PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Census

dtavres
08-16-2017, 05:53 AM
The DeLorean Census - www.DeLoreanDirectory.com/census (http://www.DeLoreanDirectory.com/census) - is an ongoing project by a group of DeLorean owners who hope to find out just how many cars have survived since 1981, and to help the community connect with clubs and owners around the world.

Since the DeLorean was first sold, the cars have moved around the globe. They’ve been wrecked in accidents. They’ve been parted out for other DeLoreans. They’ve melted in fires. They’ve moved to museums, and they’ve been forgotten in storage. The purpose of the DeLorean Census is to determine what has happened to our beloved car, and to help the DeLorean community keep track of which ones are left.

We’re asking all DeLorean Clubs, owners, and fans around the world to share this Census call on their social media, in their newsletters, on their websites, and during their meetings. The DeLorean Census data will always be available online, for free, and will never be sold. Some information will be optional, and contributors can choose to keep their contact information private.

Please email [email protected] with questions, ideas, or comments, or if you want to share many photos of a submitted VIN.

Thanks for your help!
Dave

dn010
08-16-2017, 10:15 AM
???

Unless you guys are offering something different, this has already been going on for years. Click a vin range at the bottom of the page or enter your own vin, check out stats, etc:

http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/vin.asp

Jonathan
08-16-2017, 10:23 AM
I'll agree with Dan on it being more or less already in place... and that I'm not sure I'm super comfortable with that amount of information on me or my car being kept somewhere. IT security, hackers, etc.

I am okay with all of us trying to track down where all the cars are or were, but some of the info boxes you're asking for don't seem necessary to me. Not to mention that a fair bit of that info could be filled in without the car owner's consent, by certain DeLorean fans we have out there that are a bit on the fanatical side.

I won't be filling one in for my own car and don't feel it's appropriate for someone else to go filling it in on my behalf either.

Nicholas R
08-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Good lord that's a lot of info boxes!! Do you really need to know if I park my car in a garage or in a carport?? Or what type of registration stickers I have? This seems a bit excessive and borderline invasive. I'm not sure I'm ready to fill all my information into this either. Especially since it's not quite clear who is controlling the information and what it's all for.

As the two above stated, it's probably best to start by collaborating with the folks that have been doing this for years rather than take this on from scratch.

BladeBronson
08-16-2017, 05:25 PM
You can calculate the full vin from the last 5 digits. Boom! One less field. :)

Michael
08-16-2017, 06:19 PM
In order to find out how many cars survived you will need to know how many people responded to your census AND how many people did not(that's the hard one). I think I answered more questions on my last home re-fi, so I'm betting the number that choose not to respond it pretty high.

Iznodmad
08-16-2017, 08:13 PM
I agree with the others. The VIN registry has been ongoing for over 20 years. There is so much info there that has been accumulated from old factory records, original sales info, and new information added as well. No reason to reinvent the wheel, just try to add info to the current system as you find it.

Soundkillr
08-20-2017, 09:13 AM
I guess it's just me, but I have always hated these Damn Vin trackers and the effort to find out everyone's Vin and where they live. I have always found it intrusive. It's a car, someone either owns it or they don't.

Michael
08-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Im making a registry for everyone that wants a Delorean but doesn't have one.

refugeefromcalif
08-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Don't forget to make two more. One for owners that want a second DeLorean and, one for owners that Own more than one.:wave2:
(You need to cover all bases)...
George

Soundkillr
08-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Please be sure to include what future owners have for lunch. Daily.

Lwanmtr
08-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Yeah, its already been done...as mentioned earlier, as collaboration with the current folks would be a good idea.

Seeing a form like that makes me want to just fill in random stuff...hehe

That is alot of information...you dont need license plate # or tabs... while it may be a legit thing..it almost reads as a database for car theives that specialize in deloreans...
with plate # and all that they could get your address, etc..then again, maybe I'm just paranoid...I mean I'd someone discover the Ford Focus in the driveway and steal that...

They did forget to ask how many wheels, what kind of lights, eyebrows, fuzzy dice...

DeLoreanGirl
09-06-2017, 12:39 AM
I'm confused as to why this census only has an owner age range of under 18 or 19 and older. What about the 18 year olds?

dtavres
09-06-2017, 12:42 AM
I'm confused as to why this census only has an owner age range of under 18 or 19 and older. What about the 18 year olds?

Thanks... fixed! :)

Lwanmtr
09-06-2017, 01:11 AM
I thought it was due to the law that 18 year olds are not able to own deloreans ...17 and younger, yep...19 and older, yep...18, go to jail.

DeLoreanGirl
09-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Hahaha! They couldn't stand me in jail. One day of that, and they'd be begging me to go back to my DeLorean.

Shep
09-25-2017, 01:02 AM
A few questions / notes:

- Engine types include DMCH Stage options, but there's nothing for DPI SPEC? I think I'm on SPEC II or III by now, would have to check when the turbo kicks in and go one notch below that.
- Finish and interior includes "good" and "bad" options, but no "fair"? My interior is most definitively a "fair", I mean it's not unbearable, but it's getting some massive TLC this winter.
- Car storage -- this really shouldn't be on there. Scientific as it might be, there's a fine line between gathering voluntary info and giving would-be thieves access to finding the easiest targets. 2 cents.
- When "Source" is selected as "owner", the fields for "current owner ____" should disappear. Also should probably be renamed to "Reported by" as it's vague until you see the option list (what's the "website" option for anyways?)

- Owner birth year should be a thing. Let your system figure out the age automatically, I ain't changing much. 1990 FWIW.
- Gender: "Mixed"... I think the correct term is "Other". I have never heard of gender being "mixed", and Akron's big on the LGBT community. There's a lot of terms, but that ain't one of them.
- Miles driven per year -- can this be a text field? 500 miles all the way up to 5,000 miles, and here I am lucky to get in 2,000 miles.
- Ordering on the condition fields are weird. My car overall isn't quite excellent, but it's better than Good, so it's "Time Machine Conversion"? Should probably put that option on top just to be safe. They're in their own class by default. A beat up looking time machine is still screen accurate if it's beat up right.

- Date observed / last seen -- why is this mandatory? If I own the car... Maybe a field rename is in order, so "info good as of" maybe?
- The form didn't care when I put in 12/31/2037 as last seen ;) Will be interesting to see how that works... Call me "future boy".

Submitted, but wondering too how we go about updating records. Is that a thing?