PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with Alcantara Cloth/fabric

chef4u
09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I got my hands on Alcantara fabric, the same materials that covers Ferrari's and Lamborgini's. I'm thinking of using it to cover my dash and T-panel, & Binacle. I welcome any remarks and ideas.
Clarito

h22wut
09-04-2011, 12:25 PM
nice job with getting some alcantara :) I wrapped a couple pieces in suede on mine so far. Looks pretty good, But I know that the glue won't hold up in the panels in the top of the door, so I made a piece to go in there to keep it in place. All I can say when you do it is take your time, and do it a step at a time, the panels I did were kind of a pita because of the shape. Also, use a new razor when cutting foam, and switch it up often. it'll make it so much easier, trust me. You can see on the first piece where I didn't use a brand new blade, and the side of the center piece is kind of choppy.

edit: make sure you use the web spray adhesive glue as well. The regular stuff just doesn't work as well. Let it sit for a minute and get tacky before you apply the fabric.

chef4u
09-04-2011, 12:35 PM
My plan is to coat fiberglass resin on the T-panels and make it more durable. Once it dries, it will be stiff enough to accept the 3M adhesive.
As for the head piece on the door, this will be genuine gray leather. I think it looks better.

Clarito