PDA

View Full Version : General Hazard Switch bulb woes

hippieman9
04-07-2018, 01:14 AM
So I got the LEDs for the Hazard switch and the Headlamp switch. I got the cover off of the Hazard switch and I installed the LED. I have tried it both ways. Meaning I installed the bulb both ways and it will not illuminate. I searched pasts posts and found some stuff posted in the past, but nothing that has helped yet. I have checked Fuzes 6 and 8 they are both fine. I took my switch out and disassembled it, found some corrosion on the terminals and cleaned them, put some dielectric grease on the copper posts, reassembled it and still nothing. So just to clarify, The Hazard switch functions, meaning the exterior lights function as they should. The only thing that isn't working is that pesky bulb in the switch itself. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Also Does the Headlight switch button just pop off for access to the bulb? Or do you have to remove the whole switch to replace the bulb?

DMC-81
04-07-2018, 06:08 AM
So I got the LEDs for the Hazard switch and the Headlamp switch. I got the cover off of the Hazard switch and I installed the LED. I have tried it both ways. Meaning I installed the bulb both ways and it will not illuminate. I searched pasts posts and found some stuff posted in the past, but nothing that has helped yet. I have checked Fuzes 6 and 8 they are both fine. I took my switch out and disassembled it, found some corrosion on the terminals and cleaned them, put some dielectric grease on the copper posts, reassembled it and still nothing. So just to clarify, The Hazard switch functions, meaning the exterior lights function as they should. The only thing that isn't working is that pesky bulb in the switch itself. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Also Does the Headlight switch button just pop off for access to the bulb? Or do you have to remove the whole switch to replace the bulb?

Hmm. I found this thread helpful when I had the same problem...
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9827-Hazard-Switch-Light-stopped-working

In the end, my problem was that I hadn't reconnected the dimmer switch yet as I was redoing my whole console. Also, remember to remove the blue filter if you have one. ( post 21-24).

hippieman9
04-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Hmm. I found this thread helpful when I had the same problem...
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9827-Hazard-Switch-Light-stopped-working

In the end, my problem was that I hadn't reconnected the dimmer switch yet as I was redoing my whole console. Also, remember to remove the blue filter if you have one. ( post 21-24).

Yes, That is the thread I read. Also I have my switch out of the dash, and I pulled the wiring harness through the hole so I could test it first before I reinstall the switch. I have tried the incandescent bulb as well as the LED, neither is working.

DMC-81
04-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Yes, That is the thread I read. Also I have my switch out of the dash, and I pulled the wiring harness through the hole so I could test it first before I reinstall the switch. I have tried the incandescent bulb as well as the LED, neither is working.

Ok, another thing I had to do is bend one of the contacts a little bit to make a good connection.

hippieman9
04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Ok, another thing I had to do is bend one of the contacts a little bit to make a good connection.

Well, I disassembled the switch and checked for resistance and the little copper tabs were not meeting with the terminals. So i adjusted them to touch. I then made a jumper to test the bulb circuit. when power was applied the bulb lights. When I reassemble the switch and plug it back in, No light. This is a real head scratcher. Ive checked and there is ground, and power coming to the switch. Starting to think its a bad switch.

DMC-81
04-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Well, I disassembled the switch and checked for resistance and the little copper tabs were not meeting with the terminals. So i adjusted them to touch. I then made a jumper to test the bulb circuit. when power was applied the bulb lights. When I reassemble the switch and plug it back in, No light. This is a real head scratcher. Ive checked and there is ground, and power coming to the switch. Starting to think its a bad switch.

Yeah, I think your answer is in the little copper tabs. I had to adjust them so they would work with the switch re-assembled. One of them was not even making contact initially.

After adjustment the switch works reliably.

Good luck.

Shep
04-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Few notes here:

"checked fuse" how? Visibly, or with a dedicated fuse tester / multimeter? Some fuses can fail without any clear visual indication that they've gone. I believe the fuse you're looking for is the "interior illumination" fuse and/or the "accessory" fuse, but check any that are relevant and confirm they all test good before proceeding.

Probably good to check the harness to see that you're getting ~12V where you need it, I can't remember which wires supply the illumination however.

Does your car have the blinker mod? If so, which bulbs are LED's on the front, sides, and rear and which are incandescent?

LED connection bit, there's a wire that wraps around the bottom of the bulb and over to the other side. You need to cut both of these in half or it will short out on the other side and blow a fuse.

Did you try removing the bulb and re-inserting the other way? They're diodes, only work plugged in the one way, just like any LED. It's possible yours is simply inserted backwards. This would not blow a fuse, it just won't illuminate (I see you've tested with an incandescent, but it's still something to keep in mind).

EDIT: Also, pictures of the innards and outside of the switch to help show the current setup and state of the switch will help. Worst case it is the switch, but ruling out other stuff first never hurts.

hippieman9
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
OK, so... am I correct that the Hazard switch light only works when the headlamp switch is activated? because thats the only time the light works. I assumed that the bulb would light up and flash opposite the exterior flashing lights. But you know what they say when you assume things. HAHA.

Shep
04-07-2018, 03:25 PM
OK, so... am I correct that the Hazard switch light only works when the headlamp switch is activated? because thats the only time the light works. I assumed that the bulb would light up and flash opposite the exterior flashing lights. But you know what they say when you assume things. HAHA.Actually that sounds correct to me now that you mention it. The HVAC panel is lit when the key is on, but the switch itself may still remain unlit until it's "dark out" (parking lights on). Good catch! :)

By the way, there's a color filter in each button that can be removed to help make it brighter. Red in the hazard switch, green/blue-ish in the headlight switch. My hazard switch filter is gone, but I think I kept the headlight one as I used a blue LED to better match the blue HVAC panel I bought off of bitsyncmaster and for some reason it came out better. Maybe, I can't remember.

Bitsyncmaster
04-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Actually that sounds correct to me now that you mention it. The HVAC panel is lit when the key is on, but the switch itself may still remain unlit until it's "dark out" (parking lights on). Good catch! :)

By the way, there's a color filter in each button that can be removed to help make it brighter. Red in the hazard switch, green/blue-ish in the headlight switch. My hazard switch filter is gone, but I think I kept the headlight one as I used a blue LED to better match the blue HVAC panel I bought off of bitsyncmaster and for some reason it came out better. Maybe, I can't remember.

Yes the two push button switch lights only come on when parking or headlights are on. In stock form the HVAC lights run full power when the key is on and lower power (dropped by a resistor) when the lights are on. Many people have done a change so HVAC lights only come on with parking or headlights.

Shep
04-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Yes the two push button switch lights only come on when parking or headlights are on. In stock form the HVAC lights run full power when the key is on and lower power (dropped by a resistor) when the lights are on. Many people have done a change so HVAC lights only come on with parking or headlights.I assume your panel is unaffected by the resistor part, or accounts for it, given it's an LED panel? I haven't noticed any change in HVAC brightness but can check that too. My rheostat is entirely bypassed via a jumper if it matters any.

Bitsyncmaster
04-08-2018, 06:00 PM
I assume your panel is unaffected by the resistor part, or accounts for it, given it's an LED panel? I haven't noticed any change in HVAC brightness but can check that too. My rheostat is entirely bypassed via a jumper if it matters any.

The resistor would make very little change in the brightness of LEDs. I was going to measure the red resistor but I've misplaced it.

Shep
04-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Okay, so that's why mine doesn't change brightness at all. That was a very early mod after finding out several HVAC bulbs were blown and ground wires were just hanging there, ready to short any power line (fun!) Thanks for the insight!