PDA

View Full Version : My next big car project….(if I can keep both deloreans running, that is…)

nullset
09-11-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now I've met a local team and the bug has really bit me.

Over the next year I'm going to be putting together a team and building a car. Anyone in or near Atlanta is welcome to join it.

What is it?

It's a race. Sort of. Your budget is $500. This includes everything but brakes, tires, fuel lines and tank if necessary, roll cage, and racing harness. Basically, $500 + safety mandated stuff.

It's very VERY silly. I met the owner of "Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce", which is a 1988 honda with a cessna wing mounted above the roof. It was rather amazing.

So now I'm looking for ideas of what I should make. I'
The rules state $500 net. If you buy a $1500 car and sell $1000 in parts, it's a $500 car.

I highly doubt I'll end up using any delorean though….mostly for budget reasons. I will try to find something interesting though. Maybe an old volvo with the delorean engine could be found…..

Feel free to discuss/suggest/call me crazy here!

--buddy

Ikeaboy1
09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm excited to see what you put together. I'd suggest reading some Thetruthaboutcars.com for some info on Lemons and which models seems to take the abuse best.

vwdmc16
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
im a lemons veteran, i was at the last Altamont race ( where it all started) and since then ive done 10 or 11 races. i used to build roll cages and race cars for a living and id say nearly 1/4 of the west coast cars have cages that i built.

Its fantastic fun and just about everyone always returns for more, its addicting but its still racing which is very expensive even at this basic level. there is alot of science and politics to doing well in this series but thats not at all required to have a fun time.

I can probably answer any questions you have about it

steel-and-fire
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
That is awesome.

After doing the BABE Rally this year I've been thinking about doing the 24 Hours of Lemons (when I get more income).

Very different, but looks like a fun time. Nothing better than not knowing if the car will start each time.

From my experience of car searching $0 - $1000 (you can always haggle), you have a lot of choices:

Ex-cop cars (Ford Crown Vic / Chevy Caprice / Dodge Diplomat)
80s Two-seaters (Pontiac Fiero / Toyota MR2)

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. I'm more partial to cop cars for their reliability, power, and ruggedness. Best of luck to you and happy car hunting. Look forward to seeing what you get. Think about a theme yet?

Kenny_Z
09-11-2011, 11:38 PM
My suggestion:

http://blog.travelnevada.com/images/252.jpg

I stole that from here: http://blog.travelnevada.com/articles/24-hours-of-lemons-coming-to-northern-nevada-may-22-24

Keep us up on what you are doing, it looks like fun.

vwdmc16
09-12-2011, 02:52 AM
dont get a mid engine car ( MR2s are extremeness unreliable in these races) as they are super hard to work on. and dont get a bmw E30 or Mazda miata, they are fast but very boring and cheaty. the people that run the races will not like you. finding the strangest and least race like vehicle will please them the most.