PDA

View Full Version : Delorean-specific Spare Parts To Keep With the Car for Emergencies and Long Trips

DeloreanJoshQ
09-23-2011, 09:16 PM
On the old DMCTalk this topic was covered well.....

I'll start with some items...please add to the list...

Delorean-specific items and spare parts to keep with the car for emergencies and long trips/items that are common to fail:

-Spare RPM Relay
-Spare Belts
-Jumpers
-Wiring Diagram
-Shop Manual

sean
09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Fuses
Zip ties
Duct tape
Circuit breakers
Teflon tape
Oil filter
Fuel filter

mluder
09-24-2011, 12:53 AM
AAA (triple A) card. ;)

stevedmc
09-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Fuel pump if you don't trust the one you have.

Cory W
09-24-2011, 01:01 AM
TABs
Pivot Bolt (manual transmission)
RPM relay
Any jack less than 30 yrs. old
Emergency Parts Crossover List

stevedmc
09-24-2011, 01:03 AM
A smart phone capable of accessing DMCTalk

Citizen
09-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I especially like the smart phone idea...so to access DMCtalk. I had never thought of that, and now I think I'll upgrade to a smart phone.

I wonder about the oil filter though...do you really need an oil filter for a trip?

robvanderveer
09-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Blanket and a bottle of water.

BTTF-1
09-24-2011, 02:56 PM
A great mechanic in the passengers seat?

Ed:yesss::yesss:

Bitsyncmaster
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I carry a spare front and rear wheel bearing. Not a common failure but usually I'm driving to a show where lots of other DeLoreans are. Someone may really need one someday.

Chris Burns
09-24-2011, 07:26 PM
In my truck I carry as many tools as possible. I would carry tools, spare belts, spare battery, spare hoses, and a cell phone on full charge! This would necessary for ANY classic car.

Ron
09-24-2011, 08:27 PM
AAA (triple A) card. ;)

Fuel pump if you don't trust the one you have.

I like these two best so far.
I never did a lot of traveling in the D. Only thing I have that didn't come with it is a fire extinguisher.

Before it's over, we'll have a list like the Gilligan's Island show...too big to fit on the island.

EdR5150
09-25-2011, 01:09 PM
A spare tire that actually holds air (replace the 30 year old rubber, or get a different spare)
A smartphone with charger, and maybe even a spare battery (dead cell phones are useless)

nullset
09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Bourbon

sdg3205
09-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I keep 1.5 L of coolant on hand too.

It's come in handy when a hose clamp off the pump came loose.

cdrusn
10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a web tow rope. I wouldn't want to be working on my car on a narrow road with no pull off. Just put the wings up and the flashers on and someone will stop to check it out. Almost anything can tow you to the nearest gas station or at least a wide part of the road. Just remember to use your brake to slow down the car in front of you so you don't run into their rear end.

stevedmc
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a web tow rope. I wouldn't want to be working on my car on a narrow road with no pull off. Just put the wings up and the flashers on and someone will stop to check it out. Almost anything can tow you to the nearest gas station or at least a wide part of the road. Just remember to use your brake to slow down the car in front of you so you don't run into their rear end.

There is no need for a tow if you fix it on the side of the road or do a band-aid repair. I've come to the conclusion that its easier doing roadside repair than going through the roadside assistance crap.

The last time I called for assistance was because the car wouldn't start. I figured I would call roadside assistance and ask for someone to come and try jump starting the car. I waited an hour for the man to show up. The car didn't jump start, and the driver got cocky and refused to tow me on his flat bed because he was afraid of messing up my car.

To make a long story short, I push started the car a few minutes after he left and I was on my way. A few days later I determined the problem was due to an incorrectly wired circuit breaker.

ccurzio
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Bourbon

This is a tremendously important item that should not go overlooked.