PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil preaaure sending unit

DMC3165
09-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I've been using my D as a daily driver for the past 2 months now. Shortly before that I was having an oil pres (gauge) issue. I purchased a new sending unit from a vendor and after I put it in read worse. After performing all the checks to make sure the motor was ok, we were convinced it was some kind of electrical problem and even went as far as replacing the gauges in the binnacle with nos parts. It seemed ok for a little while. But about a month ago it started reading low oil pres again. So low I thought now I was really having a problem. After performing all the checks again it turns out it was the gauge again. But everything was new. I even ran a jumper wire from the sending unit to the bulkhead connector to see if that helped and nothing. So on a whim I went to pep boys and found the Borg warner s-769 sending unit was available and fairly cheap (under $20). After installing it the oil pres reads right where it used to (60 psi) all day long. So I thought this might serve as a cautionary tale for anyone that has a similar issue.

David T
09-09-2011, 10:06 AM
My guess is you have a bad connection in the binnacle on the flexible PCB to the gauge.
David Teitelbaum

DMC3165
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
My guess is you have a bad connection in the binnacle on the flexible PCB to the gauge.
David Teitelbaum

Actually the problem was the original sending unit went bad, but the vendor unit was faulty from the start. Replacing it with a Borg warner unit solved the problem. It's what I should've done originally instead of going on a wild goose Chase. My fuel/oil gauge is now in another car and reading perfectly.