PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in TX: How are our friends @ DMC Houston doing?

OverlandMan
08-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Anyone heard from James or any of the gang down in Houston? They are having historic flooding problems in that area as a result of Harvey. I've been following the news reports and saw some bad flooding up around the Beltway 8. Hope they are all OK.

Citizen
08-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Anyone heard from James or any of the gang down in Houston? They are having historic flooding problems in that area as a result of Harvey. I've been following the news reports and saw some bad flooding up around the Beltway 8. Hope they are all OK.

Thomas checking in from Houston.

Yep, massive flooding. They're saying it's a 500 yr flood. Pretty much everybody in and around Houston got hit. My immediate family and I, dogs and DeLo are ok, so far. Still raining now, and we can't get out of the subdivision. Still have power. More rain expected the next two days, I think.

I texted Shannon and got a reply just a while ago. He and family and dogs are ok too. Still have power also.

Have not heard from the others yet.

Thomas

DaraSue
08-27-2017, 11:07 AM
James posted as safe on Facebook. Crossing my fingers for everybody...

Michael
08-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Anyone heard from James or any of the gang down in Houston? They are having historic flooding problems in that area as a result of Harvey.
Special T has been a thorn in their side for over a decade.

OverlandMan
08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Thomas checking in from Houston.

Yep, massive flooding. They're saying it's a 500 yr flood. Pretty much everybody in and around Houston got hit. My immediate family and I, dogs and DeLo are ok, so far. Still raining now, and we can't get out of the subdivision. Still have power. More rain expected the next two days, I think.

I texted Shannon and got a reply just a while ago. He and family and dogs are ok too. Still have power also.

Have not heard from the others yet.

Thomas

Thomas,

Glad you and your family are OK. Hopefully the bulk of the rain will push East or away from Houston sooner than later. Thanks replying and checking-in. Same traffic for Shannon. Keep us posted! Prayers and thoughts going out to everyone affected down there.

Michael

Originally Posted by OverlandMan
Anyone heard from James or any of the gang down in Houston? They are having historic flooding problems in that area as a result of Harvey.

Special T has been a thorn in their side for over a decade.

81dmc
08-27-2017, 06:36 PM
No idea on DMCH's condition, but considering Will Clayton at 59 already looks like this,
when it should be looking like this,
It wouldn't surprise me to see some damage.

My neighborhood is thankfully not flood prone, but in any case if any water tries to make its way to me I'm prepared to quickly put 831 on jack stands.

Prayers go out to all badly effected in this crazy storm.

Henrik
08-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Given the terrible flooding that's taking place in south/southeast Texas - including the Houston area: Has anyone been able to reach out to DMC Houston to see how they're doing?

Henrik

Nicholas R
08-28-2017, 03:24 PM
James has been posting on Facebook. So far it sounds as though the DMC facility is high and dry.

Henrik
08-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Great to hear. Every time I've been there it feels as if they are sitting in low-lying terrain, so I'm glad they've been spared.

DaraSue
08-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Sarah posted today that the facility is clear of the flooding and the employees are safe, but some of them have had water damage at their houses and nobody can get to work because the streets are still underwater.

Mark D
08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
I called earlier today to see how things were going and got redirected to Danny at DMC-CA. He said the same things that others have already posted.... Basically employees were unable to get to work due to flooding in other parts of the Houston area, so they're closed for the next few days.

I got curious and looked up the flood plain map for the area:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53128&d=1503952018

DMCH is right on the edge of the 500 year flood plane zone so if what they're saying on the news is true it's possible flood waters could come up from the south.

The other issue besides flooding is dealing with runoff and ponding from the massive rains. From what it looks like on google maps is there is a big grassy field behind the warehouse for water runoff from the parking lot and building roof. I would think the large area for drainage would mean less risk of localized flooding from all the runoff.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53129&d=1503952625

I hope everyone stays safe down there.

Mark D
08-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Going further down the rabbit hole, there are a few traffic cams near I65 and HWY 8 near DMCH.

https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/gc.aspx?cam=1228&loc=IH-69_Eastex_at_Aldine_Bender&fr=1&ps=0

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53131&d=1503954621

Here's approximately the same view from google maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/V5vNroaBbNC2

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53130&d=1503954621

Michael
08-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Owen (Spittybug) lives down there. Hope he is dry and safe.

DMC-81
08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the visuals. That helps.

Best wishes for all the DMCH team and anyone affected by this flooding. :(

Stay safe.

DMCMW Dave
08-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Based on FB information posted by James, DMCH appears to be something he referred to as "DeLorean Island". No water on the ground but you can't get to the building without driving through some standing water.

Michael
08-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Based on FB information posted by James, DMCH appears to be something he referred to as "DeLorean Island". No water on the ground but you can't get to the building without driving through some standing water.

Noah it seems, owns a DeLorean

OverlandMan
08-28-2017, 09:46 PM
I posted a similar thread this weekend. Thomas and a couple others replied there as well. Mods might want to merge these two threads. Stay safe

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15594-DMC-Houston-Operation

David T
08-28-2017, 10:48 PM
I don't know the neighborhood but the entire Houston area, Harris County especially, is being subjected to heavy rain and they will be releasing water from the dams to prevent over-topping. Any areas not yet flooded may yet get flooded and areas already flooded may get deeper. I hope all is well for DMCH as I am sure all of us do. In any case it will be days or weeks before that area is back to normal so I would not expect any customer support from them for a while. Once they do get back up and running it wouldn't hurt for everyone to place an order with them for some stuff to help them out. You also have to figure all of their employees have problems with their homes too. This is a catastrophe of Biblical proportions and it will take a while till some semblance of normality can return. Even if there is no damage there is no water, electric, mail, phones, etc and it will be that way for a while. Hard for a business to operate under those conditions. When my office in Hoboken, NJ got flooded during Hurricane Sandy we had nothing for 2 weeks. When it was restored it wasn't back to normal right away, it took months to get things all going again. I expect it will be like that in Texas. No court proceedings, no mail, no schools. They can't collect taxes, it's a mess. All of the gas stations get flooded and you get oil and gas floating around, the dirt gets washed up out of the sewers and all kinds of toxic stuff is left behind.

Nuclearbacon
08-28-2017, 11:42 PM
I totally called to correct an error I made on a part order. Didn't even put it together where they were geographically. Wishing them the best on DeLorean Island.

DrJeff
08-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Quick update... our home appears to be in the clear now, we're 500ft from Buffalo Bayou. It burst its bank on Sunday night and the water got to within 2in of the house and garage foundation top. Thankfully the bayou pulled back since they started the release from Barker reservoir. One neighbor flooded to about 18in. After prepping the house for flooding on Sunday afternoon, I got the garage ready, Delorean body up on the lift, but frame on the ground. Feeling very lucky to avoid flooding despite getting so close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

David T
08-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear you you are doing alright. I just heard form my cousin who lives in the Houston area and is currently on a vacation in Italy. In his words "The house is a goner". I have no idea what he is going to do or where he is going to go. His return ticket is for Houston but not if the airport is closed. And if he can get to the airport his car is probably flooded. Even if he gets car service or a taxi where the h-ll is he going to go anyway? What a disaster. If I were him I would try to get my ticket changed and go to a relative's house in another city till I could figure out what to do.

Citizen
08-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Quick update #2:

Looks like we made it also. Had made preparations for being stranded inside the house for a long time, and that paid off (it started raining very hard here Friday morning, and we still can't get out of the subdivision). But also, along about Sunday, we started making preparations inside the house for taking on water, like putting stuff up on furniture. Luckily no water got in, but it was a close one for sure. The garage got a little bit inside, but not from rising water. It was from driving rain under/around one of the garage doors. So the DeLo never got touched by a drop of water.

And now, the rains are mostly over. We are safe, and we are thankful to have been spared loss of life and property, and we are praying for our fellow Texans that aren't so lucky. When we can get out of here, we're determined to help out in some way, like donating labor, time, money or something, not sure yet. A BIG THANK YOU back to you all, the DeLorean community, that were pulling for us, sent out good wishes and more importantly prayed for us (yes, we believe prayer really does work).

Thomas

OverlandMan
08-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Quick update #2:

Looks like we made it also. Had made preparations for being stranded inside the house for a long time, and that paid off (it started raining very hard here Friday morning, and we still can't get out of the subdivision). But also, along about Sunday, we started making preparations inside the house for taking on water, like putting stuff up on furniture. Luckily no water got in, but it was a close one for sure. The garage got a little bit inside, but not from rising water. It was from driving rain under/around one of the garage doors. So the DeLo never got touched by a drop of water.

And now, the rains are mostly over. We are safe, and we are thankful to have been spared loss of life and property, and we are praying for our fellow Texans that aren't so lucky. When we can get out of here, we're determined to help out in some way, like donating labor, time, money or something, not sure yet. A BIG THANK YOU back to you all, the DeLorean community, that were pulling for us, sent out good wishes and more importantly prayed for us (yes, we believe prayer really does work).

Thomas

Great news Thomas!! Prayer does work! Have you heard from Shannon? Was wondering how he fared as well... I know some other forum members here are down there as well... hoping and praying they are alright too. I communicated with Sarah down at DMCH and she indicated the shop was OK but water was getting close to their house. I haven't heard anything since the weekend so hopefully they made it with little or no mess as well. I'm proud of all my Houston brothers and sisters. Let us know if we can do anything.

Rich
08-30-2017, 09:30 PM
DMCH customers may have received an update from DMC Houston today by email as I did. See text below. It was accompanied by a photo of their building, fully intact save for a bit of storm damage on their logo/sign in front, as explained.

Good to get this news and also get their thoughts for those around them. Appreciating this update from the Houston team.

Best wishes to all Houstonians and their Texas neighbors for a safe and speedy recovery. - Rich

HURRICANE HARVEY UPDATE

Most of the DMC (Texas) staff is back at work 8/30/2017. We will be answering our own phones and getting caught up while we clean up.

Other than a few roof leaks and part of our big sign blowing off, we had no significant damage to the facility, and no damage to cars in our possession or DeLorean parts inventory.

All staff are safe, but some are displaced as a result of flooding or storm damage.

Where to Donate to Harvey Victims

Many DeLorean owners and enthusiasts have reached out asking how they can help. If you're outside the affected areas, here are some options to consider:

The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund of Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, which is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.

Houston Food Bank and the Food Bank of Corpus Christi are asking for donations.

The South Texas Blood and Tissue Center is reporting a critical shortage, and has extended hours at all of its San Antonio-area donor rooms. To donate, call 210-731-5590 or visit their website for more information.

Carter BloodCare covers hospitals in North, Central and East Texas. To donate, call 877-571-1000 or text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999.

To help animals suffering from the disaster, visit the Houston Humane Society or the San Antonio Humane Society. The Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has set up an animal emergency response hotline (713-861-3010) and is accepting donations on its website.

During the unprecedented flooding of the last few days, a lot of what others have been saying about Houston has been wonderful — non-Houstonians coming to our aid, volunteering, donating, and supporting us. And we Houstonians are grateful for all of it.

Here's an article from our local NPR station "Five Things Non-Houstonians Need To Understand About Harvey Flooding"...