PDA

View Full Version : Mystery connector

Gruffalo
12-14-2017, 01:09 PM
I have almost everything figured out in the engine bay, except this.

What’s it for and where does it go?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/2650914ad4f91ae053ecc50a514ba926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron
12-14-2017, 04:27 PM
There is only one Black/Blue stripe wire I know of...So, if that is a Black/Blue stripe and a Black/Light Green stripe (BLG) on one side of the plug, and a Black (B) on the other side, I'd guess it is for the Idle Speed Switch (or mixed- with the Vacuum Solenoid wiring if the single is Green, or, it's for the 1uF Capacitor -- Hard to tell in pic).

Shep
12-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Post a pic straight-on too, looks like one of the old "church steeple" connectors, but I can't tell if the black wire with a blue stripe is sharing a spot with the other black wire or if that's adjacent to it.

Also, where in the engine bay are we, can we zoom out quite a bit for context? And another pic chasing it as far down the rabbit hole as you can. More pics = more clarity.

Gruffalo
12-15-2017, 04:07 AM
Thanks so far guys!

It exits the wiring loom just upstream of the green wires that go in The Valley.

One black and one black/blue are joined in one side of the connector, the other is a single black.

I’ll post more pictures later.
M

Ron
12-15-2017, 11:01 AM
1uF Capacitor

Gruffalo
12-15-2017, 12:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/fc641213d0cd7d89181b5078e6bec2ca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/79ddb4f2bf7ad56451c51865a03cc023.jpg

Ron
12-15-2017, 02:04 PM
??
In the 2nd pic, it looks like a single Black on one side and two striped wires (black/blue & black/Light Green?) on the other to me...

(I second the motion to post a straight on shot down into the plug ;-)

Gruffalo
12-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Here you go https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/108d0ecd6b775e9b77814269ea95c765.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/06f794186d34f50ca57768e8bfb14c37.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/b7966a7968feb03d658378ee361102dd.jpg

Gruffalo
12-15-2017, 03:32 PM
And behold, another one surfaced
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/53e9a83352647c86633a1f1b9995380c.jpg

Shep
12-15-2017, 06:03 PM
(black/blue & black/Light Green?)That's a black/light blue on both, there's no green there. This is why I love my calibrated monitors.

For what it's worth, that same connector on my car if memory serves has been disconnected for quite some time, I could only tell where in the engine bay it was by the recall paint on your firewall, and then realizing I was looking at the engine cover stay in the background. Lots of blurry metal in these shots (can you zoom out some more for Ron though? The wires I think we can see fine, but we need to see the wires in the surrounding context). Given what happened to my car however, I'm not necessarily saying leaving that plug disconnected is a good thing. At all. I destroyed an engine from the inside out by flooding it with fuel on a constant basis, so I can tell you what my car did, but don't use me as a benchmark unless the word "n00b" is used to refer to me, seriously (I grounded on an ECU input because the wire was black and "obvious ground"....... nope!)

Can you zoom out on the new connector also? Show like a quarter of the engine bay if you can, I have a hunch on that one, but until I know where this harness is found in the engine bay, I don't want to misguide.

Gruffalo
12-15-2017, 06:44 PM
A few weeks ago I had the chance to look at a perfectly restored delorean and took a bunch of photos, randomly. And bingo, look what I found. It’s definitely connected!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/5d29677f13878462fd316f5a8e6b1190.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/5a6a84dd5d0e3e50ffc75dfc7b426752.jpg

Jonathan
12-15-2017, 11:31 PM
More info on mystery connectors here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?181-VIN-2964-Engine-Electrical-Wires-Need-Help!

Your original connector is mentioned in #2 in that thread and is used on automatic transmissions only. I just looked at my car and it is plugged in, although the wiring colours don't look the same as yours so maybe there's more to it than that...

You also pointed out another unplugged connector and you can see it in this other thread's #6 photo in the first post. It is used with the diagnostic plug, which may also be auto trans related. I don't know though as I haven't used that diagnostic plug for anything recently and don't remember much about it.

The guys in that old thread also mention the plugs on top of the W pipe and incorrectly mention them as only for the auto trans. That's partially true only. Those are the "Tetris" piece connectors and every car comes with both wiring harness ends, but only auto trans cars use both opposite ends for the WOT (wide open throttle) switches. Manual trans cars use the fuel enrichment switch only while the auto trans cars use that same fuel enrichment switch PLUS a second switch mounted directly on top of the first switch and use it as a kickdown switch that tells the shift computer to kick it down one gear when floored. You can plug the wrong switch into the wrong receiver end though so be conscious of the wiring colours on those.

Whose car did you take the recent photos of? Almost looks to me like their O2 sensor ground reference wire isn't connected. It's the one with the red solid colour and black quick connector end. I can't tell if that other black connector off in the distance is the opposite end or not.

Ron
12-16-2017, 01:02 AM
That's a black/light blue on both, there's no green there. This is why I love my calibrated monitors.
(can you zoom out some more for Ron though?
Wierd! GTX/1920x1080/16.7 million colors?
I wasn't sure at first so I pasted the lower wire next to the upper like this:
Colors don't look the same.
BUT, when I look at them in the 2nd pic, post 7, they are plainly the same..:thinkin:

==============

Back to the mystery plug...
From the 1st pic in post 7, I'd say that plug hasn't been connected for a long time.
In the schematic I posted above:
The Vacuum Solenoid has a Green wire on one side and an unlabeled wire joining a black/blue wire at a connector* on the other side.
The connector has a red wire coming in from its the other side, which goes to a capacitor.
The other side of the capacitor is grounded -- Ground wires are black.
* The symbol is for a contact connector which does not have to show other connections for the plug it may be in...

So, I'm staying with the plug being for that 1uF capacitor.
(It's purpose is to reduce electrical noise from the micro switch.)

============

Jonathan, you are right about different colors...it's not the plug in the other thread's pic #2:
The automatic trans only (Kickdown) switch uses LGG wire (and the fuel enrichment (Full Throttle) switch uses LG wire.
They both activate at the same time and supply ground. So it shouldn't hurt if they are swapped. Not so for the Idle Speed Switch.)

The plug in post 7 has a P and a O wire. They are for Fuse 12 and CO Dwell.
Both do tie into the big engine diagnostic plug (if equipped...).

Shep
12-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Wierd! GTX/1920x1080/16.7 million colors?ColorMunki Display. USB calibration device, does a fantastic job getting it to display correctly was my point, and only a hundred bucks (not cheap, but for my line of work, sometimes critical -- also, blue next to blue, I promise, grab another monitor you'll see a difference).

Gruffalo
12-16-2017, 11:24 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/1e06d68c3e0833352811728ce18d6d44.jpg

Gruffalo
12-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Something I found on the intraweb... Any clues regarding the white one in the right of the picture?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/dbf97db38f47027eb1f476c17ef6d31e.jpg

Ron
12-16-2017, 07:43 PM
ColorMunki Display. USB calibration device, does a fantastic job getting it to display correctly was my point, and only a hundred bucks (not cheap, but for my line of work, sometimes critical -- also, blue next to blue, I promise, grab another monitor you'll see a difference).
Hehe...I think I got your point and believe you...I just don't understand how poor color calibration would make two items of the same color, in the same photograph, be displayed as different colors. IE it seems they would both appear as the same color, correct color or not.

Not that it has anything to do with your display colors necessarily, but to keep all the colors straight:

That's a black/light blue on both, there's no green there.
There are no light blue wires/stripes on a D. (faded??)

===========

Gruffalo,
If you have a multi-meter, unplug the Vacuum Solenoid and see which of its 2 plug wires has 12v on it. Now, check to see if its other wire has continuity (near zero ohms) to the mystery plugs Black/Blue wires. If it does, you've confirm that the unlabeled wire in the schematic is Black/Blue on your car and that the mystery plug is for a capacitor, which is all but useless and you can forget about it (unless you like AM radio).
Or, go get a cheap probe light...

DMC-81
12-16-2017, 09:16 PM
And behold, another one surfaced
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/53e9a83352647c86633a1f1b9995380c.jpg

As mentioned, this one is for the diagnostic plug. Here a pic of mine connected if it helps.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54880&d=1513476773

I looked and I don't have the other one on my manual car.

Gruffalo
12-17-2017, 05:20 AM
Aha, great, thanks!

Shep
12-19-2017, 01:42 AM
Hehe...I think I got your point and believe you...I just don't understand how poor color calibration would make two items of the same color, in the same photograph, be displayed as different colors. IE it seems they would both appear as the same color, correct color or not.

Not that it has anything to do with your display colors necessarily, but to keep all the colors straight: Your eyes are fooling you. Monitors gravitate heavily toward blue because it looks futuristic, this makes them both harder to pick out and less accurate on the entire scale. It's like saying "Purple? Nope, blue now! Green? HA, nice try, blue! Oh yellow? Okay we'll let it go green but that's it!" -- point is, it actively shifts other colors towards blue that were not blue at all. Also never helps if you've ever adjusted levels on your own, don't do that.

Post-calibration, monitors look immediately orange. This is good, otherwise why did you calibrate at all?

(By the way, modern phones have gotten the memo by sheer default of blue LED's being a PITA to work with and fading faster than red and green, so they have gravitated away from heavy reliance. Slowly, but surely -- I have a pic somewhere of the effects of LED brightness half-lives).

(Also, most likely faded, it matches the all-blue wire higher in the white envelope shot, which to me says it's OEM, but lots of things faded from heat rather than sunlight)

mwesten
03-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Hey gang - totally get I?m exhuming an old thread but in my searches it seems the most relevant and I figure if it helps folks down the road great.

Anyway, some more about these mystery connectors.

In the first pic, am I correct in understanding the #1 connector (green) should remain unused? I saw some comments mentioning it might be related to the auto trans (which I have). Connector #2 (black/blue) I *think* should be connected to the unused connector (with a red wire, hidden in second pic) from behind the black sleeve on the rear wall? and should look like what?s in the third pic.

Am I on the right track with this or overthinking it all?

82DMC12
03-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Hey gang - totally get I?m exhuming an old thread but in my searches it seems the most relevant and I figure if it helps folks down the road great.

Anyway, some more about these mystery connectors.

In the first pic, am I correct in understanding the #1 connector (green) should remain unused? I saw some comments mentioning it might be related to the auto trans (which I have). Connector #2 (black/blue) I *think* should be connected to the unused connector (with a red wire, hidden in second pic) from behind the black sleeve on the rear wall? and should look like what?s in the third pic.

Am I on the right track with this or overthinking it all?

The third pic is correct. The black and black/blue connector plugs into the red and black connector on the firewall. As for the green connector, that is supposed to go to the manual transmission's reverse switch. I don't know how the auto trans reverse lights come on because I have a manual. Perhaps it is unused in the auto trans situation.

Ron
03-19-2023, 09:27 AM
The third pic is correct. The black and black/blue connector plugs into the red and black connector on the firewall. As for the green connector, that is supposed to go to the manual transmission's reverse switch. I don't know how the auto trans reverse lights come on because I have a manual. Perhaps it is unused in the auto trans situation.The manual trans uses a green with brown stripe wire for the reverse lights.
There is a green wire used by the auto trans, but it is for GC power.
There are several green wires used for different things -- You can confirm it is the one for the auto by pulling fuse #13...

Rich
03-19-2023, 05:56 PM
The manual trans uses a green with brown stripe wire for the reverse lights.
There is a green wire used by the auto trans, but it is for GC power.
There are several green wires used for different things -- You can confirm it is the one for the auto by pulling fuse #13...

Yes, and the "same" green with brown stripe wire is present on the automatic transm. for powering the reverse lights.

It's one of several wires in the connector to the governor.

This is according to the DMCH wiring diagram (https://store.delorean.com/p6100330t-full-color-wiring-diagram-rolled.html) where the governor is component #170, located in diagram zone B4, along with the 5-speed's rev switch.

The same diagram shows all of the wires for the rear end lights, including the ground, passing through the black bulkhead connector. The diagram pinpoints which wire goes to which individual bulkhead terminal, too.

$20 spent on the diagram pays back quickly when troubleshooting the electrical system.

Ron
03-19-2023, 07:36 PM
...and the "same" green with brown stripe wire is present on the automatic transm. for powering the reverse lights.
No, that's for ground switching/control (for both auto and manual reverse lights).
It's the Light Green with White Stripe wire that powers the reverse lights (for both auto and manual, fuse #16).

As for how, mention earlier, on an Auto:

Manual: