PDA

View Full Version : General Custom Lighter LEDs

Bitsyncmaster
09-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I had this posted on the old forum but here it is again. I have mounted this and will get more photos later.

Bitsyncmaster
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I think the black paint helped a little but not sure if there's much I can do about side view. Maybe move the LEDs further away.

Always hard to get photos of LEDs so these are just to give you an idea.

protodelorean
09-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Nice!

Ozzie
09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
:thumbup2:

Very nice.

That rimg is one very tough piece to make light up. I've replaced the incandescent with an LED version, w/o any real improvement. The bulb slides into such a small opening, which limits the size of the bulb, and mounts too far away from the ring, to do any real good. Your solution seems to have really done the trick. Congrats.

DeloreanJoshQ
09-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Very nice.

That rimg is one very tough piece to make light up. I've replaced the incandescent with an LED version, w/o any real improvement. The bulb slides into such a small opening, which limits the size of the bulb, and mounts too far away from the ring, to do any real good. Your solution seems to have really done the trick. Congrats.

+1

dvonk
09-26-2011, 12:43 AM
looks great! :smile:

1batt4u
09-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Very Nice!!!

I also noticed you connected wires to the window switches then to the harness, that way the switches fit easier with out cutting any openings!

Bitsyncmaster
09-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Very Nice!!!

I also noticed you connected wires to the window switches then to the harness, that way the switches fit easier with out cutting any openings!

That was my fix for the longer switches. But it makes it easy to disconnect them under the ash tray anyway. I also wired the LEDs so they only come on with the lights on.

TTait
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Very nice.

Would electroluminescent wire be bright enough? $9 online...

1batt4u
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
That was my fix for the longer switches. But it makes it easy to disconnect them under the ash tray anyway. I also wired the LEDs so they only come on with the lights on.

I am planning on doing that as well, lighting the switches with the lights on and gonna try to do the same with the A/C Fascia.

Bitsyncmaster
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Would electroluminescent wire be bright enough? $9 online...

It might work better but you would have to try it. I'm still playing with my design.

Bitsyncmaster
09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Here are some better photos taken with a tripod since you don't use flash with LEDs. It's so hard to get the true colors with photos of LEDs.

I misplaced my two black screws for the shifter plate:hmm:

Ozzie
09-30-2011, 08:30 PM

DeloreanJoshQ
10-02-2011, 08:22 AM

What Ozzie said...let us know when these are available!

john 05141
10-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Now I am beginning to be sorry I removed my lighter. I have been looking for hours on the internet for LEd light new sigarette lighter with blue color. So I built in a non-illuminated version under the kneepad.

Awesome... I wonder what great idea comes next....
John

DeloreanJoshQ
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Here are some better photos taken with a tripod since you don't use flash with LEDs. It's so hard to get the true colors with photos of LEDs.

What cigar lighter element is that? I noticed it has the white stencil indicator on it as oppossed to the stock plain black....

Bitsyncmaster
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
What cigar lighter element is that? I noticed it has the white stencil indicator on it as oppossed to the stock plain black....

It's the one Farrar had found online. My thanks to him for finding it. It fits perfectly replacing ours and is the proper size for your adapters to power your electronics (or my battery charger).

Ozzie
10-03-2011, 06:47 PM

It's the one Farrar had found online. My thanks to him for finding it. It fits perfectly replacing ours and is the proper size for your adapters to power your electronics (or my battery charger).

http://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/normal/normal_e10639f68f65ce4ccd86dcb25eac2838.jpg
Yeah, I got one of those when it came up. It's a direct replacement, the diameter fits more modern plugs, but it's still shallow like the stock, and thus may still have fit issues with certain plugs.

They're available available here (http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=4482&category_parent_id=).

Farrar
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM

I sympathize -- I can't tell you how many times I have misplaced those screws and the ones that hold the coin tray down. If you go to the hardware store, though, you can find black anodized stainless screws of the right size and thread pitch. Look where they keep the sheet metal or decorative trim screws at Lowe's, Home Depot, or such. You can also get them with captured washers if you also lost the original trim washers.

Glad the lighter's working out. I feel guilty that I still haven't installed mine yet. :lol:

Farrar

DeloreanJoshQ
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/normal/normal_e10639f68f65ce4ccd86dcb25eac2838.jpg
Yeah, I got one of those when it came up. It's a direct replacement, the diameter fits more modern plugs, but it's still shallow like the stock, and thus may still have fit issues with certain plugs.

They're available available here (http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=4482&category_parent_id=).

What LED light bulb does this use?

Ozzie
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Same type as stock.

Bitsyncmaster
10-04-2011, 01:14 PM

I made my own with 8 LEDs. I think it's the same bulb as the OEM unit.

Edit:
Missed Ozzie's post. That's what happens when I open the forum from the email of a reply.

DeloreanJoshQ
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Does the ring on this version light up any better than stock with LEDs?

Ozzie
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Does the ring on this version light up any better than stock with LEDs?

Not a bit.
Same exact unit. May help *SLIGHTLY* because the green plastic is more clear (because it's newer) - but a hardly noticeable difference to the illumination effect.

Bitsyncmaster
10-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Not a bit.
Same exact unit. May help *SLIGHTLY* because the green plastic is more clear (because it's newer) - but a hardly noticeable difference to the illumination effect.

Agree. Just thought of something someone could try. Paint the metal case white that fits into the plastic. That may cause the light to be more even around the ring. I painted mine black and also lightly sanded the plastic ring on the inside. That was done to try to even up the light but I'm not sure it helped much.

Use your old lighter to experiment with if your buying the new one.

TTait
04-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Just went to buy one of these, but it comes in at $30 shipped. Anyone try any others, like the ones on ebay? $10 shipped is far more palatable...

DeloreanJoshQ
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Will these be at DCS '12?

Bitsyncmaster
06-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Will these be at DCS '12?

I have not done a PCB for these yet. Not sure if people would buy enough to do the PCB. Most people expect LEDs to cost a few bucks and would not buy one that would cost about $30 to $50. You just can't get the cost down unless you have them machine built in the 10,000 quantities.