PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rain-X on stainless?

Farrar
09-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I couldn't help but notice today how much I enjoy looking at my car in the rain. It looks so pretty with the water beading off of the panels and falling off. However, this does not happen on the hood -- it's too flat. Also, there tends to be some staining where the water carries dirt down the panels from underneath the side mirrors. (Fear not, he-who-keeps-his-D-inside-at-all-times-lest-the-magic-disappear -- the stains wipe off.) Anyway, I was thinking: it would be even more awesome if the water beaded away from the hood the way it beads off of the glass. I use Rain-X on the glass to wonderful effect. Has anyone ever tried it on the stainless panels? If so, how did it perform?

Farrar

sean
09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Never tried it but heck, give it a go on a panel.

Farrar
09-03-2011, 08:28 PM

I just might ... heck, if there's a bit of a lull in the rain this evening I might go out, dry off a fender, and apply Rain-X to one half of it to see what happens tomorrow.

Farrar

propony
09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I use Invisible Glass, the purple bottle that is rain beading formula. I think it also keeps finger prints a little less noticable.
It may just be my imagination...

dvonk
09-03-2011, 10:41 PM

+1, id be really curious to see the results. use your fancy HD video camera to record it! :wink:

Farrar
09-03-2011, 11:32 PM
+1, id be really curious to see the results. use your fancy HD video camera to record it! :wink:

I actually reduced the resolution on my videocamera from 1080p/60fps to 720p/30fps because my computer is so old that I had to upload video to YouTube before I could watch anything but the first frame. At 720p/30fps the audio plays consistently and I see the video change about once every ten seconds. :lol:

Farrar

dvonk
09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
haha, sounds like my computer, except i have to watch at 360p :dead:

i still appreciate the video quality though! :biggrin:

Kenny_Z
09-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Just paint it red. The water beads up great with just a little wax. Even the king agrees.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/kingd.jpg

Nuclearbacon
09-10-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm bringing this one out of retirement! For the King! haha

I'm looking to try to get rid of a ton of surface stains on my stainless. mostly water spots that were there when I bought the car.

Shep
09-16-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm bringing this one out of retirement! For the King! haha

I'm looking to try to get rid of a ton of surface stains on my stainless. mostly water spots that were there when I bought the car.Pics? Surface stains come in different varieties. I have pits in my right rear quarterpanel after an innocent-looking stain was literally eating away the stainless. Other times it just needs the right thing to clean it with.

Quick note: 10 parts water to 1 part dawn makes for an amazing Stainless soap. Don't use it on any other car though, doesn't do well for rustable things.