PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean GO Alternator

mluder
09-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the DeLoreanGo.com alternator?
Iv'e been through 2 of the DMC Houston ones in the last 6 years. My current one just doesn't seem to be keeping up when I have the AC and headlights on. Thinking of trying something different.

Cheers
Steve

Alex Brooks
09-20-2017, 11:42 PM
I was just eyeballing that one too my alternator starting making a lot of noise today so I'm out of commission until I get it replaced. I got a call in to Toby for one but he does not have any in stock.

After going over everything on my car I can't find any info on when the Alternator was replaced.

DeLoreanGo Arran
09-21-2017, 06:29 AM
A lot of us "over here" use both the current one, or the same type, it's quite a popular unit over here. Physically slightly bigger looking than the traditional US/Malaysian types and a good solid output. I was just talking to a guy this morning in the UK who uses his car as a daily driver and has put several thousand miles on his and loves it..

Bitsyncmaster
09-21-2017, 07:06 AM
I think what is hard on the alternators is cars that sit a long time and the battery discharges. Then when you start the car the alternator has to charge the battery along with the normal car load of about 60 amps (fans and lights on).

If your have a daily driver, battery disconnect or have reduced the battery drain your alternator has less work to do.

BladeBronson
09-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Is there an existing mod to cut the battery power, but maybe have an additional small battery to keep the ASI clock accurate? It would drive me nuts to either set the clock every time I drive or deal with it being wrong.

Bitsyncmaster
09-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Is there an existing mod to cut the battery power, but maybe have an additional small battery to keep the ASI clock accurate? It would drive me nuts to either set the clock every time I drive or deal with it being wrong.

You can run a new wire before a battery cut off switch to keep some things powered. The OEM clock draws about 5 ma. The OEM lock unit draws about 12 ma. Don't know what the ASI clock draws.

NckT
09-21-2017, 03:57 PM
You can rework the central locking unit so the parasitic current is only 1.2mA too.

Bitsyncmaster
09-21-2017, 04:23 PM
You can rework the central locking unit so the parasitic current is only 1.2mA too.

And I had a fix for the OEM clock which cut the current.

NckT
09-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Nice !

Andrew
09-21-2017, 05:31 PM
I've been running a Saturn alternator on 5052 since 2015. IIRC the alternator cost $60 and the plug was another $15. The only modifications were a GM plug swap and drilling out the large bolt hole to utilize the stock DeLorean bolt. It keeps up with the amperage draw of the stock cooling fans.

Bitsyncmaster
09-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Nice !

I had a thread on the old DMCtalk.com showing the fix for the clock current. But now that thread is gone and I have sold my OEM clock. I remember it just spliced a resistor in one of the clock wires going to the round connector. If anyone has the wire color and resistor value please post it for other owners to use.