PDA

View Full Version : no power to fuel pump what can I do?

RICHB
04-13-2019, 06:55 PM
I replaced the rpm and lambda relays , still no power at fuel pump.

Jonathan
04-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Make sure the inertia switch hasn't tripped. The plunger needs to be in the down position for there to be power going to the pump. If it's up, it won't let the pump run (will also keep your door locks unlocked as another indicator).

DMC-81
04-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Hi, and welcome! Also, can you check fuse number 7? Is the power there, and is there any signs of melting?

Bitsyncmaster
04-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Your engine has to be running (ignition firing) to get power to fuel pump. Lambda relay has no effect on fuel pump running.

RICHB
04-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Make sure the inertia switch hasn't tripped. The plunger needs to be in the down position for there to be power going to the pump. If it's up, it won't let the pump run (will also keep your door locks unlocked as another indicator).

inertia switch plunger down

RICHB
04-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Hi, and welcome! Also, can you check fuse number 7? Is the power there, and is there any signs of melting?

#7 fuse ok no melting

RICHB
04-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Your engine has to be running (ignition firing) to get power to fuel pump. Lambda relay has no effect on fuel pump running.

engine not starting , but turns over ok

DMC-81
04-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Ok. Do you have a multi-meter to check that you have 12v at the pump (or is that what you already did to report no power)?

Also, any relevant history would help. i.e. Is this a new problem, and if the car was running recently, did you have any unusual symptoms?

RICHB
04-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Ok. Do you have a multi-meter to check that you have 12v at the pump (or is that what you already did to report no power)?

Also, any relevant history would help. i.e. Is this a new problem, and if the car was running recently, did you have any unusual symptoms?

I used a multi meter and the car was running on 4-10 with no problems but would not start the next day.

Jonathan
04-13-2019, 10:58 PM
See if any of the electrical connections on the ballast resistor are loose or disconnected.

Is your car an automatic or manual trans? The car won't start on automatics if the shift lever isn't all the way up into park.

Bitsyncmaster
04-14-2019, 04:02 AM
When you crank the engine with the no starting problem, do you see the tach moving?

RICHB
04-14-2019, 05:39 PM
See if any of the electrical connections on the ballast resistor are loose or disconnected.

Is your car an automatic or manual trans? The car won't start on automatics if the shift lever isn't all the way up into park.

my car is manual trans , I will have to check the connections on the ballast resister connections but they look as if they are on good.

Chris 16409
04-14-2019, 08:28 PM
It is possible the inertia switch is bad. You can bypass it with a jumper at the electrical connector. Wouldn't hurt to try.

RICHB
04-16-2019, 08:39 PM

car is manual , found wire bad on ballast resistor. repaired and car started. THANKS for every ones help.