PDA

View Full Version : Carb antifreeze in the air cleaner housing

Farrar
09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Now that I've fixed my oil leak, it's time for a new air filter. So I went out last night to buy one, and when I took the old air filter out, I noticed fresh antifreeze on the lower air cleaner housing. It was nice and clean, like it had just come out of the bottle. I also noticed some antifreeze on the air cleaner itself, but only on the inside.

I had not run the engine for more than 15 minutes so it was not very hot yet.

Color me stumped. How would clean antifreeze end up inside the air cleaner housing, without passing through the air filter? The only other way air can get in there is through the oil breather cap, and I would expect any fluid coming through there to be dirty -- not clean and green.

Theories?

Farrar

stevedmc
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Now that I've fixed my oil leak, it's time for a new air filter. So I went out last night to buy one, and when I took the old air filter out, I noticed fresh antifreeze on the lower air cleaner housing. It was nice and clean, like it had just come out of the bottle. I also noticed some antifreeze on the air cleaner itself, but only on the inside.

I had not run the engine for more than 15 minutes so it was not very hot yet.

Color me stumped. How would clean antifreeze end up inside the air cleaner housing, without passing through the air filter? The only other way air can get in there is through the oil breather cap, and I would expect any fluid coming through there to be dirty -- not clean and green.

Theories?

Farrar

Have we checked your car for a head gasket leak?

Farrar
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Have we checked your car for a head gasket leak?

No, but it has never badly overheated so I did not suspect this. Do you still have that test kit? If not, where can I buy one?

Farrar

stevedmc
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
No, but it has never badly overheated so I did not suspect this. Do you still have that test kit? If not, where can I buy one?

Farrar

Yep, I still have the thing. We can test for a head gasket leak next time we get together. Hopefully it isn't what is causing the problem, but a head gasket leak can cause coolant to get in your oil.

The weird part is the coolant being clean. Have you noticed any loss of coolant in your resevoir tank?

TTait
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
If the engine was running when you put coolant in it at some point, or if some excess came out the overflow tube, it could have run/dripped onto the air intake hose and gotten sucked into the filter housing?

Farrar
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
The weird part is the coolant being clean. Have you noticed any loss of coolant in your resevoir tank?

Only when I let the car sit for a long time. I assumed it was a leaky heater core.

Farrar

Ron
09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
The weird part is the coolant being clean.+1

Any chance that you are keeping the tank TOO full and it is somehow getting on top of the air cleaner and seeping past the wing nut?

Farrar
09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Any chance that you are keeping the tank TOO full and it is somehow getting on top of the air cleaner and seeping past the wing nut?

I have learned not to rule anything out when it comes to this car.

I generally fill the tank until the level of coolant is about midway up the sight tube, which is just above the height of the big return hose at the back. The radiator cap is good that I know of -- at least I have not heard it hissing. However, I may just open the engine compartment and run the engine until it gets hot enough to turn on the radiator fans and watch what happens.

I may also rent a pressure tester from AutoZone and pressurize the cooling system with the intake manifold removed -- perhaps I have a slow coolant leak in the engine valley. If antifreeze is bubbling down there, it might spatter high enough to land in the air cleaner housing.

Farrar

stevedmc
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Hopefully it isn't a head gasket leak but if it is you could try this product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9QjN7AcW8

Farrar
09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I bought a new air filter and cleaned out the air filter housing on Sunday. When I fire up the engine tomorrow, I will see if any coolant mysteriously appears in there.

Farrar