PDA

View Full Version : It will be interesting to see what this D sells for

Michael
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Very nice mild custom. A little over the top interior wise, but I like the color. The only thing I think would look better is if he left the fascia trim parts black and left the side rub strips on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-DELOREAN-DMC-12-VERY-CUSTOM-1981-DELOREAN-DMC-12-GULL-WING-COUPE-/110747602939?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c9124ffb

Dangermouse
09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I have to say that I like it. I suspect that the paint job is something you really have to see to either appreciate, or hate. A video of it would be nice.

Anyone recognize what the roof console is from?

For posterity:

WARNING: If you are a “ Delorean Purist” or looking for a concourse vehicle…This car is NOT for you!!!!

Custom 1981 Delorean DMC-12. It is a 5-Speed Manual with a Center-Force Performance Clutch. Black leather on dark grey carpet interior. This particular vehicle has many features not typically found on any other Deloreans. As you can see from the photos, it is in very nice shape and it has the complete ground effects package all around with vented side scoops including the front spoiler and rear slotted valence. It runs well and EVERYTHING works. First off, it has been painted and clear-coated (Panels off) in a silver to bronze flip finish. (I never cared for the non-matching bumper thing) The bronze accents become evident in bright sunlight or while turning toward or away from the viewer. The finish has a remarkable gloss while maintaining a stainless-like appearance. Most people that see it, compliment me on the paint as the scheme is quite striking without looking like a circus car. The hood has both the grooves and the gas-flap. It is also fitted with a complete headlight, turn signal and tail-light frame-less black-out kit with laser-cut brushed stainless steel “DMC” logos. This custom-made, one of a kind blackout kit has magnetic attachment points for quick removal. In addition, this car comes equipped with a Philips “Car-in” Navigation System with wireless remote and charging cradle, an awesome Pioneer CD Stereo with Multi-CD Rack Player, DVD with surround sound, a wireless IR remote, Hidden Rear View Camera, Retractable Motorized TFT LCD Flat Screen, Voice Command Module, a custom Shallow Profile Pioneer Bass-reflex Sub-woofer, Two 6X9 3-way Speakers, Two 3” 2-way rounds in the dash, discreet tweeters and two high output "Drive" Amplifiers with a 1.0mfd Digital Display Capacitor that will blow your head off. The interior features a custom-made headliner with overhead console. (See Photo) The overhead console is equipped with digital temperature and heading compass as well as four adjustable spot lights, CD holder, Sunglasses Caddy and frosted dome light. To maintain aesthetic continuity, the LED display of the console matches that of the stock LED clock exactly. The standard 80's style seats have been replaced with multiposition, fully adjustable, very soft Italian Leather bucket seats with lumbar, wing and movable leg supports. The after-market rear-view mirror is Gentex electronic auto-dimming and has two opera map-lights built in. The security system has key-less entry, shock sensors and radar proximity sensors that will cause the alarm to emit a warning signal if someone or "something" comes too close to the vehicle. The interior is in excellent condition and there are no cracks in the upholstery, dash or doors. The center console is appointed with a custom switch array featuring brushed stainless steel graphic overlays. The carpet has been well cared for and looks great. The tires are almost new and are matching 14s/15s BF Goodrich Radial T/As. There are new brake pads all around. It is presently registered and insured with Hagarty but I unfortunately had no time to take her out for a spin this year. It’s never seen snow and spends the winters in a heated garage inside a Carcoon. The engine compartment has several modifications including extra lighting, a 12volt power port, auxiliary mechanical manifold, water temp and oil pressure gauges as well as a remote tachometer. (Handy to have during tune-ups.) Due to the heavy gizmo load, it also has a 150 amp super-heavy-duty alternator, (New last season) along with a new throttle cable assembly installed this past winter. It also is equipped with key-fob activated remote door launchers (Door openers), Door threshold lighting and battery cut-off switch. The A/C runs frosty, uses R-12, is fully charged and has no leaks. The spare tire is unused. It was frame off restored about ten years ago. The frame was stripped of the original epoxy, repaired where needed and then undercoated. I have included several photos of the chassis prior to re-attaching the body. (What photos I could still find) The exterior shots were just recently taken for the insurance company documentation. It truly is a beautiful machine and a great driver. Drives straight and true.

Chris Burns
09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I like the fact that the owner took the time to redo the frame.

Spittybug
09-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I like some of the mods, but taken in total it's over the top. I worked long and hard to get a center console in the car and finally gave up. I found a Grand Prix one that I actually installed but removed. It just chewed up too much precious head room and rear visibility; even low profile as mine was. His takes advantage of a customized head liner that actually comes down into the car more. That's how a lot of cars do it these days. I can only imagine how much it blocks rear view and adds to claustrophobia. He has his mirror mounted lower to compensate or he would see nothing but console in the rear view.

Just my eyes or does he still have the original radiator overflow? All that work and to still have that vulnerability! Seats look comfy.

Dracula
09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Very interesting, though I don't get the point of painting the car a sliver-gray. What I think would make for an interesting paint option is black body with silver rub strips and accents. Basically, inverting the current colors.

Evildeli
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I like the overhead console, but extremely dislike the seats.

Dangermouse
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Very interesting, though I don't get the point of painting the car a sliver-gray. What I think would make for an interesting paint option is black body with silver rub strips and accents. Basically, inverting the current colors.

I think it is one of those paint jobs that change hues depending on what angle you look at it from (there is a fancy name for that that escapes me at the moment) - very popular a few years ago.

Domi
09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Interesting item on the roof.

Rhsxo
09-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I like the overhead console, but extremely dislike the seats.

I agree. The headrest look horrible! The rest of the car is actually kinda cool.

dmc6960
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
That overhead console is a monstrosity out of a GM SUV.

Here is how you do it without affecting visibility and mirror placement...

http://www.entermyworld.com/cat/custom/pf/pfcustomjune04j.jpg
http://www.entermyworld.com/cat/custom/pf/pfcustomjune04h.jpg

Evildeli
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I also just noticed the original coolant bottle. You do all that custom work but neglect to change the yellowed bottle?

dvonk
09-21-2011, 10:52 PM
im not a fan of the console or the seats... but im very picky on the mods that i like. :huh:

the paint is interesting. i prefer stainless DeLoreans, but they can look good with paint... id like to see it in person.

for posterity, the topic vehicle is VIN 1559.

Ryan King
09-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I do enjoy the color. But if I were to buy it..the first thing I would do is remove all that electronic gizmo crap that he has placed all through the interior of the car.

steel-and-fire
09-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Its a pretty good modded D, but the insides feel a bit clustered. A little heavy on the interior electronics and the seats are a bit big. The interior feels like too much is going on. Though the exterior sleekness works.

My favorite modded D still is the SLAMMED D from Canada. It is a bit more theatrical, but holds its theme better. I'm not a fan of air rising suspension, but the idea of getting in the delorean and rising up is a nifty concept, but seems like a novelty...I'll take springs.

Otherwise it keeps the stainless look and even blends it with the whole car. The interior is simple but creative without going overboard.

For those that do not remember:
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/07_0010.jpg
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/07_0011.jpg

john 05141
09-22-2011, 03:57 AM
I like the roof console too. This was a topic on the old forum as well and I notice the majority does show interest in a modest roof console. But indeed it should not block rear vision. Can you just go into a GM store and buy that part?

I do enjoy these custom deloreans. does not mean I always like it, but some ideas are neat. I remember that roof compass from the previous forum too,and I have been looking where that was available.

John

stevedmc
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Did anyone notice the frame pictures? This is a frame off restoration car. Someone is going to get a bargain. I love it.

dmcjohn
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Did anyone notice the frame pictures? This is a frame off restoration car. Someone is going to get a bargain. I love it.

I wouldn't put much faith in that frame off.

From the ebay ad:

It was frame off restored about ten years ago. The frame was stripped of the original epoxy, repaired where needed and then undercoated. I have included several photos of the chassis prior to re-attaching the body

10 years can do a lot to a frame with only paint as protection. I'd imagine there were plenty DeLoreans back in 1991 with frames beginning to show the signs of serious rust.

Without proper current pictures of the frame, his 10 year old frame off is worth nothing in my opinion.

John

Dangermouse
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
OK, first listing had a high bid of $17k, but apparently didn't sell as it didn't meet the reserve price.

Relisted, with No Reserve, but bids starting at $17.5k. Interesting tactic.

dvonk
10-01-2011, 01:10 AM
whilst stumbling around the internet in a relative stupor (i.e., business as usual :8ball:), i happened across a DML post (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/message/81751) from december 2010 and realized that the current owner of VIN 1559 is Steelwings (http://dmctalk.org/member.php?568-Steelwings) (aka Sal, the builder of the Flux Capacitor Storage Doors (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1229-Flux-Capacitor-Storage-Doors.-One-Last-Run....)).

anyone know why he is selling his D?