PDA

View Full Version : Hervey's Fuel Pump

SoCalDMC12
09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I think it may be time to change out my fuel pump soon... anyone have any experience with Hervey's "New High Volume" replacement pump?

Also, I've never replaced a fuel pump before... looks pretty straight forward... undo the two fuel lines, electrical connections, and pick-up hose; pull the old one out; and reverse the procedure to install the new unit. Correct?

DCUK Martin
09-16-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCAG2IUb3E

Chris 16409
09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
People have said Hervey's new fuel pump doesn't live up to expectations. You may want to just go with the pump from DMCH. That's what I put in my car, and it's working fine.

DniveK
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Just installed his pump kit today, this is my second pump since buying the car in 1996. I org. bought one from Delorean One the year I purchased the car, it lasted until this year and failed due to ethanol additive gas. I took the car on a test run today and it runs great with the new pump. Time will tell if it stands up or not. It was very easy to install and seemed quieter than my previous pump.

TTait
09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
I put in his power pump about a month ago - so far so good. I should point out that Hervey has much better warranty options than Houston.

If you are doing the pump, consider replacing the two fuel lines running to it, the electrical harness (12" or so long) the pickup screen, and the pickup hose (with spring inside it). It may be a good time to do the fuel filter too.

There is lot of info and opinions about Herveys updated baffle here too - read about it and see if you want to go that way.

Tom

SoCalDMC12
09-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Howdy folks,

Well, I debated doing the job myself... based on Martin's video it seems like a job that I could probably do myself (or at least have some fun trying). Since I had the pick-up hose replaced within the year, I wouldn't have had to mess with the baffle.

But as it turned out, I needed to get a few things done to my car at DMC-CA, so I opted to simply let them handle the job.

Thanks to all for the input/advice, and the great video tutorial, Martin!

stevedmc
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Well, I debated doing the job myself... based on Martin's video it seems like a job that I could probably do myself (or at least have some fun trying). Since I had the pick-up hose replaced within the year, I wouldn't have had to mess with the baffle.

Fuel pump replacement is super easty. It takes me more time to empty my trunk than it takes to do the actual work.

DCUK Martin
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
There's a lot that can easily go wrong with a fuel pump install.

stevedmc
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
There's a lot that can easily go wrong with a fuel pump install.

Not if your baffle is a tuna fish can or whatever it is Hervey is using.

MartyP
10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I replced all the insides of the fuel tank following that video And it was quite easy ! Fuel pump was good, but I replaced the filter the steel and rubber return line, the pick-up hose, etc... Went like a charm thanks to this video.

chef4u
10-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I replaced mine with the tuna can, shorten my hose, and run it straight down to the fuel tank. Now my fuel pump is running quite, not as hard and no kinking problem either.

DMCVegas
10-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Not if your baffle is a tuna fish can or whatever it is Hervey is using.

Between the two, stick with the Tuna Fish Can. It functions way better since it drains fuel out of the baffle slower, and it remains in place using the stock bolt in the fuel tank. If you don't get Hervey's baffle in perfectly, or ESPECIALLY if you over-tighten the large clamp on the Fuel Pump Boot & Cap you can tend to have starvation issues if you run the tank down low and take corners too hard (see below for more related details on this).

The stock baffle is ideal however since it locates the pickup of fuel to the exact center of the tank. Move it back directly below the pump, and if you were low enough on fuel, and had the car at an extreme enough of an angle going downhill, you would encounter starvation issues. An extreme example sure, but one none the less.

That's a great video, Martin. Though there is an even quicker and easier way to install the baffle. Assemble the Baffle until 1:40 into the video. Then just squeeze the sides and pop the bottom of the baffle off, but leave it in place attached to the tongue. Squeeze the whole assembly as shown to get it into the tank, and then just reach in with one hand to position the baffle and bottom and press it down against the bottom of the tank with the palm of your hand. Everything will snap right into place. Then all you've got to do is skip ahead to 4:06 and you're done.

Also, DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE LARGE CLAMP THAT HOLDS THE FUEL PUMP BOOT & COVER IN PLACE! As you tighten the clamp, the boot & cover tend to pinch near the top, and the clamp creeps up. Once it barely starts doing this, as long as the boot and cap are snugly in place, you're done. You won't feel as much tension on the Hose Clamp Screw as you do when tightening a fuel or coolant line because there is so much more pliable rubber than normal. Aside from damaging your boot and cover, you may not get a 100% perfect seal in the summer time leading to fumes and wasted fuel. Of course if you go WAY too tight you'll just cause the clamp to pop-off right then and there. Just be mindful of this part and you won't have any worries.