PDA

View Full Version : Fitting driveshafts - couple of questions

Andy_
10-11-2017, 11:04 AM
My car failed the inspection, driveshaft boots pretty much destroyed drivers side.
I got new ones today. Pulled the shaft, ready to fix.
I remember reading somewhere that the shaft can lock if you don’t reinstall it correctly.
I did marks to orientate it but they have rubbed off.
If the shims/ double washers were originally between bolts 1-2,3-4,5-6, would it matter if I now have them between 2-3, 4-5,6-1 ?
Hope that makes sense :umm:

Thanks
Andy

dn010
10-11-2017, 11:07 AM
These are CV joints that should rotate freely at an angle, I've not heard of the axles "locking" nor have I ever marked mine to reinstall as they came off. As long as they're bolted down tight, it shouldn't matter what sequence the holes have or had the washer.

FABombjoy
10-11-2017, 11:15 AM
The only "locking" concern would be if you strip the joint down to clean and regrease the bearings, races, etc.

There are two ways that a disassembled CV joint will go back together
-The super easy way
-The "this feels like a Cracker Barrel gift shop logic puzzle" way

If you reassembled the parts the easy way, the joint will not operate correctly :D

Andy_
10-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys for the fast response.
I'm happy now!
I really didn't want to refit it, only to find I need to do it all again.

Happy days

DMC-81
10-11-2017, 01:36 PM
If you end up rebuilding the axles in addition to replacing the boots, there is a step by step in this thread, beginning with post 23 and 27.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14544-5-Speed-gearbox-flaw-repair/page3

As mentioned, the locking up problem is when you don't get the inner and outer races of the joint oriented properly.

Good luck!