PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vice after working on car?

Spittybug
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Time for a little revelation. You've bruised your knuckles, cursed at those responsible for items such as pipes of doom, unreachable distributors, alternators waaay to close to exhaust manifolds, not to mention otterstats and freakin fan fails...

After you've cleaned up and are in need of some "refreshment", what is it? Type and brand. Please, no tangents, no rants. I'm merely interested in people's choice of refreshment.

Me, personally, ice cold (freezer) vodka, straight up, couple of olives. I am a bit of a vodka snob and enjoy trying new brands. The key is the cost/taste ratio. My personal favorite is probably Kettel One, but for the money, the hands down winner, and very, very close in taste, is Viking Fjord. That and a handful of pistachios, and the dog and I can play catch for a while!

When not in the vodka mood, I like a sweet bourbon (Jeremiah Weed) cut with a little Jim Beam or Old Crow (aka rot gut) to lessen the sweetness a bit.

I could go on and on about other boozes, but we'll leave that for the next thread. Favorites only here......:cheers1:

sean
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Honestly my preferred vice is my better half, but since we are talking drinks:

I'm a sucker for the sweet stuff when it comes to the hard stuff. For me:
Bacardi with cherry pepsi
Or
Vanilla vodka with pineapple juice

Otherwise it's
Blue Moon
or
Stella Artois

I'm far from a drink snob and like what I like independent of cost. If it tastes good it's fine with me.

Dracula
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
There just seems to be something about these cars that drives one to drink; no pun intended.

My personal choice would be a mixer of Crown Royal and Coke or seltzer, but that can get to be a bit expensive on a regular basis, so I save that for days when I need it most.

On an average day of frustration, I'll stick with Canadian Club and the aforementioned mix-ins.

There are two exceptions to this:

1. I'm at a bar that has neither Crown Royal or Canadian Club and I know this before ordering, then it's Bourbon whiskey.

2. The other is Crown Royal XR; one of the best whiskeys I've ever had and with a price to match. To-date, I've only ever drank from my bottle of it when I returned from Iraq as my first drink back in the US.

Granted, I never drink when I expect to drive or will be driving that evening.

Mike C.
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
When I drink, it's jack and coke or rum and coke. Seriously... that's it.

Farrar
09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm a fan of the Pepsi Throwback. :)

Farrar

kajcienski
09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm a bit of a micro-brew freak and switch often - but I keep coming back to a good English bitter. It soothes the back pain ;)

Jacko
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry to be boring but if it's hot (and it has been!) I'll have a Bud Light ... or three.

nullset
09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Laphraiog 12 year single malt…… It's what I had the first time 2930's engine fired :)

As far as good vodka for the price goes, I _highly_ recommend Sobieski. Try it…you will like it vastly more than the price would indicate.

I'm a bit of a liquor snob, in that I refuse to stock or serve anything that comes in a plastic bottle….. :)

--buddy

timothymoore
09-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Sorry to be boring but if it's hot (and it has been!) I'll have a Bud Light ... or three.

i love those....... i also like drinking grey goose and cranberry juice.

dmcjohn
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Well I love a good pint of Guinness (and it's way better over here in Ireland), but for American beers I love Sam Adams, or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great too! Also Brooklyn Ale.

DMCMW Dave
09-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I tried to link a picture of "A lovely day for a Guiness" but it didn't work.

Smithwicks is a good second choice but harder to find.

I need one now.

AdmiralSenn
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
After working on the car?

Typically ice cold water and a cold shower.

What? I don't drink, and it's hot down here.

stevedmc
09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
A cigarette.

Ron
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Black Russian!

=====

After working on the car?
Typically ice cold water and a cold shower.

(Pssst....It's not the cars it's the forums)

nullset
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Irish car bomb sounds good!

Too soon?

sean
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Respect The Spittybug and please stay on topic here, for him ;-)

jmettee
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Not a beer drinker (don't like it), but do drink liquor & whiskey occasionally. However, my current favorite is Magner's Irish Cider. For anyone who doesn't know it, it's pretty far from a Woodchuck...nowhere near as sweet & candied. Smells like beer & is just 'sweet' enough that I like it, while on the verge of tasting like beer.

DMCNY
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/budlightlime.jpg

Jonathan
09-06-2011, 11:09 PM
--> CANADIAN CONTENT WARNING <-- LOL

Simple and refreshing = Blue Light
Out for a meal or a pint or two = Rickard's Red or Keith's Red
Christmas time drink or every now and then = Rye (yes rye not whiskey, aka Crown Royal) and ginger

Anytime I go to the States, I'm always looking for the local beers. I love reds and ambers. Yeungling is pretty good, same for Sam Adams (the original one?), I like Rolling Rock too. I remember when out in Portland Oregon there was some local red beer that was dynamite, but can't think of it. Mc-something. And you can't go wrong with Coors Original... the banquet beer!

But to be truthful, I put 5x more coffee in my body than any other liquid. Man do I love my Keurig machine.

TheDutchTexan
09-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Euro:
- Amstel
- Heineken
- Palm
- Erdinger Weissbräu Heffeweisen

USA:
- Shiner Bock

Mexico:
- Dos Equis

Funny little tidbit, both USA and Mexico beers I have a taste for where brewed by Europeans. Any other US beers get drunk on occasion, but lack the punch to be mentioned on the list.

Renee_1632
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Baltika 9. Delicious Russian beer.

Lenny
09-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Lipton Citrus Green Tea straight from the freezer while it's "Mushy" with ice.

stevedmc
09-07-2011, 10:22 AM
A cigarette.

I forgot to mention that I don't smoke.

tyb323
09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
When I drink, it's jack and coke or rum and coke. Seriously... that's it.

^This for me too

Or a mike's hard

DMC3165
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
A cigarette.

+1

Along with an Ice cold Blue Moon. However my wifes bartender cousin told me I've been drinking them wrong all these years. I'm supposed to put a twist of Orange in it. You know what, she was right!

jackb
09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
1) A John Daly. My absolute favorite drink ever.
2) Tom Collins are outstanding, a very close second place.
3) (tied) Gin and Tonic or 50/50 Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Vodka and water

Dangermouse
09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Dos XX or Tecate with lime

If it's just a thirst quencher I'm after I'll have a shandy - half cold lager, half cold sprite. Very refreshing.

dvonk
09-08-2011, 11:27 PM
my favorite drink is a screwdriver with a high-quality vodka. the best vodka that ive tasted to date is Reyka (http://www.reyka.com/). i usually have to settle for Svedka since i cant afford the 'top shelf.'

i like dark German beers as well; Warsteiner Dunkel, Spaten Optimator, etc.

Mike C.
09-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I know we aren't all alkies, but when in Central FL working on someone's car, we almost always ended up either at a bar at Universal Citywalk, or some place that had drinks.

Since my latest attempt at being good and continuing sobriety, when Im done, usually it's just a long shower and something to eat, or rest.

timothymoore
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
sipping on a yuengling lager right now. tastes pretty darn good. way for me to bump a thread thats been dormant for 6 months lol.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Miami.... Heheh, I just had to.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Long island ice tea or a margarita. Refreshing and sweet.

pezzonovante88
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm a fan of the Pepsi Throwback. :)

Farrar

+1

jawn101
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
sipping on a yuengling lager right now. tastes pretty darn good. way for me to bump a thread thats been dormant for 6 months lol.

Mm.. Thats a special old treat from my college days. We used to drive down from Rochester to PA to get it before it was available by us. Then all the bars started carrying it and it was ON :)

ccurzio
03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I brew my own beer, so beer I'd be drinking doesn't have a label. :)

That being said, if I'm buying commercial beer I like a lot of things. Stone makes a really good IPA as does Sweetwater. Guinness is good, but it's not really a working-on-the-car kind of beer. That deserves a lager, in my opinion.

If we're talking liquor, I like a good Jim Jones. (Liking the sweet drinks you should definitely try those, sean. They are excellent.) I can also do a little rum and orange juice, but I'm usually pretty happy having a simple glass of scotch with a splash of spring water.

Victor
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Here in colder climate, it's coffee for me (black with mapple syrup) or tea (with mapple syrup). What can I say, I absolutely love mapple sirup! Luckuly we have plenty around here!
I do like NewCastle beer or McEwans beer, very cold. Or orange SanPelligrino with vodka.

aludden
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
++ on the coffee!!! I make a pretty strong Americano! :coffee:

Jonathan
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
+3 on the coffee! I love the java! I could talk for hours about how much I love my Keurig machine too :)

Farrar
03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
I am drinking black coffee now and wishing I had Maple syrup... might try it when I get home. I usually put Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.

Dracula
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
I usually put Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.

I learned that from grandpa who heard about it when he was stationed in Alaska in 1946. Delicious.

Jonathan
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I learned that from grandpa who heard about it when he was stationed in Alaska in 1946. Delicious.

This is mandatory knowledge as a Canadian, and is represented by question #3 on the application form :) Hey, it's not a stereotype if it's true, is it, lol?

jawn101
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
This is mandatory knowledge as a Canadian, and is represented by question #3 on the application form :) Hey, it's not a stereotype if it's true, is it, lol?

Since we're on about Canadians, Maple syrup and coffee... have any of you tried letting one of those maple sugar candies dissolve in your coffee? It's pure heaven, if a little expensive :)

Farrar
03-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Since we're on about Canadians, Maple syrup and coffee... have any of you tried letting one of those maple sugar candies dissolve in your coffee? It's pure heaven, if a little expensive :)

No, but I've put gelato or ice cream in my coffee before. :)

living_the_dream
03-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Where was your grandpa stationed? I work on Fort Wainwright and occasionally go out to Eielson air force base

qwerk
03-18-2012, 12:37 AM
I usually put Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.

Nothing like REAL maple syrup on ice cream ;)

Dracula
03-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Where was your grandpa stationed? I work on Fort Wainwright and occasionally go out to Eielson air force base

He was at Ladd ACB, though I can't remember if that was before or after he was sent to Europe.

Farrar
03-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Nothing like REAL maple syrup on ice cream ;)

No kidding. Can't believe I never tried it until I was 33 years old. The family used to get a bottle of Maple syrup for Christmas when I was a kid -- what a treat! We'd try to make it last all year, and always fail. :lol: Brings back good memories whenever I see an old-fashioned glass bottle of the stuff.

living_the_dream
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
He was at Ladd ACB, though I can't remember if that was before or after he was sent to Europe.

Crazy. That's same place as Fort Wainwright where I work now. It used to be called Ladd field until the 60's. No doubt I've walked many of the same buildings as your grandfather has. They have A LOT of historical buildings there. Hanger 1 and Murphy Hall are two of the oldest buildings there and I've been in both plenty of times.

qwerk
03-18-2012, 11:20 PM
No kidding. Can't believe I never tried it until I was 33 years old. The family used to get a bottle of Maple syrup for Christmas when I was a kid -- what a treat! We'd try to make it last all year, and always fail. :lol: Brings back good memories whenever I see an old-fashioned glass bottle of the stuff.

First time I ever had it on ice cream, I was probably about 12 and we actually tapped the maple tree in our backyard, boiled it down, and everything. Good stuff. :biggrin: