PDA

View Full Version : General Auto-to-manual shifter plate

DCUK Martin
09-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm currently restoring #3352 and was able to get my hands on a completely refurbished chassis. Unfortunately it was for an automatic and #3352 is a manual. I've done a conversion before and the custom work involves the gearstick mount which has different mounts in a different place and at a different height!

This time around, I designed the adapter in cad so I could reproduce it in the future. The photo shows the second physical attempt which I subsequently modified by hand (it's now in the chassis), and the cad model is the finished article ready for the future. I had it water-jet cut in 12mm aluminium plate. The small holes were tapped to M6 and studding used to mount the gearstick on top of 12 spacers cut at the same time to save cost.

I added the DMC logo because I could :wink:

Ron
09-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Why 3 v/s 4 elongated holes?

DCUK Martin
09-24-2011, 04:09 PM
The front'right mounts interefere with each other. Decided simply to ditch the lower one and mount using three bolts. Given the thickness of the plate and the surface area, it's plenty strong enough. I could have got more creative but it simply didn't need it.

You also have to cut off a strip from the chassis to the left of the hole and drill the crossgate cable hole. Botht hese jobs would have been a complete nightmare without my dremmel!

Dracula
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Any interest in selling any more of these? I'll be needing one for my current car and I like this option a lot better than cutting up my replacement frame.