PDA

View Full Version : General A pillar Repair

hippieman9
05-12-2018, 07:16 PM
So t reattach the A pillar trim, does the windshield have to come out? Is this glued right to the pillar? Or can i re-glue it and clamp it in place to fix it? 56321

I wasn't sure if this clips in like newer vehicles or is a glue in piece.

Thanks!

DMC5180
05-12-2018, 08:59 PM
The original trim is glued to the A pillar before the windshield is installed. So, technically if you want to look original you would need to have the glass removed and hope it doesn’t break in the process. However, if the glass is already cracked especially near the mirror mount , then fixing the A pillars at that time is a no brainer.

Their is an alternate method, that doesn’t require windshield removal, but it requires using the replacement Fiberglass A pillar covers. They don’t warp with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hippieman9
05-12-2018, 09:45 PM
The original trim is glued to the A pillar before the windshield is installed. So, technically if you want to look original you would need to have the glass removed and hope it doesn’t break in the process. However, if the glass is already cracked especially near the mirror mount , then fixing the A pillars at that time is a no brainer.

Their is an alternate method, that doesn’t require windshield removal, but it requires using the replacement Fiberglass A pillar covers. They don’t warp with heat.

Gotcha, So are the originals attached with clips? I don't wanna pry on it or anything because I can live with the slight separation for now .

DMC5180
05-12-2018, 10:16 PM
No clips, the backing piece just sits there, and is held in place with the glued vinyl too the A-pillar and also glued and wrapped under the inner door seal.

Jonty
01-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Just resurrecting this but has any one had any success in the exact same example in finding a bloody strong adhesive (Hysol?) and re-gluing it without removing the windshield? Doing that is not an option for me because if the windshield breaks I have no way of getting another

eight8toy
01-12-2019, 08:36 PM
I fixed mine with some clear general purpose silicone adhesive caulking. Took a flexible plastic drinking straw and cut it in half. Then shoved one end on the gun and the other end between the glass and trim. Then had a helper squeeze the caulking gun while I directed the silicone through the straw. Put some clamps on to cure overnight. Fixed.

Rich
01-13-2019, 01:15 PM
....Doing that is not an option for me because if the windshield breaks I have no way of getting another

Looks like you have an option that doesn't call for windshield replacement. Good luck with your fix.

Writing this only to mention there are reproduction windshields available from DMC if not also from others.

Jonty
01-14-2019, 03:17 AM
Thanks all - I know there are replacement screens from DMC but the cost to ship them to internationally is astronomical.