PDA

View Full Version : Placed an offer on a Delorean today

About time
12-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Long story short, a friend of mine past away suddenly and his mother is liquidating his estate. Everything is being done through the courts as while there were substantial assets there was also some debt as one would expect with a man in his 40's.

The Delorean is one of the assets being offered to friends and family first to avoid the action expenses as well as maybe give the car a home to someone close.

I will tell you it's a California car in very good condition last time I drove it (4 years ago), the car did sit some in recent times due to his illness but I have no reason to doubt it's current condition warrants any major concerns.

Being it's the holidays and all I don't expect any real action to be taken until the 3rd of Jan at the soonest, once a winning bid is awarded the car, paperwork, transporting the car etc has to all take place, so I'm figuring 1 month time table at best.

I'll update as I can if members here show an interest in the process.

Peace.

By the way, it's an 81, 5 speed, grey interior, no gas flap hood. Engine upgraded, not by DMC but from all I know pretty much to the specs of a stage II. He used a shop in LA that does lots of Delorean work.

Riley88
12-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Long story short, a friend of mine past away suddenly and his mother is liquidating his estate. Everything is being done through the courts as while there were substantial assets there was also some debt as one would expect with a man in his 40's.

The Delorean is one of the assets being offered to friends and family first to avoid the action expenses as well as maybe give the car a home to someone close.

I will tell you it's a California car in very good condition last time I drove it (4 years ago), the car did sit some in recent times due to his illness but I have no reason to doubt it's current condition warrants any major concerns.

Being it's the holidays and all I don't expect any real action to be taken until the 3rd of Jan at the soonest, once a winning bid is awarded the car, paperwork, transporting the car etc has to all take place, so I'm figuring 1 month time table at best.

I'll update as I can if members here show an interest in the process.

Peace.

By the way, it's an 81, 5 speed, grey interior, no gas flap hood. Engine upgraded, not by DMC but from all I know pretty much to the specs of a stage II. He used a shop in LA that does lots of Delorean work.

keep us updated sounds very interesting! 81 so I will assume it has a grooved hood, im interested in the engine work. Post photos if you win!

David T
12-28-2018, 08:55 PM
If you are the lucky winner expect to have to change all of the fluids and filters, battery, and tires at a minimum. With California being so strict in it's emissions regs I wonder what "engine work" was or can be done and still keep the car legal in CA. This kind of situation (disposing of a deceased's estate) can take a while so don't expect much anytime soon. Among the items you want to get along with the car are:
A "clean" Title
2 sets of keys (depending on how early an '81 it might have as many as 3 keys per set. A door key, an ignition key, and a fuel tank key).
A spare tire along with the jack and lug wrench in a roll in the forward luggage compartment
Floor mats
Whatever documents, spare parts, and tools, cover, and other accessories you can find.
In the meantime ask to inspect the car so you can make a proper bid. Check the glass, the S/S panels, the interior, the frame, etc. Even better if you can test drive it but it probably doesn't have insurance on it. If you have the time, offer to "clean it up". That may get you an "inside track" and motivate them to accept your bid even if it isn't the highest. They may like the idea that it will be taken care of by an enthusiast. Put air in the tires, fresh gas in the tank, charge up the battery and wipe the car down inside and out. In the meantime you can get your finances in order. Budget more than just the money to purchase the car, you need to set aside enough to fix it up too. Don't forget all of the fees to MV, taxes, and insurance. Good Luck!

Jimmyvonviggle
12-29-2018, 12:51 AM
It’s too bad about your friend, in your 40s is way too young.

DMC-81
12-29-2018, 06:54 PM
It’s too bad about your friend, in your 40s is way too young.

+1

About time
01-02-2019, 04:50 PM
If you are the lucky winner expect to have to change all of the fluids and filters, battery, and tires at a minimum. With California being so strict in it's emissions regs I wonder what "engine work" was or can be done and still keep the car legal in CA. This kind of situation (disposing of a deceased's estate) can take a while so don't expect much anytime soon. Among the items you want to get along with the car are:
A "clean" Title
2 sets of keys (depending on how early an '81 it might have as many as 3 keys per set. A door key, an ignition key, and a fuel tank key).
A spare tire along with the jack and lug wrench in a roll in the forward luggage compartment
Floor mats
Whatever documents, spare parts, and tools, cover, and other accessories you can find.
In the meantime ask to inspect the car so you can make a proper bid. Check the glass, the S/S panels, the interior, the frame, etc. Even better if you can test drive it but it probably doesn't have insurance on it. If you have the time, offer to "clean it up". That may get you an "inside track" and motivate them to accept your bid even if it isn't the highest. They may like the idea that it will be taken care of by an enthusiast. Put air in the tires, fresh gas in the tank, charge up the battery and wipe the car down inside and out. In the meantime you can get your finances in order. Budget more than just the money to purchase the car, you need to set aside enough to fix it up too. Don't forget all of the fees to MV, taxes, and insurance. Good Luck!

Thanks for the great advice.

Being this car is being offered to "friends and family" first the mom knows who enjoyed the car and who just liked the novelty of it. Along with my offer was a letter, a photo (3) of my garage along with our other cars (C-300, MKZ, Plymouth Prowler), In the letter and subsequent phone conversations it became evident there are 3 front runners for the car, I am among those 3, my best friend is one of the others and I am pretty sure a family member is the 3rd person. I doubt the car will go to the highest bidder unless the highest bidder also happens to be the one that will keep the car within the circle as well.

I think I came up with a very creative offer, which I will disclose once the bidding is over and the car is delivered, wherever that may be. The problem and benefit (to me) is that not everyone has the cash needed to pull this off around the holidays and all bids were made via certified bank check.

I actually made 2 offers, one was a straight cash for car deal, the other was the creative one, I actually got a phone response from the mom on that offer and am feeling comfortable at this point, not overly confidant being I'm not family, but comfortable.

Thank you for offering up the words of support for my friend, it was a sad ending for a fine man, generous, charming, and humble. It's a shame what life throws at some people. I hope whoever gets to hold his car treats it as he had, Eric was a good man.

David T
01-02-2019, 09:28 PM
My best advice is to be patient. Even if the family makes a decision the lawyer(s) must OK it. That can take a while. Especially if someone challenges the decision. That's why I said you could offer to make sure it is kept in good condition in the meantime.

About time
01-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Just to update anyone following this thread, I just spoke with the mother, she is meeting with family this weekend and should be making a choice during this time. She didn't give me any encouraging nod or discouraging shrug, just a matter of fact type call. Kind of scared me off a little being my offer is not cash heavy.

I don't really know what her ultimate goal is for the car, but I'm giving it my best in hopes she'll see it as I do. Fingers crossed, it's going to be a long wait for me until next Monday.

eight8toy
01-10-2019, 10:29 PM
My thoughts are that since family is involved, that's who will end up with the car. Easier to avoid family drama that way. Good luck though.

Michael
01-10-2019, 11:41 PM
In a case like this and making a lot of assumptions, I would guess at least one member of her family will overvalue it and want it, only to flip it for what he/she perceives to be a quick buck. Whenever someone with wealth dies and has extended family, a collector car will get at least one member seeing dollar signs. I would even go as far to see a fight/bidding war over it between the members of the family.

SamHill
01-11-2019, 12:04 AM
An employee of BHCC just sat straight up in bed, his ears ringing.

Josh
01-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Im not sure why anyone would post this kind of thing publicly on the internet.
You are getting ahead of yourself. Be patient.
It seems like it will likely go to a family member though.

About time
01-11-2019, 05:52 PM
While I and my other friend are the outsiders, so to speak, I am lucky enough to have the cash handy right now, I don't know about the family member and being this is being sold to pay some of the bills, cash is king. Again, I don't know the situation of the family member, but they weren't as well off as my friend was.

The mother is placing a certain amount of sentimental value on the car, it's history and it's future. I'm hoping my correspondence to her will sway her in my direction.

Bear in mind some of the facts are being left out or altered a little being I don't know who on here may know the car and or family. Once the car is "sold/won" I'll post the vin# and fill I some blanks.

Yes I understand it's premature of me to join and post as I have but I am excited about the prospect of owning this fine example of a car and carrying on the legacy of my buddy.

Peace

David T
01-11-2019, 09:28 PM
It sounds like more than one person is going to be making the decision. While you may have some of the decision makers "on your side" it may not be enough. As I said, be patient and if it is meant to be it will be yours soon enough. Having tried to buy things from estates and divorce sales, it can be an emotional roller coaster and you never know who is really making the decisions or why. It may turn out the car will go to someone who has no interest in it and then maybe you can buy it from them.

About time
01-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Whoa woo! Just told today that the car is mine! I'm cautiously optimistic as until the title is in my hand and car in my driveway with NJ plates on it anything can happen.

My friends mom called and said the car is mine, that she'd deposit the check tomorrow and proceed to send the title to me. The problem I have (not the end of the world) is I'm leaving on the 21st for a long planned 10 day vacation out of the country. So she's going to have to hold the car at least until Feb 1st.

In the mean time if any of you care to share the name of a reliable shipping company I'd gladly look into them, shipping would be from northern Ca. to northern NJ.

I also am concerned that during the time it takes to get the title from the attorney and on it's way to me, arms may get twisted and minds changed, but it is the situation I'm in and no sense worrying over something I have no control over.

Mom did say my rather unique offer is what put the deal in my favor. The short of the offer is this, I offered her, her family and then other friends (all named) first right of refusal if I ever decided to sell the car and for the same price I paid for the car.

I see this as a win, win. I get to use the car and will recoup my cost, at a minimum and if no family or friend has the money I can then sell for a profit if one presents itself. One step at a time for the moment, hoping to have the title in hand before I depart for my trip, fingers crossed.

Rich
01-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Whoa woo! Just told today that the car is mine! I'm cautiously optimistic as until the title is in my hand and car in my driveway with NJ plates on it anything can happen.

In the mean time if any of you care to share the name of a reliable shipping company I'd gladly look into them, shipping would be from northern Ca. to northern NJ.

A. Congrats on getting past Step 1! And thanks for sharing the happy details about what seems to have swung the deal your way, too.
B. There are half a dozen good outfits - and many dozens of bad ones - for shipping cars in NorthAm.
C. Do NOT use a broker - only deal directly with the shipper. You asked for a reliable outfit - this one is among those with a v. good reputation with the collector car crowd: https://reliable-carriers.com/

DMC-81
01-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Congrats on securing the car. Good luck with the paperwork and delivery. :thumbup:

David T
01-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Take it step-by-step. Get the Title. Apply for and obtain a Title in your name. Insure the car. Ship the car. I used Horeseless Carriage. Not the cheapest but one of the most reputable. It should cost you about $1200. If it is significantly less by someone else you don't want to use them. As mentioned you DO NOT want to use a broker where the car may be carried by multiple shippers and loaded and unloaded many times. Because the car is a non-runner with dead tires it may cost a bit more. I can understand giving right of first refusal but not only should you recoup your cost to obtain the car, you will be spending a significant amount to fix it up along with the shipping. You should get all of that back (maybe not the shipping). If possible get the Title and go to MV before your trip. Once the car is Titled in your name they cannot apply for a duplicate Title and sell it to someone else. If they do, you have a case to force them to reverse the sale and sell you the car. Once you get it Tilted in your name you should get insurance on it right away. With the Title and insurance, a couple of phone calls and maybe you can have the car delivered right after you return from your trip. When you arrange shipping try to get anything that goes along with the car too like spare parts, books, cover, keys, etc. As for getting the Title quickly, it should be Fedexed so it is tracked and can't get lost. For a bit more it can be here in a day. You've got a week to put it all together before you leave. Try to get the lawyer to get the Title signed and sent out to you ASAP. Offer to pay the Fedex if necessary. You could have the Title by the 15th maybe and then go to DMV the 16th. Still leaves 3 days to get insurance and shipping set up. You will probably need some pictures of the car for insurance. Get one of each side, front and rear, the speedometer (with the mileage) and interior. Also the VIN plate. Congratulations.

About time
01-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Take it step-by-step. Get the Title. Apply for and obtain a Title in your name. Insure the car. Ship the car. I used Horeseless Carriage. Not the cheapest but one of the most reputable. It should cost you about $1200. If it is significantly less by someone else you don't want to use them. As mentioned you DO NOT want to use a broker where the car may be carried by multiple shippers and loaded and unloaded many times. Because the car is a non-runner with dead tires it may cost a bit more. I can understand giving right of first refusal but not only should you recoup your cost to obtain the car, you will be spending a significant amount to fix it up along with the shipping. You should get all of that back (maybe not the shipping). If possible get the Title and go to MV before your trip. Once the car is Titled in your name they cannot apply for a duplicate Title and sell it to someone else. If they do, you have a case to force them to reverse the sale and sell you the car. Once you get it Tilted in your name you should get insurance on it right away. With the Title and insurance, a couple of phone calls and maybe you can have the car delivered right after you return from your trip. When you arrange shipping try to get anything that goes along with the car too like spare parts, books, cover, keys, etc. As for getting the Title quickly, it should be Fedexed so it is tracked and can't get lost. For a bit more it can be here in a day. You've got a week to put it all together before you leave. Try to get the lawyer to get the Title signed and sent out to you ASAP. Offer to pay the Fedex if necessary. You could have the Title by the 15th maybe and then go to DMV the 16th. Still leaves 3 days to get insurance and shipping set up. You will probably need some pictures of the car for insurance. Get one of each side, front and rear, the speedometer (with the mileage) and interior. Also the VIN plate. Congratulations.

Not sure where I gave the impression the car was a non starter. The battery was dead, but took a charge, the tires were low but not dead. I appreciate the advice, but I'm not about to rush the mom or lawyer on this. Too much going on in my life leading up to this trip and I don't want to put mom off. I've played this well so far, I'm going to let it unfold at it's own pace for now.

Parzival
01-13-2019, 10:23 PM
I know how you feel. I went through all of this in October. I was buying a car out of state without the time to travel there.
I set up an escrow though a law firm that held my money until they received the title, and then released the funds to the seller. It was still a few weeks until the car would be shipped to me from Illinois to FLorida.

One thing to be ready for, I could not register the vehicle or apply for a new title until the vehicle could have a vin check here in my state (Florida) I could however get it fully insured through Hagerty. P.S. you have to have proof of insurance to register the car.

Next was transport. I booked directly through an independent transporter. (I spoke directly to the driver, who sent me tons of pics of his enclosed rig, and even one with a Delorean loaded up as he had moved one before.... Well... he canceled on me without notice. the seller was expecting him and he never showed, and when I called he said "oh yeah.... I decided not to do a florida trip". Well thanks for telling me! At that rate I did what people here have already said not to do. I went through a broker, told them I was looking for an enclosed transport. They found a driver to pick it up the following monday. I got a call late Wednesday from the driver telling me he was ready to drop the car off. (Oh man! the moment is here!) the driver unloaded a beautiful 72 vet that was behind my delorean and off came my 1981 delorean DMC12. The driver said he wanted to buy one after having moved mine a few times during the trip! lol
It all worked out, and even though it went well, I never want to have to ship the car again!
I don't think brokers are bad, I spoke to a few before booking though one, but it is an extra link in the chain, or in the case of a mishap an extra kink in the chain. The thing is, a broker has access to a lot of drivers and rigs, so if you need a quick turn around they have the resources to do it. If you're dealing with a company with a finite number of drivers and rigs you may be waiting if they are tied up. Ether way you go Insure the car before transport.

David T
01-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Sorry if I got the impression it was on flats and a non-runner. I understand your hesitation but I was just saying it is possible you could have it all arranged and delivered upon your return from your trip. While all shipping brokers are not bad, enough people have had bad experiences that it really isn't worth the few bucks you save if the car gets damaged or lost. Because you are asking to move over a "main route", Ca to NJ, it is heavily traveled by most shippers at least once a week. That will get you good service and a lot of choices. Horseless Carriage is based in NJ too so IMHO they are a good choice. Get some prices and compare. Try to have your own insurance on it too before it gets shipped.

Nicholas R
01-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Congrats on getting your car!

Mom did say my rather unique offer is what put the deal in my favor. The short of the offer is this, I offered her, her family and then other friends (all named) first right of refusal if I ever decided to sell the car and for the same price I paid for the car.

I see this as a win, win. I get to use the car and will recoup my cost, at a minimum and if no family or friend has the money I can then sell for a profit if one presents itself. One step at a time for the moment, hoping to have the title in hand before I depart for my trip, fingers crossed.

This is an interesting agreement. Is it legal in any way or just a good faith agreement? Is it the exact price you paid them for it, or the amount of money you have in it? Just curious because there is no doubt you'll end up spending money on the car. Not a dig at the car's condition or anything, it's just a fact. This is especially true if you decide to perform any upgrades to the car.

Congrats again on getting the car :thumbup:

About time
01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Congrats on getting your car!

This is an interesting agreement. Is it legal in any way or just a good faith agreement? Is it the exact price you paid them for it, or the amount of money you have in it? Just curious because there is no doubt you'll end up spending money on the car. Not a dig at the car's condition or anything, it's just a fact. This is especially true if you decide to perform any upgrades to the car.

Congrats again on getting the car :thumbup:

The agreement is all handshake at this point but I am willing to put it in writing. All that would be needed for me is to send a certified letter to each person stating that I'm selling the car, they have 90 days in which to deposit a check in my name and arrange shipping. If they don't come across I can sell to the public.

I figure whatever amount of upkeep I put into the car is just the cost of owning a car, I would not try recouping that amount. I could get screwed and the transmission might be leaking but that's the gamble, also bear in mind, I did not pay what I think the car is actually worth.

If this car is in the same condition as when I last drove it she's a 25-35K car, Stage II, new seats and other upgrades. Grey interior 5 speed.

At this point I'm in at 15K so if I need a new battery, tires, oil change trans fluid change I'm still at a solid price.

Some of you might be saying there's no way I got a 25K or better car for 15K but I was smart, I listened to the mother and got creative, expressed my love of the car, reminded her of times with her son and in short was the one with the money. Her "family member" wanted it for nothing. The other person that was thought of as a main bidder couldn't come up with the money, he had a big Christmas and was short on cash. Others talked the talk, but in the end came up short when an offer was made.

To top it off, I'm negotiating with one of the other potential bidders now, he was impressed with my creativity and he wants to send me a check for 8K so that he would be person 1 that I call if I ever sell her. For now I told him no, until I actually own the car. But I do like thinking outside the box, and this is one time it seemed to work well.

One I have the car I'll be sure to test drive, and report the short comings I find as well as a general review. The only thing I see me changing is to upgrade the sound system, a couple of 6"X9"s in the rear, a small amp and new head unit will do nicely.

Tick tock, fingers crossed this gets done and I'm driving a new D come mid Feb. (Please, no SNOW!)

Michael
01-14-2019, 04:33 PM
If the car is indeed yours there is no reason whatsoever to stipulate any written contracts directing your future choices with the car. You have no idea what you may or may not spend on the car in the future, nor do you know if prices will change. Imagine if for some reason, values went up signifigantly and you wanted to sell, would you sell a (again just thinking out loud) 60k car for 15k to anyone? What if you had to say replace the trans or engine? That's the best part of 10k and you should not paint yourself into a corner with resale terms. It's your car, and if she doesn't require a contract, then don't mention it.

Oh and congrats!!! I'm know you would have chosen to be an owner under different circumstances but I am sure you will do right by your friend.

opethmike
01-14-2019, 04:44 PM
The first, and most important step, of DeLorean ownership is to give Michael a long hug.

About time
01-14-2019, 05:03 PM
If the car is indeed yours there is no reason whatsoever to stipulate any written contracts directing your future choices with the car. You have no idea what you may or may not spend on the car in the future, nor do you know if prices will change. Imagine if for some reason, values went up signifigantly and you wanted to sell, would you sell a (again just thinking out loud) 60k car for 15k to anyone? What if you had to say replace the trans or engine? That's the best part of 10k and you should not paint yourself into a corner with resale terms. It's your car, and if she doesn't require a contract, then don't mention it.

Oh and congrats!!! I'm know you would have chosen to be an owner under different circumstances but I am sure you will do right by your friend.

I agree, no reason to pigeon hole myself into a corner, but my word is very important to me and a deal is a deal. Now if I get this car and it's a 15K car and was misrepresented to me that changes things. But if this car is everything I remember it to be I will honor my word and offer it at 15K if I sell her.

If she's then advertised/burning oil or the tranny is slipping etc. I'll offer her right back to all interested parties. I assume the risk of my blowing an engine or some other expensive item. The family members don't really have the money needed to buy this car from me, the mother has it but doesn't want the car (she's in her 70's), so that leaves close friends. There is something to be said for keeping it in the fold.

Mike you're a thinker, I'm sure you can come with a creative way to offer the car for sale to friends/family at a time they can't afford it. (if I ever wanted to go that route.) Freeing me up to sell it as I please.

About time
01-14-2019, 05:04 PM
I do wish there were a "LIKE" option on this forum, many comments I'd like ton acknowledge but don't want to make an entire post to just give a thumbs up.

Michael
01-14-2019, 05:39 PM
I agree, no reason to pigeon hole myself into a corner, but my word is very important to me and a deal is a deal. Now if I get this car and it's a 15K car and was misrepresented to me that changes things. But if this car is everything I remember it to be I will honor my word and offer it at 15K if I sell her.

If she's then advertised/burning oil or the tranny is slipping etc. I'll offer her right back to all interested parties. I assume the risk of my blowing an engine or some other expensive item. The family members don't really have the money needed to buy this car from me, the mother has it but doesn't want the car (she's in her 70's), so that leaves close friends. There is something to be said for keeping it in the fold.

Mike you're a thinker, I'm sure you can come with a creative way to offer the car for sale to friends/family at a time they can't afford it. (if I ever wanted to go that route.) Freeing me up to sell it as I please.

Ohhh flattery will get you far here!!!

I keep a record of what I have spent on mine. I have it organized into three catergories: maintainance, repairs, and modifications( things like sway bar strut or stainless steel label kit). I realize the first two costs should be looked at as the price to pay for driving and enjoying your car and should not be looked at as recoverable especially over the long run, but you should at least keep a total to initally get the car road worthy and presentable(tires, service, cosmetic issues, etc.) and you should at the very least recover that if you ever decide to sell. Changing values will probably not move a lot over your tenure, but maybe once you get it the way you want it (that is if it even needs anything at all), check NADA, place a value on your car and if the time to sell ever comes, see if the same car in the same condition is still the same value and add that percentage to your sales price. Say your car when ready would be valued at 30k, say you paid 18k for it to get it to that point, you said you would sell it back for what you paid but if that car's value climbs drastically, that would not in any way be fair to you. Recheck the NADA value of the same car and if it has risen to 33k instead of 30k, add 10% to your sale price. If it shows your car as being worth 40k, add 33.3% to your price. That would allow the resale back to the family to be fair to both you and allow you to keep your word to the family.

That's just an idea, you can probably build on it with more thought or even think of something completely different but personally I don't like the idea of boxing yourself in because if values go down the family will not give you above market for it. It's almost a win/win for them. You are buying the car and like you said, not only taking chances but putting in effort, time and money.

Michael
01-14-2019, 05:59 PM
The first, and most important step, of DeLorean ownership is to give Michael a long hug.

It's in the tech manual

Parzival
01-14-2019, 09:12 PM
It's in the tech manual

Now that's funny!

Will you settle for a high five?

Michael
01-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Now that's funny!

Will you settle for a high five?

No SpecialT hacks allowed here

David T
01-14-2019, 10:10 PM
What you *could* do is offer a "Right of First Refusal" meaning if you decide to sell the car and get an offer of $30,000 from a potential buyer, the family can have the car if they match it. If they happen to be in California and they have to get the car shipped back they may not feel it is worth it and let it go. That would be fairer. If you got it for $15K and it is in as good a condition as you say, you got a great deal even if you have to spend a few bucks on shipping and fixing it up.

NJP548
01-15-2019, 10:51 AM

My friends mom called and said the car is mine, that she'd deposit the check tomorrow and proceed to send the title to me. The problem I have (not the end of the world) is I'm leaving on the 21st for a long planned 10 day vacation out of the country. So she's going to have to hold the car at least until Feb 1st.

I also am concerned that during the time it takes to get the title from the attorney and on it's way to me, arms may get twisted and minds changed, but it is the situation I'm in and no sense worrying over something I have no control over.

Congrats on getting the car!

I just wanted to help with recommending a shipping company. I had 4 Corners Transport ship my DeLorean from Southern California to Long Island, NY in December 2016 in an enclosed tractor trailer for $1454. It would have been about $400 cheaper to use an open carrier, but I decided enclosed was better. It took about 7 days to ship the car coast-to-coast.

https://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com/

I worked with Ellen. The car was on the same truck coast-to-coast, and the driver even covered my car in plastic for the duration of the trip.

-Nick

David T
01-15-2019, 02:16 PM
I used enclosed transport too and recommend it BUT. When the car was delivered it was COVERED with a very fine brown sand inside and out, probably from the desert. First thing I had to do was wash and vacuum the car. Enclosed transport does not mean hermetically sealed. Even if the car is transported in the same trailer by the same driver it is still possible the car was loaded and unloaded a few times to load and unload other cars. Depending on when and where the truck is going it can take as little as 3 days and as long as 2 weeks. Unless you are lucky enough to be the last one loaded and the first one unloaded it can take a while. Get some quotes and compare pricing and service. Among the top ones are Horseless Carriage, Passport. Intercity, Reliable, Premier, Autobahn, among many others. If they don't offer tracking it probably means it is a broker and they may use multiple carriers and they don't want you to see it. The "big" guys are proud of their service and WANT you to see how they are doing. Of course premium service deserves premium charges so they will never be as cheap as fly-by-night movers. Since you are only doing this one time, saving a few bucks is not worth the aggravation of losing or damaging the car (IMHO).

About time
01-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys, I'm following up on horseless carriage and will check out four corners too.

ritztoys
01-15-2019, 04:00 PM
About Time, Do your homework carefully, I shipped my car from Hilo,HI and it didn't arrive @ my home for almost 5 weeks! :jawdrop:

This was 25+ years ago, before any kind of tracking was available and the carrier had no way of contacting the driver(or so they told me back in the day)

Go for enclosed(mine wasn't) trailer, insured with tracking and be very patient. I was close to heart attack material!! Car did arrive in fine shape, never again....

David T
01-15-2019, 04:17 PM
About Time, Do your homework carefully, I shipped my car from Hilo,HI and it didn't arrive @ my home for almost 5 weeks! :jawdrop:

This was 25+ years ago, before any kind of tracking was available and the carrier had no way of contacting the driver(or so they told me back in the day)

Go for enclosed(mine wasn't) trailer, insured with tracking and be very patient. I was close to heart attack material!! Car did arrive in fine shape, never again....

Because your shipping required a boat, a big chunk of the job had to done by a third party (the boat) and your shipper was dependent on them and their schedule. That is exactly why you want the least # of people to handle the car, to minimize the chances of things going wrong. In your case it was unavoidable because of the location. 25 years ago we didn't have cell phones but even so drivers were supposed to call in at certain intervals to check in with their dispatcher so they can have some idea what's going on. The DMA a while back had an event and we used a ferry. You had to get to it before a certain time and if there wasn't enough room you waited till the next ferry! If it was the last one of the day, too bad. As for insurance, get it on the car and you may not have to pay a premium to also get it from the shipper. You need insurance on the car anyway.

eight8toy
01-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Open trailer worked fine for mine. Don't feel obligated to do enclosed. These aren't Ferrari's lol.
Left on a Thursday in TN and arrived Sat in San Diego.

OverlandMan
01-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Open trailer worked fine for mine. Don't feel obligated to do enclosed. These aren't Ferrari's lol.

Yep, agreed. I used an open trailer to get mine from Phoenix to Dallas. Took 3 days.

NJP548
01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Yep, agreed. I used an open trailer to get mine from Phoenix to Dallas. Took 3 days.

I was nervous with a cross-country trip and opted for the added protection. It was a nice touch that the driver wrapped my car in plastic though . None of the other cars had plastic around it.

59031 59032

-Nick

Michael
01-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Mehh. I flew down to Boca Raton and drove mine almost 1,000 miles back home. It was a very fun road trip that I will always have fond memories of.

NJP548
01-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Mehh. I flew down to Boca Raton and drove mine almost 1,000 miles back home. It was a very fun road trip that I will always have fond memories of.

Mehh.. didn't feel like dragging my 6 week old daughter on a 3000 mile road trip. Sounds like fun though!

-Nick

Stainless
01-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Similar for me too. I originally tried shipping it, but mine was such an unusual route that I couldn't get anyone to take the job in a reasonable time frame. So I flew out and drove it home 1,600 miles over a weekend. Didn't even miss a day of work. Such a memorable road trip.

Parzival
01-16-2019, 12:18 PM

I went enclosed. The Delorean means more to me then any ferrari.
Sure they're expensive, but the delorean is special.

ssdelorean
01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Shipping cars across country - pfft. It's like those people who carry their dogs. Their legs work let them walk. Poor little mutts never get to run around and play! :)

About time
01-16-2019, 03:11 PM
I thought about flying out and driving back, did that with the Prowler, flew into Chicago and made the drive home. Problem here is, it's a 3,000 mile run, I'm not 100% certain about the car, and time is a factor if I drive.

So to avoid any lost time at work, having my wife go to work late one day to bring our daughter to school, shipping is the way to go. Nice stories, I did love the drive from Il. to NJ.

David T
01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Don't discount the weather this time of year. On a trip that long the chance of getting stuck in bad weather or being delayed is very high. Most of us have jobs and can't afford that kind of time. When you figure what an airline ticket is worth, your time and road expenses, is it really worth it? Also don't forget, to do the trip you need to have it Titled, registered, plated and insured. Then there is the unknown of the mechanical condition and if you break down in the middle of nowhere and NOW you want to have it trailered, it is going to cost a lot. If you have mileage limitations on your insurance you just blew that up. Most people will decide to have it transported, that is the safe, predictable choice. And finally, if you bought a low mileage car do you really want to put all of that mileage on it? There will be plenty of opportunity to enjoy the car once you get your baby home safe.

OverlandMan
01-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Shipping cars across country - pfft. It's like those people who carry their dogs. Their legs work let them walk. Poor little mutts never get to run around and play! :)

not every new owners car will make a roadtrip...

mine was a driving example but old tires, cooling system issues, and no AC = hard pass for an initial road trip home.

eight8toy
01-17-2019, 10:21 AM
not every new owners car will make a roadtrip...

Exactly, I roadtrip'd another car but that was a short distance that I could fly up on a Sat morning and make it home by Sunday night. Anything further and you have to start requesting time off from work which then starts to exceed the cost of paying for a shipper.

Plus this time of year with the weather driving across the country would be too risky. Potential snow and rain in a car that very likely will have some undisclosed door seal leak, no thanks.

About time
01-17-2019, 02:11 PM
The next step has been taken.

Got an E-mail from the lawyer last night, the check has cleared and the title will soon follow (his words will be in the mail by weeks end). Once I have title in hand I will call the shipping company and confirm dates for pickup, looks like I'm going with horseless carriage but not set in stone.

Now I just hope I don't wish away my vacation waiting for the Delorean.

Thanks again for the thoughts you guys are putting into this process, David T, weather (as you pointed out) is a major concern when driving across country, rear wheel drive is another aspect to think about when snow and ice come into play.

dn010
01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Hey! I happen to think the D is a very good car in the snow. It always outdid my wife's Nissan FWD Altima every time. I got bitten in the end when the road salt ate through my frame though.

David T
01-17-2019, 09:42 PM
When it arrives take plenty of pictures. You will be impressed with the equipment shippers like HC use, like the elevator on the back to lift the cars in and out. No ramps to drive the car on!

About time
02-04-2019, 02:36 PM
To say I'm frustrated is an understatement, the sale is still being held up by a court appointed probate referee. I was promised an answer by Friday past but still no word. I'm being reassured by the fiduciary that all is well but am starting to get pissed off.

Tick tock Sorry no positive updates yet.

David T
02-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Have patience, I warned you it probably wasn't going to be easy but it sounds like it is just about done. It would be hard for the probate referee to turn down a cash sale offer made in good faith. He would need a good reason. He may just be doing his job and has to sign off on it.

About time
02-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Happy news! Per the Fiduciary, the sale has been approved, title will follow and I have been given the go ahead to arrange shipping!

Once the car is picked up I'll update here in case you're interested or have advice to offer.

DMC-81
02-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Hooray! Congrats!

David T
02-07-2019, 09:02 PM
As you arrange shipping remember to place insurance on the car too. Besides getting the Title you should ask for a Bill of Sale. Your DMV may require it and it is easier to get it now while you are still negotiating the sale rather than later. Be sure to get any bits and things that go along with the car.

About time
02-07-2019, 09:34 PM
As you arrange shipping remember to place insurance on the car too. Besides getting the Title you should ask for a Bill of Sale. Your DMV may require it and it is easier to get it now while you are still negotiating the sale rather than later. Be sure to get any bits and things that go along with the car.

I insured the car last week when I got back from the trip in case the deal went through and I didn't get notified, having to pay an extra week for insurance isn't so bad and it gave me comfort knowing I was covered just in case.

I e-mailed the Fiduciary asking for a bill of sale along with the title, signed, and the approval documents from the court as well (just in case). Fingers crossed if I'm not too busy tomorrow I can square away the shipping paperwork, we'll see, if not Monday maybe.

Thanks for the advice. I also asked them to charge the battery so that it will start for the shipper/driver.

About time
02-13-2019, 08:44 AM
Shipping company says they are on schedule to pick up car in California today, preliminary delivery date set for 2-20-19. It's been slow but getting done, another day closer.

OverlandMan
02-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Shipping company says they are on schedule to pick up car in California today, preliminary delivery date set for 2-20-19. It's been slow but getting done, another day closer.

https://media.giphy.com/media/111ebonMs90YLu/giphy.gif

NJP548
02-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Congrats!

That time range seems right. Took about 8 days to get my car from Southern CA to Long Island.

-Nick

About time
02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Congrats!

That time range seems right. Took about 8 days to get my car from Southern CA to Long Island.

-Nick

I'm hoping it takes a couple of extra days, they picked it up yesterday at 12:45 PM, I'm hoping for a Saturday delivery so I can be home all day if needed. During the week I'm out the door by noon, or 1 PM the latest.

I'm really hoping they show up in the morning so I can video it being offloaded and then take proper possession, before heading out.

I told the delivery company of my hours but I can't see them holding off delivery until the next morning if they are ready to drop it at 5 PM on a Wednesday.

NJP548
02-14-2019, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping it takes a couple of extra days, they picked it up yesterday at 12:45 PM, I'm hoping for a Saturday delivery so I can be home all day if needed. During the week I'm out the door by noon, or 1 PM the latest.

I'm really hoping they show up in the morning so I can video it being offloaded and then take proper possession, before heading out.

I told the delivery company of my hours but I can't see them holding off delivery until the next morning if they are ready to drop it at 5 PM on a Wednesday.

I actually took off the day they were to deliver my car because I didn't know exactly when it was going to be. They driver gave me an approximate day a few days ahead of time.

Good luck!

-Nick

David T
02-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Most shipping companies wil work with you to schedule delivery because they need someone to accept delivery. They don't want to just drop it in your driveway and leave. They usually have several cars they deliver to an area so they can just rearrange and do another car and then do you earlier or later. Call enough in advance and schedule so they can juggle their deliveries to meet your needs. Best to receive it in the daylight in good weather if possible.

About time
02-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Most shipping companies wil work with you to schedule delivery because they need someone to accept delivery. They don't want to just drop it in your driveway and leave. They usually have several cars they deliver to an area so they can just rearrange and do another car and then do you earlier or later. Call enough in advance and schedule so they can juggle their deliveries to meet your needs. Best to receive it in the daylight in good weather if possible.

Thanks, I've told them it has to be an AM delivery, just didn't know they'd honor the time frame like that. I'll be sure to contact them again come either Saturday or Monday the latest to reaffirm the date and time frame.

I still haven't really tried posting photos yet, I've got a few in my phone prior to it being picked up, but will work on posting them soon'ish. (I hate tech stuff)

Back to weather conditions, I'll take it whatever the conditions are, I just hope it's not snowing. I know rain could mask condition of the body but I don't mind getting wet to look things over well.

Michael
02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm actually excited for you. I can pretty much guarantee that Friday will be a sleepless night for you. Be sure to video or take lots of pictures of the day, you will want to look back on those years from now. I wish I had taken more video and pics of my drive back home.

About time
02-14-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm actually excited for you. I can pretty much guarantee that Friday will be a sleepless night for you. Be sure to video or take lots of pictures of the day, you will want to look back on those years from now. I wish I had taken more video and pics of my drive back home.

Thanks, I just looked at the weather forecast for all of next week, not one single day without rain in it. I'll be polishing up the lens of my phone in anticipation of delivery day.

About time
02-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Got an E-Mail notification from the car hauling company today, "Car to be delivered today." I told them I would not be home after 12 noon, they did not respond.

Luckily and unlucky my wife is home from school/work as a teacher due to snow. Yes our governor declared a state of emergency due to the fact that it was going to snow today and we expect a whopping
1-3". In any event I told my wife if it arrives to video them taking it off the truck and dropping her in the driveway. I also told her to clear off any snow that might be on the car and take photos of every body part etc.

I really hope they wait until tomorrow when it expected to be in the mid 50's and sunny.

About time
02-22-2019, 09:05 AM
So they didn't deliver it in the snow, they didn't call me to say the driver had stopped for the day and that I could stand down. But I then figure it will be delivered the next day, nope, never comes, and I don't even get a call. I get someone on the phone and they set me up for Saturday delivery, SATURDAY! OK they can't get here before noon so I'll wait until Saturday.

I get a call a few minutes ago, "If your home we'd like to drop the car off today." Sure drop the car, I'm home until noon. "Oh can't make it until 1 PM."

Then bring it on Saturday like we agreed.

"We don't deliver on Saturday."

WTF, I spoke with someone yesterday and was told a Saturday delivery, no question!

"Well let me get back to you."

I'm not going to mention the name of this company until after the car is delivered, but my god do they suck!

dn010
02-22-2019, 09:43 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-20-2015/X-2Z1b.gif (/gif/ferris-buellers-day-off-star-wars-ferrari-flight-X-2Z1b)

eight8toy
02-22-2019, 10:22 AM
That sounds about the norm for auto transport companies. My guys texted saying they would let me know 30 mins to when they were due to arrive, nothing all day then out of the blue they call and say they are here and unloaded the car...right on the side of a busy 6 lane street.

You're at the whim of the driver who is more concerned about his time schedule, not yours unfortunately.

About time
02-22-2019, 10:44 AM
That sounds about the norm for auto transport companies. My guys texted saying they would let me know 30 mins to when they were due to arrive, nothing all day then out of the blue they call and say they are here and unloaded the car...right on the side of a busy 6 lane street.

You're at the whim of the driver who is more concerned about his time schedule, not yours unfortunately.

Thanks for the undstanding, I don't mind his timetable, but when I arrange to be home 2 days in a row and you don't call or show it pisses me off. He called half an hour ago now and said he'd be here within the hour. I guess I got my message across. We will see.

Jonathan
02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Hope it all works out for you by the time it's sitting pretty in your garage.

I think people have auto transport stories the same way people have stories about hospital visits and surgery and follow-ups with doctors.

That sort of bedside manner went out the window about the same time it did with just being considerate in general. What happened to the era where a delivery guy knocked on your door or rang the bell to drop your package off? Not cars, I mean just packages from Fed-Ex or UPS or just the regular mailman. Now, if they don't need something from you (i.e. money or your signature), things just get dumped on the porch and buddy makes a run for it. No ringing of the door bell, no 'here's your package, sir, have a nice day.' Gone is that sort of thing on account of everyone being so busy and because they can't be delayed for even a moment. I think Dr. Lecter would refer to that simply as being rude.

About time
02-22-2019, 01:14 PM
Car arrived, a few things I picked out, the passenger door opens but slips down a few inches, the radio has a short in it. Some of the weather stripping has shrunk and will need replacing. Other then that she sounds amazing. I drove her around the block, not bad at all. I haven't figured out posting photos yet but if anyone wants to send me an email address or phone number to get texts I'll forward them to you so you can post them.

David T
02-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Congrats on your new arrival. Start making up a list of things to do. You may need some door struts or possibly a torsion bar adjustment. It will get better when it gets warmer anyway. Don't worry about the radio for now, you probably need speakers for it too. Check tire pressures and fluid levels. Read the Owner's manual. Unless you intend to drive it right away you don't need to get plates but you should get a Title in your name as soon as you can though. On the first nice day wash the car and clean the interior. Check for stuff left in the car.

About time
02-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Congrats on your new arrival. Start making up a list of things to do. You may need some door struts or possibly a torsion bar adjustment. It will get better when it gets warmer anyway. Don't worry about the radio for now, you probably need speakers for it too. Check tire pressures and fluid levels. Read the Owner's manual. Unless you intend to drive it right away you don't need to get plates but you should get a Title in your name as soon as you can though. On the first nice day wash the car and clean the interior. Check for stuff left in the car.

Will make up a list as soon as I get some real time to look her over, I'm hoping the door strut will fix the lazy passenger door, the drivers works fine. The radio will get done soon enough, I'll be adding a couple of 6"X9's" to a false rear that I make and add a small amp too.

I'll check the tire pressure tomorrow and once I figure out how to open the engine hood I'll check fluids too. I drove her around my block twice, she pulls strong and the exhaust note sounds sweet, the engine work that's been done really sets her apart from the stock D. The 5 speed shifted smooth with no hint of there being any problem. (Only got her into 2nd gear and reverse.)

I don't know if there is an actual owners manual, but will check for one tomorrow. The Fiduciary said she'll put the title in the mail for me tomorrow, if she overnights it like I asked it will arrive Sunday or Monday.

OverlandMan
02-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Will make up a list as soon as I get some real time to look her over, I'm hoping the door strut will fix the lazy passenger door, the drivers works fine. The radio will get done soon enough, I'll be adding a couple of 6"X9's" to a false rear that I make and add a small amp too.

I'll check the tire pressure tomorrow and once I figure out how to open the engine hood I'll check fluids too. I drove her around my block twice, she pulls strong and the exhaust note sounds sweet, the engine work that's been done really sets her apart from the stock D. The 5 speed shifted smooth with no hint of there being any problem. (Only got her into 2nd gear and reverse.)

I don't know if there is an actual owners manual, but will check for one tomorrow. The Fiduciary said she'll put the title in the mail for me tomorrow, if she overnights it like I asked it will arrive Sunday or Monday.

I'm happy for you. This seems to have been a long time coming with all the drama and waiting. I still remember my first month or two of ownership and how excited I was. Get some pics up here so we can see what you're working with.

Door struts are maintenance items on these cars. Plan on replacing them every few years.

The engine compartment release is directly behind the driver seat to the left of the wheel well. There's a pull handle that will open the lower engine cover once you have opened the rear louvre. I don't know the PO mods but if its running KJET, inspect all of the fuel lines ASAP. If they're original, plan on replacing those immediately. Other than your normal fluid level checks and fresh gas, enjoy it!

David T
02-22-2019, 04:29 PM
To get to the motor you must first lift the rear sunshade. If the lock works you release it by squeezing the lock upwards in the center towards the rear. Always lift it evenly both sides, do not allow it to twist or it can crack. The struts should hold it all the way up. When closing, same deal, don't let one side get ahead of the other and twist. Don't let it slam either. Once you have the sunshade up you pull the handle behind the driver on the firewall above the package shelf. That should cause the engine cover to pop up. If not, someone has to pull the handle while someone else lifts the engine cover. Usually happens because the engine cover is rubbing against the rear facia and things need to be adjusted. You lift the engine cover until the center cover stay locks the cover open. NEVER allow anyone to try to close the engine cover without first releasing the cover stay. You do that by lifting the engine cover and pulling the mechanism rearward.

Engine oil dipstick on the left, coolant tank on the right. Oil must be between the full and add mark, the coolant tank 1/2 full cold. Tire pressures on the glove box door. Get the date codes on each tire and battery.

About time
02-22-2019, 04:52 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember my friend telling me among all the mods he's made that he took out the K-jet and made it a carb car.

That will get checked tomorrow time permitting. If I can work out the time I may have another owner stopping by tomorrow afternoon to give me a quick walk through of the car.

New wiper blades are a must.

Thanks for the direction on opening the eng. bay hood.

Farrar
02-22-2019, 07:44 PM
I think I remember my friend telling me among all the mods he's made that he took out the K-jet and made it a carb car.

Welcome to the club! :)

Michael
02-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the club! :)

From what I understand carbed DeLoreans are a pain to mow and weed around in the summer.

About time
02-22-2019, 09:28 PM
From what I understand carbed DeLoreans are a pain to mow and weed around in the summer.

When I factor in that she started on the very first turn of the key I'd say I won't be having that problem, but I'll leave the door open just in case you might be correct this one time. :)

Parzival
02-22-2019, 11:06 PM
there was a carbureted Delorean at DMC Florida when I was there this week, I believe the owner was trying to find out if he still had the k-jet system laying around so they could put it back in. Looked like who ever put the carb in had also cut the engine cover to make room for an air intake.
Is your engine cover cut? Are you going to rebuild the fuel injection system? I'd ask the family if they see anything around the garage that might be it. I doubt he threw it away.
Its not a big deal. It can all be put back to the way it was, just a bit of work is all.

About time
02-23-2019, 12:13 AM
there was a carbureted Delorean at DMC Florida when I was there this week, I believe the owner was trying to find out if he still had the k-jet system laying around so they could put it back in. Looked like who ever put the carb in had also cut the engine cover to make room for an air intake.
Is your engine cover cut? Are you going to rebuild the fuel injection system? I'd ask the family if they see anything around the garage that might be it. I doubt he threw it away.
Its not a big deal. It can all be put back to the way it was, just a bit of work is all.

No offense but what makes you think I'd want to put back the K jet? Right now I'm not 100% sure it's carbed,what I do know is that she starts on the first pull and runs well, why would I try messing with a good thing?

I'll find out tomorrow exactly what's cooking in the engine bay and report back ASAP. If I figure out how to post photos I will.

UK Chris P.
02-23-2019, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE= why would I try messing with a good thing?

My thoughts exactly.........I love the Bosch K-Jet system.

Michael
02-23-2019, 07:41 AM
At the last DCS two venders wearing DeLorean baseball caps assaulted me. They said this is kjet country then they wrapped a fuel line around my neck.

About time
02-23-2019, 10:28 AM
At the last DCS two venders wearing DeLorean baseball caps assaulted me. They said this is kjet country then they wrapped a fuel line around my neck.

Now that's classic!

SamHill
02-23-2019, 11:14 AM

It's time to start believing victims of K-Jet Assault

About time
02-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Okay so a Long time member of the forum dropped by today, he gave my car the once over. First of all it does still have the Kjet system in place, new headers, advanced cams and exhaust work done. She again started on the first pull so all systems are in order and the fuel tank may have a gallon of gas or so. She needs a good cleaning, new tires, as these appear to be from 1995. Got questions, ask away. Oh owners manual was in the glove box. And she's an oct of 81 build but has the digital clock but no gas flad hood.

About time
02-23-2019, 02:52 PM
PS. Vin is : 4850

OverlandMan
02-25-2019, 08:09 AM

this literally made me spit out my drink this morning...classic!

Okay so a Long time member of the forum dropped by today, he gave my car the once over. First of all it does still have the Kjet system in place, new headers, advanced cams and exhaust work done. She again started on the first pull so all systems are in order and the fuel tank may have a gallon of gas or so. She needs a good cleaning, new tires, as these appear to be from 1995. Got questions, ask away. Oh owners manual was in the glove box. And she's an oct of 81 build but has the digital clock but no gas flad hood.

Just because everything seems to be working doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned with safety. I would still recommend checking the fuel lines for safety sake, now that you've confirmed you are still running K-JET. I'm one of those a-holes who's dealt with an engine fire in one of these cars due to original fuel lines rupturing.

David T
02-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Many Deloreans are still running on original fuel lines and we don't see very many problems. That would indicate that it is probably how the lines are handled more than just age. If a line gets kinked, bent, or twisted it is prone to burst. That kind of abuse isn't visible because the lines are covered in rubber. As for safety, I would be more concerned about how old the tires are, if the frame is rotten, and if all of the recalls have been done. Inspect the fuseblock area and the TAB's. Carrying a fire extinguisher is a good idea.

louielouie2000
02-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Many Deloreans are still running on original fuel lines and we don't see very many problems. That would indicate that it is probably how the lines are handled more than just age. If a line gets kinked, bent, or twisted it is prone to burst. That kind of abuse isn't visible because the lines are covered in rubber. As for safety, I would be more concerned about how old the tires are, if the frame is rotten, and if all of the recalls have been done. Inspect the fuseblock area and the TAB's. Carrying a fire extinguisher is a good idea.

For under $300 and roughly an hour installation time, why would you NOT immediately upgrade the fuel lines? After all, you have no clue how the original lines have been handled by an unknown number of hands with unknown skill over their nearly 40 year history. Yes, things like tires & trailing arm bolts are very important safety items... but a failure from one of those is far less likely to destroy your brand new investment than an engine fire would.

For what it's worth, ALWAYS replace the copper crush washers any time you break into the DeLorean fuel system, too. Seeing DeLoreans being consumed by engine fires is heartbreaking & preventable.

ssdelorean
02-25-2019, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE= why would I try messing with a good thing?

My thoughts exactly.........I love the Bosch K-Jet system.

With over 217k miles on my original fuel lines I agree.

For under $300 and roughly an hour installation time, why would you NOT immediately upgrade the fuel lines? After all, you have no clue how the original lines have been handled by an unknown number of hands with unknown skill over their nearly 40 year history. Yes, things like tires & trailing arm bolts are very important safety items... but a failure from one of those is far less likely to destroy your brand new investment than an engine fire would.

For a car that has sat for years and you don't know the history - this would be a reason that I would replace the original fuel lines. If not now, keep a close eye on them and an extinguisher handy just in case. If taken care of and driven regularly, you should have no trouble with the original fuel lines or K-Jet system. It is the long period of un-use that causes many of the system's issues.

David T
02-25-2019, 02:04 PM
In my experience, a line that has been abused, fails pretty soon after the abuse. If the car has been driven for a while and the lines are not an issue you are probably OK. Sitting and not being used doesn't seem to cause the lines to fail. The point about buying a car and not knowing it's history is a valid point. In that case either change the hoses right away or take your chances for a little while, and if you don't have any problems you are probably OK. The K-Jet system runs at a pretty high pressure so if a hose doesn't fail quickly then it is probably safe. I still recommend having a fire extinguisher even if you replace the lines. New parts can fail too. You should never smell raw fuel except maybe during a cold start-up for a moment at most. If you have a persistent smell of fuel you MUST find and fix the source of the leak. On one car I saw the rivets in the fuel sender leaking. Sometimes the gasket is missing on the fuel sender or it just isn't tight enough. The pump boot can deteriorate and fill with fuel. A crush washer can have a tiny leak and you never see it because the fuel vaporizes as it leaks. If you burst a hose the motor will shut down but the fuel will leak all over. The RPM relay should shut the fuel pump down if it is working and wired correctly but the fuel will catch fire when it gets to the hot parts of the motor. If you do have a fire have the fire extinguisher in your hands when you open the engine cover. The fire will be small but once you open the engine cover and give it more air it will suddenly expand in size. No time to run and get the fire extinguisher if you want to minimize the damage. Once the fire gets too big, a hand-held fire extinguisher will not be enough. Try not to run the car and have a fire in your garage or you risk losing the garage too. If your garage is part of your house then the results can be very bad.

About time
02-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys, the car will go to my mechanic once she has plates on her. we'll give the car a once over together, I'll point out the things from my and another's list and allow him the liberty to change out anything he sees as dry/rotted or questionable.

It rained the other night and I left the car cover off on purpose, no leaks at all so that's another good thing, the car came with a Delorean cover so I can now slip that over her until she's ready for the road.

Parzival
02-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys, the car will go to my mechanic once she has plates on her. we'll give the car a once over together, I'll point out the things from my and another's list and allow him the liberty to change out anything he sees as dry/rotted or questionable.

It rained the other night and I left the car cover off on purpose, no leaks at all so that's another good thing, the car came with a Delorean cover so I can now slip that over her until she's ready for the road.

You're a Delorean owner now! Get out there and and change them fuel lines out yourself!
Do what I did, invite an experienced owner over to make sure you dont do something stupid (Likely in my case)
Dana AKA DMC-81 came over and we did what I think has never been done before, we did the entire valley job in one sitting, one day with no breaks! You dont have to go that crazy. But the fuel lines are not to hard and not expensive. I know people still run the original lines, but its not like they cost a thousand dollars, just change em and then stand over your handy work like and automotive god!... well you'll feel like one anyway ;)
Or pay someone to do. I knew my exhaust studs would break, so I paid to have DMCFL that. Some jobs are good for owners to do them selves and others are subject to the need for more equipped facilities with a lift, or better diagnostics.
Ether way you have the whole of the club behind you. We all want to see you take the best care of that car as possible.

FABombjoy
02-25-2019, 04:38 PM
I figured it's not the age of the fuel lines but how they've been treated. I found myself more than once leaning in to do something only to find that I was levering an arm against one of the hoses or barbed ends. There's fuel lines errrrverywhere so it's hard not to do that once in a while.

Jonathan
02-25-2019, 07:20 PM
I figured it's not the age of the fuel lines but how they've been treated. I found myself more than once leaning in to do something only to find that I was levering an arm against one of the hoses or barbed ends. There's fuel lines errrrverywhere so it's hard not to do that once in a while.

Indianapolis Jones agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_rKaNMGlY

About time
02-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Another small hiccup in the world of owning this car which I almost don't legally own yet'ish.

So the title comes, however there is no mileage writing on the title anywhere, little girl at the desk tells me I need to get a mileage verification report done by a police officer.

She prints the form for me and I say, how can an officer verify the actual mileage, the officer can only read what the odometer states, I took a photo of it for you if you'd like to see it?

The officer is sworn to uphold the law of the land she states, Oh, so that explains why so many in law get arrested (I think to myself).

So being I can't legally drive this car sitting in my driveway, how do I get an officer to come verify the mileage? She says to call them.

I go home, do just that and they say they will put my on a list of stops and stop over. Problem I'm having is, the car is not titled in my name yet and the form has a place for me to verify I'm the legal owner, I have nothing more then a canceled check at this point. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wish me luck, will ya.

Michael
02-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Another small hiccup in the world of owning this car which I almost don't legally own yet'ish.

So the title comes, however there is no mileage writing on the title anywhere, little girl at the desk tells me I need to get a mileage verification report done by a police officer.

She prints the form for me and I say, how can an officer verify the actual mileage, the officer can only read what the odometer states, I took a photo of it for you if you'd like to see it?

The officer is sworn to uphold the law of the land she states, Oh, so that explains why so many in law get arrested (I think to myself).

So being I can't legally drive this car sitting in my driveway, how do I get an officer to come verify the mileage? She says to call them.

I go home, do just that and they say they will put my on a list of stops and stop over. Problem I'm having is, the car is not titled in my name yet and the form has a place for me to verify I'm the legal owner, I have nothing more then a canceled check at this point. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wish me luck, will ya.

In my state not only is a mileage verification not required (unless it's a dealer statement that simply must be signed by dealer and seller) but the DeLorean would be mileage exempt due to age. What state are you in that a police officer must verify mileage...and in the training academy, when do they teach this mystery talent of reading an odometer?

Parzival
02-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Wish me luck, will ya.

No big deal, I had to get a vin check by an officer to register mine. They come out and run the vin against their data base to verify its not reported stolen anywhere, they'll sign the paper and you're good to go. I dont recall if he wrote down the milage or not. I believe in Florida the milage on a car of this age is exempt (who knows?) and note, this was before I had it registered so I had only the title with the prior owners name and signature on it (not a problem, thats exactly how it should be at this step, you haven't gotten to the new title step yet.)
It was not a big deal, and the cop was all excited about the Delorean. They love a call like this, it beats busting up a domestic disturbance or something. Look on the bright side, you'll probably be the highlight of his day.
On a side story I ran a 5k a few weeks back and brought the car with me. When I got to the event there were a few cops there working the event, and they all were laughing when they saw me pull up. I spoke to them and the reason they were amused is because apparently my tag had been run a few times that morning already, and it had come across their car's computer. "1981 Delorean" so apparently cops are just out there running tags of cars they think are cool for fun all the time anyway.

dn010
02-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Wish me luck, will ya.

In Florida the buyer & seller both complete and sign an odometer declaration. You put the mileage and then check a box whether it is accurate or not. As far as the VIN check in Florida it only applies to out of state titles and that can be done by law enforcement, by a notary who comes to compare the VIN on the vehicle to the vin on the form and stamps it or at the DMV. Your main concern is the mileage and I think you stated your in NJ so this really doesn't mean anything to you. I'm sure you can work with the officer to figure out how to get the form completed in order to proceed. As far as I remember, there was only a odometer disclosure statement only there as well but who knows what changes happen as time goes by.

The one thing with DMVs/MVDs etc is your outcome really depends on who the person behind the counter ends up being and what their attitude is that day. One time in New York they jammed me up big time trying to register a '57 Cadillac, only go go back the next day, same paperwork, and have 0 issues with a different person. The DMV is the only one damn place I get nervous for this reason. Will I make it out with what I need? Or will I be going back to deal with more nonsense. PITA!

About time
02-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm in NJ and never came across this before, if I had known I'd have filled in the mileage before approaching the window, geeze. I'm hoping they can spare an officer before weeks end so I can get this show on the road.

The biggest problem is the DMV's near me are all city environments with less then stellar staff manning the windows.

I'm sure it will all work itself out, but it just adds days onto the time I get to run the car to stretch her legs. I was kind of hoping today I'd have plates, now I'm at the whim of local PD and again time online at DMV while taking care of work obligations etc.

Parzival
02-27-2019, 08:05 PM
In Florida the buyer & seller both complete and sign an odometer declaration. You put the mileage and then check a box whether it is accurate or not.

Nothing like that happened, DMV never asked a thing about mileage or odometer. The seller was out of state, so I would have defiantly had to do that through the mail if they had asked for it.
Just the vin check, which had to be done by an officer because I couldn't drive the car with out a tag. The conversation during my first trip to the DMV ended with them telling me to go outside with them so they could verify the vin, I told them the car wasn't there and they told me I had to bring it up there.... I said "I can drive it here with a tag?" Then the lady looked puzzled and told me she'd go find out what to do. She came back with the papers for me to have an officer sign. Like you said tho, you talk to one person at the DMV and get one story, and then talk to someone else and get a different story. What a system eh?

David T
02-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Since 911 NJ has gotten very hard to deal with. Their ID verification system was weak and the Feds made them tighten the restrictions. They implemented a 6 point system to try to make it harder to get ID's if you can't prove yourself to their satisfaction. They demand all kinds of paperwork and it is easier for them to to refuse to help you than to bend the rules. And they change the rules all the time. It got so bad some cities were not able to issue Birth Certificates for months till they could prove to the Feds that they had enough controls in place to prevent fraud. Caused a lot of problems for travelers, especially to Puerto Rico. Back then you didn't need a passport to go there but you had to have a Birth certificate. Titling an out of state car in NJ is a hassle. Can take several trips till you can get it all right. It would be nice if, when they refuse you, they tell you everything you need rather than sending you away at the first problem and you come back and they discover another problem.

dn010
02-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Nothing like that happened, DMV never asked a thing about mileage or odometer.

It actually did happen but it doesn't seem to be a huge detail in Florida so you may not have noticed. You wouldn't have to go through a mailing process because the out of state title should have the mileage written in by the seller and the seller obviously must sign the title over - that is the sellers declaration. Then, you filled in the mileage / odometer declaration on your title application with registration and signed the form in order to get your FL title and registration - that is your declaration. According to the form, "Federal and state law requires that you state the mileage" when you're applying for the title so it must be done.

eight8toy
02-28-2019, 01:21 PM
I had to bring my car to the DMV office to have it inspected since it was an out of state car. They checked mileage and such, not a big deal. The guy got a kick out it seeing one regardless.

Why not just drive it to your local police station and have an officer sign off the paperwork. Apologize if they mention you aren't supposed to legally drive it if they ask, are they really going to fine or arrest you for bringing a sweet delorean to them lol?

Parzival
02-28-2019, 01:41 PM
I had to bring my car to the DMV office to have it inspected since it was an out of state car. They checked mileage and such, not a big deal. The guy got a kick out it seeing one regardless.

Why not just drive it to your local police station and have an officer sign off the paperwork. Apologize if they mention you aren't supposed to legally drive it if they ask, are they really going to fine or arrest you for bringing a sweet delorean to them lol?

Cant drive without a tag, and if you do the police station is the last place you'd want to go! lol
Its not that big a deal, I called the police station for the vin check, and an officer was there in 10 minutes.

About time
02-28-2019, 03:24 PM
As much as I want to drive the mile to my local station I won't, let some a hole hit me and my insurance company won't cover the claim.

I spoke to a local officer today and he "on the sly" said, just fill in the paperwork yourself, they won't be checking it."

While I bet he is correct I'll wait for the PD to make time and show up for this check.

Tick tock, all it is, is time.

Silverbullet
03-01-2019, 12:49 AM
ah... car trailer?

About time
03-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Well, DMV strikes again....An officer from my local PD comes over, signs the document, adds the current mileage, his badge number etc.

Me, all happy, square away my day and run over to DMV happy as a pig in crapola, right......WRONG!

OK so the document verifying the mileage/vin # is fine, but they now ware curious that the title itself has no listed mileage on it whatsoever. After a big powwow with the clerk and supervisor I'm told, "You can't tile this vehicle until you get a statement from California DMV with previously listed mileage."

I ask, Just how am I supposed to do that? Blank looks and crickets is what I get.

Being short on time (Yes I do work), I leave to fight another day, I'll go to a different DMV and hopefully get a better result, fingers crossed. I know this will work out, it's just a matter of time and frustration.

Thanks for letting me vent.

eight8toy
03-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Maybe try pulling a carfax and hopefully there is some history listed there that might have an old mileage from when it was last registered.

About time
03-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Maybe try pulling a carfax and hopefully there is some history listed there that might have an old mileage from when it was last registered.

Good idea.

David T
03-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Is there a place on the Title to actually put the mileage? On New Jersey Titles the seller has a spot to put the mileage. If so, just fill lin the mileage. Otherwise you might have to go back to the fiduciary and ask him to fill out some kind of California mileage verification form. Maybe some calls to Trenton or California may help. Seems like they are going out of their way to make it hard for you on a 30 year old car that the mileage doesn't really matter that much anymore. Maybe they think it rolled over? Perhaps a Carfax report can help.

About time
03-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Is there a place on the Title to actually put the mileage? On New Jersey Titles the seller has a spot to put the mileage. If so, just fill lin the mileage. Otherwise you might have to go back to the fiduciary and ask him to fill out some kind of California mileage verification form. Maybe some calls to Trenton or California may help. Seems like they are going out of their way to make it hard for you on a 30 year old car that the mileage doesn't really matter that much anymore. Maybe they think it rolled over? Perhaps a Carfax report can help.

I really think I'm just getting the bad luck of the draw at the teller window. The teller/clerk next to the one I had rolled her eyes when I was being wreaked over the coals as if to say, "That's BS, just give the man his new title and move it along."

I'll go to Bergen Co. on Monday if time permits and see what gives there, if not I'll try once again, with hopefully a new clerk.

Farrar
03-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Must be something about where I've lived, but in all of the years I've owned my car (in three different states), on the title they've simply put "EXEMPT" under "odometer" because once a car is over a certain age they simply don't care. As a result, I've had no trouble registering it. In Florida I did have to get a "VIN check," which was a first (Louisiana and New York didn't care).

Good luck.

Parzival
03-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Must be something about where I've lived, but in all of the years I've owned my car (in three different states), on the title they've simply put "EXEMPT" under "odometer" because once a car is over a certain age they simply don't care. As a result, I've had no trouble registering it. In Florida I did have to get a "VIN check," which was a first (Louisiana and New York didn't care).

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine says this too, I will confirm when I'm home and can look at the title

About time
04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Well smother me in honey and tie me to a tree, I got a clean title yesterday and managed to get plates! Yippy, filled her with super, took the car for a ride around town. No complaints to speak of, but I do notice a little water in front on the drivers side after I park her. It's not gas, has no odor or smell so I'm assuming just plain water, I just don't know where it's coming from.

She runs high RPM at idle after being run, between 1500-2000 RPM, is there a simple way to adjust that down?

Short of that, she changes gears easily and freely, revs well and rides solid. Questions or comments?

dn010
04-04-2019, 03:44 PM
The water could be from the washer bottle/washer bottle cover (106087), it is up in front of the driver front wheel. See if there are any drips coming from that box or if there are even any holes drilled in it.

With the idle, I'd start with the engine running, open up the engine compartment and see if you can turn the throttle spool by hand in the closed/idle direction (not so that the engine revs). If it lowers the idle then the spool is sticking. It also could be an adjustment at the spool if that doesn't do anything.

mluder
04-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Well smother me in honey and tie me to a tree, I got a clean title yesterday and managed to get plates! Yippy, filled her with super, took the car for a ride around town. No complaints to speak of, but I do notice a little water in front on the drivers side after I park her. It's not gas, has no odor or smell so I'm assuming just plain water, I just don't know where it's coming from.

She runs high RPM at idle after being run, between 1500-2000 RPM, is there a simple way to adjust that down?

Short of that, she changes gears easily and freely, revs well and rides solid. Questions or comments?

FWIW - You don't need to run super... Most of the time regular old 87 or 89 octane is fine. Remember when the car was built...

Cheers
Steve

David T
04-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Super (or Plus or Premium) is not necessary but you will notice sightly better gas mileage. Your high idle could just be looseness (play) in the throttle linkage. Try pushing the throttle arm all the way to idle and hitting the idle micro. If that does it you can adjust the quadrant link to push the throttle arm all the way to idle. Or it could be all of your adjustments are off and everything needs to be adjusted properly. Run a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner through a tank of gas to clean up the injectors. The water can also be the radiator or the hose leaking in the front left corner. Keep an eye on the coolant level.

OverlandMan
04-05-2019, 08:08 AM
so 13 pages deep in this thread and still not one picture of your car since you took ownership?

About time
04-05-2019, 08:35 AM
so 13 pages deep in this thread and still not one picture of your car since you took ownership?
I'm a tech idiot, give a phone number or e-mail address and I'll gladly send you some photos to post on my behalf.

About time
04-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Can you guys tell me if a "STAGE II" engine requires premium or super gas? While this car doesn't have an official stage II it does have headers, CAM work upgraded exhaust etc.

For the few thousand miles I'll be driving her a year I don't mind the extra cost of the fuel, at some point I'll try a lower grade fuel amd see how she runs, thanks.

David T
04-05-2019, 09:55 AM
If you hear knocking then you must either use a higher octane fuel or retard the timing. It will depend on the ambient temperature and how large the load, for instance, if you are going up a long hill on a hot day.

Mark D
04-05-2019, 11:35 AM
I'm a tech idiot, give a phone number or e-mail address and I'll gladly send you some photos to post on my behalf.

Here's some help on adding photos when replying in a thread:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59633&d=1554478539

The photos will not show up full size and in-line like the screen grab above (which uses a different, more complicated process,)but they will be attached as a smaller "thumbnail" at the end of your post like this that people will need to click on to view full size:

About time
04-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Here's some help on adding photos when replying in a thread:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59633&d=1554478539

The photos will not show up full size and in-line like the screen grab above (which uses a different, more complicated process,)but they will be attached as a smaller "thumbnail" at the end of your post like this that people will need to click on to view full size:

Photos are on my cell phone.

Jonathan
04-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Photos are on my cell phone.

Email them to me if you like and I'll post them.

[email protected]

About time
04-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Email them to me if you like and I'll post them.

[email protected]

Email sent thanks. If you want a few more let me know

CFI
04-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Can you guys tell me if a "STAGE II" engine requires premium or super gas? While this car doesn't have an official stage II it does have headers, CAM work upgraded exhaust etc.

For the few thousand miles I'll be driving her a year I don't mind the extra cost of the fuel, at some point I'll try a lower grade fuel amd see how she runs, thanks.

I have a Stage II and always run premium. I believe that is what DMCH recommends, based on more aggressive timing. I could be wrong though. At any rate, premium can’t hurt.

Michael
04-05-2019, 10:29 PM
I have a Stage II and always run premium. I believe that is what DMCH recommends, based on more aggressive timing. I could be wrong though. At any rate, premium can’t hurt.

You are correct. High octane recommended for stage II (and no doubt stage III)

Fuel octane debate in 3...2...1...

Jonathan
04-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Car looks nice dude. Send more if you'd like and I'll post 'em for you. I'm sure others would like to see more. Interior shots and for certain the engine bay. Cheers.

eight8toy
04-06-2019, 02:20 AM
Was the driver's door regrained or replaced? Looks different from rest of stainless. Nice looking flat hood!

About time
04-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Car looks nice dude. Send more if you'd like and I'll post 'em for you. I'm sure others would like to see more. Interior shots and for certain the engine bay. Cheers.

Thanks for posting them for me, give me a few days, with 2 kids and a wife I'm kept busy. I've got to clean her up some more and I'll take some more shots and e-mail them over. Thanks again.

About time
04-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Was the driver's door regrained or replaced? Looks different from rest of stainless. Nice looking flat hood!

I don't know for a fact about either option on the drivers door but as far as I know it's all original. That's the only picture it's shows that way in, I'll take more and see.

Got to clean her up, right now I have no room in the garage so when it rains she gets dirty.

Nicholas R
04-08-2019, 06:51 AM
You are correct. High octane recommended for stage II (and no doubt stage III)

Fuel octane debate in 3...2...1...

Does the stage II actually change the compression ratio of the engine?

Michael
04-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Does the stage II actually change the compression ratio of the engine?

I don't think so but the ignition is slightly advanced. The cams might necessitate higher octane as well but I have no idea if they are degreed or not. One of the vendors said to run lower octane and if you don't knock then fine but you don't always hear knock and I don't have a data logger. For as little as I drive my car and the 10 to 15 cent difference in price, it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

About time
04-08-2019, 07:38 AM
I don't think so but the ignition is slightly advanced. The cams might necessitate higher octane as well but I have no idea if they are degreed or not. One of the vendors said to run lower octane and if you don't knock then fine but you don't always hear knock and I don't have a data logger. For as little as I drive my car and the 10 to 15 cent difference in price, it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

In my case the "Stage II" wasn't done at a DMC facility, it was done at a location in So. California that the owner has since sold and retired. Advanced cams, headers, air intake, exhaust upgrades and I have no way of knowing if the compression ratio has changed. I may try a mid grade fuel to see but as mentioned the limited number of miles won't kill me to pay for super.

I have to ask, where does super cost only $.15 more per gal then regular or mid grade, here in NJ super is a good $.75 higher then regular and $.30 higher then a mid grade.

Michael
04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
I have to ask, where does super cost only $.15 more per gal then regular or mid grade, here in NJ super is a good $.75 higher then regular and $.30 higher then a mid grade.

In E TN. Gas prices are a bit different and quite seasonal but you are right. The last time I actually compared prices(maybe 20 years or more?), you paid .10 to. 15 difference between grades which pretty much illustrates how much importance I put on the price of gas.

Heck I put premium in my 1500 work van...just because. The only thing that gets regular is the lawn equipment.

About time
04-10-2019, 04:52 PM
I've had the chance to drive the car a few times now, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the overall drivability of the car. The drivetrain shifts smoothly and without effort, the engine starts right up with the turn of the key, no cranking and cranking needed. Very happy with this car.

David T
04-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Since the car hasn't been driven for a while pay attention to the steering if it wanders or leads to one side and if it pulls to one side when braking. Watch your fluid levels and tire pressures. Till you are confident with the car use the odometer to cross/check fuel level and watch the temp gauge closely.

About time
04-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Since the car hasn't been driven for a while pay attention to the steering if it wanders or leads to one side and if it pulls to one side when braking. Watch your fluid levels and tire pressures. Till you are confident with the car use the odometer to cross/check fuel level and watch the temp gauge closely.

The car takes awhile to warm up, the temp gauge seems to stay at the 1/4 mark. The fuel gauge doesn't seem to be the most accurate, the fuel light comes on and the tank will only take 8 gals. So far the brakes seem fine and the car doesn't pull, some vibration in the wheel but don't think it's a problem, more of the fact it's manual steering. She's going into the shop come Monday for a full checkout.

Love the feedback and suggestions, thanks.