PDA

View Full Version : General New (OEM Style) Seat Cover Opinions & Options

sdg3205
09-11-2011, 02:35 PM
3205's leathers are getting preeeeeeeeettttyyyy grim.

I had the chance to see new seat covers freshly installed on a car at DMC NW back in June. I was pretty impressed. I didn't ask to sit on them though as it wasn't my car and I thought John was being pretty great just letting me man handle them.

Being up in BC, I don't have the same type of community (read: no community) that a lot of you have down in the states. Some of you have probably seen and felt new seat covers from different vendors within seconds of each other which would really help me out.

Which seat covers do you have? Does the texture or leather smell differ at all between vendors? Which look the most authentic? Least authentic?

Any pictures would be great.

robvanderveer
09-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Any pictures would be great.
(I see lumbergh in my mind now)
No seriously, i want to see pictures as well

louielouie2000
09-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Over the years I've seen a variety of seat cover replacements from various vendors & one-off replacements fabricated by upholstery shops. I think the only one who has gotten it right is the DMC-Texas franchise. They are the only vendors who included the ripple look the seat covers exhibited when the cars were brand new. Over the years the leather shrinks & the ripple look is lost. DMC-Texas didn't get the color or texture of the leather 100% right, but they are light years closer than any other replacements I've seen. The DMC-Texas seat covers are the only ones I'd ever put in a DeLorean I own.

robvanderveer
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
As a matter of preference, i am not too fond of the ripple look. I am looking for a replacement finish that looks like my seats are they are now, minus the cracks and tears.

Soundkillr
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
As a matter of preference, i am not too fond of the ripple look. I am looking for a replacement finish that looks like my seats are they are now, minus the cracks and tears.

I got the houston covers, installed them myself and love them. Check my profile for plenty of pics. Btw the rippled look is how all the seats looked new. Over the years the seats draw in and get tight, loosing the ripples. I love the gathered leather in the center...
Color is almost exact, as is materials on the side and centers...

Ron
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
What he said ^

sean
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I got the houston covers, installed them myself and love them. Check my profile for plenty of pics. Btw the rippled look is how all the seats looked new. Over the years the seats draw in and get tight, loosing the ripples. I love the gathered leather in the center...
Color is almost exact, as is materials on the side and centers...

I've seen Ben's in person and they look GREAT!

content22207
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Houston does not do seat covers in custom colors. Eventually I am going to have a DeLorean with a burgundy interior, which will likely be done through John Hervey.

Bill Robertson

DMCNY
09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I also have the DMCH seat covers in my car and I love them. Very comfortable and well constructed material. There is also pics in my profile.

Masaes727
09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I also have the DMCH seat covers in my car and I love them. Very comfortable and well constructed material.

:thumbup:

robvanderveer
10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I remember on another forum there was a great tutorial on how to replace the covers, but I cannot find it any more. Does anybody have a link?

jfirios
10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
anyone think or put on cloth seat covers?

natesky
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sure people have.. Did they "think" about it? Nope, clearly not.

;)

-Nathan

john 05141
10-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I saw cloth seat covers at a DCS show. It does not fit this car, believe me! I think I have a picture somewhere.

My seats were recoverd locally in Belgium. But I do like the ones DMC sells also.

John

mac
03-03-2012, 03:14 AM
I remember on another forum there was a great tutorial on how to replace the covers, but I cannot find it any more. Does anybody have a link?

Hi, I am also looking for this tutorial. I saw it some time ago, saved it but couldn't find it anymore :hmm: Thanks :blush:

pezzonovante88
03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I saw cloth seat covers at a DCS show. It does not fit this car, believe me! I think I have a picture somewhere.

My seats were recoverd locally in Belgium. But I do like the ones DMC sells also.

John

Those look really good. I have the DMCH ones and they're nice, but the leather isn't tight like it should be where the seat-back meets the headrest. The grain is also not the "fine" extra smooth, delicate grain like the original - its more of a tough grain. It's nice but I yearn for exact copies of the originals.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Those look really good. I have the DMCH ones and they're nice, but the leather isn't tight like it should be where the seat-back meets the headrest. The grain is also not the "fine" extra smooth, delicate grain like the original - its more of a tough grain. It's nice but I yearn for exact copies of the originals.

You're right the grain is close though. However you can get the headrest tight on the seat. Its all in how its installed. It helps to put a little padding in the "rib" between the headrest and the seat. You can also use heat to pull the seat skin tight on the side near the headrest

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3689&d=1313459799

Here you can barely see the loose area, but this was before I reheated it. Not visible any more.

jawn101
03-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Was the seat material originally taut like John's or rippled like Soundkillr's? Mine is original and is taut on the cushions. I always thought it was originally rippled and had just shrunk up over the years. The material itself is in well maintained condition (the flash was very harsh in this picture, those aren't cracks or scratches in the driver's side)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8735&d=1330792024

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
When the car was new all the seats were gathered leather or rippled in the center. Over the years they can draw in and get tight.

jawn101
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
When the car was new all the seats were gathered leather or rippled in the center. Over the years they can draw in and get tight.

Ah, OK. Thanks then :) Eventually these covers will give out and it will be upgrade time.

One other (possibly unrelated?) question - the rubber panel on the bottom of the cushion that provides upward tension: can it be replaced without recovering the whole seat? Both of my rubber panels are split and I think replacing them would increase the longevity of the seat covers. But, if the covers have to be removed to replace them, it's a catch-22.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
They can be replaced without removing the skins. I cant remember the repair solution from home depot, but maybe someone can chime in with how they fixed theirs

DMCMW Dave
03-03-2012, 12:14 PM
One other (possibly unrelated?) question - the rubber panel on the bottom of the cushion that provides upward tension: can it be replaced without recovering the whole seat? Both of my rubber panels are split and I think replacing them would increase the longevity of the seat covers. But, if the covers have to be removed to replace them, it's a catch-22.

You won't believe how much difference in comfort fixing that bottom membrane will make.

jawn101
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
You won't believe how much difference in comfort fixing that bottom membrane will make.

OK, you sold me :) So what should I get/do? Those not-quite-fir-tree bits on the bottom are largely snapped off (4 per side with I think 1 remaining on each seat) and the rubber membrane is completely toast. I don't see either of those two parts on the diagrams, are they source-able from you guys? An upholstery shop?

Cory W
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
OK, you sold me :) So what should I get/do? Those not-quite-fir-tree bits on the bottom are largely snapped off (4 per side with I think 1 remaining on each seat) and the rubber membrane is completely toast. I don't see either of those two parts on the diagrams, are they source-able from you guys? An upholstery shop?

The great how-to I've used to recover seats recommends zip ties and large washers. Hole diameter is important. you can find it here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1823-How-to-Reskin-Reupholster-your-Leather-Seats).

denis45700
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Why does everyone say the seats had ripples originally? I do not believe that to be accurate. The seat do not shrink that much over time and the original pictures from the factory do not have ripples.
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/mike45700_0/Delorean/b06a1d62.jpg

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Look in your owners manual, in several pics you can clearly see the ripples. Look at a really nice concourse car and you will see the same thing. The ripples are definitely how they looked new.

dmc6960
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
That pic with JZD looks like it has seen its fair share of miles by the time that pic was taken. It doesn't have NCTs!

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
That pic with JZD looks like it has seen its fair share of miles by the time that pic was taken. It doesn't have NCTs!

Not only that but with the quality of the pic you cant see the wrinkles around johns eyes let alone theseats, but that doesnt mean they arent there. I assure you they are. :)

pezzonovante88
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Why does everyone say the seats had ripples originally? I do not believe that to be accurate. The seat do not shrink that much over time and the original pictures from the factory do not have ripples.
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/mike45700_0/Delorean/b06a1d62.jpg

I think they were rippled, but the ripples were far "finer" and not nearly as noticeable. You can see them in the picture. The DMCH ones will not shrink nearly enough to have the "tight" look we're so used to seeing.
Here's a link showing what I mean (man, I wish I had those seats!):

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/575790-went-to-a-local-car-show-today.html

http://www.gullwingmagazine.com/ConcoursInterior.jpg

denis45700
03-03-2012, 01:24 PM
The picture was clearly taken less then a few years after the car was built. Where are the ripples or do the seats shrink inside a couple of years? Look at any picture of the car in the early eighties. One of my cars was from the original owner. The car was kept in a climate controlled environment and is 100% original soft leather and no ripples.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
The picture was clearly taken less then a few years after the car was built. Where are the ripples or do the seats shrink inside a couple of years? Look at any picture of the car in the early eighties. One of my cars was from the original owner. The car was kept in a climate controlled environment and is 100% original soft leather and no ripples.

The seats can and will shrink. Not trying to argue with you. Look in your owners manual. You will see the seats with ripples in the center. No matter how original your car, if the seats are smooth in the center, they have drawn in. Ill say it again, brand new from the factory these cars had gathered leather in the center of the seats.

I wanted to add, I bought my car in 97, and it to was stored in doors. Completely original car, and the seats were still rippled. In fact, I replaced my covers because the drivers side was drawn in and the passenger side was still rippled. Bugged me to no end. I also requested the most rippled set houston had. Now if I got them or not I will never know. :)

denis45700
03-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Simple solution. Any pictures from the factory of the cars with huge ripples will change my mind. I highly doubt you will find any though. The pictures in the owner manual are ridiculous. The huge rippled seat covers to me would be more custom and not original. Just my opinion. Most of these Concours Deloreans are not 100% original as they should be and a lot of them are produced at DMC Houston.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Simple solution. Any pictures from the factory of the cars with huge ripples will change my mind. I highly doubt you will find any though. The pictures in the owner manual are ridiculous. The huge rippled seat covers to me would be more custom and not original. Just my opinion. Most of these Concours Deloreans are not 100% original as they should be and a lot of them are produced at DMC Houston.

Even more simple solution: call houston and ask them. Im not going to the trouble to scan my brochures or original high resolution pics to prove what you can see in your owners manual. Most pics from the 80s are scans of low resolution 35mm film that barely shows items like a gas door, let alone wrinkles in a seat. Its like trying to prove early cars had textured pontoons by looking at factory photos. Its just something you will not see unless it is a very high res pic, or close up shot of that area.

denis45700
03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Why would I call DMCH. The car was produced out of northern Ireland. DMCH make the rippled seat covers what is your point. The pictures of your seats look comfortable but are not correct. On page 23 in the owners manual you keep bring up the seat in fig 16 look nothing like yours. Just my opinion looks like you are stuck on yours though. :giggle:

thirdmanj
03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I had the seats recovered in 1258 when she was down in FL a couple years back. They still look and feel fantastic.

Mike C.
03-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I also have the DMCH seat covers in my car and I love them. Very comfortable and well constructed material. There is also pics in my profile.

Agree!!

How about this, based on the vendors CURRENTLY SELLING replacement seat covers for the DeLorean, and based on the OP's question on which ones look the BEST,

Another vote for Houston's. Have them in mine. Well worth it, ripples, no ripples, nipples or no nipples.

SoCalDMC12
03-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Why would I call DMCH. The car was produced out of northern Ireland. DMCH make the rippled seat covers what is your point. The pictures of your seats look comfortable but are not correct. On page 23 in the owners manual you keep bring up the seat in fig 16 look nothing like yours. Just my opinion looks like you are stuck on yours though. :giggle:

I've got a set of NOS seat covers in my closet that are rippled. Also, the sales brochure includes a small picture that shows a bit of the driver's seat back –*which is rippled.

DMCH James
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Not true. We will make the seat covers in any color that our supplier has available. BUT the correct grain vinyl that we had made for use on the sides/back is only available in gray/black. If you want a custom color, you have to settle for the supplier's standard grain vinyl - or you go pay extra and go all leather.

The lead time can be quite long - we don't order onesie/twosie seat cover sets - we typically order 200 car sets (400 seats worth) or so at a time. PM or email me if interested in more details.

James

Houston does not do seat covers in custom colors. Eventually I am going to have a DeLorean with a burgundy interior, which will likely be done through John Hervey.

Bill Robertson

DMCH James
03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
We still have some NOS seats with leather. Come Monday upon my return to the office, I'll drag some out and take some pics. The ripples are definitely more pronounced on the new sets that we have made than the originals were, but the leather is "heavier" weight (for better durability and wear) so the "finer" ripples can't be replicated exactly.

We were told by Bridge of Weir years ago when we first had seat covers made (early 2000s) that the grain/colors of the original was only available as "furniture grade" and not "automotive grade" and would not be recommended for use in the car. From that point, we looked for other suppliers and got the compromise with which most people seem happy.

The vinyl was made by ICI (ever see the ICI logo on the back of any of the vinyl pieces?) and no longer available. We paid to have a tool made to get the grain just like the samples we had in the warehouse. We also use it on the a-pillars, b-pillars, seatbacks, and console recover kits. The "crinkle" pattern on the kneepads, doorpanels and console sides has not yet been reproduced.

James

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Because dmch sees more concourse cars than you ever will. Never once did I state my seats were a perfect match, I just stated you are wrong stating the seats are not gathered in the center. Read further posts and you will see I was right. Btw I am quite sure the seats I am "stuck with" are way nicer than your dried leather.

denis45700
03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow a little pissy I happen to own four very nice Deloreans. Two original one twin turbo and one turbo. Do not talk to me about what I will see or not. Read James coment about the ripples. I am not here to have a pissing match.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Wow a little pissy I happen to own four very nice Deloreans. Two original one twin turbo and one turbo. Do not talk to me about what I will see or not. Read James coment about the ripples. I am not here to have a pissing match.

Classy. If you remember I told you in one of my first posts, I wasnt trying to argue. However, I did point out that originally the seats are gathered. Like it or not, thats the way it is. James comment backs up what I originally stated, that they did have ripples. You turned it into me stating the houston covers were spot on, which I never said.
Btw I dont carr if you have ten deloreans, you wont see more than houston. That was the point of that statement. If you really want to argue with me lets take it to pm, and spare everyone from this.

SoCalDMC12
03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Yikes. Well, I happened to have this readily available, so I thought I'd post it. This is from "Car Styling Quarterly", Oct. 1981 (a trade publication for automobile designers). The images show the ripples that various people have referenced. A subtle, but nice effect (in my opinion).

denis45700
03-03-2012, 10:13 PM
(The seats can and will shrink. Not trying to argue with you. Look in your owners manual. You will see the seats with ripples in the center. No matter how original your car, if the seats are smooth in the center, they have drawn in. Ill say it again, brand new from the factory these cars had gathered leather in the center of the seats.

I wanted to add, I bought my car in 97, and it to was stored in doors. Completely original car, and the seats were still rippled. In fact, I replaced my covers because the drivers side was drawn in and the passenger side was still rippled. Bugged me to no end. I also requested the most rippled set houston had. Now if I got them or not I will never know. )

Really you are not trying to argue every time I post you have to respond. Yet you could have pm me anytime. As I have stated original seats to me do not have ripples. Or as on your car ruffled. Anyway just my opinion. Pm me if you want.

Soundkillr
03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Think what you want, thats fine with me. It is however my intention to point out the original design of the seat. Some people think smooth is original, and thats simply not the case. I bring this up for possible future searches, and general reference of what was original. If anything people can now see some pretty cool pics of how the seats looked brand new, and thanks to those who contributed links and images. James, I look forward to seeing your set of original leathers when you get some time.

jawn101
03-03-2012, 10:29 PM
The great how-to I've used to recover seats recommends zip ties and large washers. Hole diameter is important. you can find it here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1823-How-to-Reskin-Reupholster-your-Leather-Seats).

I'm gonna break up the above love-fest by saying to Cory - thanks very much for the link. I read it through and it does provide details on how to re-fasten the lower membrane to the cushion using zip ties and washers, but doesn't address what to do if the membrane is unusable :(

I also hope to avoid removing the skins if at all possible to do the repair, but the photos and techniques provided definitely give a lot of useful insight into how the seat is assembled and should help me do the job right.

Now the problem is finding a replacement for that ripped rubber part.

denis45700
03-03-2012, 10:57 PM
The only pictures I see that look factory are Socaldmc12. Anway it is what it is.:thumbup:

dvonk
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Cory - thanks very much for the link. I read it through [...] but doesn't address what to do if the membrane is unusable :(

[...]Now the problem is finding a replacement for that ripped rubber part.

there was a thread with some creative solutions (e.g., webbing straps, etc.), but i believe it was on the old forum. unfortunately i do not recall who had contributed to the thread, but perhaps they will comment.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-03-2012, 11:56 PM

A little off topic but 4 DeLoreans?! Man am I jealous. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I might need another one in a few years. I am glad I am not the only crazy one.

denis45700
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks! By the way my wife thinks I am insane so don't feel bad, what's one more any way?:)

Blackie
03-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Anyone got good quality pics of the DMCH covers in black?

Thanks

Soundkillr
03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
http://www.gullwingmagazine.com/ConcoursInterior.jpg

This was another great image of a concours all original car.

Btw im sure houston has some pics of the seats in black, or at least they did. I know a few owners on here who have covers in black. Hopefully they will chime in.

denis45700
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Here is a picture of Hustons black seat covers off there website. They are very nice if installed correctly.
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/mike45700_0/Delorean/e3293776.jpg

DeloreanJoshQ
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Here are some photos of black seat covers I just installed on my seats and in my car the past two days...I have 10-11 hours of labor in them as they were my first experience reupholstering seats...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431622_10151353783440696_671145695_23135553_514405 798_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424427_10151356966640696_671145695_23147190_129208 0030_n.jpg

They are really good quality IMO. However, I wish they were darker; they look black out of the box, but are more of a darker grey in comparison to my black interior pieces.
When I wet them with cleaner after installing them, they looked black.

They make a big difference in the driving experience; suprising what covers can do for ride quality as thin as they are!

P.S. I wish they included more hog rings with the seat covers; I'm sure I used more than needed, but it would be nice to have the extra amount....

Josh Q

Jimmyvonviggle
03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Josh those seats look good. I always wondered something about re upholstering seats. You change out the skins but the seat itself, or the foam and padding is still 30 yrs old. Does anyone ever address this? My seats seem awfully hard and I don't know if just a skin swap will do.

Cory W
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm gonna break up the above love-fest by saying to Cory - thanks very much for the link. I read it through and it does provide details on how to re-fasten the lower membrane to the cushion using zip ties and washers, but doesn't address what to do if the membrane is unusable :(

I also hope to avoid removing the skins if at all possible to do the repair, but the photos and techniques provided definitely give a lot of useful insight into how the seat is assembled and should help me do the job right.

Now the problem is finding a replacement for that ripped rubber part.

The old site had a creative solution, which I managed to find and have posted here. Since it came from another site, I am not certain who did this or posted it, but credit where due to them for their effort.

Josh those seats look good. I always wondered something about re upholstering seats. You change out the skins but the seat itself, or the foam and padding is still 30 yrs old. Does anyone ever address this? My seats seem awfully hard and I don't know if just a skin swap will do.

I have done seats for another owner over the winter, and they do feel much better. Less surface tension, so you don't feel like you're sitting "over" the seat. My seats are next, and I have a few people interested in getting theirs done too. The more seats you do, the more comfortable you are with the process and the less time it takes.

It's also cheap insurance if you also choose to do the seat bottom membrane enhancement as depicted in this post. It certainly bolsters the seat so you'll never bottom it out.

jawn101
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
The old site had a creative solution

That is creative. I wonder if those metal strips are an off the shelf bit or if some fab is needed. That's exactly what my rubber membrane looks like, split in the same spot and even in the same shape. Must be a weak point in the design for some reason. I will give this a try, it certainly looks easy and inexpensive enough. Just need to take some measurements and it's off to Ace.

DeloreanJoshQ
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Both the foam and membranes on my seats are in great shape; usually if they visually look ok it's the covers that will make a big difference in comfort...

David T
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
The color is more of a charcoal than a dark black. You can always die them darker to suit your personal taste. Leatherique.com sells all colors of leather die. At the very least buy the rejuvinator and the cleaner to keep your leather in good condition. To do the seats I use a "trick". Leave the leather out in the sun before you try to stretch it on. When it gets good and hot it will stretch a little more easily. Hard to do in the wintertime. Also I like the "better" hog ring pliers. The cheap ones are hard to use. If you are going to die the seatcovers you will also need some vinyl die for the sides (only the seating surfaces are leather). Don't forget to do the shift boot, the door pulls, and the steering wheel so it all matches.
David Teitelbaum

sdg3205
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Just curious, does anyone have a picture of the 2-tone seats in the stock, early grey interior?

sdg3205
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I saw some 2 tone leathers in a car down at DMCNW last week. The leather felt a little different (a bit softer/supple). Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just making stuff up? It could have just been the wear.

kajcienski
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I thought I would chime in on an earlier discussion in this thread about the seat ripples/leather. Here are pictured sets of my NOS covers where you can clearly see nice, even ripples. This might sound crazy, but the rippling in the gray and black sets differs slightly on these sets. These were (I am told) purchased at the same time back in the early 80's, same source, and stored exactly the same over the last 30 years (I am not sure when in production these were made but would assume very late). They are soft, supple, and in absolutely beautiful shape. The gray sets seem to have less pronounced "flatter" ripples. The black have more pronounced "extreme" ripples (you can see this in the picture). In a personal observation, I have noticed that Ds with original gray covers and average wear tend to look tight and in some cases, do not have noticeable ripples at all. Whereas the black seats I have seen tend to keep their ripples better. Anyone else? This could TOTALLY be a nonsensical statement (and probably is), but is what I have observed. There is no reason they would produce them differently. I am told they used a different leather on the earlier black seats so perhaps the sets I have were simply from different leather batches as they look/feel slightly different. Referencing another comment in this thread, the NOS black sets have such a nice, deep black color compared to the DMCH sets that are more "charcoal". The NOS also have a really nice natural "sheen" and feel to them that better matches the rest of the car I think. DMCH did a great job with the repros and cost balance, but there is nothing like that good original stock leather! Also, The stitching on the black NOS sets is black - The stitching on the gray NOS sets is light gray. I would be curious to know what vins have the white stitching mentioned earlier in this thread...?

Soundkillr
10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Well whadya know.....I was right :rolleyes1:

I thought I would chime in on an earlier discussion in this thread about the seat ripples/leather. Here are pictured sets of my NOS covers where you can clearly see nice, even ripples. This might sound crazy, but the rippling in the gray and black sets differs slightly on these sets. These were (I am told) purchased at the same time back in the early 80's, same source, and stored exactly the same over the last 30 years (I am not sure when in production these were made but would assume very late). They are soft, supple, and in absolutely beautiful shape. The gray sets seem to have less pronounced "flatter" ripples. The black have more pronounced "extreme" ripples (you can see this in the picture). In a personal observation, I have noticed that Ds with original gray covers and average wear tend to look tight and in some cases, do not have noticeable ripples at all. Whereas the black seats I have seen tend to keep their ripples better. Anyone else? This could TOTALLY be a nonsensical statement (and probably is), but is what I have observed. There is no reason they would produce them differently. I am told they used a different leather on the earlier black seats so perhaps the sets I have were simply from different leather batches as they look/feel slightly different. Referencing another comment in this thread, the NOS black sets have such a nice, deep black color compared to the DMCH sets that are more "charcoal". The NOS also have a really nice natural "sheen" and feel to them that better matches the rest of the car I think. DMCH did a great job with the repros and cost balance, but there is nothing like that good original stock leather! Also, The stitching on the black NOS sets is black - The stitching on the gray NOS sets is light gray. I would be curious to know what vins have the white stitching mentioned earlier in this thread...?

pezzonovante88
10-03-2012, 06:24 PM

I knew it. And I really want those seat covers.

Iznodmad
10-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a preference for the original skins too. Those look great. I didn't know there were any for sale recently. Apparently I missed a chance at some. Dang.

kajcienski
10-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I might be putting up a few NOS seat sets for sale but have promised most of them to people already. I will have a few left so would probably be open to offers through PM.

GS450-Junkie
10-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Can someone please post a close-up picture of the neck areas highlighted below on the new seat covers once installed? Mine seem loose like a turkey neck...and by the looks of this picture maybe they all look like that. I'm just used to the old seat covers that were really really tight in that area.

pezzonovante88
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
They should be tight and it's something that bothers me about my car, too. I don't know how to get it right, though.

Soundkillr
10-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Using a hair dryer, or heat gun on install, will help with the neck area. Once installed you can heat the area and use a wood dowel or (if you're brave) your finger to gently push the area in once hot, and allow to cool. That will help draw the area in. Mine are just like stock after install. I'll try and dig up some recent pics. Try and stretch the area when hot and see if you get the desired results.

Soundkillr
10-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't look at your pic. I thought you were referring to the bulge on the Side of the head rest. For your issue per the image: On mine I actually added more padding to that area of the rib, and drew it in very very tight with zip ties. That helped a lot.