PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future The Ride Jacket - Universal Studios Hollywood.

Chris 16409
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I just got this jacket off a guy I met at a local car show in town. He worked for BMW for 30 years and is into cars. He has a red 1984 Porsche Carrera Turbo Look that he brings to this weekly shopping center car show. One night he brought this jacket to show me. He bought it at Universal Studios when the Back to the Future The Ride was still in operation. I've never see one of these before, but it seems to be based off of the jackets the ride crew wore. Anyone else come across one of these before?

TTait
09-10-2011, 01:03 AM
A number of jackets were produced for the public and sold in gift shops, but its rather rare to see them. Lots of tee shirts too. I have a few articles produced by the marketing department as samples that they decided not to reproduce.

There were two jacket styles made for cast and crew only - The Florida Team Jacket is red with white sleeves. It will have a '91 logo embroidered on the sleeve and will have a name on the front. The Hollywood jacket is dark blue with tan sleeves, with a '93 embroidered on the sleeve, and some with both '91 and '93 for those of us who worked on both. They have an Institute of Future Technology logo on one breast and your name on the other. All of these jackets were made for specific individuals, no spares were made. After we opened in Hollywood I still had the jackets for Leah Thompson and Robert Zemekis. Could never get a hold of Leah and eventually gave that jacket to a friend, and it was only last November when I gave the Zemekis jacket to Bob Gale, who delivered it for me.

I have some goodies including a full set of blueprints for the ride and one of the Imax 70mm film prints. I just found out today that when they ripped out the ride and rebuilt it as Simpsons they didn't have any use for the pair of Million dollar each Imax projectors, so they took sledge hammers to them and sold them as metal scrap...

Other artifacts from my days at universal include a set of blueprints for the Jurrasic Park visitors center set, and I also have an original cylon head too...

dvonk
09-10-2011, 01:14 AM
...they didn't have any use for the pair of Million dollar each Imax projectors, so they took sledge hammers to them and sold them as metal scrap.

ugh. it makes me sick how 'disposable' our society is. :dead:

i have a bunch of interesting and/or useful things in my house that have been salvaged from dumpsters...

Chris 16409
09-10-2011, 01:19 AM
I wonder what these sold for originally? I talked to Steven Clark about it and he didn't seem to have info about these jackets.