PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Want to trade for a Delorean

Bullet
09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
hi everyone. I was forwarded this site by a local Friend of mine (with 2 Deloreans)
I've been talking with him at length about finding a decent one for myself.
long story short, while buying one outright would be easiest for the seller I'm a bit stuck since I am Self-Employed and still need to sell of a lot of my parts collections (Fiero, Classic VW's).

First off, I'm not just posting this for fun, I intend to one way or another have a Delorean in my possesion and to ask feedback on issues, concerns, etc as they come. on this forum.

for the time being though, I can offer a trade for a "Decent" Delorean.

I have a 1967 Volkswagen Type 3 Fastback in Near Mint Condition, everything is either brand new or fully restored. other than a few small touch ups in the front of the hood by the previous owner the paint is wonderful.

New 1776cc Engine and Freeway Flyer 4-Speed Transmission. (1100 miles on restoration)
Interior - New
Suspension - New and Restored.
ZERO RUST
Daily Driver Capable.

I can ppost a link to my photo album later this evening if anyone is interested.

current market value according to appraisers, VW Club Members, and myself is $10,500

however the economy makes it a bit difficult to sell it at that.

So trade value should be $7500-10,000

dvonk
09-17-2011, 10:33 PM
welcome! :wave:
it sounds like you are car savvy and your friend has filled you in on alot of details about DeLoreans. this site is a wealth of information for any questions you may have. if your friend has not discussed average price ranges with you, here is an excerpt (from this thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%E2%80%9CI-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%E2%80%9D-or-%E2%80%9CProject-Car-Wanted%E2%80%9D-threads)) to give you a general idea:

What I want to pay vs. what is realistic

A “rule of thumb” for D’s was established years ago, and for the most part it is still applicable. “What’s the difference between a $20k and a $25k DeLorean? About $10k.”

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:
- $2k - $4k: A car with rot, not running, interior destroyed, sitting for years - - possibly decades… more times than most—a parts car. This car will take MAJOR $$ and time to restore
- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.
- $20k to $26k: There are a lot of D’s in this category. These are a lot of the well-known cars that spend a lot of time in a garage, have been basically rebuilt and updated, body is in excellent condition, everything works, car can be driven with confidence virtually anywhere. NICE D’s.
- $27k to $35k: This range is getting harder and harder to find as the economy has changed over the past few years. At the upper end of this range, you would expect to find things like concourse cars. When the economy was good, VERY NICE D’s were in this range, but in the past few years this has changed with the economy. The majority of nice cars you will now find in the $25k range.
- $36k+ : These are the unicorn cars. More than likely you are spending this kind of money buying a car from a vendor, or an older person who thinks the car is a Ferrari. If you are looking at a privately owned car in this category and the car has no substantial history (i.e. Right Hand Drive (RHD), Johnny Carson owned it, etc…), you can do better. Vendor cars usually have full inspections/some kind of warranty in this price range.

Please note, these are GENERALIZED figures from what we have all seen time and time again. Yes there are exceptions to the rules.

if/when you have other questions, there are many knowledgeable members/owners who will be more than willing to enlighten you. also, the "Search" function can reveal valuable information as well! :smile:

Michael
09-17-2011, 11:04 PM
That list needs to be updated with this:

48-50k: this will buy you a 25k car at Barrett-Jackson Vegas.

Bullet
09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, I've learned a lot about the ups and downs of Deloreans through him. I know the typical price ranges already and the problem areas where rot usually forms.
honestly it was after I met my friend that I decided that getting a Delorean was definetly a good plan. he has spare parts, and I'm a mechanic...and we live in the same town, it's a perfect set up.

as far as condition etc I'm looking for...

No Rot (surface rust is ok, but NO SCALING RUST)

miles - doesn't really matter to me but apparently they all have lower miles (less than 65k usually)

interior - seat cover condition doesn't matter that much to me, dash should be crack free, center armrest doesn't need to be perfect.

exterior - body panels should be intact...

I'm looking for an overall decent project, that's either a NON-RUNNER, or doesn't have an engine (I'd like it to have it's 2.8L but I can figure something else out if it doesn't)

MUST HAVE TRANSMISSION automatic or stick shift

I am new to this community but I completely understand the basics, and would love "constructive feedback" and pointers!!!

Thanks!!!

welcome! :wave:
it sounds like you are car savvy and your friend has filled you in on alot of details about DeLoreans. this site is a wealth of information for any questions you may have. if your friend has not discussed average price ranges with you, here is an excerpt (from this thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%E2%80%9CI-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%E2%80%9D-or-%E2%80%9CProject-Car-Wanted%E2%80%9D-threads)) to give you a general idea:

if/when you have other questions, there are many knowledgeable members/owners who will be more than willing to enlighten you. also, the "Search" function can reveal valuable information as well! :smile:

Bullet
09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
here are the pictures I currently have. I'll take more this next week at all the carshows I go to.

http://photobucket.com/StevesFastbackvw

Michael
09-18-2011, 12:17 AM
here are the pictures I currently have. I'll take more this next week at all the carshows I go to.

That's a very nice looking car, not just the condition, but I really like the look of that car. Never saw one until tonight.

LEVY
09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Very nice car!

You are better off selling that car, add some money and then buy a ready to go Delorean!

If you find someone who is willing to trade, you will end up disapointed and hating Deloreans!

Good luck!

Dracula
09-18-2011, 01:25 PM
What he wants is pretty well-defined; a project car that needs a lot of work. There are many that want this exact thing. My second one was chosen specifically to be in this condition so it could be rebuilt to my taste.

He'll be fine with a non-running project; even one that's missing a lot of parts. After all, there's no better way to learn everything about a DeLorean than rebuilding it piece by piece.

stevedmc
09-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Why not just sell the car you have and use the money to buy a cheap $10k Delorean?

LEVY
09-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I still don't see where he said he is looking for a car that needs a lot of work! What I understand is, he is looking for a "decent car", maybe no engine but still a decent car. Since he already have a "very nice running car", if he buys a lemon he will notice it and then he will regret it!

Anyway, good luck and hope you find your car.

I bought my car for $1000.00 USD no too long ago, $2000.00 USD later, it is running but still far from perfect. If I spend anothyer $10000.00 USD on it, then it should be a decent car at decent price.

What he wants is pretty well-defined; a project car that needs a lot of work. There are many that want this exact thing. My second one was chosen specifically to be in this condition so it could be rebuilt to my taste.

He'll be fine with a non-running project; even one that's missing a lot of parts. After all, there's no better way to learn everything about a DeLorean than rebuilding it piece by piece.

LEVY
09-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Exactly!

Why not just sell the car you have and use the money to buy a cheap $10k Delorean?

stevedmc
09-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I bought my car for $1000.00 USD no too long ago, $2000.00 USD later, it is running but still far from perfect. If I spend anothyer $10000.00 USD on it, then it should be a decent car at decent price.

Pictures? I'd love to see/hear more about this.

LEVY
09-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Sure!

Give me a minute or two (or three), let me find progress pictures and I will post!

Levy

Pictures? I'd love to see/hear more about this.

stevedmc
09-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Sure!

Give me a minute or two (or three), let me find progress pictures and I will post!

Levy

The reason I ask is there is a Delorean in Baton Rouge that is in horrible shape. Its got dents, its got rust, it would be a nightmare if someone tried to start it. It has been sitting on the back lot of a car dealership for at least 5 years. The tires don't even have air in them. I'm tempted to offer the owner a thousand dollars to see if he might be interested in getting rid of it.

LEVY
09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
That is exactly what I did, I saw that car in a garage, according to the PO. it was parked for 17 years.

I told him that I wanted that car for my son, he told my son that he would sell it for $1000.00 USD but gave him some advice: you better buy a Mustang, Deloreans are very expensive to fix.

I bought the car anyway, it was red but it is back to the original stainless now. It is auto with fuel flap.

It is running now but no much power, still trying to fix it!

The reason I ask is there is a Delorean in Baton Rouge that is in horrible shape. Its got dents, its got rust, it would be a nightmare if someone tried to start it. It has been sitting on the back lot of a car dealership for at least 5 years. The tires don't even have air in them. I'm tempted to offer the owner a thousand dollars to see if he might be interested in getting rid of it.

Bullet
09-18-2011, 04:43 PM
to respond to previous posts this is going to be a very long and descriptive posting.
if you have any shortness of breath or blurred vision please log off and consult a physician...ha

I'm looking for a "decent car" yes. but by decent I mean not rotted through, and not a hopeless cause.

rolling chassis with a dash and body. the interior doesn't have to be there, the engine doesn't have to be there, but the electrical harnesses should be intact, not missing too many major body parts (needs doors, bumpers, and engine cover)

also to respond to a few who said I should sell my current classic outright - I'm going to sell it outright in the spring, I'm just offering it up now as a trade because fall is the "LOW SALE SEASON" when cars go for less.

and if I sold it outright I might not want a delorean right away, I might just continue to buy other classics and continue restoring cars that will remain on the road for years.

I am serious with my trade offer. if I wasn't I'd just go to my friend's house and take a ride in his delorean with him for fun and never get one.

it has been a dream car of mine since I was born (among many), I'm slowly buying each "bucket list car" early in my life because once I go ver the hill (40-50) I plan on having a family and a business.

thank you again for all your pointers.

if someone wants to deal please let me know, if not you don't have to post what I should or shouldn't do with my money or vehicle. I am set on what to watch out for and what a "PROJECT" is when it comes to Deloreans. a car is a car, I've restored and rebuild many cars, even british cars (PITA's). I'd like my next "Project" to be a delorean. and if it becomes a "problem child" or is the bezst car I've ever owned it will be a learning experience either way. that's why I continue to invest time and money into classics.
"if you don't learn you can't grow" ;)

as I am self employed and work 7 days a week I am on my computer regularly. please private message me if you have a listing or car for sale with good details and description. along with your name, number, and/or email address so I can respond back directly.

Dracula
09-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I still don't see where he said he is looking for a car that needs a lot of work! What I understand is, he is looking for a "decent car", maybe no engine but still a decent car.

I'm looking for an overall decent project, that's either a NON-RUNNER, or doesn't have an engine (I'd like it to have it's 2.8L but I can figure something else out if it doesn't)

To me, that's a project car that needs a lot of work. If you're willing to accept a car with no engine, then that means you're prepared to fix a lot of other areas as well. After all, anyone who works with cars knows that nobody pulls out the engine of a car that needs absolutely nothing.

stevedmc
09-18-2011, 05:24 PM
if someone wants to deal please let me know, if not you don't have to post what I should or shouldn't do with my money or vehicle.

Most people on this forum are interested in Deloreans and not Volkswagens. That is why I suggested you would have better luck selling your car, which is very nice btw, and using the money to buy the cheap Delorean you are looking for.

Jacko
09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Bullet, I understand completely what you're looking for. You don't want want anyone to hold your hand or offer unsolicited advice ... good for you. The only thing that's disconcerting to me is I have now learned that '40 or 50 is over the hill' ... Please say it isn't so ...