PDA

View Full Version : How To: Hook up 1990's Nissan Altima Mirror Switch

rickjames8
08-06-2017, 01:22 PM
So after several hours of horking around with a late 90''s Honda switch (because IMHO it looked a lot better being square), I decided to go with a Nissan switch that fit the stock opening much better. Also, the point I reached with the Honda switch, I had some odd behavior that I felt would have needed a relay to work out.

So here is the Nissan install:

52706 52707 52708

I need to put a shim in the back to make it sit more flush, but for now, it's in and works. Here's the wire codes incase anyone else wants to make the swap:

Delorean | Nissan
-------------------------------
Wh/Brn \
> Pur/Wht
Wh/pur /
Wh/Grn > Blk/Rd
White > Yel/Rd
Wh/Blu > Blu/Blk
Wh/Red > Yel/Blk

In case it's not clear, the White/Brown and White/purple on the Delorean harness get tied together and attached to the Pur/White on the Nissan side.

When ordering one of these on eBay, get one with the harness (wire dongle). You should be able to find this for under $10.

Also, some of these switches have controls for heated mirrors. They'd probably still work, but just avoid them as the wire color codes are different than what I have above.

-Rick

Drive Stainless
08-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Nice find!!!

Dangermouse
08-08-2017, 08:26 AM
That's a great alternative:hihi:

and extra points for using the "How To" section correctly :)

Patrick C
08-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Just ordered one to try out! Thanks!

Patrick C
08-18-2017, 07:34 PM
How about a photo of the back of the mirror switch? My colors are different.

Patrick C
08-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Here’s the stock wiring diagram. I just need to know what wire is in what position on the Nissan switch.

Stock switch:
positive: light green
negative: black
WhiteBrown switches polarity Left and Right
WhitePurple switches polarity Up and Down
WhiteGreen: Left Mirror Up Down
White: Left Mirror Side Side
WhiteBlue: Right Up DOWN
WhiteRed: RIGHT Side Side

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31640&d=1416448838

Patrick C
08-18-2017, 09:15 PM
What stock wires are these pins connected to on your car, Rick?

rickjames8
08-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Patrick - I have slightly different pinouts it seems. I'll attach a couple photos.

On the one side I have (reading L to R looking at it): Yel/red, Yel/Blk, Blu/Red, Blu
Flip it over and now (L to R) Pur/White, Black, Pur

52868 52869

rickjames8
08-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Also, I've reloaded my OS since this project and didn't bother to save my downloads folder as I didn't need anything in there (project being complete and all). But there is an image of it on the OP. I do remember seeing many that were really close. Perhaps one of those matches the wiring you have. I'll see if I can find the actual paper I printed, but i think I tossed it.

Patrick C
08-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Rick. I give up on this one. For anyone else, make sure to buy the switch with the exact colors Rick mentions. Otherwise you are looking at wasting hours.

rickjames8
08-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Well, I would not give up just yet. There are enough common colors that I think if you joined up the ones that are the same (which I have a feeling would be right), you're most of the way there. You can't hurt the motors by hooking anything up wrong and testing it out. Sending two negs to the motor does nothing, sending 2 pos to the motor does nothing. So a little trial and error should get you there. It took me a day of messing with the Honda one and recording the wiring combos I tried and the resulting actions of each button. After a while it's easy to figure out which wire does what. I googled around for a bit and could not find a diagram that had an orange wire.

Patrick C
08-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Well, I would not give up just yet. There are enough common colors that I think if you joined up the ones that are the same (which I have a feeling would be right), you're most of the way there. You can't hurt the motors by hooking anything up wrong and testing it out. Sending two negs to the motor does nothing, sending 2 pos to the motor does nothing. So a little trial and error should get you there. It took me a day of messing with the Honda one and recording the wiring combos I tried and the resulting actions of each button. After a while it's easy to figure out which wire does what. I googled around for a bit and could not find a diagram that had an orange wire.

Hi Rick. I thought the same thing; that the common colors would carry over between your switch and my switch. No dice. I just bought another switch that appears to have the same pinout as yours, so I will give that a try when it comes in! This switch does look right at home in the DeLorean though.