PDA

View Full Version : General Solid State RPM relay

Bitsyncmaster
09-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I have had a few returns caused by plugging the connector in backwards (upside down). This will cause permanent damage and the connector guides show what happened.

Please look that the connector is oriented properly before plugging the unit in.

Many more and I will have to stop offering these upgrades.

DMC5180
09-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The reference post at the bottom of the pdf. instructions no longer exists. (.com)

A simple picture in the instructions would alleviate the problem.

Just like the Diode pic in the ECU inst.

Bitsyncmaster
09-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks

Yes I need to fix all those old references to the old .com forum.

andy blackmon
09-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I have had this solid state installed for about a year, no problems what so ever with it. In fact I have most of David's products installed and no problems with any of them.
Andy B 03513

DMC5180
09-18-2011, 02:30 PM
DM-eng Solid State Solutions work great when installed correctly.:biggrin:

Ozzie
09-18-2011, 07:15 PM
It is a good time to remind everyone about this solid state solution, to the critical RPM Relay component, in our cars.

I believe that I have one of the oldest installs (January 2008 ) and have put thousands of miles on it, several of those on multi-hour highway trip, without any incidents.

I wrote a review of it here, on my blog (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/05/rpm-relay-modern-update.html).

A highly recommended upgrade for your DeLorean.

DMC5180
09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
MIne went in at DCS 08 Gettysburg. :worship:

robvanderveer
09-22-2011, 04:05 AM
I have had a few returns caused by plugging the connector in backwards (upside down). This will cause permanent damage and the connector guides show what happened.

Please look that the connector is oriented properly before plugging the unit in.

Many more and I will have to stop offering these upgrades.

My car came with spade connectors to the RPM relay. I decided to upgrade is with a proper plug.

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18156#p18156

outatym2001
02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I have been running the solid state RPM relay in my daily driver DeLorean for four weeks and love the positive and immediate starts each and every morning. Each time I turn the key to ON I hear the fuel pump run for 1.5 seconds and when I turn off the engine the fuel pump runs for half a second.
I chose to send in the $75 for the relay and $50 for the core charge which he returns when he gets your RPM relay in exchange. Or you can just send in your RPM relay with the $75 and he will send you one already manufactured.
He includes a label on them now that says, “SOLID STATE RPM RELAY” just so you know it isn’t original

sdg3205
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
In my opinion, Dave's RPM relay is a no brainer. If you're reading this and you don't have one, get one. Low price for peace of mind.

EDIT - in case you're wondering, YES, my old RPM relay left me high and dry.

Jeff K
02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I ordered one and it's on the way. I can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

jawn101
02-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Love mine as well.

Jimmyvonviggle
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Some one help me out. What the hell is this? Where is this located on my car? What happens if I don't get this?

I have had my car less than a year and still figuring this thing out.

Mike C.
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
It's an updated version of your RPM relay in your electrical compartment behind your passenger seat.

Yours is probably green or blue and black.

sdg3205
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
It's an updated version of your RPM relay in your electrical compartment behind your passenger seat.

Yours is probably green or blue and black.

What Mike said

Used to power the fuel pump. Bad relay = no fuel.

Jimmyvonviggle
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
What Mike said

Used to power the fuel pump. Bad relay = no fuel.

Ok that explains a lot. Who is this vendor i have not heard of before and where can I get his contact info?

Cory W
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Ok that explains a lot. Who is this vendor i have not heard of before and where can I get his contact info?

http://dmctalk.org/member.php?59-Bitsyncmaster

His site of great electrical things for our cars (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze109dmk/) ;)

SIMid
02-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Did all you guys do this?

"Please install a 3 amp fuse as shown in DMCtalk for the warm up regulator. A few of the warm up regulators (which get powered from the RPM relay) have short circuited. This caused one of my units to be returned for repair."

The linky on the PDF was going to the old site. I guess if you don't engage the Hot Fix, then its not required?

I'm waiting for mine in the mail. :wink:

SIMid
02-27-2012, 12:50 AM
He includes a label on them now that says, “SOLID STATE RPM RELAY” just so you know it isn’t original

I guess looking at the attached pic, the wording facing up is the right orientation for the installation?

sdg3205
02-27-2012, 03:21 AM
I installed the fuse. You can just get a single socket from the auto store. Just ensure you fuse the right wire. Check the resistances that Dave touches on.

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2012, 03:22 AM

"Please install a 3 amp fuse as shown in DMCtalk for the warm up regulator. A few of the warm up regulators (which get powered from the RPM relay) have short circuited. This caused one of my units to be returned for repair."

The linky on the PDF was going to the old site. I guess if you don't engage the Hot Fix, then its not required?

I'm waiting for mine in the mail. :wink:

I removed that optional fuse install wording on my instalation document. It is not a requirement for installing my relay. I though it may have caused a problem when a few units were returned for repair. I made a circuit change and now have a statement to be carfull installing the connector. If you force the connector in upsidedown, your unit will be permantly damaged along with breaking the connector guides.

I still think all of you should fuse that WUR to save yourself some money. My WUR did burn up the wiring inside the WUR and I had to replace the unit at $150. I still don't know why it does not blow the fuel pump fuse when that happens.

outatym2001
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

I haven’t installed the inline 3 amp fuse and holder but some day I plan to. Now I’m afraid some thing will happen to my Warm Up Regulator if I don’t install that fuse. I have actually removed the WUR then turned it over and removed the four screws holding the bottom plate on. To my surprise the insides looked like brand new. Some people have had the wiring inside the WUR burn up. I can’t remember why?

I guess looking at the attached pic, the wording facing up is the right orientation for the installation?
The location of the installation is up to you. I put the Solid State RPM Relay in the place where the original relay was. The green plastic case already has that built in clip to connect the relay to the metal component chassis which holds the relays and the fuse block.

jawn101
02-27-2012, 11:50 PM
The location of the installation is up to you. I put the Solid State RPM Relay in the place where the original relay was. The green plastic case already has that built in clip to connect the relay to the metal component chassis which holds the relays and the fuse block.

Yep, the connector is loose from the harness and can be oriented/positioned however suits you. But the easiest/cleanest thing to do is connect the relay to the harness (right side up, of course..) and clip it back to the metal tray. Keeps it secured, rattle-free and out of the way.

SIMid
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Cool, re-checking the picture of the relay, it's the white plug that can be easily put on upside down if you are not paying attention. I mean, if U remove the old one, you can put on the SSR straight away.

Anyhow, got it today, looking forward to trying it out over the weekend. :)

Bruce Johnson
02-29-2012, 10:44 PM
1+ years in both cars. One of the best electrical upgrades you can do!

Bruce

Jeff K
03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Great work Dave! This thing is awesome. The boot from priming the pump every hour for 3 hours gives my car extra gusto at start up.

Everyone should get one of these... period!

Jeff

Ryan S.
07-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I am so glad that I got Dave's relay. This thing rocks!!!
Today was 103F outside and I had to drive my car around town several times. Car started right away every time. No hot start!!! Last week when it was 105F outside, without Dave's RPM relay, my car wouldn't start.
Thanks Dave!!!

jawn101
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
I am so glad that I got Dave's relay. This thing rocks!!!
Today was 103F outside and I had to drive my car around town several times. Car started right away every time. No hot start!!! Last week when it was 105F outside, without Dave's RPM relay, my car wouldn't start.
Thanks Dave!!!

Ryan - did you enable the hot start jumper inside the relay, or did the relay fix the issue on its own in the default config? Just wondering.

Yes, this is a fantastic upgrade. Had mine for years now and still love it.

Ryan S.
07-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Ryan - did you enable the hot start jumper inside the relay, or did the relay fix the issue on its own in the default config? Just wondering.

Yes, this is a fantastic upgrade. Had mine for years now and still love it.

Yes, Dave enabled the hot start jumper for me. I think it made a huge difference. Car really starts strong. :thumbup2::thumbup2:

Bitsyncmaster
11-02-2020, 08:57 AM
The new DeLoreango RPM relay (black case, blue connector, tin plated pins) does not work with my circuit board so they are not good for cores. They spaced the pins on the connector wider than stock. It looks like they copied the footprint of the EU green case, green connector unit that also does not work with my circuit board.