PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Door Lights

XZypher
09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I recently replaced my switches and leds so they are all working now, but when the door closes the lights are still on (can see the red glow in the dark) is there something else that needs to be added to the door to push the switches in far enough to turn them off.

Bitsyncmaster
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I recently replaced my switches and leds so they are all working now, but when the door closes the lights are still on (can see the red glow in the dark) is there something else that needs to be added to the door to push the switches in far enough to turn them off.

Do you mean the door light still glows with the door switch depressed? Or do you mean the dome light still glows with both doors closed?

WelmoedJ
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Assuming pushing in the pin of the door switch make the door lights go off:

If you have rubber extensions on the pins of the door switch(es) they are probably pushed in at some point in time.
Once you have moved the extension rubbers outwards on the pin the door lights will go off.

If you don't have rubber extensions on the switch's pin, you may need to check if the door switch itself is causing the trouble.

stevedmc
09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
The door light plunger thingie probably isn't pressing all the way in.

Get yourself some weather stripping at lowes and place a piece of it on the door where the plunger hits the door. Problem solved.

Bitsyncmaster
09-14-2011, 03:06 PM
If you still have the OEM dome light delay, that will keep LED dome lights glowing. My new dome light delay can also do that with some LEDs which you can fix with a resistor or just ignore it because the current is just 200 ua.

So remove the OEM dome light delay with LEDs in the dome lights.

robvanderveer
09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
If you still have the OEM dome light delay, that will keep LED dome lights glowing. My new dome light delay can also do that with some LEDs which you can fix with a resistor or just ignore it because the current is just 200 ua.

So remove the OEM dome light delay with LEDs in the dome lights.

I have your module installed, and I noticed the door leds remain lit at *very* low current even after the dome lights have fully faded/shut off. Yes, the instruction say I could fix that with a resistor but I am not afraid that my battery runs flat because of this very low current.

Bitsyncmaster
09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
I have your module installed, and I noticed the door leds remain lit at *very* low current even after the dome lights have fully faded/shut off. Yes, the instruction say I could fix that with a resistor but I am not afraid that my battery runs flat because of this very low current.

It will not drain your battery (well maybe if it sits for 20 years not running). Installing one resistor on one door light should turn them off fully but it will not change the current draw. I use that current to determine if any light is activated and then turn on or off the power to all the lights.

robvanderveer
09-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you for replying, Dave. I was not worrying about it though

XZypher
09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
I am refering too the light in the doors all 3 the back one is red so it makes my seals glow a cool red i just put new plunger switches on with the rubbers.

Bitsyncmaster
09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
I am refering too the light in the doors all 3 the back one is red so it makes my seals glow a cool red i just put new plunger switches on with the rubbers.

So your door lights are working? When the door switch is depressed there should be no power to the door LEDs at all. If they still glow, you have a bad switch or wiring problem. Is the screw that mounts the switch to long and keeping the circuit closed?

Dangermouse
09-15-2011, 08:18 AM
I am refering too the light in the doors all 3 the back one is red so it makes my seals glow a cool red .

Would be pretty cool to drive along at night and have the door outlined in red though ;)

XZypher
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM
the switches work I tested that they just are not getting depressed enough to turn them off