PDA

View Full Version : DIY Clear Coat Repair

nofear365
09-05-2011, 05:20 PM
A few months back I purchased a '99 Jaguar XK8 convertible that had 44k original miles on it. The people who owned it last didn't necessary abuse the car - they simply neglected it. They also weren't gear heads by any means so anytime they had any type of issue they ran to the dealership for repair. Eventually the repair bills got out of hand and that's how I ended up with the car.

For the last 2 months or so I've been busy replacing and repairing anything and everything I could get my hands on. I've gotten amazing deals from craigslist and eBay. (4 Bridgestone Turranza tires from a brand new wrecked Acura with less than 100 miles on it for 240 bucks mounted and balanced!!!) I must say I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far...

However, one thing I planned on putting off until next spring or summer was to have my driver side quarter panel professionally resprayed. The clear coat is baked, hazy, and is flaking off. Again, I knew this when I purchased the car and used this to lower the price dramatically. The car looks SO mint until you see the quarter panel and all attention gets diverted to it's clear coat literally flaking off. Looks like sh-t to say the least.

I figured I'd have nothing to loose so I gave it a shot. I watched a ton of videos on how to spray clear coat from the can, how to prep the car, how to finish the project, etc... At first I was really unhappy with the outcome. But I kept at it and each day it's looking better and better.

I'm no autobody professional by all means but this really is a project almost anyone can do with very decent results.

Don't forget to chose HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCGgmlsK3I&hd=1

sean
09-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Great video! Looks really good and yeah, from 5+ feet you cant really tell.