd really like to have the right keys back. Does anyone know if DMCH or anyone can reproduce keys based on VIN? I may have to consider converting to a one key setup. But I'd like to keep it as it was.

Rich
09-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know if DMCH or anyone can reproduce keys based on VIN?

No, DMCH likely does not have a keycode list by VIN.

Yes, call DMCH to solve your problem. First pop the door roof panel off the inside and look for the door keycode written inside of it on the stainless. DMCH will use that number to cut the new key. I don't think they have door codes matched to VIN.

Start with the driver's door. With it open use a door panel removal spatula tool (from any auto parts store) to pop the roof panel loose at the hidden fir tree fasteners around the edges, then remove it and look at the bottom of the door roof. Sometimes you'll see more than a keycode - maybe some Irish graffiti awaits you there. Take a photo of it, then push the roof panel back on.

AdmiralSenn
09-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Calling DMCH is worth a shot. Especially if your car has any history with one of their franchises. The worst they can do is disappoint you...

I do know that DMCH will decode your key code from a high resolution image of your key for you in the future. So once you get things figured out make sure you send them that so you can get keys cut in the future with a phone call.

But yeah, the door code is usually written under the headliners. If all else fails you're looking at taking off the driver's side and hoping it's there.

David T
09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
DMCH does not support the 2 key system anymore. They may still be able to help you though. The standard response will be to convert to the 1 key system. Your lock cylinders are probably very worn anyway. Alternately you can try a locksmith like Jesser Keys. That will require removal of ALL lock cylinders and sending them out. The only reason to stay with the 2 key system is originality. You can now get the lighted key in the 1 key system too. Much more convenient.
David Teitelbaum

DMC3165
09-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Just one question about the key code. How many numbers or letters or numbers and letters is the code. Thanks

Rich
09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
...question about the key code. How many numbers or letters or numbers and letters is the code?
Mine is "WRxxxx" with each x being one digit.

content22207
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Go to an old fashioned lock smith. He can make a key simply by wiggling a blank in the tumbler, then filing away where the pins rubbed against the blank. Takes about 5 minutes.

#5939 has a double cut key -- ignition on one side and door locks on the other (two radically different cuts). I'm guessing the ignition tumbler was replaced or rekeyed before my ownership.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
The standard response will be to convert to the 1 key system.

Does anyone know when the 1 key system was implemented. 16510 was built in August of 82 and for some reason I have a 2 key system. It works fine but I always thought the 82/83s were supposed to have one key.

Nevermind. I found my answer. http://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx

content22207
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Let's be brutally honest -- how VIN precise are production changes such as 2 key to 1 key? I know for a fact that my October VIN car spent a couple of months out by the fence (I've found December dates on it), which means my integrated door pulls are factory likely original. For all I know my car may have originally been 2 key as well, and a PO simply merged them together onto a single blank.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Let's be brutally honest -- how VIN precise are production changes such as 2 key to 1 key? I know for a fact that my October VIN car spent a couple of months out by the fence (I've found December dates on it), which means my integrated door pulls are factory likely original. For all I know my car may have originally been 2 key as well, and a PO simply merged them together onto a single blank.

Bill Robertson

My door locks seems to be the later style. My guess is that someone changed the door locks and were too lazy/cheap to goto a locksmith to get them keyed to match the ignition. Of course, like you said, there is no telling what might have happened at the factory.

DMC3165
09-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Pulled the roof panel off today and found the key code. I'll call Houston first thing tommorow. Again thanks for the help.

DMC3165
09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I called DMCH this morning to place my order. 20 minutes later James called me and informed me that the door keys are no longer available. Also they don't have the ability to cut the door keys because it such a low demand item they do not have a machine to cut them. So I'm back to square one. I think i'll try a locksmith next before I convert to a one key system.

David T
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Try Jesser Keys. They specialize in classic cars.
David Teitelbaum

Iznodmad
09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I called DMCH this morning to place my order. 20 minutes later James called me and informed me that the door keys are no longer available. Also they don't have the ability to cut the door keys because it such a low demand item they do not have a machine to cut them. So I'm back to square one. I think i'll try a locksmith next before I convert to a one key system.

I'm glad you shared this. I have been meaning to have some extra keys made up for #16128 (I am still using the originals). I was going to call and have DMCH do it, guess not now. Need to look for a local place to do it then.

DMCH James
09-08-2011, 02:05 PM
For the record now:

DMCH has an incomplete set of keycodes by VIN, about 1500 or so of the ~9000 cars made.

DMCH *can* cut a DeLorean ignition key to code. Since this same key is used in gas caps, cubby box locks and later (post VIN 4200) doors, we can obviously cut those, too.

If you don't know or can't find the ignition code (most common on PRE VIN 4200 cars) I can decode it from a good closeup photo like the one attached. I do this for free since I think everyone should know their keycode.

DMCH does not support the early style door locks, which have been unavailable for many years. We don't sell early style blanks, or cut or decode early style keys.

DMCH and our dealers all can provide you with a set of later style door locks, keyed to match your ignition, if you want to upgrade to the later style locks.

I'm glad you shared this. I have been meaning to have some extra keys made up for #16128 (I am still using the originals). I was going to call and have DMCH do it, guess not now. Need to look for a local place to do it then.

Therefore, if you provide me with the keycode or a good closeup photo of the key, I can cut or decode and cut the keys for VIN 16128.

James

tgraham
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I think i'll try a locksmith next before I convert to a one key system.

I have a car that had the early style locks. IMO, if it's not a concours car, it's worth every penny to convert to the late-style locks! They work and look leagues better.

Travis

Iznodmad
09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Therefore, if you provide me with the keycode or a good closeup photo of the key, I can cut or decode and cut the keys for VIN 16128.

James

Thanks for clearing that up James. I have the original key code tag, so getting you that information will be easy. I have other things I need to order, so I will make a list and order that soon. Thanks.

wtbstuff
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
FYI I sent my door key to Dave and Julee at DMC Midwest. They had someone that could cut it. It wasn't cheap $25 for the cut and $5 for the key. But I couldn't find anyone in st. louis that could cut it.

Jay

DMC3165
09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Fortunately for me, My keys turned up! I thought they were gone for good but someone at work found them and put them in the lost and found. My manager recognized the DMC logo and gave them back to me.

In addition Rob Grady told me he has a locksmith that can cut the old style door key the "correct" way. This way I can avoid the trouble I've been having with my duplicates that were cut at ACE hardware.