PDA

View Full Version : DMCH Headlight Switch Questions.

DMCVegas
10-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Digging through everything, I've come across my replacement headlight switch I got from DMCH. I have the switch and logic box, but no instructions or anything else. I'll have to keep digging to try and find them, or just contact DMCH to see if I can get a replacement set of installation instructions.

In the mean time, while searching the threads I have seen occasional complaints about the headlights randomly turning off with these replacement units. Was there an updated version of this switch that came out later on that I should know about? Or is it a simple modification?

DMCMW Dave
10-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Digging through everything, I've come across my replacement headlight switch I got from DMCH. I have the switch and logic box, but no instructions or anything else. I'll have to keep digging to try and find them, or just contact DMCH to see if I can get a replacement set of installation instructions.

In the mean time, while searching the threads I have seen occasional complaints about the headlights randomly turning off with these replacement units. Was there an updated version of this switch that came out later on that I should know about? Or is it a simple modification?

The very early versions had a connection that you could optionally make so that the lights would turn off with the ignition. This feature proved to cause a problem and was eliminated from later versions. If you have the early one, just leave that wire disconnected.

Bitsyncmaster
10-30-2017, 05:24 AM
The very early versions had a connection that you could optionally make so that the lights would turn off with the ignition. This feature proved to cause a problem and was eliminated from later versions. If you have the early one, just leave that wire disconnected.

I wonder if that AC compressor glitch caused that problem on the few cars. Of course because of liability you can't use that function.

Ron
10-30-2017, 02:44 PM
I wonder if that AC compressor glitch caused that problem on the few cars. Of course because of liability you can't use that function.
I had a very early version, probably 1st. It had the auto off/delay. I received a notice from Warren iirc about them suddenly going off and to follow included instructions to disable the function. Long story short, we found fluctuations in the power supplied seemed to be causing it. Giving it its own ground and power supply (through a rely from battery) seemed to solve the problem. So, that sounds right. I know kicking on a stereo amplifier would do it.

Robert,
If you think you have the same version and/or don't have any luck, PM me. I ask the new owner if he has the docs tonight (I think so).
If not I'll try to dig them up.

DMCVegas
10-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Which wire would that be? Likewise, do you have a copy of the instructions and schematics that I can use? If it is really needed, do you also have the black connector on it's own if I cannot find it? I know I have two kits, but I also have ANOTHER bunch of boxes/crates of stuff at another location I have to locate and go through.

I had a very early version, probably 1st. It had the auto off/delay. I received a notice from Warren iirc about them suddenly going off and to follow included instructions to disable the function. Long story short, we found fluctuations in the power supplied seemed to be causing it. Giving it its own ground and power supply (through a rely from battery) seemed to solve the problem. So, that sounds right. I know kicking on a stereo amplifier would do it.

Robert,
If you think you have the same version and/or don't have any luck, PM me. I ask the new owner if he has the docs tonight (I think so).
If not I'll try to dig them up.

Oh yes, I know for a fact it's an early version. First batch shipped.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060110201758/http://www.delorean.com:80/headlightswitch.asp

Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed? Also, how the hell is it powered to enable this function? Is it through the console lights feed acting as a trigger? Because I purposefully disabled the daytime function on my car to keep the A/C panel cool.

Ron
10-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, I know for a fact it's an early version. First batch shipped.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060110201758/http://www.delorean.com:80/headlightswitch.asp

Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed? Also, how the hell is it powered to enable this function? Is it through the console lights feed acting as a trigger? No, like Dave said...iirc, the key had to be in the ignition switch, and it turned on. If you had the headlights on and turned off the switch, the headlights would stay on for ~1/2 minute.

dmcjohn
10-31-2017, 07:56 AM
There was also an issue with a 5A fuse included with the kit being undersized if I remember correctly - should be replaced with a 20A?

Ron
10-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed?

No, like Dave said...iirc, the key had to be in the ignition switch, and it turned on. If you had the headlights on and turned off the switch, the headlights would stay on for ~1/2 minute.

I guess you got it but just in case- I just noticed my reply was probably confusing.
I should of said "Yes (there is only one),...."
...had a brain fart and let "additional" throw me off lol

Also: My guy retreated to SC to avoid the cold snap we had (26F@night)....back this weekend. But, it seems the other wires would be the same as later versions (not sure)...maybe ask "The other Dave" ;-)

Edit: Removed misidentified wire info.

Chris 16409
10-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Which wire would that be? Likewise, do you have a copy of the instructions and schematics that I can use? If it is really needed, do you also have the black connector on it's own if I cannot find it? I know I have two kits, but I also have ANOTHER bunch of boxes/crates of stuff at another location I have to locate and go through.

The wire for the auto-off was an orange wire. I had two units that had the orange wire. I just clipped it off and set it aside. I also have a 20 amp inline-fuse.

Ron
11-01-2017, 01:04 AM
New Headlight Switch Instructions U/L in Resources (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40-All-Wiring-Schematics&p=227436&viewfull=1#post227436)

DMCVegas
11-02-2017, 03:29 AM
Thanks, Ron! That definitely helps!

Looking at the unit I have, it is one of the originals. It was also equipped with a 20 amp fuse.

Now I still have to start tearing my car apart, as well as checking some other boxes at another location for additional DeLorean parts that I have. Including my second switch. But I do not have the black female connector or sockets to graft the switch module assembly into the harness. After searching Google, it looks like a 12 gauge Delphi/GM/Packard 56 type connector. The 6-pin connector looks exactly like the one from the instruction sheet, down to the colors. So I believe that I've found a replacement for what I need. So I'll probably have to hit up eBay for a replacement.

I've no idea where the orange wire is supposed to connect, and it also seems ill advised to even bother with it. But what I'm getting here is that if I wanted to use that wire, I'd need to have an isolated ground, and an isolated 12V, relay-controlled feed. Which I can only assume has to come from the switched Accessory feed off of the ignition switch. BUT, if I just ignore the wire, the module will still work just fine? It doesn't actually NEED the sense wire to initially energize & maintain the external lighting? Just to open the switch once the Accessory power is terminated?

Three more quick questions here:

Is there a connector type to use in order to avoid cutting the wiring harness? It looks like Houston decided to go this route to create a locking connection as opposed to the non-locking socket DMC used in order to prevent the wires from slipping out due to the weight of the module because...
Is there any concern with annoying rattling or wire strain if the module is just left loose beind the center console, and not tethered to anything?
Is there a source for a green LED instead of the included blue?

Again, thank you everyone for all of your help!

Bitsyncmaster
11-02-2017, 06:46 AM
I have one of the original DMCH units. I had wrote new software for it that maybe de-gliched the problem and also made the light on times programmable. I decided not to sell that new chip for liability reasons. Now was the glitch causing a micro reset? Or was it just the software not filtering (checking that signal many times)?

Yes I remember it was an orange wire DMCH recommended not be connected to disable the auto off function.

I also remember that connector used pins that were very tight and it made disconnecting the connector very hard to do.

I never installed the unit in my car since the original headlight switch still works fine.