PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Windshield

LEVY
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Someone broke my perfect windshield w/antenna!

Where can I buy a new windshield?

I'm not worried about the antenna, I think I can add one later!

Thanks!

ramblinmike
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
You and I are in the exact same boat.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1168-Early-VIN-Windshield-Cracked

Delorean Industries
09-13-2011, 10:40 PM
My next order of custom windshields will be in within 5 weeks promised by the manufacture.

ramblinmike
09-13-2011, 11:23 PM
My next order of custom windshields will be in within 5 weeks promised by the manufacture.

.....with an antenna?

LEVY
09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Thank's for your response Josh!

Please let me know when you get new windshields.

If this include antenna, very good, if not, I believe I could duplicate the antenna, it is installed on the surface of the glass and not in between the layers.

My car was stored for over 15 years, maybe 20. After the first ride on the higway it was parked for about two hours, then when we returned to the car it was badly cracked, my first tough was that someone broke in purpose but after reading on this subject, I'm thinking that may be it had a lot of strain and broke itself.

One question for you, does the new windshields will have the DMC logo?

Delorean Industries
09-14-2011, 11:05 AM
No DMC logos. We were debating having the Saint Gobain Sekurit on the front glass. I decided not to on that as well.

stevedmc
09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
No DMC logos. We were debating having the Saint Gobain Sekurit on the front glass. I decided not to on that as well.

Price?

content22207
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Rob Grady told me that John Hervey bought the whole crate of windshields that were imported by the Forum member in Virginia a couple of years ago (DMCPilot?). Has anybody tried contacting John?

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Rob Grady told me that John Hervey bought the whole crate of windshields that were imported by the Forum member in Virginia a couple of years ago (DMCPilot?). Has anybody tried contacting John?

Bill Robertson

I think he sold them all. They were listed on his website about a year ago and I believe the website said there were only a few left. The windshields are no longer listed on his website.

Incidentally, didn't you have a windshield replaced recently? Was it a NOS 30 year old windshield or did you work some magic and get a new one from somewhere?

content22207
09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Cameron told me I got the last usable windshield in Houston. It's got some significant delamination on the bottom edge, still only visible from outside the car, so any others still down there may be delaminated all the way up into the viewing area.

Dave Swingle had some windshield in Illinois last winter, but he doesn't like to ship them due to past breakage problems. He's cool with owners picking them up in person.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Cameron told me I got the last usable windshield in Houston.

That stinks. I noticed a small crack in my windshield over the weekend. It isn't visible from inside the car so I'm going to hold out for a new windshield.

Rich
09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
That stinks. I noticed a small crack in my windshield over the weekend.
It's totally your call. Small cracks in the glass can only become larger with time and more strain from vibration and thermal changes.

You may wish to take advantage of a glass shop or mobile repair technician who can drill a small hole in the glass that will act as a stopping point for the crack. This hole can then be filled with clear resin using a vacuum-resin injection procedure. You could get some months or years of extended windshield use this way.

It might then allow you to choose the timing of eventual replacement and more time to get the windshield you want, not be stuck with an urgent job when the crack gets bigger.

ramblinmike
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
If this include antenna, very good, if not, I believe I could duplicate the antenna, it is installed on the surface of the glass and not in between the layers.

How can you do this? Sounds interesting!

stevedmc
09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
It's totally your call. Small cracks in the glass can only become larger with time and more strain from vibration and thermal changes.

You may wish to take advantage of a glass shop or mobile repair technician who can drill a small hole in the glass that will act as a stopping point for the crack. This hole can then be filled with clear resin using a vacuum-resin injection procedure. You could get some months or years of extended windshield use this way.

It might then allow you to choose the timing of eventual replacement and more time to get the windshield you want, not be stuck with an urgent job when the crack gets bigger.

Yep. I was thinking about that earlier today. When I get a chance I'm going to measure the crack and call my insurance company if it is small enough to be "fixed".

LEVY
09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm currently working on an easy way to duplicate the antenna and the DMC logo, for the logo part, I might need permission from the logo owners who might be DMC or kinonglas.

Duplicate the logo is the easier part, I'm working on a 15 minute antenna, on the car reproduction, will post when ready.

How can you do this? Sounds interesting!

r00b
09-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I might need permission from the logo owners

You don't.

Dracula
09-17-2011, 06:36 PM
You don't.

However, expect a "Cease and Desist" letter threatening lawsuit from DMCH if you mention the company you're working with or post it publicly. It's a lot of hot air and would never stand up in court, but it scares away most smaller manufacturers.

LEVY
09-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Even if it was not a registered trademark, the right way to do it is to request permission from the owners, but I believe it is a registered trademark.

You don't.

This kind of litigation is very expensive for all the parts involved, why not try it the right way from the begining?

However, expect a "Cease and Desist" letter threatening lawsuit from DMCH if you mention the company you're working with or post it publicly. It's a lot of hot air and would never stand up in court, but it scares away most smaller manufacturers.

pt11334
10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Almost 5 weeks. Any news on the new windshields? I need to replace my crack windshield .

LEVY
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm also waiting for news!

Almost 5 weeks. Any news on the new windshields? I need to replace my crack windshield .

Only1Balto
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I feel this would be the correct thread to ask (since we're waiting for new windshield's anyways). How difficult is it to obtain parts for the DeLorean? And I mean any and every parts just off the top of your head? I've been looking into purchasing a DeLorean, but if all the parts are already being gathered up by their owners making it more difficult to find pieces, I might need to look into something newer.

Delorean Industries
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
First batch arrived. I installed one in my daily driver last week. Drove the car all weekend and will let you know what I think shortly and if they are up to our standards.

LEVY
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM

http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums/attachments/tony-the-tiger-frosties-jpg.4261/

Let us know!

First batch arrived. I installed one in my daily driver last week. Drove the car all weekend and will let you know what I think shortly and if they are up to our standards.

pt11334
10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Waiting, :wave2:

DMCH James
10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Just missed having these to show at the Open House! Our first batch arrived today...

James

dmcnorway
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks excellent! :-)

Best wishes
Stian B.
VIN # 06759

Bitsyncmaster
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Does that "E37" mean it reflects heat? I don't care much about UV but I do want to reduce the IR heating on the dash.

dmcnorway
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
"E37" is a EU-code which tells you where the windshield was made. For example E1 is Germany. E37 is Turkey.

Does that "E37" mean it reflects heat? I don't care much about UV but I do want to reduce the IR heating on the dash.

pt11334
10-19-2011, 12:19 AM
How much are the windshields? Are this the $400 ones or the $1000 that DMC sells.
Does DMC florida have any? I think I'll save some money by driving to Naples than having them shipped to Miami.

uhhair
10-24-2011, 12:31 AM
At our DMA Fall Foilage tour on Saturday, James Espy said that the new DMC windshields should run around $450 if I'm not mistaken.